Kang Ji Hwan

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
fizzlex3mh

Kang Ji Hwan

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jan 28th, '08, 19:22

I love this guy! Why is he not popular? (He didn't even have a soompi thread until 2 weeks ago!) Well, I'm glad he's getting some recognition now from starring in the currently-airing trendy drama Hong Gil Dong. He's so cute in a dorky kind of way, not to mention a great actor. I'm watching Hong Gil Dong right now and I would just like to say: I am SO glad Joo Ji Hoon dropped out.

Name: 강지환 / Kang Ji Hwan
Profession: Actor
Birthdate: 1977-Mar-20
Height: 184cm
Weight: 73kg
Blood type: B

TV Series
Hong Gil Dong (KBS2, 2007)
Capital Scandal (KBS2, 2007)
90 Days, Falling in Love Days (MBC, 2006)
Fireworks (MBC, 2006)
Be Strong Geum Soon (MBC, 2005)
Save the Last Dance for Me (SBS, 2004)
More Beautiful Than a Flower (KBS2, 2004)
Nonstop 4 (MBC, 2003)
Summer Scent (KBS2, 2003)

Movies
Host and Guest (2005)

Credit: soompi

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 28th, '08, 22:29

I love this guy! Why is he not popular? (He didn't even have a soompi thread until 2 weeks ago!)
Kang Ji Hwan became really, really popular after the daily drama Be Strong Geum Soon. From what I've read, that show was a big hit for MBC, and it helped launch Lee Min Ki's acting career as well as showcase Han Hye Jin as a lead actress. KJH is kind of the Korean Hugh Jackman -- he started out as a popular actor in musical theatre, doing runs in Grease and other musicals. As a result, his acting style is unique -- it's a very big, representative style (he would kill playing a prince in a straight forward sageuk), nothing like the naturalistic "talking head" stuff that TV actors do.

The acting in fusion dramas often isn't that good, because actors must still be believable a given scene even if the scene itself consciously winks at the viewer. Kang Ji Hwan is one of the great exceptions to this rule, because he has that theatre background. He can ad-lib like a stage comedian; he can handle breakneck shifts in tone and content without breaking character; he can of course sing and dance and, specifically, he knows how to interact with the physical space around him. But, for me, one of my favorite things about him is that he can convey truly volcanic anger and yet make it very moving and touching. Only other actor I know in his age group that does the same trick as well is Jang Hyuk.

If there's one flaw I find with Kang Ji Hwan's work, it's that there's not just many actresses whose charisma can go toe-to-toe with him (Han Hye Jin is one such actress, though she dialed it down to play Susuno in Jumong), and so he tends to hog the spotlight. Essentially, when you watch dramas with him -- even the fusion stuff like Capital Scandal (KJH is LOVE in that one) and Hong Gil Dong -- you're kinda watching a typical Cinderella character opposite The Most Interesting Man in the World. I mean, can you imagine The Most Interesting Man in the World falling in love with just anybody, even if anybody has had double-eyed lid surgery, new nose, circle contacts, and is an ullzang model? No!

In any case, fans of Hong Gil Dong may want to check out KJH's previous drama Capital Scandal, which BTW was based on a novel written by the author of Coffee Prince. And if you're lucky enough to find Be Strong Geum Soon in English . . . well, you suck! :D

mjf

Post by mjf » Jan 28th, '08, 22:46

Yes, I wonder why he wasn't as popular as some other guy. I think he's a really good actor especially in a strange funny way he is kind of different compare to a lot of other actor. He has a handsome smile, a witty charm.

I am glad that he act Hong gil Dong instead of the other guy. That guy is really stiff.

angelmkawsh

Post by angelmkawsh » Jan 29th, '08, 01:18

^ that's very interesting belleza, i definitely agree
hmm.. i wonder then, which actress would u all like to see him work w/?

i absolutely love him
and i just learned about him 2 weeks ago..
now i've watched BOTH "capital scandal" and "fireworks" b/c of him..
he deserves all the acknowledgement and more
amazing actor~~~~~

btw, i think his birthday is wrong on the 1st post
it's also wrong on his drama-wiki page too..
he was born in 1979 i believe, not 1977..
(can someone change the drama-wiki page please?)
which makes him 2 years younger!
horray :]

