9.0 Earthquake and Resulting Tsunami hits Northern Japan

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 14th, '11, 02:59

Tao Libra,

Your problem is not that you are "poverty-stricken". Your problem is a glaring lack of sincerity.

Insulting the intelligence of many people on this board with your libertarian pro-nuke polemic after exhorting everyone to open their wallets for Japan reeks of self-importance.

Try begging for money for Japan without the invective.
Last edited by rootabega on Mar 14th, '11, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Mar 14th, '11, 03:00

The problem with nuke power is the disposal and the tailings of mining is also a problem. Until we have a real safe place to store spent rods, residue and tailings, then nuke power will always be scary. Everybody wants it, but nobody wants to be a nuke dump.
Gas can blow up a house, dams can flood a city, but nuclear waste keeps killing and killing through the years.

As for Tao Libra don't worry about it, as a smoker you are already killing yourself slowly , but surely and wasting good money doing it. BAKA
Last edited by el_canuck on Mar 14th, '11, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 14th, '11, 03:07

Oh, no el-Canuck, don't upset the denial brigade with any irrefutable facts.
You've totally check-mated their arguments with the above post.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Mar 14th, '11, 03:33

rootabega wrote:Try begging for money for Japan without the invective.
"Invective?" Try familiarizing yourself with a word before you make yourself look stupid by misusing it, Sparky.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 14th, '11, 03:47

Come on guys, let's stay focused on Japan's plight and how to best help them (prayer, contributions, etc.) rather than have a pro/con argument about nuclear power... :sweat:

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 14th, '11, 04:00

bmwracer wrote:Come on guys, let's stay focused on Japan's plight and how to best help them (prayer, contributions, etc.) rather than have a pro/con argument about nuclear power... :sweat:
Exactly, any argument, give the CNN crap a rest focus on the help.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 14th, '11, 10:18

Guys, try to donate to redcross if possible :)

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Mar 14th, '11, 14:26

This is getting worser with each passing day!

I always feel dread whenever i switch on the News in the morning, hoping it's not worser.

Hope the best.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Mar 14th, '11, 14:54

I leave for Japan 28 April. I will check for myself. Land in Osaka and stop in Yokohama and get up to Hakodate. Will learn as much as I can.

nuntapak

Post by nuntapak » Mar 14th, '11, 14:57

Hope Japan be better soon

HypnoSurf22

Post by HypnoSurf22 » Mar 14th, '11, 16:16

hello everyone. came across this info on the bbc website. The Japan Association of Translators is requesting volunteers. I guess mainly they need people in country to help all the rescue personel from abroad but maybe there is a way to help virtually. This might be a way for the daddicts community to help in some way other than money donations. Here is the link...

http://jat.org/

dochira

Post by dochira » Mar 14th, '11, 18:12

There was a member named Sylvain who used to post updates about Ainori (Love Wagon) and was from Sendai. Has anyone heard of any news from him?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 14th, '11, 20:48

A surge of bodies came to the shores...
Sad news

Scientific impact

agntz

Post by agntz » Mar 14th, '11, 21:22

so sad for the japanese people
hope we can do something to help them

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 14th, '11, 21:42

I wondered about Sylvain also. He stopped doing the Ainori recaps in 2007. He and his wife decided to stay in Japan and were about to look around to buy a house. I don't know where they would have been settling but I hope it wasn't Sendai. I have no idea how to find his log anymore since it is such a long time ago.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Mar 14th, '11, 23:28

If you don't want to give to the red cross, there is also UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) - it is religious but 100% of the proceeds go towards helping those in Japan.

Website is here:

http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/

It really is sad. People only had 14-20 minutes to get to higher ground, it's crazy. I do hope that they receive lots of help from the world.

NiiKame

Post by NiiKame » Mar 14th, '11, 23:41

The links to the Red Cross are in my signature for now

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 15th, '11, 04:50

I was just watching Barbara Sawyer earlier and her ABC news crew visit some survivors huddled around a fire and they offer Sawyer and her crew what little food they had.

Incredible humanity and selflessness even after such a tragic event.. :salut:

EDIT: A guide to charity giving and ratings here: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... &cpid=1221

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Mar 16th, '11, 04:00

When it rains, it pours...

The volcano in Kyushu erupted. I'm surprised there's not much coverage on it. I guess there wasn't as many fatalities than the tsunami and the possible nuclear melt down.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 16th, '11, 04:59

Way too much coverage of the nuclear plant crisis, which is ironic considering the seriousness of the situation. These talking heads, er I mean news anchors, keep repeating old information and confusing different facts and bulletins. Is there anything more accurate and not so sensational, other than NHK? I live somewhat near a nuclear plant and I could correct the morons on TV on half the inacurate statements they make. :x

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 16th, '11, 05:15

saigo_x wrote:Way too much coverage of the nuclear plant crisis, which is ironic considering the seriousness of the situation. These talking heads, er I mean news anchors, keep repeating old information and confusing different facts and bulletins. Is there anything more accurate and not so sensational, other than NHK? I live somewhat near a nuclear plant and I could correct the morons on TV on half the inacurate statements they make. :x
You said it: the media is really sensationalizing the disaster and creating a lot of unneeded hysteria... :glare:

Some people in SoCal are so freaked out that they're raiding pharmacies for potassium iodide in case of radiation exposure...

Sheesh. :doh:

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Mar 16th, '11, 07:45

saigo_x wrote: Is there anything more accurate and not so sensational, other than NHK? I live somewhat near a nuclear plant and I could correct the morons on TV on half the inacurate statements they make. :x
CNN's coverage is horrible, totally sensationalist. I've been really happy following information on twitter, specifically tweeters on this public list, many of whom translate news conferences as they happen and informative news articles and links to any number of kind of things from how to help and where to track info. Those who live in Tokyo have been sharing anecdotes of what it's like there now and others have been traveling up north and sharing what they've seen. It's all very much real time and too often way ahead of mainstream news. A lot happening via twitter through this, so explore the tags.

I'm not on Facebook, but I understand a similiar kind of thing is happening there, too.

EDIT: Oh, and also occasional humor as Tokyoites live through quakes & aftershocks that just won't stop...
Lol! RT @jamesinjapan: Hopefully it's been cancelled! RT @rich_pav What times next quake scheduled? lost link to webpage. Anyone have it?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 16th, '11, 16:40

toyotaku wrote:CNN's coverage is horrible, totally sensationalist. I've been really happy following information on twitter, specifically tweeters on this public list, many of whom translate news conferences as they happen and informative news articles and links to any number of kind of things from how to help and where to track info.
Fixed the link so it's clickable: http://twitter.com/redjoe/japan-quake-3.
That is actually a really good site. They link to real useful and accurate information instead of wild speculation. I especially like the info on the radiation measurements. If only CNN and the other media could do that good a job. :roll

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Mar 16th, '11, 17:07

The Radiation is the most scary thing at current time !!!

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Mar 16th, '11, 17:32

https://www.japansociety.org/japan_eart ... elief_fund

We are trying to raise money as quickly as we can for Japan relieft. We have chose the Japan society as we know the money will go to Japan, and they are trusted organization here. If you want to give, you can click above. Please feel free to email me if you want more information at brhelpsjapan@yahoo.com. (My personal email is nikowwf@yahoo.com if you want to email there.)

Do you think we could get this on the site somewhere? Or anything else, something urging people to give? I think as much as anywhere this site appreciates the culture of Japan and feels what they are going through.

Like many of you, i have family from there, and family there. They are all ok, and far enough away that we don't have to worry too much. It's a very trying time though and one that has touched many people we know deeply.

Thanks for your time.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Mar 17th, '11, 11:04

I really hope there will be no more danger in Fukushima and in Japan!! It is horrible to see the destruction of the earthquake and the tsunami and now the catastrophe of the nuclear power station :cry: ...
I am against nuclear power stations in the world!

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

yorknell

Post by yorknell » Mar 17th, '11, 11:16

I was very sad hearing this
I almost could not get asleep because of his..
God please help everybody in Japan:(:(
I feel very sad,,,:(:( very scary...

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 17th, '11, 16:14

If you're worried about the nuclear power station this video is quite informative whilst being quite cute as well about what's actually happening. Some of the 'science reporting' and 'expert opinions' are so poor it makes me want to cry. I'm basing this on the fact that I did Physics at university, something the newsreaders clearly didn't do.

Please don't be taken in by sensationalist reporting. Yes the situation is bad but it's no way as bad as some stations (CNN I'm looking at you) make it out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aH2-MhEko

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 17th, '11, 17:59

emma-ba wrote:Some of the 'science reporting' and 'expert opinions' are so poor it makes me want to cry. I'm basing this on the fact that I did Physics at university, something the newsreaders clearly didn't do.

Please don't be taken in by sensationalist reporting. Yes the situation is bad but it's no way as bad as some stations (CNN I'm looking at you) make it out to be.
It's gotten so bad that I've stopped watching US and non-japanese news when they start reporting on the crisis at Fukushima. I've lost count of all the sensasionalist stories they've had to walk back in the last few days. I loved the part where one reporter finally asked the question of how the USNRC had "people in the area" if no one was allowed in, and yet they the major news agencies had been reporting that for hours yesterday. Then we get "experts" from such non-biased sources as Greenpeace (the guy wasn't even a scientist or engineer for crying out loud) and other anti-nuclear "think tanks". :roll And then we got MSNBC bashing nukes but then bringing in "damage control" to protect GE. The producers were scrambling on that one since the anchor kept pressing her earpiece to get direction hehe. :blink Then you got the Surgeon General telling people it's "appropriate" to buy potassium iodide for fscks sake. Who the hell hired such a moron?

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 17th, '11, 18:05

My 'favourite' piece of reporting so far was on CNN. The newsreader was speaking to an expert about the radiation levels. The expert was a genuine expert and he was basically saying "well the levels are fluctuating all the time so it's difficult to say exactly how dangerous it is..." and the newsreader cuts in with "But is anyone going to die?!" Someone please sack that man!

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Mar 17th, '11, 18:20

I totally have stop watching all the US cable news networks, because of "journalism" like that. Jon Stewart on the Daily Show has been note how bad CNN quality been dropping.

For quality reporting on the earthquake, I have been watching BBC, NHK, and Al Jazeera English.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 17th, '11, 19:00

^ I'm with all of you: the U.S. reporting of the nuclear disaster has been very inflammatory and sensationalistic.

It's not the China Syndrome, it's the Chicken Little Syndrome. :(

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 17th, '11, 23:10

I'm assuming none of you watch the UK news then, if anyone is guilty of overdoing it , it's the UK. Not to mention France as had some ridiculous stuff as well, I've seen more crazy on European news that far exceeds the US news.

Seriously though, if you don't like it, don't watch it , and stop complaining. Harping on about it, isn't helping the situation, nor is it going to make it go away.

You guys should watch the White House press conference from yesterday, it's probably the most sensible thing out of the whole situation.

The best place to get the news on this whole event imo are blogs of people who are currently in the area and some independent blogs like Mutantfrog and Hiso.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 17th, '11, 23:52

I watch NHK on Ustream but I've been watching some tv news as well.

I know complaining about it won't make it go away but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it. It's appalling that they can broadcast such coverage and get away with it.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 01:00

You can complain all day, still beating a dead horse ( not meant as a personal attack btw).

The global media entity has far too much power imo, it spans the globe and sadly most of the world is brainwashed by what they see on tv and on popular news sources and just go with the flow rather then looking into issues a bit farther and questioning it, which is why the media has the power it does.

If people were more assertive in finding out more for themselves and holding accountable all these media sources, we wouldn't have this issue.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 18th, '11, 02:57

Archaenon wrote:Seriously though, if you don't like it, don't watch it , and stop complaining. Harping on about it, isn't helping the situation, nor is it going to make it go away.
You can complain all day, still beating a dead horse ( not meant as a personal attack btw).
Those statements may not be personal attacks but they are obviously condescending. There are people who believe a radioactive plume is going to reach the US West Coast tomorrow based on a worst case scenario that was supposed to have occured on Monday but NEVER did. "Harping"? :glare:
Archaenon wrote:You guys should watch the White House press conference from yesterday, it's probably the most sensible thing out of the whole situation.
This statements speaks volumes about your views. Anyone who would use the world "sensible" to describe the farce that is the WH daily briefing has no credibility. :roll
[Edit]Before I get accused of being some hack/sheep for either party I should make it clear that this is true regardless of the current party in power. :roll [/Edit]

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 18th, '11, 03:17

^ I think it's comical that people think this radioactive plume is some kind of missile of something: It's traveled over 5000 miles and being dispersed over some enormous amount of area over the Pacific.

We're probably subjected to more radiation from the radon gas in the soil than what's coming from Japan....

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 03:53

saigo_x wrote:
Archaenon wrote:Seriously though, if you don't like it, don't watch it , and stop complaining. Harping on about it, isn't helping the situation, nor is it going to make it go away.
Those statements may not be personal attacks but they are obviously condescending. There are people who believe a radioactive plume is going to reach the US West Coast tomorrow based on a worst case scenario that was supposed to have occured on Monday but NEVER did. "Harping"? :glare:
Archaenon wrote:You guys should watch the White House press conference from yesterday, it's probably the most sensible thing out of the whole situation.
This statements speaks volumes about your views. Anyone who would use the world "sensible" to describe the farce that is the WH daily briefing has no credibility. :roll
[Edit]Before I get accused of being some hack/sheep for either party I should make it clear that this is true regardless of the current party in power. :roll [/Edit]
Well, obviously you didn't watch it, seeing as how it wasn't a daily briefing. It was a press conference to tell the media to chill out. So your point is moot.

As for the people who think there is a radioactive plume...really? It doesn't pose a omg, were going to die threat, in fact I think their microwave might be killing them faster. So watching the same news that invented to doom plume is kinda silly.

So, no, you don't see where my views are. Also, read it however you want, it's not being condescending , go be dramatic elsewhere.

I just think there are more important issues in the news then going on and on about how crazy the media coverage has been. *shrugs*
Last edited by Archaenon on Mar 18th, '11, 04:07, edited 3 times in total.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 18th, '11, 03:56

bmwracer wrote:^ I think it's comical that people think this radioactive plume is some kind of missile of something: It's traveled over 5000 miles and being dispersed over some enormous amount of area over the Pacific.
Argh! There is NO radiation plume! :cussing: Read what I said above. It's all over the damn place even though it shown to not be true ages ago. It took hours for the news media (TV and print) to figure it out and finally stop reporting that fake story. Even then I guarantee it'll be in some newspapers tomorrow. This is what is driving me crazy. Everywhere I go I keep hearing people talk about this. Do you know how many times I've been asked about potassium iodide? :cussing:

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 18th, '11, 04:08

Archaenon wrote: Well, obviously you didn't watch it, seeing as how it wasn't a daily briefing. It was a press conference to tell the media to chill out. So your point is moot.
Your right and I will admit that I was wrong. You were talking about President Obama's press conference and I was referring to the circus that was the White House daily briefing. Albeit with the caveat that his press conference was damage control for the multiple gaffes by officials in his own administration.
Archaenon wrote:So, no, you don't see where my views are. Also, read it however you want, it's not being condescending , go be dramatic elsewhere.
How you can use a word like "harping" and not believe you were condescending still amazes me. :roll

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 04:10

saigo_x wrote:
Archaenon wrote: Well, obviously you didn't watch it, seeing as how it wasn't a daily briefing. It was a press conference to tell the media to chill out. So your point is moot.
Your right and I will admit that I was wrong. You were talking about President Obama's press conference and I was referring to the circus that was the White House daily briefing. Albeit with the caveat that his press conference was damage control for the multiple gaffes by officials in his own administration.
Archaenon wrote:So, no, you don't see where my views are. Also, read it however you want, it's not being condescending , go be dramatic elsewhere.
How you can use a word like "harping" and not believe you were condescending still amazes me. :roll
Guess your going to have to stay amazed.

curlywurly

Post by curlywurly » Mar 18th, '11, 04:31

At the very least none of you seem to be 'harping' on about which celebrities are ok. Well, there was that one doofus on page 4.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 04:34

curlywurly wrote:At the very least none of you seem to be 'harping' on about which celebrities are ok. Well, there was that one doofus on page 4.
You need to visit last.fm and twitter for that. I think at one point Pokemon's creator was dead...

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 18th, '11, 04:36

curlywurly wrote:At the very least none of you seem to be 'harping' on about which celebrities are ok. Well, there was that one doofus on page 4.
I'm sure you'll love this then: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... fter-quake. :P

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 18th, '11, 08:15

@archaenon you may not mean what you say as personal attacks but you're telling us to stop complaining, stop harping and stop beating a dead horse. You're addressing us directly ie personally. This is an internet forum thread! You can't just pop up and tell people to stop their discussion.

I suggest that if you don't like what you read, find another thread. Harping on about how we should stop complaining isn't going to change anything.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 09:02

Everyone knows that all of the media coverage is terrible, it's kinda like eating a cake you know sucks, while continuing to eat it all the time saying how much it sucks.

It's a free internet, your allowed to say and do as you please, as I'm allowed to tell you to knock it off. Alas, I'm the aggressor here apparently, so I'll behave, so move along.

I just think wasting time talking about what we already know and hate is kinda silly. More effort should be put into posting factual news.

Here are some handy links:
http://community.livejournal.com/aramat ... l#comments ( ignore the poor attempt at trying to crowbar racism into the article)

http://hikosaemon.blogspot.com/ ( fairly up to date on happenings around tokyo atm and all around good blog )

http://www.theage.com.au/world/pupils-s ... 1by6b.html

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 18th, '11, 09:29

If this was a thread aimed at bringing people news, then I apologise for taking up space with my 'bickering'. There wasn't anything in the title about it though or in the opening post so I assumed it was just a general thread on things related to the earthquake.

If you don't want to come across as the aggressor, don't words like 'harping' and bickering'. I resent being adressed as though I were a naughty school child.

On the cake analogy: For me it's more like I ate some terrible cake and I want to discuss with other people how terrible it was. After eating the terrible cake though I moved onto much better cake. I'm still annoyed by the terrible cake though.

You seem to have the impression that we're all watching the news, complaining and yet STILL watching it. In my case and probably others too that's just not true.

And now for something completely different:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-world-tv
http://tinyurl.com/6agvzrx Radiation levels in Saitama (it's very boring)
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?vi ... =566799182
Transcript of the conversation with the Chief Scientific Officer with David Fitton at the British Embassy in Tokyo on 15 March.
Last edited by emma-ba on Mar 18th, '11, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 10:02

The Ustream the JP news outlets have been doing are quite nice. Now to check out the other links.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 18th, '11, 13:30

saigo_x wrote:
bmwracer wrote:^ I think it's comical that people think this radioactive plume is some kind of missile of something: It's traveled over 5000 miles and being dispersed over some enormous amount of area over the Pacific.
Argh! There is NO radiation plume! :cussing: Read what I said above. It's all over the damn place even though it shown to not be true ages ago. It took hours for the news media (TV and print) to figure it out and finally stop reporting that fake story. Even then I guarantee it'll be in some newspapers tomorrow. This is what is driving me crazy. Everywhere I go I keep hearing people talk about this. Do you know how many times I've been asked about potassium iodide? :cussing:
That's why I said it was comical... :sweat:

Jeez, everyone is so freaking testy lately... :pale:

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Mar 18th, '11, 15:06

The News coverage in Germany is terrible! Most of the news have a final over tone; like it's hopeless or such. Crappy News followed by bloated headlines.

The only good sources are NHK and Co.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 18th, '11, 15:33

bmwracer wrote:That's why I said it was comical... :sweat:

Jeez, everyone is so freaking testy lately... :pale:
Sorry but I couldn't help replying like I did. :P The problem is you're giving credence to a non-existent problem. There is no plume, there never was, yet you are downplaying it as if it were real. And just as I predicted yesterday the same story has popped up again in the news today. Now we got some anonymous "diplomat" who probably read the story yesterday claiming he's seen proof of the plume having reached California. Yet has any news organizaton bothered to do any fact checking? We passed "comical" a long time ago. Several news sources were forced to pull/retract the story yesteday but now it's back in the headlines? If this "horse" is dead then it must be of the "living dead" now.:cussing:
emma-ba wrote:If you don't want to come across as the aggressor, don't words like 'harping' and bickering'. I resent being adressed as though I were a naughty school child.
Archaenon wrote:It's a free internet, your allowed to say and do as you please, as I'm allowed to tell you to knock it off. Alas, I'm the aggressor here apparently, so I'll behave, so move along.

I just think wasting time talking about what we already know and hate is kinda silly. More effort should be put into posting factual news.
You're asking too much of her obviously. You ask not to be addressed like a school child but then she calls you "silly". The amazement continues hehe. :roll

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 18th, '11, 15:52

saigo_x wrote:
emma-ba wrote:If you don't want to come across as the aggressor, don't words like 'harping' and bickering'. I resent being adressed as though I were a naughty school child.
Archaenon wrote:It's a free internet, your allowed to say and do as you please, as I'm allowed to tell you to knock it off. Alas, I'm the aggressor here apparently, so I'll behave, so move along.

You're asking too much of her obviously. You ask not to be addressed like a school child but then she calls you "silly". The amazement continues hehe. :roll
Well, you're being a bit unfair there seeing as those quotes were actually posted the other way around...

In other news, a special fire-fighting team is being dispatched from Osaka to help as Fukushima. They have a special system that transport water over a kilometre, (I suppose it's some kind of piping system). They have 25 of these. They're also going to send 181 more people to help in Iwate Prefecture.

Correct my summary of the article if I'm wrong!

http://mainichi.jp/select/jiken/news/20 ... 7000c.html
Last edited by emma-ba on Mar 18th, '11, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » Mar 18th, '11, 17:10

Archaenon wrote:I'm assuming none of you watch the UK news then, if anyone is guilty of overdoing it , it's the UK. Not to mention France as had some ridiculous stuff as well.
France is having elections this and next sunday. So all politicians are trying to use this event to get votes one way or another. It may explain at least some of the crazy things you may have read or seen.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 18th, '11, 23:03

laure_choc wrote:
Archaenon wrote:I'm assuming none of you watch the UK news then, if anyone is guilty of overdoing it , it's the UK. Not to mention France as had some ridiculous stuff as well.
France is having elections this and next sunday. So all politicians are trying to use this event to get votes one way or another. It may explain at least some of the crazy things you may have read or seen.
Ah that does explain the crazy, thanks. I didn't know France was having elections currently.

On other notes:
I've been trying to see if anyone caught that NHK piece they did on the Fukushima50? I don't think you can record from Ustream, I wanted to see it but I was at the office at the time.

In response to the Iwate bit, Hotei ( I don't know how many of you listen to him) has been in Iwate, tweeting about the relief efforts there. It's good stuff if you want to follow him on twitter.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 19th, '11, 00:26

Archaenon wrote: On other notes:
I've been trying to see if anyone caught that NHK piece they did on the Fukushima50? I don't think you can record from Ustream, I wanted to see it but I was at the office at the time.

In response to the Iwate bit, Hotei ( I don't know how many of you listen to him) has been in Iwate, tweeting about the relief efforts there. It's good stuff if you want to follow him on twitter.
I didn't see the nhk thing. I did read some ridiculous opinions on the nuclear plant situation though :P Oh how I chuckled!

The radiation level 90m above the plant has dropped from about 87 millisieverts to 53 millisieverts. Hooray for water power!

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 19th, '11, 01:12

emma-ba wrote:
Archaenon wrote: On other notes:

I didn't see the nhk thing. I did read some ridiculous opinions on the nuclear plant situation though :P Oh how I chuckled!

The radiation level 90m above the plant has dropped from about 87 millisieverts to 53 millisieverts. Hooray for water power!
I'm pretty behind today, I thought they got the power back to at least one of reactors. I guess I was wrong, if they water method they are using is working, I'm hoping they can get the reactors back up and either shutdown or functional soon.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 19th, '11, 02:29

Eastwood, Bullock each donate $1 million to earthquake relief
Saturday 19th March, 03:20 AM JST

LOS ANGELES ― Actor and director Clint Eastwood, 80, will donate a share of the proceeds from DVD and Blu-ray sales of his movie, “Hereafter,” to earthquake relief efforts in Japan. The donation pledged, which is estimated to be around $1 million or 79 million yen, is to be given to the Japanese Red Cross.

“The devastation and loss Japan is facing are almost incomprehensible,” says Eastwood. “I’m glad to join Warner Bros in this effort to help the Japanese people.”

“Hereafter” was pulled from Japanese cinemas on March 14 following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami because it features scenes of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, in which more than 230,000 people lost their lives.

Meanwhile, actress Sandra Bullock has donated $1 million to help victims of Japan’s earthquake and tsunami crisis, the latest celebrity to pledge aid, the American Red Cross said.

Other celebrities who have stepped in include Lady Gaga who raised $250,000 in 48 hours by selling red and white wristbands bearing the message “We Pray for Japan” for $5 a piece via her merchandise website.

Ichiro donates over million to Japan relief efforts
March 18, 2011

Ichiro Suzuki hasn't wanted to speak openly about the devastation in Japan. But any thought that he is ambivalent about what is going on in his native land should end today with the news that he's donated $1.3 million dollars to the Japanese Red Cross to aid efforts in Japan, according to the Kyodo News

The Mariners have also followed suit. They will dedicate the opening six-game homestand to benefiting relief efforts.

The organization will make a donation to the Red Cross matching all donations by Mariners front office employees and Mariners fans and a guaranteed donation of $100,000 through Mariners care.

"The Mariners join with people from around the world in extending our sympathy to the many people affected by the devastating earthquake and tsunami in," said Mairners CEO Howard Lincoln in a statement. "The Mariners have had great support from the Japanese business community and fans all across Japan. Our thoughts and best wishes are with them as they begin the long road to recovery."

Here's some of the things the Mariners will be doing to raise money for relief efforts.

Starting on April 8, the home opener against the A's, and the remainder of the homestand, which ends on April 13, volunteers from the Red Cross will be outside the gates of Safeco Field collecting donations.

There will be a silent auction on Saturday, April 9, to raise money. The organization will auction of memorabilia from Mariners players, all proceeds will go to the Red Cross. The bidding will start when the gates open and end in the sixth inning. The auction will be held in section 128.

Fans that won't be able to attend the games, can still donate to the Red Cross online or on their cell phones. Donations can be directed to Japan earthquake and tsunami relief by following the links at www.redcross.org. Mobile donations can be made by texting RedCross to 90999. A $10 donation will appear on the donor’s cell phone bill.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 19th, '11, 10:00

If I see the phrase "Tokyo is only 150 miles from Fukushima" one more time I'll just have to break down and cry. What do you mean 'only'!

But finally BBC! You're being sensible! Now why not get one of your news readers to read these out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12785274
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12789749

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Mar 19th, '11, 11:47

:-)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 19th, '11, 15:08

Ken Watanabe has launched a website for the earthquake victims: http://kizuna311.com/ :thumright:

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Mar 23rd, '11, 10:38

It's good to see the donations coming.

Japan will need them badly!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 23rd, '11, 13:26

BMW has donated 1M Euros (1.4M USD) for Japan relief. :thumright:

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Mar 23rd, '11, 17:15

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 25th, '11, 19:12

Stefani donates to help Japan

No Doubt singer and songwriter Gwen Stefani is donating $1 million to Save the Children's Japan Earthquake-Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund to assist with the relief and recovery efforts following the recent disaster.

Stefani has been a devotee of Japanese culture and people since the band first toured the country in 1996 and has held a special affinity for the Harajuku art-fashion-music district in Tokyo. She wrote and recorded the song "Harajuku Girls" for her 2004 debut solo album, "Love.Angel.Music.Baby," and named her fashion clothing and fragrance line Harajuku Lovers.

Additionally, she's launching a charity auction next week on the band's website, where fans can bid to join her at a fundraising event in Los Angeles. She also has designed a limited-edition Harajuku Lovers T-shirt to be sold at NoDoubt.com, with 100% of proceeds going to the Japanese relief efforts.

Derrick Rose Japan Donation: Giving $1,000 For Every Point Scored Friday To Earthquake And Tsunami Relief

Derrick Rose has led his team to a performance few could have predicted this season. His Chicago Bulls are in first place by a game in the Eastern Conference, and he's played himself into serious contention for the league's MVP award.

He's also taking the lead in one of the league's charitable efforts: for Friday night's match-up with the Memphis Grizzlies, the superstar will donate $1,000 for every point he scores to Direct Relief International, a group that helps provide medical care for those affected by the disaster in Japan.

Rose, who averages 24.9 points per game, isn't the only NBA star getting in on the charity action: the Lakers' Pau Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge of the Trail Blazers, Russell Westbrook of Oklahoma City, and many other big-time scorers have also agreed to chip in $1,000 per point, according to a Chicago Tribune report.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 28th, '11, 16:29

Lady Gaga Donates $1.5 Million to Zynga's Fundraising Campaign For Japan
Brenna Ehrlich Mon Mar 28, 7:56 am ET

Lady Gaga is apparently on top of it when it comes to donating money to those affected by the March 11 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Today, it was announced that the pop star donated $1.5 million to Zynga’s fundraising initiative with Save the Children, as well as to the American Red Cross.

Gaga raised these funds via sales of her Japan Prayer Bracelets. “I’m inspired that my little monsters banded together to help those affected by the terrible tragedy,” she said in a release.

Last week, the singer also participated in a benefit album called Songs for Japan, which also features popular tunes in original, remastered, live or acoustic formats from Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Justin Bieber, Eminem, Katy Perry and more. Worldwide proceeds from album downloads will go to the Japanese Red Cross Society.

Zynga, for its part, donated more than $2.5 million in the last two weeks for Save the Children’s Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund via its social games (Café World, CityVille, FrontierVille, FarmVille, Words With Friends, Vampire Wars, YoVille and Zynga Poker). Players donated 100% of the purchase price of virtual goods to the relief effort.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 28th, '11, 16:38

seen this?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 28th, '11, 17:42

furransu wrote:seen this?
Wow, that was freaky. I hadn't seen that one yet. One of the few "good" things that came from this disaster is a better understanding of tsunami. Most people still think of a tsunami as something like a "huge" wave from some surfing highlights video.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 1st, '11, 03:28

really...what I mentioned before about the possibility of radiation and black rain wasn't paranoia.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_05.html

Radiation detected in beef, vegetables

Radiation exceeding safety standards has been detected in beef from Fukushima and vegetables from Ibaraki, Tochigi and Chiba prefectures.

The health ministry says it detected 510 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium, above than the national limit of 500, in round beef from a cow raised in a village in Fukushima prefecture on Wednesday. The beef has not been shipped.

In Hitachi city, Ibaraki prefecture, 8,300 becquerels, or 4 times above the accepted limit, of radioactive iodine was detected in spinach. Spinach and parsley from other parts of Ibaraki were also found to be contaminated with higher-than-acceptable levels of radiation.

Spinach, shungiku, or garland chrysanthemum, and parsley with radiation exceeding acceptable levels were found in Chiba prefecture.

High levels of radiation were also detected in spinach in Tochigi prefecture.

The ministry says these vegetables are not on the market, as producers have not shipped them, either voluntarily or in line with the government's instructions.

Friday, April 01, 2011 05:09 +0900 (JST)
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_03.html

Researcher explains how radiation reaches Tokyo

A Japanese researcher explained to NHK how radioactive substances that leaked from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant have spread and reached Tokyo and other parts of the Kanto region.

Hiromi Yamazawa, a Professor at Nagoya University graduate school, says that high levels of radiation have reached Kanto at least twice since the nuclear plant accident.

He says the first incidence occurred from March 15th through the 16th. Contaminated air spread widely in Kanto.

The second occurred from the 20th through the 21st.

Contaminated air went south along the coast, and reached Chiba and Tokyo.

The air was then blown northwest to the inland prefecture of Gunma.

Yamazawa says the rain in a broad area of Kanto in the surrounding days deposited radioactive substances in rivers and contaminated water in purification plants in the region.

Yamazawa warns that radiation could more easily flow into Kanto from now to the early summer, due to winds blowing south from Fukushima during these seasons.

Friday, April 01, 2011 05:09 +0900 (JST)
The Japanese govt isn't increasing their evacuation zone either...although they've been recommended by others to do it (US and IAEA)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Apr 1st, '11, 08:18

The damage of the nuclear power plant is a serious issue.
But most of the informations in the media about level of radition are misinterpreted. it is difficult to take corrrect dose equivalent radiation values in sievert. Also is hard to explain, that normal and low level radiation is no directly unhealth. It inrease the risc for future cancer ilness (like cigarettes or alcohol).
High dose in short time are more a problem and have some direct health effects. I dont mean the observer in the evacuation zone out side the plant.

So there is no need to hurry with the evacuation zone. The order have enough work to do with the by tsunami damaged areas, which is in the moment higher prior.

Fascinating are the media news about the worldwide detections of rare isotop from fukushima. This information came from high performance metering point. The amount is realy tiny, but media making headlines.

In my point of view TEPCO is the problem. This company does not work competent.

Legal limits of radiaton level in food (bequerel per kg) are important for long term. The health limit are something else. But it is also import what element is the source for this radiaton. http://www.yoctomy.com/brain-age-doctor ... ilk-japan/

@seirin: The possibility of additional radiation is given, but some of the scenarios made up by the media are unreal. There will be no plume going to california and the people has to be evacuate. nobody have to die in tokyo after drinking or eating current food and water.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 1st, '11, 08:31

Plus, there is absolutely no possibility of the "black rain". Radioactive, yes, but not black. Simple speaking, it happens only when things are burned due to the explosion and the ashes go up to mix up with the humidity (clouds). Then the water (rain) is mixed with the particles of ashes. This happened in Hiroshima, but here is impossible.

Reuters:
Radiation 4,000 times the legal limit has been detected in seawater near the plant as contaminated water used to try and cool down reactor rods leaks or spills into the ocean, and high levels of radiation outside a 20 km (12 mile) exclusion zone has put pressure on Japan to widen the no-man's land.

More than 172,400 people were still living in shelters around northeast Japan. Many devastated areas looked like a rubbish-strewn junkyard, with cars lodged in the side of toppled buildings and boats still high and dry on roads.

More than 70,000 have been evacuated from the exclusion ring and another 136,000 who live in a 10-km (6-mile) zone beyond that have been encouraged to leave or to stay indoors.

Despite his positive message, Edano said the evacuation of people from near the damaged Fukushima Daiichi complex, 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, would be a "long-term" operation.

Nuclear experts say it could take years, possibly decades to make the area around the plants safe.

With thousands still missing and many areas off-limits to rescuers due to the high levels of radiation, Japanese and U.S. forces will soon begin a joint search for bodies.
Reuters News. Accesed 2011-04-01

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Apr 1st, '11, 08:33

I agree with k361.

I think the media is not giving enough explanation about the different units being used to measure radiation. I have to keep explaining to my mother about the difference between sieverts and becquerels and how you can't just convert between the two.

I found this acticle which talks about how 'safe radiation' levels should be reconsidered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12860842

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Apr 1st, '11, 09:02

I explained the different between bequerel and sievert with gunfire/bombs/aciddrops in a war situation to a kid.

Bequerel: number of shot action per second (per meter frontline or squaremeter).
Sievert: damage for human body (depends on munition, distance, place of hit)

The kid talked about healthpoints, but i am no gamer.

some shots can be real dangerous (if you inhaled some radioactive isotop and they split repeatly in a small area inside the body - like killing tumor cells in medicin), but most shots dont reach us.

It is a great difference of touching radioctive materials and inhaling/eating.
The health risc of gamma rays are difficult to explain.

The local situation is not safe in long term. The worst case would be a broken containment and a fire inside.
Under current condition it will take years to normal. Longer then the oil rigg accident in gulf of mexiko.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Apr 1st, '11, 18:03

seirin wrote:really...what I mentioned before about the possibility of radiation and black rain wasn't paranoia.
Radiation detected in beef, vegetables
Researcher explains how radiation reaches Tokyo
The Japanese govt isn't increasing their evacuation zone either...although they've been recommended by others to do it (US and IAEA)
Hmm, where to start. No black rain...just go look it up or something. A simple Google search of radiation in food particularly vegetables and nuts should be of interest to you. I'm sure you'll run across other useful tidbits such as naturally occuring radiation in common everyday items ( I just saw one today that mentioned granite and cat litter hehe). There was an article that made the rounds a few years back about areas with higher radiation exposure than nuclear power plants (mines, quarries, etc). Oh, and I hope you aren't a smoker. :P
A number of blogs have been tracking both official and non-official readings of radiation levels since the crisis at the Fukushima plant. Compare the data with what was being said on the "mainstream" news media at the time and you'll develop a bit of cynicism like many of us.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Apr 1st, '11, 18:14

Here's a follow-up to the radioactive beef story
Fukushima beef cleared of radioactive cesium

Beef from a village in Fukushima Prefecture that had tested positive for excessive radioactive cesium has been cleared of contamination in a second test.

Japan's health ministry says Friday's new round of testing did not detect any trace of cesium in meat from the same cattle.

The ministry had said on Thursday that the beef contained 510 becquerels of cesium per kilogram, surpassing the safe limit of 500.

The finding was unexpected, as the radioactive substance had not turned up in any other cattle from the prefecture. The health ministry says it will check to see if there were any flaws in the initial test carried out by a state-contracted lab.

Friday, April 01, 2011 21:27 +0900 (JST)
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_43.html
And a bit about possible detected radiation level errors
Program errors force TEPCO to review all data

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it will review all data on radiation leaked from the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, citing errors in a computer program.

The utility says it found errors in the program used to analyze radioactive elements and their levels, after some experts noted that radiation levels of leaked water inside the plant were too high.

The company and the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency say previously released data may have shown the levels of tellurium-129 and molybdenum-99 to be higher than they really were.

But they say that levels of iodine-131, which has a significant impact on humans and the environment, remain unchanged.

Tokyo Electric releases data on radioactivity inside the plant compound and in nearby seawater and soil.
The radioactive substances are believed to be coming from damaged nuclear fuel rods.

The data is crucial for identifying the source of radioactive leaks and assessing their impact on the environment.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has told the company to find out why the errors occurred and to take steps to prevent a recurrence.

Friday, April 01, 2011 15:39 +0900 (JST)
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/01_28.html

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 3rd, '11, 05:07

k361 wrote: In my point of view TEPCO is the problem. This company does not work competent.
That I agree on. I'm surprised the govt hasn't taken put TEPCO on trial for breaking the law as well. The law requires every staff at the nuclear plant to carry a radiation reader but TEPCO only gave it to a few people claiming their units were damaged. If the story wasn't uncovered, they wouldn't do anything about it either. After news reported on them, they said they would be ordering more and transporting the existing ones from the other plants to this one. After the fact....
k361 wrote: @seirin: The possibility of additional radiation is given, but some of the scenarios made up by the media are unreal. There will be no plume going to california and the people has to be evacuate. nobody have to die in tokyo after drinking or eating current food and water.
I agree people in CA don't need to be afraid. Japan is very far away. Even if things were to get bad, Hawaii would get it first. BC found small amounts of radiation in their water as well, but too tiny to cause worry so I don't know why CA is freaking out.

About the food and water in Tokyo that people don't need to worry about...I ask you this. Would you eat and drink contaminated radioactive food if you lived in Tokyo? You may not die immediately, but expect to get cancer.