Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

soft subs vs hard subs - which do you prefer

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

soft subs vs hard subs - which do you perfer

Soft subtitles
228
62%
Hard subtitles
142
38%
 
Total votes: 370

User avatar
oshuwel
Posts: 75
Joined: Oct 26th, '06, 17:43
Location: Philippines

Post by oshuwel » Apr 20th, '07, 04:01

I used to prefer hardsubs but now I like softsubs more.. so my vote goes to softsubs

Norlia
Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 13th, '06, 10:02
Location: Malaysia

Post by Norlia » Apr 21st, '07, 10:40

Thank you tisa for you info. I will do that

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6508
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 11:27
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 31 times
Contact:
Sweden

Why do you choose hard-/softsubbed?

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 27th, '08, 13:59

I have a question for everyone.
Why do you choose hardsubbed or softsubbed dramas.

Most of the time I prefer hardsubbed because think it's easier to read compared with softsubs - or you could say, depending on the font, size of font.
I'm not the one that hurry to download RAWs then wait for the softsubs to come out. I like to have the complete serie downloaded and then watch it, not watching several series at the same time.

At the same time I do completely understand why some fansub groups decide to release softsubs over hardsubs, when it comes to not wanting the serie being put on various streaming video host sites.

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Re: Why do you choose hard-/softsubbed?

Post by Puppet Princess » Feb 27th, '08, 17:30

Keiko1981 wrote:I have a question for everyone.
At the same time I do completely understand why some fansub groups decide to release softsubs over hardsubs, when it comes to not wanting the serie being put on various streaming video host sites.
That totally does not stop people. They will instead do their own poor and ugly encodes.

User avatar
ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 727
Joined: Mar 22nd, '04, 13:51
Location: Germany

Post by ironicwave » Feb 27th, '08, 17:58

it's not really that i prefer one over the other, my first priority with subtitles is the mere existence... :lol
if there are both for one series, then for me it depends on who's making them and whether i really want to burn it to disc, in this case i'll check the quality of both and opt for the more reliable...
i'm not putting softsubs down at all, i just don't expect them to be as meticulously worked on, while i do expect groups who hardsub to put in a lot more effort...
but then quality doesn't always have to do with the medium, i've seen excellent softsubs and shoddy hardsubs in that respect...
so overall, no real preference other than quality, unless it's a mediocre series i don't plan on archiving anyway...

3rings
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 10:19

Post by 3rings » Feb 27th, '08, 18:19

That's true. If it's a so-so series, then it doesnt matter if it's hard or soft-subbed since there's no plan to keep it.
But in truth, I prefer soft-subs because then I can share the series to my friends who speak different languages.
It's only a matter of finding the correct sub and language.
I once downloaded a movie with no English sub at all but I found only one in a spanish language forum.
When I played the movie (which I dearly love to see!), the subs were laughable because it was simply ran over a web translator I guess from Spanish to English! So the grammar and syntax were funny & untranslateable words were kept as is!
Believe it or not, I managed to finish the movie and I understood it even! (How desperate I was, no?)
hehehe

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Feb 27th, '08, 18:22

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_21010_0.htm

Please merge this topic with the previous one since the previous topic already has collected data. Hate to waste it.

User avatar
Lifo
Posts: 244
Joined: Oct 28th, '06, 11:47
Location: Neo Universe

Post by Lifo » Feb 27th, '08, 18:59

Hard, Looks neater.

User avatar
Shining_Moon
Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 25th, '08, 18:42
Location: Brazil

Post by Shining_Moon » Feb 27th, '08, 19:09

I will go with hard subs, I think it's better, especially for me who can't understand any asians' language.

User avatar
lenrasoon
Posts: 507
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 23:53
Contact:

Post by lenrasoon » Feb 27th, '08, 20:13

Personally i prefer softsubs because sometimes the hardsubs fonts sized are too small and the font color does't help either...but i can understand why fansubbers like this method.

User avatar
xolime
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 1st, '08, 03:37

Post by xolime » Mar 1st, '08, 11:51

I like hardsubs better, but probably because that's what I'm used to. They're simpler for me to watch and burn. Also, there is no language that I watch dramas in which I understand so well that I can foresee never needing subs at all so having permanent subs doesn't bother me. As for grammar mistakes...it's just part of fan-made works. As long as they aren't bad enough to make the subs incomprehensible, I can live with it. Now, paying for a professionally made product with grammar and spelling mistakes annoys me no end, but that's a different subject.

User avatar
leenzy
Posts: 81
Joined: Feb 2nd, '08, 16:00
Location: Malaysia

Post by leenzy » Mar 1st, '08, 12:26

i prefer soft sub :wub: :wub: :wub: bcoz, the video looks very good with soft sub than hard sub videos...anyway thank all 2 subbing squad..Chayok!!! :cheers: :salut: :salut: :salut: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

User avatar
Star-Bolt
Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 10th, '08, 18:36
Location: Argentina

Post by Star-Bolt » Mar 2nd, '08, 00:47

I prefer hard subs because I can see the personality of the fansub. Each fansub has its style. With soft subs all are the same and its only about translation. All the fansubs will be reduced only to translators. No art. Well, thats my opinion ^^u

Kiryu1985
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 10th, '07, 02:54

Post by Kiryu1985 » Mar 3rd, '08, 02:49

I enjoy both,but sometimes you download a RAW drama, and then months later a group releases a Hardsubbed version and you have to download it all over again. But I really don't mind this, people do us a free service, and I respect their work.

Softsubs also suck when playing them on the PS3 ( for High Def files) since the PS3 can't read softsubs :(

User avatar
MitsukaiKuroi
Posts: 382
Joined: Jan 16th, '07, 18:03
Location: Where Six Side Is Heaven And Nine Side Is Go...

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Mar 3rd, '08, 03:13

I like both! :D

Sometimes I like soft subs because I can change the size of the font in the VLC player so it is easier for my mother to see them. I like hard subs so I can burn it as a DVD and share it with my boyfriend while we curl up on the couch and snack.

No matter what I am just grateful for anyone that takes the time to sub in any form! LOL :mrgreen:

SunStar
Posts: 225
Joined: Feb 21st, '05, 18:41
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.A.

Post by SunStar » Mar 7th, '08, 07:17

i prefer hard subs cuz you don't need to worry about having the proper programs to watch it... BUT...

soft subs quality is MUCH BETTER...

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Mar 7th, '08, 07:30

SunStar wrote:soft subs quality is MUCH BETTER...
Interesting you mention the "quality" of soft subs. Maybe you mean the quality is better regarding timing or grammar. But if you mean just the looks of soft subs, I have to disagree. My problem with soft subs is that they don't render that nicely. When I watch hard subs, the anti-aliasing is much cleaner, while in soft subs the fonts look rough around the edges.

--- groink

alcozar
Posts: 140
Joined: May 26th, '04, 16:52

Post by alcozar » Mar 16th, '08, 09:39

Depends on who's doing them, but generally softsubs since you can resize them, they tend to be released earlier than hardsubs, and can be improved at a later date.

User avatar
leenzy
Posts: 81
Joined: Feb 2nd, '08, 16:00
Location: Malaysia

Post by leenzy » Mar 16th, '08, 13:27

actually, both are good for me as long as i can watched the dramas..ehehe... :wub: :wub: :whistling: :whistling:

hey9
Posts: 412
Joined: Jan 18th, '07, 22:30

Post by hey9 » Mar 16th, '08, 16:52

I prefer softsubs, mainly because:

1) You can choose 1280x720, 704x396, etc. video to download
2) It's not hard to play softsubs, you don't even have to rename the files (use GOM player)
3) I don't need the karaoke
4) I prefer plain black-and-white fonts with nothing fancy because...I'm boring lol. Also because I have horrible vision and plain fonts are the easiest to see :P

I can see why subbers would prefer hardsubs, though.

User avatar
kittykhatz20
Posts: 92
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 07:50
Location: Manila

Post by kittykhatz20 » Mar 28th, '08, 14:46

like hardsub because i can play it anywhere... i guess softsub is okay too because you can turn it on or off but never got accustomed to it since I don't just watch dramas on my PC...

User avatar
marspeach
Posts: 149
Joined: Nov 18th, '07, 03:26

Post by marspeach » Mar 28th, '08, 15:15

I don't mind either hard or soft. Usually I find that hardsubs have fewer errors but when they do I can't really do anything. At least in soft subs I can edit them.

neuhikari
Posts: 25
Joined: Oct 25th, '07, 08:21

Post by neuhikari » May 4th, '08, 09:58

I like hardsubs better cause I don't have much problem with them usually the softsubs are hard to find and when I find them somtimes it won't show any subtitles when the drama is starting and I know that they need to be have the same name but after Irename the video it won't work (not always but sometimes it's happens) so with the hardsubs there is no such problem :lol

User avatar
N-chan
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '08, 10:31
Location: Singapore

Post by N-chan » May 4th, '08, 14:22

I prefer hardsubs but being impatient, i usually get the RAW of some drama episodes first before waiting for someone to do the softsubs eg Around 40 :)

Asperitas
Posts: 35
Joined: Feb 5th, '07, 18:08
Contact:

Post by Asperitas » May 4th, '08, 17:20

I like softsubs better, mainly because when there is an spelling error I can alter it myself. Also I can decide myself what quality of the vid I want to download.

However hardsubs are great too, most of the time the filesize is smaller than the raws so...

nankasento
Posts: 127
Joined: Mar 5th, '08, 22:48

Post by nankasento » May 4th, '08, 22:00

Both, I prefer anything I view subbed, it doesn't matter if it's soft or hard.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » May 4th, '08, 22:22

nankasento wrote:Both, I prefer anything I view subbed, it doesn't matter if it's soft or hard.
Exactly!!!!

User avatar
leo008
Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 8th, '05, 22:31
Location: UK

Post by leo008 » May 5th, '08, 02:20

I personally prefer soft subs as you can have the option to not show them if you don't need them, and can chose which language subs to use (if any). With soft subs you can also use different sub files if one is timed wrong or is inaccurate with translation. Although hard subs can look better they don't leave much choice unless you download the same file subbed by another group. Thats how i see it anyway.

User avatar
carmenie21
Posts: 4
Joined: Apr 21st, '08, 19:23
Location: Philippines

Post by carmenie21 » May 5th, '08, 14:07

wow... Now I finally understand between them. I just started downloading dramas and I haven't watched any drama using softsubs so i'll go for hardsubs. Although it really depends if you're confident to that fansubbing group which has the credibility and the quality of doing the subs. Both have advantages and their downsides but hardsubs is more convenient. Less errors (well that depends on the ability of the fansub group), it's easy to burn, has factual information inserted, plus karaoke!!! I hope every fansub group should read this thread so they will improve their fansubbing skills such as making their fonts more decent to look at and readable... hehe!

User avatar
hectique
Posts: 9
Joined: Aug 30th, '07, 20:49
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Post by hectique » May 5th, '08, 14:30

I prefer softsubs. That's mainly because I prefer the 1280x720 versions of the dramas. But also I'm studying Japanese and it's a good opportunity to switch over to Japanese subtitles or even no subtitles at all.

User avatar
gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1181
Joined: Dec 28th, '04, 18:56
Location: PL

Post by gunjourui » May 5th, '08, 19:25

results are really surprising! I thought softs would be winning hands down but the difference is really small :lol
to be honest I don't mind typos or look of subs as long as I can get what they mean and the font is visible so I don't spend time editing softs or anything XD I prefer softsubs only because there's a possibility to turn them off completely or change into Japanese subs and obviously it's not possible with hardsubs..
however I like hardsubs better when drama is difficult.. like there's a lot of technical or cultural stuff that need to be explained coz hardsubbers have more options of placing the text without covering full screen ^_^

User avatar
EniramNocer
Posts: 17
Joined: May 7th, '08, 02:25
Location: Beaufort, SC USA
Contact:

Post by EniramNocer » May 7th, '08, 03:43

Always downloaded hardsub videos. Never really cared about the soft since most of the subgroups I go to don't do it.

