FOR THE PEOPLE OF JAPAN, ALL D-ADDICTS UNITE AS ONE!!!

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
gmak

FOR THE PEOPLE OF JAPAN, ALL D-ADDICTS UNITE AS ONE!!!

Post by gmak » Mar 12th, '11, 11:59

hi everyone,

i'm sure all of you have heard the news of japan, and like myself, have been heavily impacted by the turn of recent events. i don't know all of the answers to how these issues will be resolved, nor do i have an inkling of what these people are experiencing now in japan, but i do know this:

as d-addicts, and more importantly as fans of japan, it's people, and wonderful culture, i say to you all, let's unite!! i can't continue to just sit, watch, and read about how many people are dying, or the fact that nuclear waste is leaking into the atmosphere.

however, to put things into perspective, i'm just a college student attending a university in hawaii. yes, like many of you, i'm just one person. without much money or life experience, but these recent events have truly opened my eyes and are tugging at my soul. i don't know how we as a d-addicts community can help these people in japan, but please, i beg of you, lets put our heads together and try to think of something!!

who's with me? :salut:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Mar 14th, '11, 07:53

It's a good idea. I am not sure what can be done as a group. Perhaps an auction of some sort?

Considering all that Japan has given us, it would be nice to give back.

bluesilo

Post by bluesilo » Mar 16th, '11, 01:33

Well. How about D-Addict sets up a collection fund to donate to Red Cross (for example)? Then the collection will be a collective effort from the community.

Just throwing it out there.

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Mar 16th, '11, 21:24

Unlike Haiti or Waziristan, Japan has a fully functioning economy.
So, instead of donations, I think the best way to support Japan right now is by buying Japanese-made products and/or services, anyone planning to go Japan should not cancel their trip and most importantly fight the scandalous and apocalyptical coverage of Western press by spreading actual facts around you.

aldricho

Post by aldricho » Mar 16th, '11, 23:00

i'm with you on this, i live here in the Philippines and I love japanese culture soo much, i work for a large network at our country and we've donated goods for the relief effort to be sent to japan.

it would be nice if the real moderators of d-addicts participated, how about we donate a dollar on how much people seed for downloads? or if its not money related lets setup some sort of thread containing our thoughts and prayers for the people of japan..i'm sure d-addicts is also active in japan ^^

snorky2k

experience cleaning up toxic industrial messes. Volunteer?

Post by snorky2k » Mar 17th, '11, 00:02

I have experience identifying toxic industrial disasters and cleaning them up. I have also worked in a factory where lost pieces of radium and uranium were found stored in 55 gal drums. Part of my master's degree included industrial toxicology grad coursework. I have identified dangers that many people would not realize until after fatal exposure.

I would be willing to go be part of a team to prevent people from accidentally being exposed to hazardous material or dealing with the material once identified. Who knows what was moved where in the tsunamis. However, I would have to quit my job to do it. So, I would need to do it on a paid basis. My guess is that there is probably more of a demand than there are people with my background even in Japan. If you know of a job opening requiring someone with my skills, please reply here and let me know.

I only speak limited Japanese that I have learned here by watching subtitled excellent shows. I would need to be paired with someone who reads and speaks Japanese fluently. I can also provide internet support.

I hope that this is not viewed as spam.

gmak

Post by gmak » Mar 17th, '11, 01:11

thank you so much everyone! i truly appreciate everyone responding to this thread.

i agree that although we may not be able to set up a large scale donation project, that we continue to support the d-addicts in japan, and worldwide!

a few of my friends from hawaii have recently set up a t-shirt company. they are selling special t-shirts for japan for $20.00, $10.00 of which, will go directly to helping japan. please support this cause, and if you have a twitter, please RT the following link!

http://www.weareontheryze.com/products/ ... agesize=40

also, i hope this thread continues to grow with the prayers of d-addicts worldwide!

and to the valiant volunteers and heroes in japan who are risking their lives to control the reactors, we are praying for your safe return to your families. please take care of yourselves, and good luck!! gambare :salut: :salut: :salut: !!!!!

roronoa

Post by roronoa » Mar 17th, '11, 01:58

Tadanga wrote:Unlike Haiti or Waziristan, Japan has a fully functioning economy.
So, instead of donations, I think the best way to support Japan right now is by buying Japanese-made products and/or services, anyone planning to go Japan should not cancel their trip and most importantly fight the scandalous and apocalyptical coverage of Western press by spreading actual facts around you.
A pretty good and practical idea. It'll help in the long run, while donation to NGOs helps quickly. rebuphilanthroilding the devastated areas will take Japanese a long time. suppoorting their economy is the least people of the world can do to repay Japan its philanthropy offered to many developing countries., as the whole world is one family.

kichigaisensei

Post by kichigaisensei » Mar 17th, '11, 02:45

My wife is Japanese. Thankfully none of her family members are in the danger zone right now. The Japanese people need help...and they need it now. Thousands are dead and millions are homeless, hungry, and cold...many children among them. Some are missing family members.

Please, please...donate to the American Red Cross ASAP. Any amount you can spare will help. You can earmark your gift for the Japanese relief effort. We aleady sent $500.

The US media is not reporting the extent of the human misery. We're seeing it 24/7 on Dish Network's TV Japan channel.