Dedicated Site for Asian variety shows

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What to do with the TV variety shows?

Poll ended at Oct 5th, '06, 04:11

Make a dedicated site for them similiar to d-addicts
53%
Keep them at d-addicts
47%

Total votes: 137

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Dedicated Site for Asian variety shows

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 15th, '06, 04:11

So I was thinking of making a seperate site similiar to d-addicts but for asian tv variety and music shows. Looking at the stats page there are these amount of torrents:

j-tv: 710
hk-tv: 39
k-tv: 17

enough to make a small dedicated site for them and d-addicts is really for dramas anyway, the tv torrents were added later when other tracker sites went down.

So what does the community think? Make a new site for them or keep them with d-addicts?

It would take more effort to maintain 2 sites rather than 1 so I would like to see if there's enough interest in it to see if its worthwhile.
Last edited by Ruroshin on Sep 15th, '06, 04:25, edited 3 times in total.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Sep 15th, '06, 04:14

I think it would be good to make a variety show tracker...though what to call it...V-Addicts? XD

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 15th, '06, 04:20

doink-chan wrote:I think it would be good to make a variety show tracker...though what to call it...V-Addicts? XD
you know v-addicts.com is already taken by someone else :lol

sherriebes

Post by sherriebes » Sep 15th, '06, 04:24

yes i agree. go for it

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Sep 15th, '06, 04:33

From the consumer's point of view, more convenient to get from same site compared to having to log into a different site.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Sep 15th, '06, 04:57

I just don't see a site for TV shows (non dramas) being worthwhile. Searching for "SMAP" in the torrents search on d-addicts brings up a screen almost full of dead torrents. But it is true this site is really meant for dramas. The site would most likely have to be a VERY small site. But we're only less than an hour into this poll O_o. I guess we'll have to see how the voting goes ^_^"

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Sep 15th, '06, 05:11

I voted for a site to be dedicated to them solely for the reason I think (and I could be very wrong) having them separate from the dramas makes them much more visible and therefore more likely to keep the torrents alive. I was reading a thread just today over on JPopsuki where someone was lamenting the dwindling availability of variety & music shows. I think here they tend to get lost among the drama episodes. I think, too, it might not be a natural conclusion for fans of such programming to look for them on a drama site. When they're all together with a dedicated fanbase and it can be promoted as a variety show tracker, it seems like it has more potential to grow as a community.

Just my 2 cents worth of thought...

SmilingInSeattle

Post by SmilingInSeattle » Sep 15th, '06, 05:14

Keep them in d-addicts. I sure would like to get the 2005 MBC Concert Series!

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Sep 15th, '06, 06:19

toyotaku wrote:I voted for a site to be dedicated to them solely for the reason I think (and I could be very wrong) having them separate from the dramas makes them much more visible and therefore more likely to keep the torrents alive.
I agree with toyotaku here. I think Asian variety shows deserve more attention than they're getting. Having a site dedicated to them would get more drama addicts here to explore other shows besides dramas. I have a lot of Korean variety shows to share & wouldn't mind helping to maintain a separate site. If there's enough interest from the community, who knows, there could be more fansubbers willing to sub such shows.

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Sep 15th, '06, 06:34

I vote to keep them. Can't see how a seperate site make them more visible or increase the longevity of the torrents. It's not hard at all to find them along with the dramas. Rather think the chances for variety shows to get the casual downloader (like myself) increase if they're here. And think it was groink that said it is the very nature of bt that torrents die out anyway.

geez if you wanted to seperate something out make it the "Life and Relationships" I mean if you say d-addicts is for "dramas". :scratchchin:

Philosoranter

Post by Philosoranter » Sep 15th, '06, 06:54

I like the idea of a site dedicated to variety shows, especially if it meant more regular or reliable uploads. Personally, I started coming to this site back when Mechaike was being posted here, and stayed for things like London Hearts and Pussma. Aside from things like Sentou no Musume and Gal Circle (nope, no common thread between those two...), I haven't downloaded much in the way of drama at all. It's variety shows I'm after and they're not easy to find.

I think a seperate area for variety shows would help foster interest in them, especially if it attracted regular posters for current shows. I think they warrant a place as a genre seperate from dramas.

As for a name, if v-addicts is taken, what about v-junkies? :-)

jocutus

Post by jocutus » Sep 15th, '06, 06:55

I also voted to keep them.
2 clicks and you only see them. 2 more clicks and they aren't shown at all.
If a torrent dies, it dies. Here and there. No difference.

sasuke-kun010

Post by sasuke-kun010 » Sep 15th, '06, 12:24

i think it would be better if to keep them in another website similar to d-addicts because the traker will be more available it's just an oppinion

Shidou Sakura

Post by Shidou Sakura » Sep 15th, '06, 12:54

I don't think its a good idea to remove non-drama torrents, at the same time I think its a bad idea to put all ones eggs in the same basket.

On Saiyaman's site the majority of the torrents are anime (all raw), with a few TV series, (mostly variety shows like Trivia no Izumi, and a number of Snap episodes. (again raw.)) The point is, there are people who like more than just one type of entertainment.

One idea would be to mirror the non-drama torrents here, that way people can still get their Trivia fix, drama fix, and Meitantei Conan fix, without visiting three sites.

Another idea would be to make separate sections for the non-drama TV series, that way it stays one site and its somewhat easier to find TNI, Snap, etc...

kazuki

Post by kazuki » Sep 15th, '06, 15:13

I vote for another site dedicated for Variety-shows. :mrgreen:

kaite

New Site Would Be Great!

Post by kaite » Sep 15th, '06, 15:52

I agree that D-Addicts at it's core is an amazing drama source, and keeping things succinct is never a bad idea. A smaller separate site for variety shows would be brilliant!

Also, I think there are a lot of people who are really missing shows like SMAPxSMAP, Utaban, Shojiki Shindoi, HEYx3, Music Fighter, Music Station, and Shin Domoto Kyodai now that Jpopsuki is no longer a source. I'm one of the them! Add that to the great shows already uploaded @ D-Addicts (London Hearts, Ainori, Ai no Apron, MBHTV, Koisuru Honey Kami, etc.) and you've got yourself a KILLER variety site.

I for one would totally be willing to help. I don't have the knowledge needed to build a site or code or anything, but I'd be willing to help with long-term seeding or anything else that the D-Addicts crew would like to assign me and that my little brain is capable of. :-D

A great variety site is sorely needed!!

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » Sep 15th, '06, 16:53

I prefer to visit only d-addicts site with 1 lick and see the whole thing- as it is now. :mrgreen: Why don't make it a section such as korean drama, japan drama, taiwan drama as we already have now?

chaldean

Post by chaldean » Sep 15th, '06, 18:24

It was a hard choice to make. I like having them here, as a supplement to my j-dorama addiction. But the point others made, that a dedicated site might build awareness of the shows, is a good one. Meanwhile, I dislike the extra work two sites would make for the kind folks who bring us the present site. But the idea of dedicating d-addicts to drama does make sense.

I wound up voting for a separate site, but it wasn't a very strong vote.

Bob

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Sep 15th, '06, 18:42

Might I suggest that if you do in fact make a seperate site that the accounts from d-addicts be linked? I think it would keep most people from being annoyed by having to visit two sites just to get their asian television fix. It would be as if you were to keep them on d-addicts but to make a fine seperation between dramas and variety shows.

ldv

Post by ldv » Sep 15th, '06, 22:38

sounds like a good idea to have a separate forum for these variety shows... yeah good. i voted for that too. =D

Tensai

Post by Tensai » Sep 15th, '06, 23:01

I wouldn't say jpopsuki is no longer a source for the music shows, they've just lost one of their top uploaders. I know I'm going to do my part to at least supplement M-Sta if I can, but I don't have much in the way of reliable sources.

This is why Ai no Apron has been so hard to upload on a regular basis, all the sources I had dried up, so I can no longer regularly upload the new shows. But as one of the people who enjoys shows outside of just drama, music, and anime, I wouldn't mind a another source that would be for the regular J-TV. It would give more exposure, and those of us with older stuff would have a place to post without cluttering up the drama site.

I vote for two separate sections if possible, but with linked user info.

-Ten

groink

Post by groink » Sep 15th, '06, 23:15

I voted against the dedicated xTV site. Several reasons:

1. Are the xTV show torrents interfering with the xdramas? Because all torrents here are tagged/labeled accordingly, there should not be any interference if one applies the correct filters in their search criteria.

2. Are the discussions between xTV and xdrama interfering with each other? If EVERYONE were to follow proper naming conventions in their subject names, and also post in the correct forums/sub-forums, then NO, there should not be any interference.

3. Are the discussions about the people involved with xTV interfering with the xdrama artists? No, because virtually all people involved in xTV are also artists in xdramas.

So as you can see, there aren't any problems that exist that I know of. I think, based on several posts here, they want things to be separated but at the same time enjoy the same member profiles between the sites. I think creating a separate site would be more cumbersome than a convenience.

--- groink

chiisana_tantei

Post by chiisana_tantei » Sep 16th, '06, 00:09

I'd like to ask questions first to Ruroshin-san and all the members..
What would be the purpose of making a separate websites for the variety shows? Is it so that variety shows get more attention (like some member have said), or is there anything else like to reduce tracker load by having 2nd tracker dedicated for variety shows?

At this point, if the tracker can handle all the torrents, then let it be on the same tracker.
For the front end side, I think it's a good idea to make a simple filter (1-click) and gives the user only variety shows related torrents (they can also bookmark this if they only care about variety shows). As for the discussion forums, just organize it for easy access.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 16th, '06, 00:29

The main driver for my initial idea was because I've been seening some comments lately from members here and elsewhere that it would be nice to have a dedicated site for tv variety shows because currently they are split between 3-4 places and none of them are geared towards tv variety.

I also thought a dedicated site might bring out some uploaders who maybe would not normally upload the tv shows but might if there was a community for it.

As far as technical capacity goes, we are kinda ok at the moment, I've bought some extra servers and have moved some stuff that was on the tracker server off.

mt877

Post by mt877 » Sep 16th, '06, 02:16

I say keep them at DA, as others have already mentioned, it would be a great idea to have a separate page within the DA hierarchy, which is distinctly variety tv. It could be a separate page, sort of like the Drama Wiki pages, so to speak. The Drama Wiki pages don't share the DA forums and really stand on its own, but still are part of DA. Just a thought.

chiisana_tantei

Post by chiisana_tantei » Sep 16th, '06, 03:35

In that case, then I vote for the shows to stay at D-A. Some things may need to be organized to create a small community.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 16th, '06, 13:54

i guess i would need more info, but just from a quick perusal, i'd say keep them on DA. if you're talking about a separate tracker, then by all means. but if it's a separate site run by you, Ruro, then it could be cumbersome. and i'd hate to see our fanbase separated.

Bu

Post by Bu » Sep 16th, '06, 15:54

I think we should keep them at DA as well.

I like the fact i can find both here easily. Keeping them together makes searching and browsing for both easier.

But i think the biggest reason to leave the variety here is to keep everyone together at one site, rather than separating them between 2. I dont think the possible dilution of the community is worth the gain in organization.

But if the goal is to soley focus on each, then 2 sites is definitely the way to go.

I voted to keep them together.

rahula

Post by rahula » Sep 16th, '06, 18:06

someone mentioned before that most of the tv shows are low seeded or dead torrents. Well, I myself kind of "forget" about j-tv torrents simply for the reasons that I can't take raw videos. My Japanese level is mysteriously low after such a good time of being in touch with the language - maybe for the very main reason of me being kind of stupid ah ah :lol

Anyways, I vote for keeping everything sticked to DA site. No other dedicated one.

That's because to me it would only be worth the efforts if it meant more people being able to catch up with the subtitles, seeders, etc. I really think that's the reason for it not being a bustling area.

DA is so well-organized! A great level of participations on the discussion boards - be about dramas or shows, that I think going along is just the best idea. I mean.. there would be nothing on a dedicated server that couldn't be found here. They just don't interfere one on another. And I also don't agree with what was mentioned before about the shows being less "visible" that it would be if on a show-dedicated server. It's the minimum requirement and effort by anyone at least to take a look at the search engine or read the abouts, comments, forums, etc. Aren't visible enough the flexible bounds of the DA site? I think it is.

That's it :salut:

ukyo[/b]

dango

Post by dango » Sep 16th, '06, 18:13

i voted to keep variety at DA, because variety and drama are viewed by *mostly* the same audience (although one person posted saying that they mostly only watch variety). i believe that if there were a second site, the majority of users would be looking at both anyway.

although i agree it would be nice to see more attention given to variety, i believe it's not necessarily worthwhile to put together another site. perhaps, as others have suggested, a new forum and/or torrent filter would be nice. maybe this forum and/or filter could be accessible via a separate URL and/or could *look* different from DA, but an entirely different site seems unnecessary.

at any rate, the existence of this poll itself seems likely to get some ppl talking more about variety, which is good.

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Sep 16th, '06, 19:00

ye ye i agree i think it is a gd idea .....but i think u sud make the upload a bit easier like how to upload on youtube because i have trouble uploadin on d-addicts as it is..because my bro has downloaded quite a lot of xman (korean) and i wud love to share it but he downloaded it off emule...so i dont get bout the tracker thing or the url...but the problem is ....is neone upto sub then....

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Sep 16th, '06, 20:43

korean_foreva wrote:ye ye i agree i think it is a gd idea .....but i think u sud make the upload a bit easier like how to upload on youtube because i have trouble uploadin on d-addicts as it is..because my bro has downloaded quite a lot of xman (korean) and i wud love to share it but he downloaded it off emule...so i dont get bout the tracker thing or the url...but the problem is ....is neone upto sub then....
This doensn't really pertain to the issue at hand. -_-

Going BACK to the issue...I'm wondering how much it would it cost to maintain this new site. I think more webspace would be needed to be purchased along with the registration of a new domain. I would imagine that d-addicts already costs quite a bit. At this point only 52 people have voted to make a new site. Of the 52, who is going to help with funds? I imagine the community of v-addicts to be somewhat small. Or at least the contributing amount of v-addicts being small. A small community would also lead to less funds from ads. Again, I don't believe that this new site would be worth the effort and cost.

zaqib

Post by zaqib » Sep 17th, '06, 03:23

If the number and interest in variety show is too small, its better to keep the varieties in D-addict. Better chance of them being retained longer.

It would be a pity to create another site and later, close it down due lack of members. Even on d-addicts, they are in a separate category but at least, die-hard smapxsmap addict like me would have a chance to view my fav. variety show.

gohan127

Post by gohan127 » Sep 17th, '06, 12:28

i vote to make a second site for that, it may be linked to this one but if we keep it separate the drama torrents will be easier to seed. it will be hard to keep this site well organized if it gets too big

LeperColony
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by LeperColony » Sep 17th, '06, 13:01

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the variety shows, so I say separate.

superjunior13

Post by superjunior13 » Sep 17th, '06, 17:59

I vote that there should be a seperate site for variety shows since it'll be easier to find the variety shows people are searching for....

ChuChuIce

Post by ChuChuIce » Sep 17th, '06, 19:51

I would like to keep it on D-addicts but if ppl want it separate mayb call it S-addicts (Shows addicts) :roll Either way... i appreciate it both ^-^

mojo-chan

Post by mojo-chan » Sep 17th, '06, 22:12

I think it would be nice to keep them here, all in once place. In the end, all another site would mean is one more place to go searching every day or two.

As it is, there are around 5-15 torrents per day posted to D-Addicts, so it's not as if it's being flooded.

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Sep 18th, '06, 00:38

I say go with a new site. There's too much already on d-addicts that things are getting overwhelmed. Well, maybe it's just for me.

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Sep 18th, '06, 01:29

I voted to keep them at d-addicts.

For two reasons I guess. Though I did just wake up like 5 minutes ago so I am not sure if my reasoning is entirely sound.

First that it would be more work to maintain. Secondly because it would split the community into two different groups. Not that I am saying people would stick to one or the other, I would just prefer to see everything stay together. Same board, same posters. To try and promote variety shows, you could just modify the existing format a bit anyway. Eg currently there is Japanese Culture & Entertainment -> JDrama Discussion. How about adding a Variety Discussion? Although I dont know how much there is to discuss. Variety shows can be pretty funny though. Also if there are enough people interested in variety, have variety of the month or whatever to seed old or recent episodes or something.

Just my crazy sleepy ideas though. Acually at the moment I still download variety from jpopsuki because I never see many raw variety episodes on d-addicts. Well ok there are some right now but normally only a few.

kapneemo

Post by kapneemo » Sep 18th, '06, 01:44

I'd rather see it being kept here in one place. If the variety shows get lost among the drama torrents then perhaps there can be a separate area for variety shows to make it easier for people to browse.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 18th, '06, 03:29

Looks like the interest is split fairly evenly so i guess I'll keep the torrents here. I added a TV Shows tab to the torrent page to make browsing through them easier.

gnohz

Post by gnohz » Sep 19th, '06, 13:40

Thanks a lot boss! ^^