User avatar
muggle87
Posts: 14
Joined: Aug 22nd, '07, 01:58
Location: USA

Post by muggle87 » May 19th, '08, 01:55

I like both but I must admit that I would find softsub cause they are out faster than hardsub but with hardsub it is easy without the hassle of trying to download, codec, classic player, vobsub.
Pro:
Softsub: faster with episodes
Hardsub: no hassle just download and play

Con:
Softsub: if u do it wrong, u will be really annoyed
hardsub: it takes a while for episode to come out

Both takes time and effort to do, and we should be thankful that fansubbers are doing this for free.

User avatar
Rori
Posts: 831
Joined: Jan 6th, '07, 03:43

Post by Rori » May 19th, '08, 02:05

Softsubs. I'm not much of a torrent fan and since that's your main source when you want your asian drama it's such a pain in the a** to have to download the same episode twice.

Plus I like to make gifs from dramas and it's better when I don't have subtitles along the bottom.

I do like Harsubs on the other hand, like muggle87 mentioned, there's no hassle with them. Plus the subs are a lot better styled, where as with softsubs you could have them taking up half the screen.

User avatar
maakopla
Posts: 299
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 14:15
Location: Finland

Post by maakopla » May 19th, '08, 13:30

softsubs all the way! Why? When you learn to use them it's easy and fast. Though it may be annoying to dl video and srt files from different places. I like softsubs because you can adjust speed and size as you want. When it's hardsubbed you can't change anything. Many hardsubbed files have colorful and too small subtitles. As for colorful it just doesn't feel right, I haven't gotten used to it. As for too small font size.. it's annoying.

User avatar
pow155
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 30th, '04, 17:05

Post by pow155 » May 22nd, '08, 19:22

I actually prefer hardsub because hard sub is easier to burn to disk so I can watch it on my divx player. with softsub, I have to make the hardsub then I can burn to disk...

isshoukenmei
Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 8th, '08, 06:23
Location: ru

Post by isshoukenmei » May 23rd, '08, 08:09

there is no 720p hardsub dorama series i know. only downsized releases. it's the only reason for softsub.

User avatar
kakarota
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 2nd, '08, 08:01

Post by kakarota » Jun 28th, '08, 09:30

I vote for softsubs because I'd like to be able to get rid of them if i want to see the movie in 'raw' or simply in another language.. :D

ackirom
Posts: 149
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 02:39
Location: 90745

Post by ackirom » Jun 29th, '08, 15:06

I vote and prefer softsubs cuz I like having the choice of turning them off. For instance, sometimes I like to re-watch shows and sometimes when I've memorized the lines or its meanings, it's nice to be able to turn off the subs and pay more attention to the video. I also don't care to have the lyrics/translations of songs in OP/ED/in the background so I'm glad I can get rid of that. And some hardsubs aren't the right size or are too colorful it gets distracting.

User avatar
kadetdawidow
Posts: 7
Joined: Jul 11th, '08, 22:27
Location: US
Contact:

Post by kadetdawidow » Jul 12th, '08, 15:43

I've only really gone for hardsubs. I've never figured out how to make softsubs work. :crazy:

User avatar
lushx
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 21st, '08, 16:58
Location: California, United States

Post by lushx » Jul 14th, '08, 00:11

Hardsubs.
Sooo not computer-smart enough to know how to work softsubs and turning them into hardsubs for burning or something.
-___-

User avatar
Zealousy
Posts: 362
Joined: Apr 9th, '08, 01:52
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Zealousy » Jul 14th, '08, 00:21

I honestly prefer softsubs. Hardsubs are okay but sometimes the codecs they use piss me off. :\
I use VLC to watch softsubs and MPC to watch hardsubs.

AsianPlayer
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 3rd, '08, 19:27
Location: Florida

Post by AsianPlayer » Jul 17th, '08, 01:58

Gotta go with Soft subtitles.

XrayZ
Posts: 92
Joined: Jun 6th, '08, 10:05
Location: Inglan

Post by XrayZ » Jul 17th, '08, 02:27

i'm surprised so many people like softsubs

for drama and anime i prefer hardsubs for convenience and neatness (one file not two = neatness, perhaps i'm odd)

i admit for asian (or any non-english) movies i usually prefer softs since in so many cases the hardsub on a movie torrent is nasty vhs-lookin' sheeit

the advantage of softsubs too is the look - a lot of subbers (more anime than drama) use more colour and more intricate fonts than i really like, tho minor stuff like type of sub or font won't stop me watching something

laifalove
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 11th, '07, 00:18

Post by laifalove » Jul 17th, '08, 02:33

Hardsubs for me, just because they're more likely to be uploaded to some place where I can stream it rather than torrent. It's not possible for me to torrent such massive files at school (despite the daily limit of 3GB...), otherwise I'd go with softsubs.

At home I download softsubs though.

ImL0st
Posts: 213
Joined: Oct 25th, '07, 12:11

Post by ImL0st » Jul 17th, '08, 02:56

Well I prefer soft subs because I have control over font size and video quality if I need to put them together, which I normally do. I re-code them to put on my portable devices like iphone and psp. Lots of hard-subbed video have font size very small, and when I reduce the video to a 4.3" screen, the text got reduced to a very unreadable size.

User avatar
shadow-of-sin
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 22nd, '07, 04:57
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by shadow-of-sin » Nov 2nd, '08, 10:22

I prefer softsubs, except for maybe any karaoke that should be hardsubbed onto the video.

Just wondering, how come hardly anyone (well no one I've noticed so far) in the drama fansub community uses a modern container like MKV and modern video codec (H264) for their releases? IMO they are vastly superior e.g the use of H264 decreases the file size while retaining the same quality.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 2nd, '08, 10:37

shadow-of-sin wrote:I prefer softsubs, except for maybe any karaoke that should be hardsubbed onto the video.

Just wondering, how come hardly anyone (well no one I've noticed so far) in the drama fansub community uses a modern container like MKV and modern video codec (H264) for their releases? IMO they are vastly superior e.g the use of H264 decreases the file size while retaining the same quality.
I read in another topic you posted in that you're an anime fansubber.

The live drama community is far far different from the anime community. To address this particular issue, anime fans tend to have the latest equipment. The anime fan tends to be a lot younger, more energetic, and have enough money to afford something like a Duo Core processor based PC. The live drama community, on the other hand, are ordinary folks: families, grandparents, students with low income... They tend to be technology challenged. The demographics of the drama community must be able to cover a wide range of users. Therefore, we choose to use technology that is the least restrictive on people. In other words, we assume that at least some people are still running Pentium III processors, Windows 98 or Me, etc. If we did what the anime community does - this sort of "either upgrade so that you can play what we give you, or buy new hardware so that you can play what we give you," we would alienate quite a few people. H264 takes quite a lot of CPU. And in the few attempts I've seen on D-Addicts at pushing people towards H264, it just does not work. If the quality difference between XviD/DivX and H264 was just as bad as MPEG-1 and XviD/DivX, then I can see making the jump. But Xvid/DivX is much better than it is bad, if that makes any sense. With the current state of the economy world-wide, I'm afraid that we'll be stuck with using DivX/XviD for at least another two years.

--- groink

User avatar
shadow-of-sin
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 22nd, '07, 04:57
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by shadow-of-sin » Nov 2nd, '08, 20:33

Ok, so I get your point about using H264, but why not use the MKV container format while using the same video/audio codecs?.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:04

shadow-of-sin wrote:Ok, so I get your point about using H264, but why not use the MKV container format while using the same video/audio codecs?.
Because all the RAWs we receive from Japan and South Korea are in AVI containers. For hardsubbers, the rippers use the same tools (VirtualDub, for example) to handle the RAWs, so we end up using the same AVI container. Keeping things consistent is just easier for us.

Once again, anime fansubbers and its fans, and live drama fansubbers and its fans live in completely different worlds. If you think the anime world is superior in terms of technology and know-how, I'd suggest you keep that opinion to yourself and just accept what we offer here without question. It isn't like we're living under a rock while waiting for the rest of the world to pass by.

--- groink

User avatar
azntina
Posts: 170
Joined: Jul 20th, '05, 12:19
Location: USA

Post by azntina » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:17

I prefer soft subs because I can change the font and size and capture the video without the words in it. Hard subs, it's like you're stuck with it whether you like it or not.

User avatar
shadow-of-sin
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 22nd, '07, 04:57
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by shadow-of-sin » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:19

If you think the anime world is superior in terms of technology and know-how, I'd suggest you keep that opinion to yourself and just accept what we offer here without question.
That wasn't what I was implying, I just wanted to know why people didn't use MKV/H264, thanks for explaining :D

User avatar
Ryuuta
Posts: 99
Joined: Sep 28th, '08, 19:23
Location: Germany

Post by Ryuuta » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:25

I prefer softsubs because I don't like the many colours/+text on the screen (like translation notes, karaoke etc)
I want to enjoy the Dorama like without subs and that is only possible with RAW+ .srt softsubs
and I'm watching all Dorama on my TV (it works like a second PC screen) to enjoy them in full/better quality

and what I really hate are releases in HD (only) with a resolution over 1024x768 because my PC can't handle videos with a higher resolution (but my screen resolution is 1280x1024)
=> video is slower than audio

because of that I'm afraid that future releases will be HD only and need to convert it (when possible) first before I can watch
and I don't have the money to buy me a new PC
and I have the PC around 1 year only and it is actual a good one

Cry5tal
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 29th, '08, 12:43
Location: France

Post by Cry5tal » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:33

Softsub cause I prefer watching without subtitles after I watch with once. It's good to watch with to understand the main plot and stuff but after when I rewatch a show I prefer without subs. Especially since I'm learning the language better that way. I can focus on the show, not the text.

raen86
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 29th, '08, 04:30

Post by raen86 » Nov 2nd, '08, 21:59

what's the difference between soft and hard subs? i'm abit confused :X

User avatar
xkia56
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 22nd, '08, 09:09
Location: UK

Post by xkia56 » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:07

Hardsubs are subtitles that are encoded onto the actual raw video file. Softsubs are subtitles that are saved in a file separate from the video file, and you need to use a player like VLC to play the video file with the subtitles.

Personally, I prefer hardsubs - because I don't have the programs I need to set the font attributes, or the program I need to encode the video with hardsubs. Also, since I burn all my files onto DVDs, having the hardsubs already there works better for me. I can see why most people prefer softsubs though.

User avatar
AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 634
Joined: Apr 20th, '06, 00:50
Contact:

Post by AkumaX » Nov 3rd, '08, 20:40

when ps3 supports mkv, i'll fully support mkv :D
otherwise mp4 for the widest compatibility among most media players/devices/software

Sesam
Posts: 94
Joined: Nov 25th, '08, 11:58
Location: EU Land

Post by Sesam » Dec 2nd, '08, 16:33

Well I voted hardsubs, but I'm torn on this issue.

Softsubs are good in theory, but unfortunately requires you to use a PC for playing the videos. There are too many subtitle formats, and no standalone hardware support for them.

PS3, 360, AppleTV, Tvix, PopCorn Hour and similar media capable hardware are growing in numbers, but none of them are capable of properly handling soft subtitles. At best they might handle the most basic SRT subtitles, without any special tags or formatting (for example the PCH can not even wordwrap). ASS is going to be next to impossible to support properly on an current generation NMT, because of the resources required to display effects and formatting..

.. so my conclusion is that while I think the general idea with softsubs is good, it only works if you use a PC. Hardware based players are bound to never handle advanced subs properly, so I think there will always be a need for hardsubs.

User avatar
kuro570
Posts: 510
Joined: Feb 4th, '08, 23:50
Location: United States

Post by kuro570 » Dec 2nd, '08, 16:58

I think both are great, but hardsubs you get multiple colors which helps distinguishing who's talking and such. Plus I noticed that hardsubs tend to be timed perfectly and always fit the screen just right. Soft subs are great too especially since I find some errors in translation or typos I can easily fix them myself. With all that said I think hardsubs are the best especially since I can just make a dvd of whatever video I'm watching without having to go through of all the trouble of encoding and worrying about loss of quality.

