What was things like when D-Addicts torrent section was around?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Sharif

What was things like when D-Addicts torrent section was around?

Post by Sharif » Jun 8th, '18, 13:02

I actually got into dramas after the fall of D-addicts so I was completely unaware of it and also completely baffled with finding nothing online when it came to torrents, I thought perhaps it was too niche for anybody to care, eventually stumbled upon a Reddit post and begged someone for an invitation for Avistaz and fast forward a year or so, I am starting to notice common fansub groups and basically what I went through when I was a heavy anime advocate. :dance:

Usually the case for western shows, it's super common to find the same upload of a show on private site on a public site and just get it from there but the concept was always a hit or miss when it came to J/Kdramas.

I actually stumbled upon this site from a post about a show "At home dad" trying to get my hands on the special episode subs that don't seem to exist on subscene either, I was shocked yet again to see members dating from 2003! The person I wanted to bug was last online in 2010, that was 8 years ago! :O

How were things back then for senior members here? (I apologize if it's the wrong section)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: How was things back when D-Addicts was around?

Post by Keiko1981 » Jun 8th, '18, 14:15

The site started in 2003, at the time only as tracker. Later a forum was added. Some years later the tracker was replaced with only magnet links.

From 2006 (when I joined) until 2014 when the torrent section closed, the site was very active with several uploaders and many more active fansubbers.

After the torrent section closed, some uploaders have moved to Nyaa. Nowadays you have to do some more searching to find what you're looking for.

Sharif

Post by Sharif » Jun 8th, '18, 15:47

I saw that post already after discovering this forum and was pretty bummed about the closer of d-addicts, it felt like kickass all over again but minus the fact it's been many years but feels were still there.

wow so there are other places out there but it seems pretty scattered, it's kinda like what happened with kickass and P-Bay went kaput (temporarily at least with collateral damage too..), everything ended up being scattered and you have to go a specific place for the specific type of content.

I am curious, so I am guessing you have been watching from all the way from back then. (I am much younger)
Did it ever come to a point where you would go like, mann all these shows have the same plot and I am sure this going to happen next, after watching so many shows way over a decade?
or does that fresh new show essence still kick on over the years?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jun 8th, '18, 15:59

Yes, still there floating in space.

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer the your question about drama, I'm sure there are those who have watched more dramas than me. Working on subtitles means less time to watch other dramas. I do still think unique dramas appear now and then.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 8th, '18, 18:50

Please check these two (2) links (which are actually from the same web site):

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Kdrama_Fansub_Map

These are pretty good (but not complete) at finding which dramas are being subbed and where to find the subs.

Also J-raws has a lot of the J-dramas for really fast downloading.

I have only been around since 2011 and was really disappointed when the torrent section HAD to be shut down.

:study:

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jun 9th, '18, 21:27

Sharif wrote:Did it ever come to a point where you would go like, mann all these shows have the same plot and I am sure this going to happen next, after watching so many shows way over a decade?
It does. Almost nothing surprises me anymore, and I've been watching dramas since I was a kid. That's not to say I'm bored, but that it's not difficult to guess what happens next. Sometimes there are little surprises here and there in execution but nothing that will shock you to the moon and back. Dramas have a lot of telltale signs that long-time viewers can pick out pretty quickly.
Sharif wrote:or does that fresh new show essence still kick on over the years?
Very rarely for me, and if it happens, it's only because I'm not as yet familiar with how the particular country's dramas work, or that a rare drama has bucked the trend and done something truly different. For example, when I first started on J-dramas, everything was new and refreshing, and I really liked how they handled certain things and issues. J-dramas still surprise me once in a while with how dark and bold they can go, but that doesn't come by often these days.

As for d-addicts back in the old days, it was as Keiko1981 said - very active with many uploaders, fansub groups and even weekly initiatives. It's harder to find things now, but that also teaches fans to be patient and not expect things to be served on a platter.

Sharif

Post by Sharif » Jun 10th, '18, 01:36

dhisashi wrote:Please check these two (2) links (which are actually from the same web site):

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Kdrama_Fansub_Map

These are pretty good (but not complete) at finding which dramas are being subbed and where to find the subs.

Also J-raws has a lot of the J-dramas for really fast downloading.

I have only been around since 2011 and was really disappointed when the torrent section HAD to be shut down.

