differ between flippno and chinese culture-mentality and va

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
joewong

differ between flippno and chinese culture-mentality and va

Post by joewong » Jun 6th, '09, 16:10

what is the difference between flippno and chinese culture. my friend said flippnoes are more relaxed, laid back while chinese culture is more rushed similar to korean in that way. chinese are also more about status , money and always thinking of how to make more money and work hard and save savem money and getting high education and everything is about face.they don't believe in the stock market or investing. its all about what you do, what u drive. they want their kids to make it big so they can brag. i'm just interested in more of flippno culture and other asian culture and how they are similar or differ in values , mentality and ....etc

i now what differ between chinese and western values-white people values , but like to now of other asian

is it true that the east asian culture value more education but the south east asian cutlure(flips, viet, ) values it too,but not as great extent as east asian culture

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 23rd, '09, 07:54

Not sure this is the proper forum for discussing cultural issues... :blink

But in the spirit of perpetuating ethnic stereotypes (haha), here goes:

I'm from the Philippines, and yeah, the words "laid-back," "friendly" (or "sociable") and "hospitable" often crop up when describing Filipinos in general. Family plays a big part in our lives, as do traditional, home-grown values. I don't think Philippine society is as hierarchical and deferential as East Asian societies--hence we don't bow to our seniors or do stuff like that. We place a premium on education, but you're right, not to the extent that we'd be called a "cram-school culture" like other Asian countries.

On the flip side (pun not intended) of Filipino culture, the lack of discipline (personal and corporate) is one trait I'd like to see less of. No wonder our government is plagued with corruption and all that crap. And no wonder people here can't follow basic traffic rules, grrr! :cussing:

As for parents wanting their kids to "make it big so they can brag" about it, well... that trait transcends culture and race, don't you think? :roll

Oh, and "Flip" is a bit racist, in the same way that "g**k" or "Jap" are racist terms, too. (The term FLIP was first used as an acronym for "F**king Little Island People," heh. Hence its racist context.) FYI. :D

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:05

Majority of Filipinos are toooooo laid back if you ask me. The PH is the only country, dominantly Western in culture, located in Asia.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:12

^ Erm, so being "too laid-back" apparently has something to do with our Western acculturation? :D

Cyclopz0rs

Post by Cyclopz0rs » Jul 2nd, '09, 09:36

[quote="Ender's Girl"]I don't think Philippine society is as hierarchical and deferential as East Asian societies--hence we don't bow to our seniors or do stuff like that.

we mano to our elders haha.