User avatar
shadow-of-sin
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 22nd, '07, 04:57
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by shadow-of-sin » Dec 2nd, '08, 21:53

kuro570 wrote:I think both are great, but hardsubs you get multiple colors which helps distinguishing who's talking and such.
You can get multiple colors using softsubs too (using ASS)
Plus I noticed that hardsubs tend to be timed perfectly and always fit the screen just right.
Whether its timed perfectly or not as nothing to do with whether its hardsubbed or softsubbed - a softsubbed video has the same timing as its hardsubbed counterpart. Also, if you use softsubs you can adjust the size of the subs to whatever you want instead of being restricted to what the encoder has chosen.
With all that said I think hardsubs are the best especially since I can just make a dvd of whatever video I'm watching without having to go through of all the trouble of encoding and worrying about loss of quality.
I'm guessing you're talking about burning DivX AVIs onto a DVD and playing them on a DivX compatible player? If not, then you'd have to encode anyway (to the standard DVD MPEG2 format).
PS3, 360, AppleTV, Tvix, PopCorn Hour and similar media capable hardware are growing in numbers, but none of them are capable of properly handling soft subtitles.
I can play softsubs just fine on my PS3 - running Linux :D

User avatar
AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 634
Joined: Apr 20th, '06, 00:50
Contact:

Post by AkumaX » Dec 2nd, '08, 22:01

shadow-of-sin wrote:
PS3, 360, AppleTV, Tvix, PopCorn Hour and similar media capable hardware are growing in numbers, but none of them are capable of properly handling soft subtitles.
I can play softsubs just fine on my PS3 - running Linux :D
hahaha.. YDL i presume? ;) i'm all for softsubs.. if theyre not being misappropriated :cussing:

User avatar
shadow-of-sin
Posts: 36
Joined: Oct 22nd, '07, 04:57
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by shadow-of-sin » Dec 2nd, '08, 22:24

AkumaX wrote:
shadow-of-sin wrote:
PS3, 360, AppleTV, Tvix, PopCorn Hour and similar media capable hardware are growing in numbers, but none of them are capable of properly handling soft subtitles.
I can play softsubs just fine on my PS3 - running Linux :D
hahaha.. YDL i presume? ;)
Nope Ubuntu, didn't want to waste my bandwith on a whole DVD for YDL.

User avatar
sallia
Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 23rd, '08, 10:00
Location: Malaysia

Post by sallia » Dec 2nd, '08, 22:59

i prefer hardsubbed. firstly, why i prefer hardsubbed coz i don't understand the language they spoke. secondly, i doesn't know how to insert the softsubbed into the movie/drama. therefore, i love to see the colour of the subtitle... hehehe :P

ackirom
Posts: 149
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 02:39
Location: 90745

Post by ackirom » Dec 10th, '08, 20:00

shadow-of-sin wrote:I prefer softsubs, except for maybe any karaoke that should be hardsubbed onto the video.

Just wondering, how come hardly anyone (well no one I've noticed so far) in the drama fansub community uses a modern container like MKV and modern video codec (H264) for their releases? IMO they are vastly superior e.g the use of H264 decreases the file size while retaining the same quality.
You mean old dramas? As far as I've noticed, the newer dramas are in mkv and h264. Well, at least all the newer ones I've gotten are encoded in that at least. And I started getting those last spring.

User avatar
eye
Posts: 93
Joined: May 2nd, '06, 20:20

Post by eye » Dec 10th, '08, 22:27

groink wrote:H264 takes quite a lot of CPU.
For some reason people tend to confuse H.264 with HD ("high definition"). Of course both are completely unrelated. Even YouTube has started using H.264. The decoder has been in Shockwave Flash for more than a year. Playback of standard resolution H.264 video results in 5% load on a 2.6GHz CPU (single core). Xvid takes 2%. Big deal.
If the quality difference between XviD/DivX and H264 was just as bad as MPEG-1 and XviD/DivX, then I can see making the jump.
H.264 makes Xvid/DivX look like MPEG-1 indeed. It's just a matter of bitrate. Here's an example:
This is H.264 at 622kbps:
Image

And here's Xvid at 622 kbps:
Image
See the difference?

Anime fansubbers have looked at the numbers and realized that computer speed is no longer the bottleneck. The new bottleneck is network bandwidth, especially upload speed. In a BT context, small files will generate a larger number of complete copies (i.e. more seeders) within a given time period. If you release files that are literally hundreds of megabytes larger than necessary, you should not be surprised to see more and more people using streaming sites.
With the current state of the economy world-wide, I'm afraid that we'll be stuck with using DivX/XviD for at least another two years.
That doesn't make sense unless your goal is to kill off what is left of that economy.

DivX is switching to H.264 and MKV as we speak. You can download the new player here: http://labs.divx.com/node/7405

User avatar
-YiJern-
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 13th, '08, 15:40
Location: In front of my Computer
Contact:

Post by -YiJern- » Dec 21st, '08, 17:33

soft subs!

actually i'm fine with hard subs too...

but with soft subs, I can download RAWs from a site(which requires seeding back for ratio) and find the subs somewhere else if it doesn't have subs..

but...either one will do for me though..as long as it is in english...or malay..

User avatar
xXMzSmilesXx
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 8th, '10, 05:23
Location: NSW, Australia

Post by xXMzSmilesXx » Jan 11th, '10, 09:02

Hard subs all the way much betta than soft subs!!

User avatar
Atyan
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 23rd, '09, 10:19
Location: UA

Post by Atyan » Jan 18th, '10, 18:10

Soft subs only . Hate hard subs :)

User avatar
nicha89
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 5th, '07, 21:26
Location: Thailand, Finland, USA

Post by nicha89 » Jan 18th, '10, 18:27

i also prefer softsubs. sometimes i like to take screencaps so i don't want subs on them.

also, some hardsubbers put all kind of annoying stuff/texts on the screen which can be really annoying. they put up a whole paragraph during the sponsor intro at the beginning, and even the middle, and at some random time of the drama, and i can't see the picture because the text is in the way. and sometimes their fansub team's logo at the corner is even bigger than the broadcaster's logo that came with the rip. i know they want to stay safe in terms of not getting their works on streaming sites. but when they take this overboard it's just annoying in the way that they seem to be too full of themselves and think they actually own the drama. not all fansubbers are like this but i resolve by taking softsubs only, unless they are not available.

lilostitch
Posts: 9
Joined: Mar 8th, '04, 18:36

Post by lilostitch » Jan 18th, '10, 18:34

definitely the softsubs
it gives me more flexibility and a cleaner picture

el_canuck
Posts: 207
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Jan 18th, '10, 19:02

Hardsub vs softsub, sometimes video quality is better with softsub, but I think it comes down to saving hard drive space by saving the drama to DVD. When I tell people I am addicted to Asian Drama, they think I am nuts. I have told people how to download all the various codeces and software needed to watch a drama and they are scared away all to watch on their computer. On the other hand I give them the complete DVD of Pride or Nodame Cantabile which they can now watch on their TV /DVD and we have another person addicted to Asian Drama. Not everyone knows how or has their computer hooked up to their flat screen TV (HDMI), also all soft subs should be in the .srt format, just to be uniform.

remcon
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 3rd, '09, 06:41

Post by remcon » Jan 18th, '10, 19:10

i definitely prefer soft subs.

User avatar
SweR
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 27th, '09, 20:21
Location: Saudi Arabia , Riyadh

Post by SweR » Jan 18th, '10, 19:26

For me it would be softsub ^^

User avatar
aelfwyne
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 24th, '10, 17:16
Location: Texas

Post by aelfwyne » Feb 1st, '10, 20:26

Softsubs for me, because with TheKMPlayer I can control the font size/appearance and position on the screen. Also, if I get a file with chinese softsubs, I can look up words I don't know using cut/paste of the hanzi. With hardsubs I end up having a much more difficult time looking up words I don't know. Also, softsubs make the translation into additional languages easier.

User avatar
recca_cool
Posts: 743
Joined: Jan 11th, '08, 14:36

Post by recca_cool » Feb 7th, '10, 15:12

Soft subs all the way :) Now that we are getting 1080p RAWs, it is more of a reason to release soft subs to allow fans to choose the medium of their choice.. besides, this cuts down the release time too :)
You can have multiple versions of the soft subs, that is not the case with a hardsubbed file, unless you release a v2 but again you are limited...

So many adv. towards having soft subs.. no need to mention them :P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests