Asian Martial Arts (which style)

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Karate-ka

Asian Martial Arts (which style)

Post by Karate-ka » Oct 25th, '07, 11:44

Just wondering if people took lessons in asian martial arts, and what made you go practice it. Are you still doing it, or did you quit it.

I have experience Kung Fu And Chon-Ji when im was young but when i was 12 i decided to do something else. When im was 14 i step in to the dojo of Karate. And now im 2 years futher with knowing that im second best of my region in the kata category.

So anyone else did Martial Arts???

Myque

Post by Myque » Oct 25th, '07, 21:28

Hey man cool thread. I am currently doing Krav Maga. It took me awhile to find a martial art I really liked. I know people who have been taking other martial arts such as wing-chun, tae kwon do, kickboxing, aikido, and eskrima, but I just couldn't find what I was looking for until I found Krav Maga. Motivation probably came from the fact that my family wasn't rich or anything when we came to the U.S. and it sucks growing up and being held up at gunpoint. Growing up, there was a park I went to with my bro and my cousins on weekends and the guy who looked over the park was a 5th dan in Aikido and was one of Steven Seagal's students. He was really cool and studied in Japan for many years. He actually studied Karate for awhile prior to the switch to Aikido. He would teach us things every weekend. He would have all of us attack him with full force and he would just throw us all over the place lol. I've never felt so much pain in my life. At the end of the day, I felt pain in places I didn't even know existed lol. :P That's probably where it all started. I'm glad that I found one that I like but my main motivation now is anger and hatred. May not be the best thing but it works for me. Also having someone to spar with is a huge motivation to keep it up. My brother has been taking Aikido for awhile so it's a really big help when you can test new things etc.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Oct 25th, '07, 23:49

I did community center Karate for a few years when I was a lot younger. Absolutely useless. I did Kenpo for a short while but moved before I could get too far. I'm currently trying to get into Tae Kwon Do and Wing Chun. A friend of mine teaches Tae Kwon Do but is currently training in Korea. So I'll probably start that in another year or so. I haven't had any luck finding someone that teaches Wing Chun.

nstbgirl

Post by nstbgirl » Oct 26th, '07, 00:13

i used to train hunf foo when i was younger but now i don't i play volleyball so i dont have time

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Oct 26th, '07, 07:35

wow cool krav maga a friend and i want to take lessons but dont know where a good school is.

Myque

Post by Myque » Oct 26th, '07, 22:33

@karate-ka: Thanks I think it's a good martial art. It's not very flashy or anything but it's simple and to the point and prepares you for real life situations. I actually googled it to find the school I attend. Since I live in California, I was pretty sure there had to be one lurking around. I just Googled my city and krav maga and got a list of nearest to me, checked some out, and found one convenient to get to lol. I think if someone wants to stick to something, it definitely helps if their destination isn't out of the way lol.

AKM

Post by AKM » Oct 26th, '07, 22:47

Kendo and iaido, been doing both for a couple of years. I'd kill for a good ken-jutsu instructor in this country. But there are none. I know of a handful in Germany and France, but it's literally a handful (same in the US). The majority of non-Japanese are to be found in Japan (ironically). Japanese instructors outside of Japan... even harder to find.

At least, we have the Takeda Ryu in kendo around here.

I might start with kyodo as well. The sensei here teaches war archery for the higher levels.

faqcorner

Post by faqcorner » Oct 28th, '07, 16:44

Kung Fu (quit)

might try to do martial arts (if they have it...) in school, if I don't make swimming :/ or something

arvin_sf

Post by arvin_sf » Nov 1st, '07, 08:26

getting trained in muay thai at the moment. i wouldn't mind learning jiu jitsu or judo down the road.

Noale

Post by Noale » Nov 2nd, '07, 11:04

Ah, I wish I could be a kung fu master :rambo:
But all I used to do is Judo. I was pretty good at it though. I once entered a contest where they thought I was male, so I had to fight the boys and I ended up third place.
I quit Judo many years ago though. I remember once having taken a lesson of Pencak Silat, but I ended up training with children half my age..

Chobitssu

Post by Chobitssu » Nov 28th, '07, 23:46

i did tae kwon do when i was about 6 and stopped when i was 12. basically my mother didn't like the idea... and you'd think she would of said something after 6 yrs eesh...

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Nov 29th, '07, 13:41

wow an interesting thread.

I studied khmer kickboxing with my father since he use to kickbox when he was young. It's practically the same as Muay Thai. I took it further than that and started to learn Bokator. The actual pronounciation goes like Boktao, which literally means "Beat Lion". It's the basically the ancient art where muay thai or khmer kickboxing comes from. It's a more complete martial art than kickboxing since it uses all types of moves aside from knee and elbow. It's a military art used during the Khmer empire for almost 800 years and it's history dates back almost 2000 years so its pretty old. If you ever watch the thai action movie "Tom Yum Goong" or in the U.S. its known as "The Protector", that is a small example of what is Bokator. He actually studied under the grandmaster himself. There's only one true grandmaster in the modern world ever since the Khmer Rouge. They killed off most of the masters and the remain got old and died. So I can only learn from videos. I also do kendo but only the foot work and the meditation since I used to be quite hot headed.

Nowadays I don't practice much but still do the occasional exercise when I have the chance.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Nov 29th, '07, 14:08

Chobitssu wrote:i did tae kwon do when i was about 6 and stopped when i was 12. basically my mother didn't like the idea... and you'd think she would of said something after 6 yrs eesh...
LOL

well im going to start tournaments training next month maby i hope they will sign me in for a big one.

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Dec 5th, '07, 22:37

Started with karate when I was a kid, it was the only thing you could do in my hometown. Well, the other options were football or icehockey, no thank you. Football, bleh... I continued a couple of years, but today... give me a sword any day. So kendo and iaido it is. Kyudo sounds interesting, but hell, those bows (really good ones) are so damn expensive. A decent iaido blade is cheaper than a bow (at least around here).

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Dec 7th, '07, 22:01

I trick 8)

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Jan 17th, '08, 01:11

Iaido always sounded interesting, and kyudo as well.
One guy who was running an aikido dojo in my neighborhood is awesome and won lots of European competitions in Iaido.

Myself, I used to practice judo for some time until my left shoulder gave up.
It's not advisable having a 180 lbs (about 85-90 kg) guy land on your collarbone.
Especially not twice in a row after just 10 weeks of rest.

After a few years the interest came back and ent through a trial phase with ninjutsu, mostly because of old family ties, and then over to aikido.

hoosdathu

Post by hoosdathu » Jan 25th, '08, 10:42

muay thai's gaining popularity here in singapore, thks to tony ja's <ong> n <tom>