Am I the Only Boy Watching Drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Blacky

Am I the Only Boy Watching Drama?

Post by Blacky » Jun 10th, '08, 22:32

I have the impression that only girls are watching drama, each time i look at the gender of D-Addicts member, i can read "Female" !

I feel alone in this girl world !

Wongo

Post by Wongo » Jun 10th, '08, 22:39

Guy here...and I don't know anyone personally who has watched more Jdoramas than me......and I know a few guys who also watch dramas which is...........suprising.....for some reason....shouldn't be but it is.

Elien

Post by Elien » Jun 10th, '08, 22:41

My brother loves to watch dorama to. Not as much as anime but still a lot :D And on of my male friends does watch dorama to. So you are not alone 8)

nad067

Post by nad067 » Jun 10th, '08, 22:46

hihi a lot of my friends watch doramas also.. i was introduced to the world of j doramas by a male friend..
don worry there are many drama-kind-of-guys out ther ^lol^

someasianguy

Post by someasianguy » Jun 10th, '08, 22:59

another guy here. the doramas that i've been watching were more comedic than anything and i've intorduced tons of folk to the world of j-dorama and started watching some tw-dramas from another male homie.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Jun 10th, '08, 23:03

Nah, there was a poll here a few years ago, males actually outnumbered the females at some point here in d-addicts.

morimoli

Post by morimoli » Jun 10th, '08, 23:04

My boyfriend hates to admit it, but he really likes watching doramas with me ^o^
Last edited by morimoli on Jun 10th, '08, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jun 10th, '08, 23:07

Another guy here. You're not alone! It may seem like it's mainly females just cause you may be watching the wrong dramas. With the influx of idol dramas, you're going to be surrounded by mainly females, more often than not... fangirls. :lol

emil775

Post by emil775 » Jun 10th, '08, 23:07

don't worry...I'm a guy, too. I really enjoy dramas and I even like some romantic ones (as long as not too many at one time, and comedies are much better haha)

welcome to the club!!!!! lol

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Jun 10th, '08, 23:10

Lol, I've got my guy friend addicted to drama :P
Not that there's no guy here but maybe you're just looking at the wrong place ^^
And if I'm not mistaken, isn't there already a topic like this...? I think I saw one before.

suparstarx

Post by suparstarx » Jun 10th, '08, 23:32

I'm a guy. I grew up watching TVB, etc.

There's really not a whole lot of difference when you compare Asian TV shows and American TV shows during prime time.

It's just that ours don't last more than a season. :P

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jun 10th, '08, 23:56

I watch alot of Korean and Taiwanese dramas. I really like dramas. x)

ridwanphy

Post by ridwanphy » Jun 11th, '08, 00:13

I have other 5 male friends who really love j-drama. And a bunch of male friends who watches sometimes only. You're not alone :D

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Jun 11th, '08, 00:16

I'm a boy here :cheers:
And don't worry, i truly think that we are numerous to watch dramas.
Boys and men from all the world :D

SithSylar

Post by SithSylar » Jun 11th, '08, 00:38

*puts hand up*

I'm a boy ^^ hahahah. :cheers: :cheers:

I love J Drama ever since i saw Densha Otoko and Bambino!

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Jun 11th, '08, 01:08

AAAHH ! Densha Otoko !!!
Bambino !!!
.....sweet memories 8)

SithSylar

Post by SithSylar » Jun 11th, '08, 01:10

I think my favourite now would have to be Last Friends ^^ i really can't get enough of that show. :D

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Jun 11th, '08, 01:14

MMhh yeap i agree, good show!
I just hope that the end won't be too sad T_T

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Jun 11th, '08, 01:16

My favourite show until know is "Last Christmas" i guess ^^

zyrene

Post by zyrene » Jun 11th, '08, 01:48

Heres another guy in the club... the first Jdrama that i watched was GTO then followed by my boss my hero... i like those kinds of drama, with delinquents. i also like romantic comedy... :cheers: the only heavy drama that i've watched so far is sekai no chuusin... its so sad i cried at the end... LOL LOL LOL :lol

Wongo

Post by Wongo » Jun 11th, '08, 04:43

All very good jdoramas.....as a guy I dunno what it is that jdoramas appeal..to me better than American Television...I think it's the purity.......and the lack of comedy in American Television......I probably only watch reality television on TV nowadays....

First Class Wota

Post by First Class Wota » Jun 11th, '08, 05:20

Here is my confession post haha. I'm a guy but to be honest I love really girly things. For example, I love Drama (Mostly romance lol), I read mainly shoujo manga, and watch alot of shoujo or romance anime. I love female idol groups like Morning Musume, C-ute, Berryz Koubou. Basically if you walked into my room you'd never think a boy lived in that room with all the posters. and the biggest surprise of all!!!! I'm NOT even gay!!! I am a weird person that's for sure...

too long didn't read: I am a guy who watches drama too, and romance ones at that and I cry for most of them. Although, I also love comedies.

btw, I agree with some of the people here, I can't stand american TV it is so bad.

and as for my favorite Dramas... hmmm I'd say Last Friends is up there even though its new and it isn't even over yet @_@. I loved Saito-san and Bara no nai Hanaya was good too. Puzzle is a great show but that is also new.

MeIrUo

Post by MeIrUo » Jun 11th, '08, 05:36

There's nothing wrong with guys loving dramas, anime and so on. I mean I have lots of male friend and they all love all korean and japanese drama. Especially the tear jerker type. And believe it or not they are all very manly. I remember watching 1 litre of tears back then, they cried a lot more than me and which we all think very funny. After all, we are all human being and who said that drama addicts is a girlie thing?

Phoenix Flare

Post by Phoenix Flare » Jun 11th, '08, 06:09

There needs to be people who oggle at the actresses too :lol

I'm a guy, don't really mind so much.

Yume

Post by Yume » Jun 11th, '08, 06:10

one of my best (male) friends loves to watch drama!
well, he is Japanese... but never mind that XD

aeikaryoko

Post by aeikaryoko » Jun 11th, '08, 06:13

hey man i used to feel like that too cause i was the only guy out of all my guy friends that was watching dramas. i really didn't care too much about the situation because i enjoyed it and it really is my interest. don't worry too much about seeing only female posts.

xvannie

Post by xvannie » Jun 11th, '08, 06:15

youre definitely not alone! im not a guy but i have male friends who yeah watch dramas [x

Wongo

Post by Wongo » Jun 11th, '08, 11:53

First Class Wota wrote:Here is my confession post haha. I'm a guy but to be honest I love really girly things. For example, I love Drama (Mostly romance lol), I read mainly shoujo manga, and watch alot of shoujo or romance anime. I love female idol groups like Morning Musume, C-ute, Berryz Koubou. Basically if you walked into my room you'd never think a boy lived in that room with all the posters. and the biggest surprise of all!!!! I'm NOT even gay!!! I am a weird person that's for sure...

too long didn't read: I am a guy who watches drama too, and romance ones at that and I cry for most of them. Although, I also love comedies.

btw, I agree with some of the people here, I can't stand american TV it is so bad.

and as for my favorite Dramas... hmmm I'd say Last Friends is up there even though its new and it isn't even over yet @_@. I loved Saito-san and Bara no nai Hanaya was good too. Puzzle is a great show but that is also new.
American T.V has just shifted.........hopefully sitcoms will come back..there are some shows that are just not that well known..but aren't that bad....

For me as a guy...I like how Last Friends had broken out of the typical concepts of a Jdorama....but I still wouldn't consider it one of my favourites......not even for this season......Change probably takes that spot..........it might be becuase I watch Last friends in bits and pieces and not the whole series at once.....(even though it's not done yet) but still...I find it gets through things very slow? Which bores me as a guy.....for some reason....I guess my guy instincts for action...is kicking in.

archive18

Post by archive18 » Jun 11th, '08, 12:31

Wongo love the sig man :salut:

Wongo

Post by Wongo » Jun 11th, '08, 12:39

archive18 wrote:Wongo love the sig man :salut:
Thx....

Though it's a little dissapointing how my Maki obsession has died down a little in the past year.....

archive18

Post by archive18 » Jun 11th, '08, 13:20

Was it from a particule drama that she was in?

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Jun 11th, '08, 13:21

100% Male here

Wongo

Post by Wongo » Jun 11th, '08, 14:54

archive18 wrote:Was it from a particule drama that she was in?
I guess it's becuase I haven't seen much of her...in a few months....only a few CM's here and there.......

Anyways back on topic...if there was one to start with

Blacky

Post by Blacky » Jun 11th, '08, 15:45

I feel much better now, to know i'm not alone !

KeiserSoze

Post by KeiserSoze » Jun 12th, '08, 13:36

Mission completed. He doesn't feel lonely anymore chief! :salut:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

whatever0024

Post by whatever0024 » Jun 12th, '08, 13:46

Another male here.

That's what I thought also, that females outnumbered males.

My favorite drama is Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang.

ainawy

Post by ainawy » Jun 12th, '08, 17:40

that may be the case with soap opera's .. it's kind of weird that a guy would watch that type of television

but when it comes to j+k drama's i don't think that that's an issue

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Jun 12th, '08, 17:49

yay for male drama fans!

its interesting how female-oriented some shows seem to be, but even that is an entertaining aspect of j-drama (i've not so far got into any k-dramas)....

but in spite of being male i've found that there are some pretty-boy idols i find it hard to resist - like yamapi, he's always a lot of fun to watch, and oguri shun - i don't, like, fancy them or nothin' but.... they so cool!

Sano-kun

Post by Sano-kun » Jun 12th, '08, 18:03

I don't see what's the big deal is.

Male here. :)

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Jun 12th, '08, 18:28

/ Guy. Grew up around Japanese Dramas/Movies, so I pretty much enjoy every genre as long as it's, you know, actually good. Go go Last Friends, I hope it ends well.

archive18

Post by archive18 » Jun 12th, '08, 21:35

I think that it has bugger all to do with male or female, everyone has diffrent reasons for watching J-Dramas. I watch it for mainly two reasons:
  • 1. To find out about a completely different culture
    2. The really pretty girls in them :mrgreen:

tmjr2006

Post by tmjr2006 » Jun 12th, '08, 21:51

guy here big drama fan,also anime fan.. :)

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Jun 12th, '08, 22:12

Im a guy. Big drama and variety fan...mostly variety though. I dislike anime except for soul eater...soul eater rocks..

FBPPrelude

Post by FBPPrelude » Jun 12th, '08, 22:57

I'm a guy and I like to watch dramas during my days off/free time. I use to watch Chinese dramas when I was little with my aunt and mom. Lost interest when I got older and started watching anime. Until one day while switching to the internationl/azn channel I saw an episode of Emperor of the Sea. Found it interesting. Started to watch it daily. Then Jumong started playing right after. That's when I got hooked. Started searching online about the drama and managed to find d-addicts. The rest is history. Now I'm a drama addict and I'm not really into anime now. :lol

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » Jun 12th, '08, 22:59

I'm a guy. Love slice of life drama shows.

android_04

Post by android_04 » Jun 12th, '08, 23:28

Otoko desu!
And I got one of my roommates (male) to watch dramas too. Also got my 2 sisters to watch them. Can't get any of my 3 brothers to watch though, they would rather play video games :-(

Theara

Post by Theara » Jun 12th, '08, 23:39

I'm a dude. I'm also new to dramas. I came across this site plenty of times by accident but I do intend on staying this time ;)

Asian dramas are a nice change of pace for me from American TV. I've gotten my sister hooked on dramas as well.

nanikore

Post by nanikore » Jun 13th, '08, 00:19

I'm a female, but I just wanted to say that I think it's really annoying how some guys refuse to watch dramas without even trying one out =.=; so props to all you drama-watching males :thumright:

i know at least 3 of my male cousins watch dramas also. :-)

and asian dramas aren't even all "dramas"... some are comedies and stuff... :P

nalika

Post by nalika » Jun 13th, '08, 00:26

one of my cousin is so addicted to drama, that whenever we meet, we'll talk about dramas

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Jun 13th, '08, 11:55

hey... how many guys out there identify with this:

one of the reasons i like j-dramas is cause loads of them are so shamelessly romantic... in contrast to real relationships and, it seems, most of the real-life women i know!

maybe it's just that my "type" is cool/intellectual/ice maiden, and i should go for softer-hearted women :P

mirech

Post by mirech » Jun 14th, '08, 12:12

in my opinions, lots of guys watch dramas nowadays......but to the level of being 'otaku-chan', is really low though.......they're choosy of what to see

by the way (btw), what story is it that appear on your post up there, nalika?

ReiKen

Post by ReiKen » Jun 17th, '08, 11:31

*Raises hands*I am male and I watch dramas and am not afraid to admit it. :lol

Props for every male here that watches dramas!

TBBle

Post by TBBle » Jun 17th, '08, 13:00

Another male drama watcher. I sort of came to J-drama from anime.

I'm fairly sure the first drama I watched was Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, although Strawberry on the Shortcake was something I was pointed at and had sitting on my pile of things to do for a few years before that.

elfo

Dude watching dorama

Post by elfo » Jun 17th, '08, 13:11

Well, I'm new in this forum, but I can say that I'm a boy that loves to watch dorama

I've started to enjoy this kind of show when I saw GTO Live Action, and then, Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile...and now....Last Friends, Gokusen2, Engine....and much more...

By the way, it's VERY rare someone here in brazil that appreciate dorama...

gmak

Post by gmak » Jul 14th, '08, 07:58

i'm a male and i'm definitely not ashamed of saying that i love jdrama.
perhaps the reason why i like it so much is because it seems "real". many dramas discuss real-life issues and address every aspect of human life and interaction.

what can i say? it's a-w-e-s-o-m-e awesome awesome TOTALLY!!! :P

murillin186

Post by murillin186 » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:13

You're not alone dude. I watch dramas too and I'm a guy. I first started watching k-dramas on a channel called arirangtv, mainly because I really like cute korean actresses. Then my cable company took the channel out of service I was screwed. But then last year, I was given an upgrade on my internet speed and was able to star downloading dramas. I started downloading k-dramas because I'm more familiarized with korean actresses than I am with japanese ones. But then I decided to download a japanese drama called oishii puropozu, mainly because I'm learning japanese and I thought it would be helpful to watch it. And then I found out they have japanese subtitles here, which is even more helpful, so I started to download a drama called last friends, and now I'm downloading around 40(only because it has japanese subtiltes, I don't know if it's a good drama or not). I'm also learning korean, but I still don't know enough to follow long conversations like I do in japanese(more or less). By the way, can anyone please recommend a recent japanese drama? a comedy would be nice. Thanks

Rob Boyd

Post by Rob Boyd » Aug 2nd, '08, 19:00

I'm a guy who watches J&KDramas because: they often tell great stories which include valuable moral lessons, feature outstanding acting, clever direction, and fantasic production. Through this imaginery world, I've become introduced to many different foods, beverages, customs, styles, sounds, words, art, traditions... that I would be completely unaware of had I not fallen down this particular rabbit hole. I've become a more enlightened, deeper thinking, better understanding person and...ah, who am I kidding? :sweat: :scratch: :wink:

Goo Hye Sun, Lee Yoon Ji, Kim Eugene, Han Hyo Joo, Lee Tae Ran, Yoon Eun Hye, Ueto Aya, Hasegawa Kyoko, Yukie Nakama... :whistling:

Surely they didn't put all of those cute, beautiful, and often ravashing actresses on those shows just for the girls to look at!?! :unsure: :w00t: :wub: :roll

getawayfrom

Post by getawayfrom » Aug 2nd, '08, 19:22

I thought dramas are for girls only and boys wouldn't be interested in wasting their time watching this kind of things. Movies are exceptional but dramas?
Well, I'm sure glad we have male who are interested in joining the world of women! BRAVO, boys for being strong!

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Aug 9th, '08, 05:26

My boyfriend absolutely loves J and K Dramas!

It has become "our thing" on the weekend. I watch the ones that I know he will not be interested in (darker, disturbing subjects) during the week and on the weekend we watch the ones that he is interested in (comedies and funny romance)

I don't know a lot of guys that watch Dramas but the ones that do are so cool and special IMO! :D

oracle1

Post by oracle1 » Aug 9th, '08, 06:02

I am a romance addict. LOVE Dramas. I stopped watching American Television about two years ago when they decided to broadcast a show called "Amish in the City"! That was it for me. no more. Then Three months ago I discovered a Korean drama called Goong. It's been downhill ever since. These dramas have reinstated my faith in tv again.

takumisan

Post by takumisan » Aug 9th, '08, 06:16

otoko desu

I just happened to stumble across some jdramas on the tele one day and got hooked. nothing wrong with a guy watching doramas is there?

my fav so far is RAIFU, great drama and directing plus the use of music to set the mood is just brilliant

aigooo

Post by aigooo » Aug 9th, '08, 06:35

wow, surprisingly most male guys here say they like watching jdramas.

wicked hollow

Re: Am I the Only Boy Watching Drama?

Post by wicked hollow » Aug 9th, '08, 07:02

Blacky wrote:I have the impression that only girls are watching drama, each time i look at the gender of D-Addicts member, i can read "Female" !

I feel alone in this girl world !
actually not im a boy watching dramas to

jiewei

Post by jiewei » Aug 15th, '08, 18:23

don worry i'm here with you :cheers: love drama too!!

Youji

Post by Youji » Aug 31st, '08, 21:45

Hey don't worry I 'm a guy and I'm proud to say I love watching dramas.I started watching to improve my Japanese comprehension skill. Then I got hooked.
Now having said that I don't think that as many guy's post as much as the girls.
I myself glance through the forums to see if anything interest me. But I don't post that often.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Aug 31st, '08, 22:40

American dramas, yeah women tend to hang infront of the screen more than guys.

Japanese dorama... Hmmm

Katana+ Cute Girl + Cool Story + Bad Boys = Great Action so why not, need I say more.

jemals1982

canadian guy here, loves Jdoramas!

Post by jemals1982 » Aug 31st, '08, 22:55

Just love them all ;) I've been watching them since i lived in Japan (as an English Teacher), at first i'd watch them on tv to find which ones SEEMED interesting, then i'd come here and dowload them so i could understand what they are saying. Frankly, i've learned a lot of japanese through D-addicts. I would ask my co-workers about repeative sayings in J-doramas, and i could impress my students with a trendy drama saying or action ;) like "NOBUTA POWER, CHU NYU!" They got a kick out of me doing it.. hmm i mean, even YamaP did it, so some guys can do that right? right? RIGHT? haha, actually they got a kick out of it, but thought it was kinda freaky! haha

I really do love Jdoramas, but to be honest ;) i think they guy actors are soooo kawaii! okok, girl ones TOO of course, mochiron! But that might explain why one guy likes Jdoramas, especially anythign with YamaP or Oguri Shun!

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Sep 1st, '08, 00:03

LOL, i agree, i'm a big hairy macho lump but i just can't resist those two!

Cry5tal

Post by Cry5tal » Sep 1st, '08, 00:41

I'm a guy and I've always watched chick flick and dramas. The thing I like about them is that every other movies either have FIght / Explosion / Killing... I don't mind watching these every once in a while but I love slow stuff also it relaxes me a lot.

engchunh

Post by engchunh » Sep 1st, '08, 00:53

I am also er chem...

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Sep 1st, '08, 01:53

My Top 5 Korean Dramas for males:
1Dae Jo Yeong(This is the show that got me hooked)
2. Emperor of the Sea/ Sea God
3. Iljimae
4. Coffee Prince (just a great show)
5. Korean Secret Agency

Top 5 Japanese dramas for males:
1. Pride (hey it is about hockey)
2. Galileo
3. Good Luck
4. Engine
5. I have not watched much Jdrama (trying to get caught up)

Is there any other males out there with some favorites?????

vhh

Post by vhh » Sep 1st, '08, 02:03

Guy here. Been watching j and k dramas for a few years. Watch mostly jdorama though. Also watch a few movies too. American tv doesn't cut it for me anymore. 8)

karennxa

Post by karennxa » Sep 1st, '08, 02:08

i have guy friends that like to watch drama too. it's shocking because i was watching a drama and they just walked in and started watching with me. so i wouldn't say you're alone. maybe it's just not as easy to find guys that watch drama than girls. [:

serebi

Post by serebi » Sep 1st, '08, 02:28

Guy here!

I actually like dramas better than I like anime and has introduced to jdramas by a male friend. He said saying like: "Hey here you go, jdorama". It was S.O.S, I didn't pay much attention to it, then, a guy in my japanese class gave me densha otoko on a dvd. Time passed and eventually got around watching it... all of it on one single night!

Got crazy about Ito Misaki and wanted more; remembered that I had S.O.S laying there and.. now I almost never watch anime because it bores me thanks to the awesomeness of dramas.

I have watched mostly jdramas except for one taiwanese drama, Mars, which was very good!

jemals1982

awesome dramas

Post by jemals1982 » Sep 1st, '08, 03:33

I loved the Gokusen Series -- i've been moved to tears several times, especially near the end of these dramas, they are just FILLED with deep meaning, good life lessons, hot yakuza teacher kicking high schooler's butts! haha, so awesome.

1 Liter of Tears- --- you (guy or gal) will cry you ass off!

I can go on, but there are usually one or two episodes in a drama were it gets soo emotionally explosive, i can't beleive it! But they are also funny, or hillarious, and hot actors and actresses, there is a beginning middle and END, unlick america dramas, you can sit down over a weekend and watch an entire series ;)

Jdoramas rock my world..

on an entire unrelated matter, how do i get a cool picture under my name (to the left of this message box) NOT a "signatre" but i think its an "avatar" I have one i desinged but,... it seems to only accept links for avatars....