MPAA (2006-May 09 announcement) Dogs trained to detect DVDS

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
delsxyz

MPAA (2006-May 09 announcement) Dogs trained to detect DVDS

Post by delsxyz » May 10th, '06, 00:49

All details can be downloaded from
http://www.mpaa.org/press_releases/2006_05_09.pdf

Dogs have been trained to search for counterfeit DVDs!
They work in a busy airport environment to seize such
counterfeit DVDs from your luggage.

--Other sources
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story? ... 531&page=1
HOLLYWOOD, Calif., May 10, 2006 — There are drug-sniffing dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs, people-sniffing dogs, and now DVD-sniffing dogs.

An alliance of film industry groups that includes the Motion Picture Association of America and the Federation Against Copyright Theft has announced the world's first dogs specially trained to detect CDs and DVDs in bags and packages. The idea is that the dogs may be able to alert police to large stashes of pirated movies.

The MPAA says there are currently two DVD-sniffing dogs in the world. They are Labradors named Lucky and Flo working at Stansted Airport in the United Kingdom. The canines have been taught to recognize the unique smell of a compact disc.

"Someone had the wise idea that maybe dogs could sniff out DVDs," Kori Bernards, MPAA spokeswoman, told ABC News. "There are a lot of pirated products that go in and out of Heathrow Airport and airports around the world."

The dogs have had some success so far, according to the MPAA. But there is still more training that needs to be done. At this point, the dogs alert police to any CD or DVD they smell in packages and bags. Customs officials in the U.K. hope one day the dogs will only signal when there are large collections of discs, which would more likely include illegally copied movies.

For the time being, Lucky and Flo are working at a FedEx shipping center at Stansted Airport where they are sniffing packages that are shipped around the world. Trainers say the dogs have been notifying customs agents of packages with discs in them. The packages have been opened but so far no pirated movies have been found.

"We're encouraged by this. It's a new tool against piracy but we welcome it and hope others will adopt such practices," said Bernards.

The movie industry has been trying all kinds of tactics recently to crack down on illegally copied movies. Earlier this week, the MPAA announced its employees are offering theater workers training to help them identify customers who might be using camcorders to make bootleg copies of films. Apparently that effort has already worked because four people were caught last weekend in California, Illinois and Taipei, Taiwan, allegedly trying to videotape "Mission: Impossible III," according to the MPAA.

Trainers in the U.K. said they hope to one day teach more dogs to detect discs. The ultimate goal is to have DVD detection dogs at airports and shipping centers around the world.

----------
Last edited by delsxyz on May 11th, '06, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

groink

Post by groink » May 10th, '06, 00:55

But only really stinky, smelly movies can be detected, right?

nyczfish

Post by nyczfish » May 10th, '06, 02:22

A dog sniffing out a dvd? I think the dogs are trained to sniff the plastics out of the dvd. Anyways, MPAA, is doing a poor job on their counterfeiting plans.

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » May 10th, '06, 02:38

I feel safer already.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 10th, '06, 02:43

as long as the TSA tells me to take off my shoes for the security check, i'm perfectly safe.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 12th, '06, 03:40

PUPPIES! <3

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » May 13th, '06, 21:53

lol. seems like a waste of time.

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » May 14th, '06, 01:59

I thought i'd seen everything, but dvd sniffing dogs..sheesh..Now that's just soo plain stupid..Well if it was a different animal, like a dvd sniffing cat then I could live that..lol

man..the MPAA has totally gone to the dogs..sheesh

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » May 14th, '06, 02:14

hmmmm.... i don't get it.

so what if i travel to the Philippines this summer, buy bootleg DVDs, rip them (while i'm still there), transfer them to my iPod and/or 500GB external HD, and/or even burn them on blu-ray discs, and then bring them here in the US. does MPAA think of training dogs to sniff my iPod for bootleg stuff? :roll

hey i can't even train my dog to use the potty, and they made some effort to train dogs to sniff DVDs? :glare:

for me it is a waste of resources, when they could have used their efforts to train people to go after "manufacturers" or their sources of DVDs.

sigh.

hey, who knows they might find WMD. :P

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » May 14th, '06, 02:15

Next time someone hijacks a plane I know he won´t threaten anyone with a CD :roll

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » May 14th, '06, 02:23

this is stupid.... what a waste of money

delsxyz

Anyway...

Post by delsxyz » May 14th, '06, 02:44

If you live in England, do not bring back bootleg DVDs from overseas.

By the way
2 years ago, when I was at JFK (New York), qued up for customs, one guy (he was a Philipino) just ahead of myself at the Customs, Customs found bunches of DVDs (housed
in clear plastic envelops) from his luggage and confiscated them.

nyczfish

Post by nyczfish » May 14th, '06, 03:38

All I know is it is a waste of resources and their are different alternatives.

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » May 14th, '06, 07:26

from the article:

Lucky and Flo are the world's first DVD-sniffing dogs.
[img]http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_fact_dog_0510_sp.jpg[/img]

these two look like they were "pirated" or copied. :blink :roll :whistling:
talk about MPAA endorsing "copied" dogs!

azx

Post by azx » May 17th, '06, 02:23

"They were
amazingly successful at identifying packages containing DVDs, which were opened and
checked by HM Customs’ representatives. While all were legitimate shipments on the day..."

wtf... this is hella stupid... they detect DVDs... WHETHER FAKE OR NOT!
that will make everyone work extra hard opening pakages all day to check if they are actually FAKE