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 29th, '08, 07:39

He deserve to be one of the best actor after all the dramas he do it & he showed a great ability & skill in acting.. I first watched him in captial scandal & I was really impressed & now Hong Gil Dong making me loving this drama with his great acting in the role of HGD.. :-)

zangly

Post by zangly » Feb 24th, '08, 03:54

KYAAAAA. i'm obsessed with hugh jackman!! no wonder i fell for kang jihwan too! :D

jinkzzmec

Re: Kang Ji Hwan

Post by jinkzzmec » Feb 24th, '08, 11:28

fizzlex3mh wrote:I love this guy! Why is he not popular? (He didn't even have a soompi thread until 2 weeks ago!) Well, I'm glad he's getting some recognition now from starring in the currently-airing trendy drama Hong Gil Dong. He's so cute in a dorky kind of way, not to mention a great actor.
Actually his soompi thread has been in existence since 2005 and was updated 2 weeks prior to the time you checked probably ...but has not been active for some time until recently with the showing of HGD...now the thread is starting to pick up and hopefully will continue to be active from now on.

He has a huge fan base in Korean...his daum cafe has just reached a milestone of 50,000 members the other day and is continuing to grow very fast...as of my last check ( which was early morning yesterday) the members has reached 50,100 already. He also has a huge fan base in japan ( because of Be Striong Geum Soon) and has held his first japan fan meet last year...with the showing of his 2 other dramas namely fireworks and 90 days, his fan base in japan is expected to grow more...We're all hoping that HGD will make him a bigger star and expand his fan base not only in Asia but worldwide as well...it might seem like a dream now but who knows it might become a reality one day soon.

let us continue to support him in all of his projects.

here's his updated bio

Kang JiHwan

Birth Date: Mar 20,1977

Profession: Actor
Height: 184cm
Weight: 73kg
Blood Type: B
Hobbies: Watch Movie, Body Building
Speciality: Kendo, Design

TV Dramas:

2008 KBS Hong gil dong
2007 KBS Capital Scandal
2006 MBC 90 Days,Time for Love
2006 MBC Fireworks
2005 MBC Be Strong Geum Soon
2004 SBS Save the Last Dance for Me
2004 More Beautiful than a Flower (cameo)
2004 Youth! Fly to the Sky
2003 MBC Non Stop 4
2003 KBS Summer Scent

Movie:

2005 Host&Guest

Musicals:
2004 Grease
2002 Rocky Horror

CFs:
2005 Lotte Chocolate
2005 Crown Bakery
2005 002sky Telecom
2004 ACE Cookie
2004 LG Telecom
2004 SK Telecom

Awards
2005 MBC Drama Awards Best Newcomer award & Excellent Actor award - for BSGS
2007 KBS Drama Awards Excellent Actor award & Best Couple ( with Han Ji Min) -for CS
angelmkawsh wrote:^
btw, i think his birthday is wrong on the 1st post
it's also wrong on his drama-wiki page too..
he was born in 1979 i believe, not 1977..
(can someone change the drama-wiki page please?)
which makes him 2 years younger!
horray :]
actually he was born in 1977, his previous management company has made a blunder with his birth year and that was clarified when he moved to his current management company...So, he is turning 31 on March 2008.

simplyxmee

Post by simplyxmee » Mar 11th, '08, 19:46

This man deserves more recognition!! in my opinion, he's one of the best actors in the korean movie industry right now. i love his charisma!

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Mar 19th, '08, 05:23

OMG!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: .. i luv this guy :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ...how come i didn't think n recognized him before this???...he's good actors actually, i like him. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: in Hong Gil Dong!!!!..he's so Charming n the charisma made me crazy...ehehehe.... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

lovewonder

Kang Ji Hwan is superb!!!

Post by lovewonder » Mar 25th, '08, 02:00

Yes I LOVE this actor too! I watched him first in Capital Scandal, and then got so impressed with him that I started to watch Fireworks and Be Strong Geum Soon. Will watch Hong Gil Dong soon.

Too bad his Daum Cafe is all in Korean. Would love to join as member but can't understand a thing. Why doesn't he have an official website in English?

ctfazra

Re: Kang Ji Hwan

Post by ctfazra » Mar 25th, '08, 13:54

fizzlex3mh wrote:I would just like to say: I am SO glad Joo Ji Hoon dropped out.
no offense to d guy of diz thread but i jz wonder why JJH dropped out..plz tell me why.. :-( :-( :cry: :cry: :cry:

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 25th, '08, 22:43

Here's a blog entry that takes about it: http://popseoul.com/2007/08/23/joo-ji-h ... #more-4922

Basically, the production company and JJH were having disagreements (which also led to Jo Hyun Jae declining the role of Chang Hui).

rann

Post by rann » Mar 26th, '08, 19:54

it's nice to see other people who like this guy ^_^ ! I first saw him with hong gil dong and I must say i'm happy that he got the role ^_^ ! I really like his acting <3 thx for sharing the photos X3

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 26th, '08, 23:11

Basically, the production company and JJH were having disagreements (which also led to Jo Hyun Jae declining the role of Chang Hui).
Just want to add that Popseoul is not a good place for pop journalism (fun site but about as fair and balanced as Fox News), and so it's difficult to surmise why he really left the project at the last minute. Jo Hyun Jae, who was the lead in Ballad of Suh Dong for gawd's sake!!, is a bigger star than JJH. In fact, Kang Ji Hwan is a much, much bigger star than JJH too. I was disappointed because this was the 2nd JJH/SY project (they were going to do Spring Waltz originally) that didn't happen due to JJH bailing at the last minute.

Sageuks are incredibly demanding, and fusion projects are even moreso. For example, Damo took almost a year before it aired. HGD had extensive wirework and was in production for about 3 months before it aired. I could see where JJH looked at the demands and raised the money to a point where the producers could no longer realistically afford his asking price. I posted this over at dramabeans:

"Honestly, I think KJH saved the Hong Gil Dong project. Because of the casting changes that occurred at the last minute, the production needed a true senior actor to provide creative and colloborative leadership among the principal leads, who might have gone into the project expecting it to be highly troubled.

Because of KJH’s theatre background, he was able to do provide input and support with physical choreography, ad-libbing of scenes, mentor Jang Suk who was a last minute casting change, and just help translate what the directors wants to the other actors. And, from what I read, KJH made the high stress work environment a lot of fun.

That’s how I’m reading the Hong Sisters comments. Had KJH not taken this project, they might have gotten another terrific lead, but it’s very rare to find an actor who can look at a fusion drama and go “yeah, this is familiar territory for me.” "

simplyxmee

Re: Kang Ji Hwan is superb!!!

Post by simplyxmee » Mar 27th, '08, 02:46

lovewonder wrote:Yes I LOVE this actor too! I watched him first in Capital Scandal, and then got so impressed with him that I started to watch Fireworks and Be Strong Geum Soon. Will watch Hong Gil Dong soon.

Too bad his Daum Cafe is all in Korean. Would love to join as member but can't understand a thing. Why doesn't he have an official website in English?
http://jihwansarang.cjb.net/ <----------English website :D

you should definitely watch HGD, i think its one of his best performances

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 28th, '08, 12:26

belleza wrote:
Just want to add that Popseoul is not a good place for pop journalism (fun site but about as fair and balanced as Fox News),
I second that comment. Popseoul is the place that claimed Korea is "The Land of the Rising Sun" LOL. But to be fair, the site is built around sensationalist journalism and although it's very entertaining, it's also highly inaccurate and full of misinformation.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Mar 28th, '08, 12:52

Kang Ji Hwan totally robbed me of my soul in Capital Scandal <3 He was absolutely amazing; it's hard to find an actor these days who has so much on-screen charisma that you find it difficult to even tear your eyes from his face, let alone notice who he's acting opposite (though his chemistry with Han Ji Min was wonderful).

He has excellent comedic timing, but what impressed me most was his emotional scenes. He doesn't have to say a single word to create the atmosphere; his eyes are so incredibly expressive that it looks like tears are going to start falling any minute. One moment he has you laughing, next moment you're crying for him. Many actors these days can only do typecasted roles, but Kang Ji Hwan manages to really become the character, and display the many façades of the character's personality. You can't imagine anyone else playing Sun Woo Wan, or Hong Gil Dong. He IS those characters.

It's a shame that he's gone so much under the radar so far (at least for the international community, he's pretty popular in Korea though), but I'm glad he's finally getting the attention he deserves via Hong Gil Dong 8) Though I personally prefer his Sun Woo Wan role, because I reckon the character was deeper and more interesting.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 31st, '08, 16:43

Hehe..yeah I know PopSeoul sucks, but other than the occasional Dramabeans News Bites, I don't know any other place to get Kpop news. If anyone here can direct me to an accurate site that is equally as entertaining (I like reading their comments, lol) AND in english, that would be great.

I'm glad to hear so many good comments about Capital Scandal - it just makes me want to watch it even more. Although I can't imagine anyone having "wonderful" chemistry with Han Ji Min. Her acting is so bland in Resurrection. Hopefully seeing her being paired with Kang Ji Hwan will change my opinion of her.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 31st, '08, 22:59

I'm glad to hear so many good comments about Capital Scandal - it just makes me want to watch it even more.
I think it's the better show, and it's maybe Kang Ji Hwan's most memorable performance. He played Hong Gil Dong as straight man to the other actors, to deflect and make sure Sung Yu Ri's high wire act, Jang Seok's brooding posturing, and the ADD quirkiness of the script, comes cover with the audience. Which is what the story needed to work. However, in Capital Scandal, he played Suu Woo Wan as one-man show. Capital Scandal is ALL about Suu Woo Wan, the greatest bon vivant in all of Seoul!!! :D This worked just fine with Capital Scandal, because all the other main actors were vets (Ryu Jin is SO good in his role!)

You also get to see some of KJH's frightening, yet deeply moving anger. He does what Jang Hyuk did in Thank You, turning pure rage into something that that reveals development of character, that moves you to tears.
Although I can't imagine anyone having "wonderful" chemistry with Han Ji Min.
I have Capital Scandal as best KBS drama of 2007, but I thought Han Ji Min was a weak link. She was terrific in the more serious bits of the story (and personally I think she's matured into a serious actress), but the comedic stuff felt stiff and, well, stiff. It could be the fusion aspect or that she still doesn't have a great feel for comedy, but the frowning, "hanbok midget" of the drama seemed kinda blank and insensible. This is the kind of role that snark princess Han Ji Hye was borne to play.

On the other hand, KJH and Han Go Eun (in a breakthrough performance) . . . their chemistry is to die for. They're not a romantic couple in this story, but his warhol dandiness and her sultry humour is absolutely on fire. Just lovely to watch!

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 1st, '08, 07:58

fizzlex3mh wrote:Although I can't imagine anyone having "wonderful" chemistry with Han Ji Min. Her acting is so bland in Resurrection. Hopefully seeing her being paired with Kang Ji Hwan will change my opinion of her.
I think her ROLE was just bland in Resurrection. Eom Tae Woong was the only thing that mattered in that drama; everything revolved around him and his story. Eun Ha/Han Ji Min was less a character and more a prop so that Eom Tae Woong had a love interest and we can all go "aww" over the fact that there's someone who makes him happy.

Kang Ji Hwan and Han Ji Min's chemistry in Capital Scandal worked because their characters had to work off each other. The entire point is that Ji Hwan/Sun Woo Wan stopped running away from his past and the idea of "independence" because of his love for Na Yeo Kyung/Han Ji Min and his admiration for how determined she was. And vice versa, Yeo Kyung learned to losen up, learned to love, etc, because of Woo Wan. So that way, their on-screen chemistry worked, and from what I heard, their off-screen as well. Han Go Eun was reportedly jealous of the way those two were always off in their own little world together XD
I have Capital Scandal as best KBS drama of 2007, but I thought Han Ji Min was a weak link. She was terrific in the more serious bits of the story (and personally I think she's matured into a serious actress), but the comedic stuff felt stiff and, well, stiff. It could be the fusion aspect or that she still doesn't have a great feel for comedy, but the frowning, "hanbok midget" of the drama seemed kinda blank and insensible.
Hanbok midget! Hahaha. I'd have to agree with you that Han Ji Min is stronger at the more serious scenes. Comedy's always been her weaker side, if you've watched some of her other roles. I think, though, that she did managed to pull off the balance between angry midget/innocent & naive little girl. That's the role she had to play, or else Sun Woo Wan wouldn't have had to teach her how to losen up and enjoy life! If her character seemed less interesting, it's probably due to the brilliance that is Sun Woo Wan, the humour of Cha Song Joo and Ryu Jin was just awesome altogether.

I totally agree with what you said about Capital Scandal and his Sun Woo Wan role being the most memorable in his career thus far. In Sun Woo Wan, you've got all his previous roles combined - dork, charming playboy, man with emo dark past, all combined into one very realistic portrayal. It's so nice watching Kang Ji Hwan at his element, whereas in HGD sometimes you get the feeling that he's carrying the whole drama on his shoulders.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 1st, '08, 15:07

fizzlex3mh wrote:Hehe..yeah I know PopSeoul sucks, but other than the occasional Dramabeans News Bites, I don't know any other place to get Kpop news. If anyone here can direct me to an accurate site that is equally as entertaining (I like reading their comments, lol) AND in english, that would be great.
Don't get me wrong!! I frequent PopSeoul almost on a daily basis because, despite the mistakes they make, it's a highly entertaining site (esp. the comments as you said lol).

There are plenty of other similar blogs that are in English but I will have to concede none of them have the entertainment value of PopSeoul :)

equinox

Post by equinox » Jul 19th, '08, 23:58

I admire his acting so much in 90 Days, Time for Love!!!

.Silent.

Post by .Silent. » Jan 6th, '09, 20:41

I'm currently watching Hong Gil Dong and I must say that his acting is killing me.
My God. He is hilarious! :notworthy:
I'm already sure that after HGD I will watch 90 days, Time for Love and Capital Scandal. :D

EDIT:
I've got a question... Is he married? XD

cantabileblue

Post by cantabileblue » Mar 12th, '09, 15:31

ImageIm a die hard fan of Kang Ji Hwan already! Image
The first drama I watched was Capital Scandal, and after that I make a reserch for is other dramas. In this moment Im downloading Be Strong Geum Soon, and I expect him as good as always. The only drama I havent been able to find is Youth Fly to the Sky, and as the matter of fact is not even in his profile in dramawiki. I wonder if someone knows were to find it.
His last movie (Roug Cut) was excelent, and of course his acting was great.
Its really hard to find many fans at international level, but I hope he became as famous in our comunity as he is in Korea.
Go Kang Ji Kwan Saranghae! Image

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 10th, '11, 22:26

And he's back with new drama. Time to refresh his thread, kekeke...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Apr 11th, '11, 03:14

Yep. It's been a while. ^ ^

Tyrea

Post by Tyrea » Jun 5th, '11, 18:15

I had to share this

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nokmDwQ-41g" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Jun 5th, '11, 18:18

^ That HOT..thanks for sharing it *nosebleed*

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 5th, '11, 18:33

As much as Jihwan is hawt, Shihu is a better dancer. Sorry^^
:faint:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 5th, '11, 18:36

No need to make comparisons. They can both dance for us... :w000t:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 5th, '11, 18:52

Oh Ori, you shouldn't have said that. The air here is stiff... before the storm. Summer hot hit my city and I'm already finishing my ice coffee...

Jeez, how many sexual references I said? I need to go back to books, yes, it's a safe se... play. :w000t:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Jun 5th, '11, 19:17

The video of Ji Hwan: :faint: I think the emotion icon said enough for me! Thinking if I should change my profession into a dancer :mrgreen:

Tyrea

Post by Tyrea » Jun 7th, '11, 16:51

Ethlenn wrote:As much as Jihwan is hawt, Shihu is a better dancer. Sorry^^
:faint:
He is! :wub: But they're both good at shirt ripping ;) haha I'm all for both of them dancing and ripping their shirts for us 8)

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Nov 8th, '12, 17:50

i love him in HGD but i love him more in Lie to Me :P ! i think KJH and YEH have great chemistry together :wub: ..hope to see them in a new drama, soon:-)has anybody seen Detective Cha? what about his new series, does he have one?well, keep the love burning for Kang Ji Hwan coz this guy deserves it! :thumright: