Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

About Buying Dramas....

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Wingmar

About Buying Dramas....

Post by Wingmar » Mar 11th, '07, 11:31

I have been thinking to buy some dramas and movies from yesasia.
But I'm just worried over the sub.
Is it better than the subbed one that you can download?
If you have bought anything
( also good if you could tell me exactly what , if you want ^^)
then please tell me if it is good or not :O

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Re: About Buying Dramas....

Post by habukie » Mar 11th, '07, 23:37

Wingmar wrote:I have been thinking to buy some dramas and movies from yesasia.
But I'm just worried over the sub.
Is it better than the subbed one that you can download?
If you have bought anything
( also good if you could tell me exactly what , if you want ^^)
then please tell me if it is good or not :O
please take a look in this forum.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 12th, '07, 19:38

Now...i have a question about the non-korean dramas , the japanese and taiwanese dramas ...

Has anyone here bought it at EBAY those Dramas on DVD that comes with nice box?

I was planing on buying "nobuta wo produce" with english sub, the seller say it's 100% original, not dvd-r or copied.

does this guarante it's not a downloaded version??? :unsure:

groink

Post by groink » Mar 12th, '07, 21:25

Rasckita wrote:Now...i have a question about the non-korean dramas , the japanese and taiwanese dramas ...

Has anyone here bought it at EBAY those Dramas on DVD that comes with nice box?

I was planing on buying "nobuta wo produce" with english sub, the seller say it's 100% original, not dvd-r or copied.

does this guarante it's not a downloaded version??? :unsure:
Regarding Japanese dramas, I would say that the price for the item is a clear indicator of whether or not the item is a bootleg. As far as my research goes, the Japanese TV companies do not license their dramas to companies outside of Japan for VCD/DVD production. Therefore, for the item to be totally legal:

1. The DVD MUST be region-2
2. The item MUST NOT contain English or Chinese subtitles
3. The item MUST NOT contain hard subtitles in any language
4. If the item is sold as NEW, it should cost at least US$120.00 for a 12-episode DVD box set. Anything cheaper - the seller is taking a loss. And all sellers don't sell at a loss.
5. The Japanese TV companies never released their dramas on VCD/SVCD. Only DVD, VHS, Betamax, HI-8, and laser disc.

--- groink

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 13th, '07, 13:31

thanks for the information! :-)
But they dont license the dramas to Malaysia?

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Mar 13th, '07, 13:43

I don't believe they license to Malaysia. However, I do believe they take the video from official DVDs and just add subtitles, remove/change menus, etc. So if you're just interested in getting some DVD quality RAWs with poor but understandable subtitles, Malay releases are fine. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

meme-sama

Post by meme-sama » Mar 13th, '07, 13:44

there r some DVDs in yesasia have eng sub......and in ebay 2
however i've never buy DVDs from those sites
when i was in hongkong and thiland i bought original drama DVDs with eng subtitle :D
so 1st check if they have sub...and buy it ...
i dont care abt da rigion coz mine is multi

meme-sama

Post by meme-sama » Mar 13th, '07, 13:46

yeah and i found fullhouse DVD in amazon.com
so it must be subtitled :-)

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 13th, '07, 22:50

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:I don't believe they license to Malaysia. However, I do believe they take the video from official DVDs and just add subtitles, remove/change menus, etc. So if you're just interested in getting some DVD quality RAWs with poor but understandable subtitles, Malay releases are fine. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
I didnt knew all that...I thought it was a licensed DVD because it came with the same box that comes american series, for example, plus it had a little logo on it...
But it's good to know that...When my DVD arrive i'll check the quality and everything because if it's good and the episodes are not downloaded ones, i'll buy another serie because some new series it's hard to find at amazon and even at yesasia. :-(

here r some DVDs in yesasia have eng sub......and in ebay 2
however i've never buy DVDs from those sites
when i was in hongkong and thiland i bought original drama DVDs with eng subtitle
so 1st check if they have sub...and buy it ...
i dont care abt da rigion coz mine is multi
I dont know if my DVD is multiregion so i always check if it's region free! :-)

Ahhh does anyone know a site where we can see all the jdramas , twdrama and kdrama dvd release???

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 14th, '07, 01:21

:P oh im so so happy I found this thread, I have been mulling this over fir a while.
I would lovvvee to buy my favorite dramas on DVD with eng/ subtitles, so a couple days ago I searched EBAY and AMAZON to see if they had them. (I looked for HYD season 1, Gokuten, and Kimi Wa Petto) to my surprise they had HYD and Gokuten dvds with eng subs on EBAY, and it looked offical too! Does anyone know if this is a good place to buy dramas, or if not, a website that is? We shouldn't be limited to what drama's we buy just because most of us can't jet over to Japan to buy them....

I would really really appreicate people helping me on this, I'm tired of watching my jdrama on my computer!

Oh, and also if anyone is a fan of Kimi Wa Petto, I know they released a box set DVD for that, but I couldn't find it anywhere! Anyone know anything on that?

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 15th, '07, 11:31

so a couple days ago I searched EBAY and AMAZON to see if they had them. (I looked for HYD season 1, Gokuten, and Kimi Wa Petto) to my surprise they had HYD and Gokuten dvds with eng subs on EBAY, and it looked offical too!
Yeahhh there are so many dramas there with english sub and they really looked official. If it wasnt for this thread i didnt knew it was unofficial.

I bought one dvd box at ebay with english sub, i'll be arriving probabaly March 20th. When it arrive, i'll post here what i think about the quality and everything. If it's good, i'll definetely going to buy another serie.

I'm also tired of watching the dramas on computer...it makes my eyes hurt. :-(

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 17th, '07, 19:54

My Dvd arrived and I was satisfied. The subtitles are easy to view and read (there are some small english mistakes but you still can understant it very well), the image quality is great and the Dvd even comes with EXTRAS!! :P Profile of the artists, interview, backstage and etc. :)

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 19th, '07, 15:52

ah great thanks! I'm going to buy some dvds very soon, yeah im also tired of watching on the internet... plus I just like to display my drama addiction! :P

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 19th, '07, 16:57

it's so much better to watch the dramas on TV!!! :D

Watching on computer make my eyes hurt and my internet is not very fast so it takes me ages to download one episode... :(
I tried making some dvds with the episodes i downloaded but as my dvd player is old, some dvds doesnt play or freezes in some scenes and it's to much work and wait to in the end of the burning process when you test, the dvd dont play as you want. :(

Which series you'll buy???
i'll buy Nobuta wo produce now :D

Ahhh when you buy from ebay...i recommend you to buy from stores and not from regular user and always check their points, read the feedback people leave them.
Ahhh and in the page of the dvd you want to buy click on "purchases" and see what people bought the same item you want to buy, then click on the people that bought it and see the feedback they left to the buyer that sold the item you want to buy.
This helps to see what people thought about the product ;)

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 19th, '07, 17:18

:D Thanks so much for your advice! I will probably be buyig HYD ad Gokuse right away.

I REALLY REALLY want Kimi Wa Petto, but I've looked everywhere and can't find dvds of it, so that sucks. KWP is my fave <3

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Mar 19th, '07, 18:44

I was going to buy HYD but i ended buying meteor garden because hyd i can find it with portuguese subs and mg no. :)

i think i saw kimi wa petto somewhere...if i remember where, i'll tell you...

redwoodtreesprite

Post by redwoodtreesprite » Mar 20th, '07, 12:29

I am also wondering about how to tell if a product is a legit one, as we don't believe in supporting piracy, no matter how desirable a series or movie might be.

I have a deep love of the Journey to the West story, and would love to get the different animated versions. These for example look nice:

http://www.cgcmall.com/Xi_You_Ji_Cartoon_p/vc00xiyj.htm
http://www.cgcmall.com/Monkey_King_p/vc00swk.htm
http://www.cgcmall.com/Journey_to_the_W ... c00xi1.htm

Unfortunately, classic stories like this are not popular for fansubbing, at least the animated versions aren't. So the only option is to buy them.

But for chinese animated shows in particular, is there any way to tell if the product is a legit one or a bootleg?

And are there any online vendors who are better about carrying only legal, non-pirated asian animated and live action shows and movies?

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 20th, '07, 14:38

hmm that looks legit to me, but Im no expert :unsure: I guess you can look at how official looking the website looks, and if theres feedback and what kind it is.

orangeinsanity

Post by orangeinsanity » Mar 20th, '07, 19:33

Rasckita wrote:My Dvd arrived and I was satisfied. The subtitles are easy to view and read (there are some small english mistakes but you still can understant it very well), the image quality is great and the Dvd even comes with EXTRAS!! :P Profile of the artists, interview, backstage and etc. :)

hmm who was the seller and what did you buy?

babyxdorkii

Post by babyxdorkii » Mar 29th, '07, 17:24

i`m selling some japanese doramas that are mostly from malaysia. they have good/great subtitiles..well as for the one that i have watch through like nobuta wo produce they got excellent quality for the subs for me and kurosagi was great too. as for other i havne't open the package to take a look.

bria333

Post by bria333 » Apr 10th, '07, 12:33

I have bought 2 japanese doramas from ebay - Mayalysian orgin. They seem to be very legit with good packaging, serial numbers etc....
Subtitles however are another story. One, Antique was unwatchable. Subtitles made no sense at all. The other one Anego had understandable subs however compared to the fansubs I have downloaded they are 2nd class. Not everything is translated (particularly signs, emails, letters, character thought bubbles etc), there are no cultural explanations that you get with fansubs and this dvd had some very unprofessional comments. At one point the subber says "I don't know business vocab so I am not translating this bit... bite me!" Another time he/she talks about how hot Jin san is and how much the episode "sucked". I would like to try and do the right thing and buy licensed dvd when possible but so far my experience has just made me appreciate the fansubbers more! I just donated to SARS and Nya because of this. Good job and thanks for putting so much love in your work! I wish I knew how to merge the softsubs with the dvds......
If anyone has come across any dvds with good subs please let me know!

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Apr 10th, '07, 13:11

Not everything is translated (particularly signs, emails, letters, character thought bubbles etc), there are no cultural explanations that you get with fansubs
yeap...in the dvd i bought these details were not translated.
and this dvd had some very unprofessional comments. At one point the subber says "I don't know business vocab so I am not translating this bit... bite me!" Another time he/she talks about how hot Jin san is and how much the episode "sucked".
Awww...that's a pity....I guess i was lucky then because the subtitles of Meteor Garden (the dvd i bought) were very good, they even looked like subtitles of regular dvds. It had a few english mistakes but it was understandable and readable. I was satisfied.

But after i read your post i think maybe ,as i said, i was lucky then...i guess it depends on the serie you buy.
I would like to try and do the right thing and buy licensed dvd when possible but so far my experience has just made me appreciate the fansubbers more! I just donated to SARS and Nya because of this. Good job and thanks for putting so much love in your work! I wish I knew how to merge the softsubs with the dvds......
yeah me too! But they never come with english sub! :-( that's a pity.
There are many fansubbers that make subtitles even better than the original. Take for example the animes, in Brazil before a serie is released there are many animes that are subbed by fansubs, when the serie is released on TV channel with oficial subtitles, you notice that some fan subtitles are better than the oficial.
If anyone has come across any dvds with good subs please let me know!
Well, as i said, Meteor garden I has good subtitles in my opinion. :thumright:

Ahhh just one advice for new buyers .... check the laws of your country... because sometimes when you buy things from other countries , when they arive to yours, you need to pay some taxes.

3chankoolzE

Post by 3chankoolzE » Apr 10th, '07, 16:37

I recomend u this page... This web contain korean dramas and movies....

http://www.seoulselection.com/

Japanese doramas, taiwanese n chinese

http://www.sensasian.com/view/catalog.cgi/EN/1075