:study:
Thank you, this will come in handy! I'll get back to this post and go through this from time to time. Glad I made this post. :salut:

That site j-raws surprised me when I didn't get a million pop-ups and redirecting to get to a random series I tried to download as a test run :dance:

Sharif

Post by Sharif » Jun 10th, '18, 01:43

Keiko1981 wrote:Yes, still there floating in space.

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer the your question about drama, I'm sure there are those who have watched more dramas than me. Working on subtitles means less time to watch other dramas. I do still think unique dramas appear now and then.
Thanks for the response anyway :D

kitty10 wrote:
Sharif wrote:Did it ever come to a point where you would go like, mann all these shows have the same plot and I am sure this going to happen next, after watching so many shows way over a decade?
It does. Almost nothing surprises me anymore, and I've been watching dramas since I was a kid. That's not to say I'm bored, but that it's not difficult to guess what happens next. Sometimes there are little surprises here and there in execution but nothing that will shock you to the moon and back. Dramas have a lot of telltale signs that long-time viewers can pick out pretty quickly.
Sharif wrote:or does that fresh new show essence still kick on over the years?
Very rarely for me, and if it happens, it's only because I'm not as yet familiar with how the particular country's dramas work, or that a rare drama has bucked the trend and done something truly different. For example, when I first started on J-dramas, everything was new and refreshing, and I really liked how they handled certain things and issues. J-dramas still surprise me once in a while with how dark and bold they can go, but that doesn't come by often these days.

As for d-addicts back in the old days, it was as Keiko1981 said - very active with many uploaders, fansub groups and even weekly initiatives. It's harder to find things now, but that also teaches fans to be patient and not expect things to be served on a platter.
I started noticing trend back when I used to watch Anime more often and it was usually a similar genre, I started to notice a trend here and there, I had a feeling it'd be same with dramas too. I am still in the stage especially with Japanese dramas where things are still fresh to me.
I thought I was coming to my own conclusions in my head when I noticed a particular style and cultural influence when I switch between Korean and Japanese shows lol.

Do you mind telling me of a show that'd fall under dark and bold for you, I wanna add it to my watch list

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jun 10th, '18, 06:24

Sharif wrote:Do you mind telling me of a show that'd fall under dark and bold for you, I wanna add it to my watch list
Byakuyako - At Nyaa
Kono yo no Hate (Drug abuse) - at Rare and Old Doramas
Koukou Kyoushi (1993) (Forbidden love / sexual abuse) - At Nyaa
Last Friends (Physical abuse and other things) - At Nyaa
Mother (Neglect of / Kidnapping of child) - At Nyaa

No Eng softsubs, but worth to mention. Was hardsubbed at one time.
Seija no Koushin - (Abuse of handicapped children) - At Nyaa

Dramas I can post
Bullying - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/LIFE
Harassment at work - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Naka_nai_to_Kimeta_Hi
Various short stories - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tsubasa_no_Oreta_Tenshitachi

Sharif

Post by Sharif » Jun 10th, '18, 11:38

Keiko1981 wrote:
Sharif wrote:Do you mind telling me of a show that'd fall under dark and bold for you, I wanna add it to my watch list
Byakuyako - At Nyaa
Kono yo no Hate (Drug abuse) - at Rare and Old Doramas
Koukou Kyoushi (1993) (Forbidden love / sexual abuse) - At Nyaa
Last Friends (Physical abuse and other things) - At Nyaa
Mother (Neglect of / Kidnapping of child) - At Nyaa

No Eng softsubs, but worth to mention. Was hardsubbed at one time.
Seija no Koushin - (Abuse of handicapped children) - At Nyaa

Dramas I can post
Bullying - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/LIFE
Harassment at work - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Naka_nai_to_Kimeta_Hi
Various short stories - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tsubasa_no_Oreta_Tenshitachi
Dark and bold really did mean dark and bold..it was wrong of me to not take that seriously :goggle:
I have no idea which one to watch, they are all so different.

I just realised I watched last friends already, I ain't completely lost and know what to expect, last friends was realllll deep

Thank you btw :salut:

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jun 11th, '18, 16:24

Sharif wrote: Do you mind telling me of a show that'd fall under dark and bold for you, I wanna add it to my watch list
Keiko gave some good suggestions, so do try them. I would just say I didn't find Byakuyako particularly dark, but that's probably cuz I read the source novel already and much preferred it. I do recommend reading it - the published English title is Journey Under the Midnight Sun, by Higashino Keigo.

You might also want to try these:

- Hitori Shizuka
- Gaiji Keisatsu
- Lady Joker
- Kageri Yuku Natsu
- Soratobu Taiya

WOWOW does great dramas, you should check them out.

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Jul 1st, '18, 06:18

I didn't know DA started in 2003; for some reason I thought it was earlier. Then I was around basically from the beginning. I remember getting Moto Kare raws from here and watching it without subs as I was totally into Uchiyama Rina then. This was right after I found J-TV's Bus Stop on Tokyo Toshokan. It was labeled as "fun, romantic comedy", and I was looking for something different than the anime I watched then. That hooked me into J-Dramas (and Uchiyama Rina). When I looked for more, I found DA. I lurked here for over a year, and then decided that I really should thank all the uploaders and subbers and finally joined the forum.

It really was a one stop shopping site back then for dramas and subs. There was the Series of the Week that people could vote for. We were all so spoiled that everyone just assumed you could find it here, even older shows as they were on the tracker. Once that went down, I wonder how many old shows were lost forever.
First there were really only hardsubs from big groups that I could play on my PS3. Then when shows were raw avis and only srts were available, I used to make a Divx file to play on my PS3 as media servers couldn't handle subs then (at least the ones I found). Then PS3MS could handle avi and srts, and life got better. Then mp4s came out, and that broke PS3MS. That got fixed, then DA allowed ass subs. Which broke PS3MS again.

When the tracker went down it really showed how fragile this hobby was. furransu picked up the slack for years and became the de facto source that everyone timed to. Then s/he stopped, then nyaa.se went down. I got worried when VampireXxX went on their recent hiatus. LOL.

I really appreciate VampireXxX and Keiko1981 for all their uploads, as well as the anonymous ones. Much love to you guys!

nuve
Fansubber
Fansubber
Slovakia

Post by nuve » Jul 2nd, '18, 05:36

kitty10 wrote: As for d-addicts back in the old days, it was as Keiko1981 said - very active with many uploaders, fansub groups and even weekly initiatives. It's harder to find things now, but that also teaches fans to be patient and not expect things to be served on a platter.
well, in generall, forum was always a good place to exchange your thoughts. I remember my first forum like 20 years ago, where people were exchanging their ideas and thoughts about japan's anime/drama in generall on daily basic.that forum doesn't exist anymore - people went to another places.
I get the feeling that nowadays forum looks like very old-dated/timed for a conversation. you have many others, more interactive, forms of comunication with people you want to. in this way, forum is a static, so somehow not fitting this time when people are always "running and don't have time to sit down and listen"
seeing this,sometimes I'm sad and miss old times, but you can't beat the progress, we can just look and experience what will it bring for us in next years.

boaayu

Post by boaayu » Jul 18th, '18, 01:33

Things were fun and downloading was a rare thing back in those days now Korean dramas are bad but things are easier to download and now we have streaming which I do not prefer, I still love having RAW dramas on my HD. But even major torrents sites are gone or either private now.

I logged into this site with the intention of downloading "I'm Sorry, I love you" as my HD failed on me after 9 years so I came back to this site only to know they took the torrent tracker down. What luck! I'm surprise this place still exists.

Sharif

Post by Sharif » Jul 18th, '18, 20:17

boaayu wrote:Things were fun and downloading was a rare thing back in those days now Korean dramas are bad but things are easier to download and now we have streaming which I do not prefer, I still love having RAW dramas on my HD. But even major torrents sites are gone or either private now.

I logged into this site with the intention of downloading "I'm Sorry, I love you" as my HD failed on me after 9 years so I came back to this site only to know they took the torrent tracker down. What luck! I'm surprise this place still exists.
Not to mention the streaming sites most people are using aren't even of any good quality to extremly compressed videos to horrid audio..

I could invite you to AvistaZ (private tracker) if you would like, I just checked it's available there .
I looked into the show too :P goodness does the plot sound super sad

boaayu

Post by boaayu » Jul 24th, '18, 09:16

Sharif wrote:
boaayu wrote:Things were fun and downloading was a rare thing back in those days now Korean dramas are bad but things are easier to download and now we have streaming which I do not prefer, I still love having RAW dramas on my HD. But even major torrents sites are gone or either private now.

Not to mention the streaming sites most people are using aren't even of any good quality to extremly compressed videos to horrid audio..

I could invite you to AvistaZ (private tracker) if you would like, I just checked it's available there .
Agreed, though HD streaming is not all that bad but having hoarded so many dramas among other media and putting them on CD-R's after all these years I still prefer VHS type quality.

Also--that'll be great! I was a member of AvistaZ when it started up but I stopped visiting the site after a few years and then they went private, so I lost access to it. But by all means, send me an invite at your convenience, I need to rebuild my all my old dramas and see what Korean/Japanese movies are worth watching these days. :P

Here is my e-mail [removed]

MOD
Giving out your email in an open forum is not the best idea. Forums are a magnet when it comes to spam. if anyone wants to contact you, they can send a PM. -- Keiko1981

Surprisingly enough, I own the DVD boxset of "I'm sorry, I love you" (non-english subs) and losing a decent rip copy of it rubs me the wrong way, as that was a good copy of it. Anyhow, I highly recommended you give it a whirl, and who knows, you might like it! The drama still has a lasting affect on me after all these years. Ruler of your own world and Roof Top Tom Cat are other's you may want to investigate.

Vultural

Post by Vultural » Mar 4th, '19, 18:25

Sharif wrote: Jul 18th, '18, 20:17 I could invite you to AvistaZ (private tracker) if you would like, I just checked it's available there .
Regarding AvistaZ (nee Asia Torrents), understand if you receive an invite, they maintain a strict ratio policy.
You must seed back as much as you download.
They discourage and ban hit-n-run users.
It is easy to down 10G of material, watch, then erase.
Cannot tell you how many times I read, "I didn't know! I'm sorry! Please, anyone, help me!"
Hit-n-run --> nyaa. Other sites do get referenced in this forum from time to time, though.
Look around.

mrvx
Malaysia

Re: What was things like when D-Addicts torrent section was around?

Post by mrvx » Jan 28th, '21, 00:40

anything suggestion to re upload torrent section ?

asc

Post by asc » Feb 21st, '21, 14:12

I visited this site many times when I the torrent section was around. It was very much convenient to download dramas then. No hassles of anyone pressuring you to keep seeding ratio and no private trackers and stuff. A fully open torrent downloading feature - what most people would definitely love even today, I bet.

Note sure why exactly drama sharing has gone into share only privately mode these days. Anime from the country is still very openly shared everywhere without fear of strike-down.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 21st, '21, 16:50

asc wrote: Feb 21st, '21, 14:12 Not sure why exactly drama sharing has gone into share only privately mode these days. Anime from the country is still very openly shared everywhere without fear of strike-down.
I can answer that question for you. I have uploaded things for many years at D-Addicts → Nyaa DOT se → Nyaa DOT si. And what I eventually got fed up seeing things being more or less DoA - Dead on Arrival. No one seeding after 1-2 months of posting, other than the original uploader. We do still have to seed request topics.

How many do keep (archive) dramas nowdays? (But it should be easier with how much storage you can get today :P) How many do know how to re-seed a torrent nowadays? Or do they just know how to download one?

I thought of bringing back Drama of the Week/Month, but the new admin wants no links to such sites, so nothing of that. :(

Opposite to what the founder's (real Ruroshin) intentions were from the beginning.

I do really miss (and long for) those days. Have you forgotten, or do you still remember any of these people? Just to mention some...

\( -o _ o- )/ "a.k.a. Mr. Panda", arakira, avieamber, BaekSoo, Ethlenn, ersby, esmer86, Fighting! Fansubs, furransu (Jdramacity), GiriGiri Fansubs, groink, gryzze, Haru2subS, Heiwa Fansubs, huyie, izzyosa, Jiang Hu Fansub, micehell, MoerkJ, Nanashi No Gonbey, Orion1986, Resie (DoReMii Fansubs), Schwefelhexafluorid, saigo_x, semi-fly, sensei991, suany (Ame no Uta), Takez0, The Chaos, thundie, tinkerbell (Unsolved Cases), VampireXxX, waf, WITHS2, xaxa (Rare and Old Doramas), XrayMind, y0ssy

Screenshot taken on 2014-Nov-19, right before the torrent section closed.

kuroyuki
Taiwan

Post by kuroyuki » Feb 21st, '21, 18:18

It´s definitely sad to fully understand what happened in the last 3 years (with no mention to closing the torrent section where I also used to contribute back in the days). I have been in the community since 2006 (I had another user to which I lost access so I had to create this one back in 2008) and also long for those days and all the people who have contributed so much and that are not around the forum anymore.

Life changes for everyone so it´s understandable that things cannot stay the same forever, but I still pray for d-addicts not to fully disappear with all the history it has behind it.

Thanks btw, Keiko, for maintaining it alive as I know it is mostly you who runs the site to certain extent nowadays.