I Know We All Hate Newbs, But...

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
TatteredCrimson

I Know We All Hate Newbs, But...

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 18th, '07, 00:15

...I am one. I've been going to this site for about 3 years now, and only decided today to finally really become a part of it. >_<.

And yes, the newb has problems with the soft subbing already. I'd love it if anyone would be willing to help me?

Maybe I shouldn't be rude and I should introduce myself. I'm Dora, I'm 19, I love Jdorama, I am getting sucked into Taiwanese drama, and have a little nook in my heart reserved for Kdrama. Er. Errr...

VIVA LE DRAMA!

On to the problem:

I already have media player classic [use it all the time], but have never used a soft sub, so I tried 'loading' the subtitles, but a little window comes up and says:

"To load subtitles you have change the video renderer type and reopen the file.
-DirectShow: VMR7/VMR9 renderless or Haali's
-RealMedia: Sepcial renderer for RealMedia, or open it through DirectShow
-Quicktime: DX7 or DX9 renderer for QuickTime
-ShockWave: n/a"

That's exactly what it says, word for word. I can't seem to get the subtitles to work. The video plays just fine, but the subtitles are being a pain. Anyone, anyone at all, please help me. I searched for over an hour through the FAQs and could find no help, thus I resort to this.

Thank you? Yes, yes thank you beforehand. Thank you beforehand, which means that now that I have thanked you, you feel obligated to take action. You cannot ignore me. You know my plight. @_@

Help :D?

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 18th, '07, 00:20

We don't hate new members~ :)

we welcome them! :P

but making reading the FAQ might help you out with some of those questions you have there~

VIDEO / TORRENT / SUBTITLE FAQ
D-Addicts Mega-FAQ

and you might want to check out this thread to introduce yourself~
New Members

and welcome to D-A! :)

[edit]
wells.....to specifically answer your question, you don't "load" subtitles with MPC~
You need to download VobSub......then, make sure the subtitles & file names are the same and saved in the same directory~

twothreefour

Post by twothreefour » Jan 18th, '07, 00:53

Quick answer: Check that FAQ up there, but to change the video renderer you open MPC then choose View->Options->Output->then change the output to VMR7 or VMR9, confirm by clicking "Apply" then "OK". You might have to close and reopen the player after this.

unclehock

Post by unclehock » Jan 18th, '07, 01:01

hey!

don't worry, i can see where you're coming from cos i used to have alot of problems as well using vobsub and those.

everything kinda solved itself when i downloaded Sub-Edit Player, which i think is quite straightforward for using! You kinda just make sure the video and subs are in the same folder, open up the video in the program and it kinda automatically looks for subs, even if its not the same file name, they're try and see if it matches :p

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... yer.shtml
hope it'll help you : )

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 18th, '07, 05:49

You don't need to 'load' the subs, it should do it automatically. If it doesn't, chances are the SRT filename doesn't match the video filename - which happens very often because of different releases.

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 18th, '07, 16:48

Wow. I really thank you all for trying to help me to play the subtitles.
Lilstwangel:Thank you for suggesting VobSub I did download VobSub, but the files are two DLL files that I'm not able to open. Is it supposed to be like that? And I did make sure the file names were correct to the last space.

Twothreefour: I did change the output, and thank you for the suggestion :3

Unclehock: I also downloaded subedit player, but it seems to lag and not like my computer.

Kobe23: As prior menitoned, I did check to make sure that the subtitles were the same file names.

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions work and I still have problems uploading the subtitles to play with the video, or allowing the subtitles to come up automatically. It seems that I am doomed to watch the episodes of Dragon Zakura absolutely raw >_< My Japanese isn't that fluent yet, so I'll have to struggle. But really, honestly, thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try for another hour or so to see what I can do.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jan 18th, '07, 16:56

We don't hate new members~ :)

I hate them.

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 18th, '07, 17:00

aNToK wrote:
lilswtangel wrote:We don't hate new members~ :)

quote]

I hate them.
Haha, well, thanks. I hate newbs too, especially the ones that WrItE liKe ThIs OR THIS ALL THE TIME or have no grammatical sense of structure. They should die. And worst of all, I hate being one, because I usually read the rules before making a post, and then when I do have a problem, I make a post, and then find some link that I'd managed to skip over, and then I feel like shutting up and saying, "Ignore me, please." Which I feel like doing right now, because I downloaded the wrong type of VobSub, I realized. Yay for the newb. *enter the shooting of self*

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 18th, '07, 17:14

Hahahahahahaha!

Maybe the newlines in your subfile are not CRLF's?

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 18th, '07, 17:40

pokute wrote:Hahahahahahaha!

Maybe the newlines in your subfile are not CRLF's?
What, what??

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 18th, '07, 17:41

Could it be because I don't have Windows XP?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 18th, '07, 17:47

Is that supposed to work better than 2000 Flushes?

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 19th, '07, 06:00

Naah, guys, I found out that by changing the format of the subtitles from unicode to ANSI in notepad, the subtitles worked. Pretty simple, nee? Yeah, but I had to experiment in every which way to make the subtitles work.

I'm really happy that everyone tried to help me. Hontou ni ureshii desu, minna wa atashi wo tasuketa (??) kara! ARIGATOU, MINNA! *newb Japanese to the max* And to those who don't speak Japanese, "I'm really happy because everyone helped me. THANKS, DEWDS!" Well, not really, but, you know, close XD.

*exit newb mode*

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 19th, '07, 10:23

We don't hate newbs, but we do hate n00bs. There's a distinct difference between the two :O

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 19th, '07, 16:41

kobe23 wrote:We don't hate newbs, but we do hate n00bs. There's a distinct difference between the two :O
Haha. Really now? I never new it. There are two species?! Does either evolve?!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 19th, '07, 17:50

^ You are a n00b because you claim to be coming here for 3 years yet don't know how to display softsub and post the question in the wrong forum without reading FAQ first :roll

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 19th, '07, 17:52

Woohoo! I smell a n00b burning!

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jan 23rd, '07, 03:11

TatteredCrimson wrote:
kobe23 wrote:We don't hate newbs, but we do hate n00bs. There's a distinct difference between the two :O
A Newb is somebody that is new to something (in this case, a forum).

Newbs evolve, with the help of some older members showing the way, or they usually pick up on their own.

A n00b is somebody who lacks common sense, and does a load of ridiculous things; such as spamming.

N00bs never really evolve, they just cause more headaches, haha.

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Jan 23rd, '07, 03:38

Eziya Minamoto wrote:
TatteredCrimson wrote:

Newbs evolve, with the help of some older members showing the way, or they usually pick up on their own.

A n00b is somebody who lacks common sense, and does a load of ridiculous things; such as spamming.

Haha, this newb just realized that she spelled 'knew' wrong >_< "I never new it." I can't believe I did that. XD But I see. I will definitely evolve! *pumping of the fist*

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jan 23rd, '07, 03:53

TatteredCrimson wrote:
Eziya Minamoto wrote:
TatteredCrimson wrote:

Haha, this newb just realized that she spelled 'knew' wrong >_< "I never new it." I can't believe I did that. XD But I see. I will definitely evolve! *pumping of the fist*
Haha, no worries...You'll learn.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 23rd, '07, 07:51

Eziya Minamoto wrote: A Newb is somebody that is new to something (in this case, a forum).

You explained it really well :-) That part there is the major difference between a newb and a n00b. A lot of people don't realize that n00bs could've been around for years, yet still knows nothing because of their inability to learn and adapt.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jan 23rd, '07, 08:30

I simply call them idiots, myself...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 23rd, '07, 16:59

The good thing about n00bs is that they are tireless when it comes to being beaten and abused.

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jan 23rd, '07, 21:45

kobe23 wrote:
Eziya Minamoto wrote: A Newb is somebody that is new to something (in this case, a forum).

You explained it really well :-) That part there is the major difference between a newb and a n00b. A lot of people don't realize that n00bs could've been around for years, yet still knows nothing because of their inability to learn and adapt.
It comes from a lot of bad experiences with n00bs on forums. :crazy:

BeerChan

Post by BeerChan » Jan 27th, '07, 18:12

pokute wrote:The good thing about n00bs is that they are tireless when it comes to being beaten and abused.
Ain't that the truth. XD

howzitboy

Post by howzitboy » Jan 27th, '07, 18:41

back to your fixed problem. if i was you, id try a different player like vlc (video lan client) or gom player. both are free, both dont use codex and both play subs perfectly. they are really small programs that i carry on my jump drive so when i wanna let someone borrow my dvds, they will have a player that works. just install in their puter and bam!
its time to evolve even more!!!

blamvitaburst

Post by blamvitaburst » Jan 27th, '07, 18:44

I always thought being a newb had a lot to do with being impolite and an idiot with no skillz. Also, being pwnted a lot by people with a false sense of superiority built on knowing how to do something in an online setting that's actually pretty insignificant to the universe. Oh, and not writing very well- as though the newb had only just taken their first grade spelling class. Probably partially caused by the fear and leg peeing brought on by the knowledge that their total idiocy would soon be raped with literature by fifty uptight senior citizens with insomnia and delusions of grandeur.
:lol :lol :lol :lol
I :wub: the internets. No better series of tubes.

edit: and howzitboy is right about Gom player in general. It works really well for me for almost all the videos I find. I think on a few strange formats I had to go back to MPC in order to have subs, but other than that it's pretty good. I hope it's totally legit with no adware, though. It probably is but I can't vouch for it at all in that area. Something on my computer is making me run anti-adware software almost once a day so it's good to be careful and do some research if you can. :pale: