Dance Dance Revolution Addicts

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What level are you at in DDR?(on the mat)(be honest)

Poll ended at Jan 1st, '06, 19:05

Beginner
21%
Light
21%
Standard
29%
Heavy(Expert)
21%
Challenge
7%

Total votes: 14

usagineko-chan

Dance Dance Revolution Addicts

Post by usagineko-chan » Dec 22nd, '05, 19:05

I really love this game but now that I own it I'm bored because noone in my family is a challenge :-( I can play standard pretty well and some heavy. Feel free to tell me about your DDR experiences (tournaments, etc.)
Here's a blog a guy wrote with videos of the tournaments he experienced (a huge one took place in New York City!!)
http://journals.rpungin.fotki.com/ddr/category/videos/

Also If anyone has videos of DDR competitions from Japan send me a link PLEASE! Arigato!! :-)
Attachments
AWW she's tired from playing crazily!
AWW she's tired from playing crazily!
ddr.jpg (66.77 KiB) Viewed 6668 times

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Dec 23rd, '05, 02:02

That's great that you made a DDR thread, I was beginning to think I was the only one you played. I think I made a Bemani thread but on one really respponded. DDR is awesome. I usually play Heavy/Oni so I don't completely suck. I don't have any AAA's though. Just a few AA's. I've never been to a tournament before as I am not that good. Where I live, there's such good people.

http://aij.ddruk.com Here's a good DDR page, good Japanese players. Check out the forums too.

Do you play Beatmania IIDX? I've been playing that alot these days.. alot of other music gamese as well.

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Dec 23rd, '05, 04:32

i used to be such an addict but i stopped it after my sophomore year in college. now i'm back to light. i remember the good old days like ddr 3rd mix. hahaha...ba kkwo...now it's like ddr something else. anyone played the other game? it's like ddr except the arrows are diagonal. it's weird cos if you're used to ddr, you wanna go left,right,up, down not diagonally.

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Dec 23rd, '05, 04:54

Some songs i can play heavy. On controller definitely heavy, its so easy xD

Rupugus

Post by Rupugus » Dec 23rd, '05, 05:06

Heavy!

Challenge is not always harder than by the way. Challenge is just an alternate stepping rythm to heavy or standard, sometimes harder, but often easier than heavy.

I'm still okay at Heavy but I used to be insane at the game, back at my old university i was founder and president of the DDR club, we held tournaments and such every once in a while.
Last edited by Rupugus on Dec 23rd, '05, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Dec 23rd, '05, 05:11

I have one of these suckers at home, but I'm absolutely terrible at it. Erm, anybody have any insights/recommendation or sites to becoming better at DDR?

cmge

Post by cmge » Dec 23rd, '05, 05:46

i can do a some songs on heavy... i still play with my modified dance mats at home every now and again... i never play the amercian incarnations of DDR... all my copies have been imports since the song selection on the JAP version is better.... plus the licensed songs on the US version is horrendous... -_- ... but lately ive been playing Pump It Up: Exceed... WOW... is alot fo fun....

FaustVIII

Post by FaustVIII » Dec 23rd, '05, 05:48

I used to play it 3 years ago but never became good at it :-( . But now I play Drummania since last year :thumright:

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Dec 23rd, '05, 06:42

Rupugus wrote:Heavy!

Challenge is not always harder than by the way. Challenge is just an alternate stepping rythm to heavy or standard, sometimes harder, but often easier than heavy.

I'm still okay at Heavy but I used to be insane at the game, back at my old university i was founder and president of the DDR club, we held tournaments and such every once in a while.
I wish my university had a DDR club. That would be been rocking! Maybe I should have started one...

archs13

Post by archs13 » Dec 23rd, '05, 06:50

ha ha i used to play that like 2 years ago he he... but now i play max tune 2 and initial d in arcades so... yeah

Rupugus

Post by Rupugus » Dec 23rd, '05, 06:53

slippyepic wrote:I have one of these suckers at home, but I'm absolutely terrible at it. Erm, anybody have any insights/recommendation or sites to becoming better at DDR?
there's only one way to get better. practice. alot. really. slowly move up songs and you'll get it. when I started I had absolutely no rythm, i oculdn't hit a single arrow in any song. but my friends played so much I was forced to play on a daily basis until I got good. at my peak i would pwn all of them! 8)
ToriQ wrote: I wish my university had a DDR club. That would be been rocking! Maybe I should have started one...
It really is a good Idea to start it, if you can get it past your local student activities board, you can even get school funign to pay for games/pads as long as you use them for club activities.

That's right, you CAN get your school to pay for your videogames ! :D

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Dec 23rd, '05, 08:57

Rupugus wrote:
slippyepic wrote:That's right, you CAN get your school to pay for your videogames ! :D
It's a bummer that I graduated earlier this year :-(

usagineko-chan

Post by usagineko-chan » Dec 25th, '05, 00:36

yes The diagonal arrowed one is called Pump it up and it is totally crazy!!!!!!!! It started as a PC game but now it has been introduced to the PS2!!! YEAY!!! :D Oh and I think I should start a DDR club which also includes freestyle and learning to play backwards. :P

cmge

Post by cmge » Dec 25th, '05, 04:29

usagineko-chan wrote:yes The diagonal arrowed one is called Pump it up and it is totally crazy!!!!!!!! It started as a PC game but now it has been introduced to the PS2!!! YEAY!!! :D Oh and I think I should start a DDR club which also includes freestyle and learning to play backwards. :P
actually it started as an arcade game... :P ... then the home version which was via pc... i never understood y they did that tho... -_- ... perhaps it was due to the lawsuit konami had against andamiro.. oh man i still remmeber those days when ddr was at its pinnacle.. :)

and now the PS2... its about time tho... since i didnt like playing it on my pc and my room is soo cramped already... -_-

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Dec 26th, '05, 02:37

speaking of ddr.
i just ordered a EMS adapter 2 weeks ago. it's suppose to arrive soon. I had two decent pads for ages since I bought it and i played on my friend's ps2 for a few days. Had to return him, so it's been sitting there ever since. So i hope i'll get it next week and be able to play it before x-mas is over :D

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Dec 26th, '05, 10:08

What kind of pads are they? Some metal pads are nice.. You should take a look at some of them although they're pretty expensive.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Dec 26th, '05, 18:09

I have two balux or something with that name. it's oen of those softpads with thick padding inside. pretty comfortable comparing to those basic soft pads.

para~white

Post by para~white » Jan 17th, '06, 15:59

I have played DDR for hey i think this would be my 7th year now.. Yeah.
I guess i have given up all interest in it.. i mean it is fun and cheap - and you do work out. But i think 7 years is enough for me.

The best i managed to do was at the arcade where i got a low AA on Max300 - Heavy @ 2x.

My biggest problem with DDR is i play it once - and then i spend the next 1 hour walking around looking like i have just taken all these drugs because i am wet and have red eyes ... the love of being a Arcade Lover.. (I play Guitar Freaks, Drum Mania at my arcade now) .. oh and laugh at people who play paraparaparadise.. my sister knows the dance to every song on 2nd mix >< ALFJKHAS:DIFJH:ASDF

LadieDrmz

Post by LadieDrmz » Jan 22nd, '06, 09:22

I love DDR! BUt nowadays.., I don't get much chance to play. I think I should invest in some game pads for the PS2 so I could get a workout at home when I have some time. ^_^

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Jan 23rd, '06, 06:35

Yeah, investing would be a good idea...You don't have to leave your house to workout..

para~white wrote:I have played DDR for hey i think this would be my 7th year now.. Yeah.
I guess i have given up all interest in it.. i mean it is fun and cheap - and you do work out. But i think 7 years is enough for me.

The best i managed to do was at the arcade where i got a low AA on Max300 - Heavy @ 2x.

My biggest problem with DDR is i play it once - and then i spend the next 1 hour walking around looking like i have just taken all these drugs because i am wet and have red eyes ... the love of being a Arcade Lover.. (I play Guitar Freaks, Drum Mania at my arcade now) .. oh and laugh at people who play paraparaparadise.. my sister knows the dance to every song on 2nd mix >< ALFJKHAS:DIFJH:ASDF
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been playing for about 5 years now...I don't play as much as I used too..I play Drummania and Guitarfreaks as well..but I mostly play Beatmania IIDX..I've never played Para Para Paradise though...I'll try it for fun since that's at my arcade too.. Music games are fun :D

para~white

Post by para~white » Jan 24th, '06, 09:20

Bemani Love <3

Does anyone out there actually play KeyBoard Mania... ?

But i dont really like my pad.. if anyone lives near me - they can probally borrow it forever, its a hard one and all-

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Jan 26th, '06, 07:17

Yeah, Bemani Love <3!

We used to have a Keyboard Mania at my arcade, but they got rid of i. I don't really remember which mix it was:-( I only played it once when it was still there too..It's really, really hard..I would like to play it on again one day but I haven't seen any arcades that have it anymore..

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 5th, '06, 02:14

Man I remember playing DDR when it first came out as "Dance Dance Revolution" back with 1st mix! back then I thot those songs/steps were so hard... now they have all these mixes. the DDR craze has died down with me... as it has for a lot of people... buh its styll something in my memories! and once in a while I'll set up my PS1 or PS2 and play it... ^^

ryobreak

Post by ryobreak » Feb 7th, '06, 03:50

-To answer the previous guy's question, the best metal pads are probably the Cobalt Flux pads, although they were a good $350/pad the last time I checked. If it's a bit too pricey, you can degrade and buy yourself one of the red octane ones.

I play DDR often, and I've passed Max300 on heavy. My favorite songs are probably healing vision (angelic), dead end, drop out 260bpm, can't stop falling in love (speed mix), and afronova.

Yeah, he's certainly right- most of the challenge versions are actually easier than their heavy counterparts, but I guess a lot of it is just preference. Challenges tend to give you the opposite of what it used to be, like for afronova (challenge), there is a lot less jumps but more intense eigth steps and sixteenth steps.

If you play SMO (stepmania online), I'll be more than happy to play you =]\

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » Feb 8th, '06, 03:16

Sadly, I am still on Light mode. I'm at the brink of graduating to Standard but it's so hard. Oh well, practice, practice, practice...Anyways, which DDR games do you guys like? I only have DDR max 2. Are there any other ones for PS2 that you guys would recommed?