Flashbacks & Voice-Overs - Your Opinion?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
JDfan

Flashbacks & Voice-Overs - Your Opinion?

Post by JDfan » Jun 2nd, '07, 17:57

Do you feel bothered by either of them while watching the series?

Is it necessary to remind that frequently about what happened minutes ago?
Because it makes the story dragged to me, and I think nobody got a problem catching up the plot as each episode has recap at the beginning to recall where last episode leaves off, even we watch the show on TV day by day or week by week, there shouldn't be any trouble of following the story.

And the voiceover - I thought it was for making easier to understand what's going on.
But some series, they've got too many I think, and most of them are not necessarily to be put into, because what it actually helps is to express the emotional status of characters which we're supposed to get from acting.
To me, voiceover is more for sort of the stage performances such as play etc since they have limitation in the way of reaching the audiences

It's like that without these 2 elements along the show, they think we won't have a clue about what being told.
Don't insult me, just some humble opnions about what I've watched :P

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 5th, '07, 01:01

interesting drama-related topic. hope you don't mind me editing the title.

queequeg

Post by queequeg » Jun 5th, '07, 01:21

I was just talking about this subject with another fan. It seems, especially with K-dramas, as the series goes on, the flashback scenes (interspersed with deep meaningful looks off into nowhere) get longer and longer as all these series progress.
They could probably cut at least 2 episodes off the length of the series just by cutting the flashback scenes. But, maybe thats the point. To fill up air time. Personally, I just fast forward through them.

happyjustrighthere

Post by happyjustrighthere » Jun 9th, '07, 01:51

flashbacks are sometimes annoying but sonetimes good, like when you've missed an ep. but voice over really suck.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 10th, '07, 15:42

Flashbacks are fine if it helps understand the story better - and they usually do. I haven't seen a drama where the flashbacks are annoying and draggy and pointless...yet.

I actually like voice overs. Dal Ja's Spring, which has the most voice-overs I've ever seen in a drama, uses them very effectively and it wouldn't be the same without them. The reason I like them is because it annoys the heck out of me when the main actress is alone in her room thinking aloud and she's basically having a conversation with herself. I find that so unrealistic and it's a lot better if you can just know what she's thinking without having her say it out loud to herself. Although if we could figure out what the character's thinking without any voice-overs or talking-to-one's-self, that would be the best.