inability to ask a question

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Tuesdaynight

inability to ask a question

Post by Tuesdaynight » Mar 30th, '11, 20:17

I've read through the rules and asked two polite, genuine questions over the past day or two and I've had each post deleted. Not even a courtesy response explaining the offense.

While they were very much unintentional, I'd certainly be willing to own up to the offenses. I'd be even more pleased to correct them if, as I'd asked, the correction was clarified.

Sadly, since they're deleted I have no evidence of this, and I'm sure I won't be taken at my word.

So, while d-addicts has the guise of a forum, it's appears to also be a place for moderators to get their power trip.

I'm sure this post will be deleted as well, and a bitter mod will get his jollies, but I had to say my piece b/c I don't think it's right to treat someone that way.

I'm definitely disappointed b/c, like anyone, I was just looking for some information.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Mar 30th, '11, 20:52

What were your questions?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 30th, '11, 21:04

And how come you could post any question
over the past day or two
when you joined today?
What were the questions?

Tuesdaynight

Post by Tuesdaynight » Mar 30th, '11, 21:29

The first question, I realized my error, which was embarrassing, but not malicious.

The second question was asking how to avoid the same mistake. It had to do with the sensitive subject of subtitles, but I was simply hoping for some clarifications.

In short, a subber had asked "let me know if you'd like me to continue making these" (paraphrasing). There didn't seem to be anything in the rules about responding to that type of question, so I wanted to know if there was any way to reply "yes" without violating the rules. (Not asking about a date, not requesting something, just replying to that question.)

I get the sense that there's a zero tolerance policy on this topic, and I get the feeling at this point that the answer is "Just don't. Ever."

So, if the answer really is "just don't", then that's that. But if there's an acceptable way to express interest, then even better.

Oh, regarding the 'past day or two' - it's been a full night for me since my first post. I posted last night (yesterday) and then earlier today. I guess I didn't think about it being less than 24 hrs.

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » Mar 30th, '11, 21:34

A way to respond to such subber is to message him/her personally by clicking the PM button. That's simple.

Tuesdaynight

Post by Tuesdaynight » Mar 30th, '11, 21:53

Ah, ok, I wondered about that.

I will say that seems somewhat strange to me since a PM seems much more like "pestering" than posting in the subtitle forum. And harder to moderate.

All the same, I'm happy to send the subber a PM with my vote.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Mar 31st, '11, 02:50

Tuesdaynight wrote: In short, a subber had asked "let me know if you'd like me to continue making these" (paraphrasing). There didn't seem to be anything in the rules about responding to that type of question, so I wanted to know if there was any way to reply "yes" without violating the rules. (Not asking about a date, not requesting something, just replying to that question.)
Saying thank you is pretty much a nod in the "yes I want more please" direction.

sophliet

Post by sophliet » Apr 9th, '11, 06:44

I am sorry if i misunderstood the situation but are you saying that you said yes to the question that the subber posted which was basically to ask whether he/she should keep subbing?

and your post was deleted?

am i getting this right or did i completely miss the point?