Kim Nam Gil

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
princessmayer

Post by princessmayer » Jul 13th, '10, 06:55

He captured my heart when i first saw him in queen seonduke.. he is really one of the most adorable man ever..

aility

Post by aility » Jul 13th, '10, 09:25

I suggest a drinking gathering on the day KNG leaves for army, which is in 2 days...

Ethlenn, we will support you!!! :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 09:25

Thanks, I guess I will need support. :salut: :alcoholic:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 13:35

So it came to this...They finished shooting the episode 17 today. Drama was cut short, and SBS what? They told that "it all was planned".

Namgil-nim statement on this:
http://news.kbs.co.kr/culture/2010/07/12/2126847.html
"I regret that the news about the enlistment came a little late for the viewers and fans." (last lines, I just translated the essence of it).
Stupid, it wasn't him who should be sorry, but SBS. If they started to air as they planned in March, instead of doing nothing much, it would be wrapped up nicely, without rush and would let him end every his personal matter in a neat way.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 13th, '10, 13:53

Ethlenn, aility, lemme join you for the drinking party in KNG's honour. I'll be back on the 15th. :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Maybe cutting the drama a bit short isn't all that bad. Hope they'll leave out the boring recaps and repetitions which typical for the middle of a drama. Just pray the writers got enough sleep to come up with a decent wrap-up!!

Why are you apologizing, if you didn't do anything wrong, KNG? Hope he didn't overwork himself and manages to get a day of rest before his military training beginns. :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 13:57

He will get 4-week training before being put in a specific camp. This what I read from that article.

But he is overworking himself. Idiot.

Arakira, feel free to join, I'm wandering the town looking for the strongest alcohol possible. can anyone send me some slivovitz, please? (70% of alcohol, knocks down all my sorrow in no time. Right along with me.).

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 13th, '10, 14:22

LOOOOOL @ slivovitz. Woman, are you trying to kill yourself?? Get your act together and stand by your man for the next 2 years!. He needs support from mature woman, not kyaing fangirls drooling over his Bad Guy image!!
I'm in for some fine vodka-shots and if you like, i'll mix some killer-cocktails, but please hands off the slivovitz, Sunset Very Strong Rum and everything over 45% :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 13th, '10, 14:29

Aww... :pale: even with my glasses I still can read that small print...

Slivovitz is nice, especially home made, but you're right. I AM that mature woman he needs. But I will go for your cocktails...

Plus, more stupid fangirls are drooling over his Bidam image.

aility

Post by aility » Jul 15th, '10, 07:01

I think I have no sense of time at all, thinking 15th was on Friday...

Image Image

Totally different vibe than from Bad Guy... :salut: :salut:
We should go drinking tonight instead!! I have many wine bottles to pop up!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 15th, '10, 09:04

At 1 pm Korean time.

The good thing is (yes, I'm desperately looking for some good points), there will be hell of the coverage of it in every entertainment and movie show this weekend. A lots to watch and download.
:alcoholic:
I haven't slept all night waiting for first pics to appear. First I heard on the radio...
Wish him the best in the military! :salut:
http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?id ... 3201478932
aility, dear, you know I'm the type you won't have to say it again, lets make another party!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 15th, '10, 15:11

Awww! He looks so cuuuute with the short air. :D Hope he has an as easy as possible time there, hope he enjoys it, gains some nice weight to feel better and I know his fans will wait for the guy. Cause serious actors have loyal fans. :thumright:

Heck, I've gotten to attached to the idea of him by proxy (by Ethlenn) that even I feel like sighing that he's going away! XD Well, after he's done with it, he can come back and rock for life. :lol

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 15th, '10, 15:42

Wow, the feel is completely different from his late bad guy image!! he looks a bit dorky now :lol

read he's got some old injuries and therefore he'll be serving in a public department?!
does that mean he'll be doing some publicity/media stuff?
maybe there'll be some coverage during his time in the military?!

cheers, aility, Ethlenn! :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 15th, '10, 15:54

Old injuries, new injuries, all kinds of... broken knee few years back, damaged Achilles heel, damaged back (he fell from the horse filming QSD), filming Bad Guy he had severe hernia (he couldn't stay in hospital as long as doctors wanted, cause SBS had deadlines.... grrrr)...
It's a miracle he's actually walking without any sticks.

:alcoholic:
Be waiting!
And I'm grateful to all you, ladies!! I love you :wub:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 15th, '10, 23:37

That was a really bad fall off the horse. He had actress also on the horse and they were going at a good speed. They fell off on a hard surface like a street through a town...hard dirt. Made me jump when I saw it on TV.
I'm all for doubles doing the tricky stuff even though they like the actors to do it. Some actors don't realise that if they get hurt ,the production company wants them back in the saddle A.S.A.P. Nam Gil was back doing that scene in no time.

I hope they will give him a desk job and he can relax and rest for awhile.

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 00:17

I really hope for that too.
He was always very keen on making all physical scenes himself, he didn't need the stuntman at all. He doesn't want for them too look fake. Also in Bad Guy, the parachute jumping.

I hope he can relax now a bit.
Army did an exception for him. It speaks for itself.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 12:09

Cut from TV Entertainment Tonight is available to watch/download: :heart: __ :heart:
It's just a beginning in the coverage, I presume, but the other shows won't give us more than this one. It will be repeated, maybe from different angles and cameras. Which is good. :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 16th, '10, 18:50

I was so glad to see this. He already looks better and as if troubles have fallen away from him. Now all he has to do is the training and I don't think they will make him do really dangerous stuff. Then a desk job or something with publicity for the military. Just don't make him do entertaining and learning scripts etc etc.
Kim Nam Gl needs and deserves to step back and live for himself and not for SBS etc etc etc

When he returns...please...not a dark sad story. We need to see him in a lovely happy romantic comedy kind of thing. Please.....

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 21:00

He is quite bold in making choices in movies, or dramas. I love one of his dramas, but probably few people watched it despite it's really good (When The Spring Comes), also his quiet and balanced role as a mafia boss' right hand in Lovers. I mean, maybe tehre have weaknesses, but he electrifies the air when he steps in. I heard the sparkles cracked, I almost saw the tiny lightnings...

Let him just take his time.

And if I may say, He won't do anything fluffy and light. I'm sorry, Peggy... :salut:

PS. The second video from Section TV in 10 to watch or download on... ah well, on my blog^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 16th, '10, 22:54

Ah I don't mean fluffy and light my dear. I mean a meaty comedy that has strong undertones.
I think he could do one of these and make a new genre for himself. Then everyone would be copying of course.

I think it was Gary Cooper who did 'Bluebeard'...long time ago. However, he was always the strong silent cowboy and very serious.
When he did this film it was a real surprise.
Very interesting actor and lots of stories about him. Some still not talked about because they liked him and there was no papparazzi then.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '10, 00:08

Come to think of it, he didn't make comedy in his career. Some of his characters had comedy traits (OK, Bidam is a whole Universe in himself, doesn't count), but not typical comedy. It may be connected to what He said, that he is not interested in playing the good guys. he could be brilliant supporting role badass then. With comedy relief. We know He can do it.
Gary Cooper? They share the same charm, yes... :heart:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 17th, '10, 00:16

'When spring comes' was a most interesting drama.

The scene that I felt so deeply on a second viewing later was the one with Lee Eom on the rooftop with his Uncle. He so badly wanted to be an actor but was not facile enough, so Uncle advised him to dress up and keep his mouth closed and be a model. The ladies downstairs also brushing him off as an actor and how he would waste money taking all those acting classes.
Sad... because it followed what really happened to Lee Eom. He was a model and he did take acting classes and the difference was that he became a good actor and was well on his way. That motorcycle accident was never solved. He was so sweet in life as in dramas like Coffee Prince.

Kim Nam Gil is so tragic. I don't want him to stay in that mode. I know it gives him chance to delve deeper into his talent, but it will become very harsh for him. He needs a role where he can smile and laugh more. At least he did that in the beginning of his Bidam role. The variation will also be good for him as an actor. Comedy is not easy.

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '10, 00:35

I really liked Eom in this drama, more than in Coffee Prince even. The thing is, this drama was not that popular even though it is in my TOP 10 of Korean dramas. I liked the situations, and the solutions, I liked normal problems the characters had (father - criminal).

I also do hope he will play some cheerful character, because from 30th episode of QSD onwards Bidam began to change, so no more promordial, also cheerful moments. With his bright smile and sparkling eyes every role He wants is possible. But it's only up to Namgil-nim.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 18th, '10, 07:21

I saw some more pics of Nam Gil when he was saying goodbye to his fans at the army base. He was truly bright and cheerful and joking with the ladies there. I was pleased to see that many of them were older and probably his age plus. He will be missed and people will be waiting for him to get back into the drama and films when he finishes he service.

His smile is very important and he should not stay with roles that remove all those warm feelings. I noticed they have made my Takuya stop smiling in his latest drama and it does not suit him. A great deal of charm vanishes and it seems unnatural. these two guys must give us our special smiles now and then.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 18th, '10, 09:50

And he has that smile that either makes you madly in love, or madly running for your life, depending on the situation.

He was joking, as he always does, everyone from a crew says it, that he actually lightens up every press conference. But I think he is clever on this one, he avoids sometimes too personal questions in that way. He just jokes about it. But he can be laughing one moment and be dead serious the another. He's a walking secret.

I have the footage from shooting Bad Guy from May, and I was shocked seeing him joking, playing around and faster than blink of an eye he returned to being straight faced. It was almost impossible for me. But this is the quality of a movie actor. For me he was always a movie actor not a drama actor. I think only movie can verify if someone has talent or not.

So yes, those more mature fans will be waiting, they don't waver.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 19th, '10, 13:43

Just to add my two cents, as Peggy mentioned, as I see it, the average age of the spectators is around his own... Only few hormonal-ridden girls.
No cosplay girls, no fainting.

aility

Post by aility » Jul 20th, '10, 19:22

I jusw saw Miindo. Beautiful movie, great recommendation!!! :thumright:

And Kim Nam Gil, indeed indeed a good actor. His eyes, so expressive.

Next on the list is Lovers vanished ^^ Though not today, could be an overdose of KNG and he might end up in my dreams. I dont want you to kick me Ethlenn if that should happen :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 20th, '10, 19:45

There is nothing like an overdose of Namgil-nim^^
I can share. But only in dreams, hehe.

Miindo is a masterpiece. In every aspect.

His eyes... hmmm... that is why he opposed the director of Bad Guy, cause flat caps were covering them. Dammit, it's a crime to hide those eyes!

cohaha

Post by cohaha » Jul 21st, '10, 20:54

He's a really good actor. Saw him in Queen Seonduk

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '10, 10:44

One of the last pics before military:
http://www.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.ph ... 0715600005

I mean, it's good dear, but Keunsuk put you to shame if we talk about men's jewelry. You would just disappear in the crowd with that delicate and stylized pendant.
But I guess not every man has to shine like a lighthouse from the distance. But then again, not everyone is a man^^

kittykhatz20

Post by kittykhatz20 » Jul 22nd, '10, 11:42

Hmmm... he's been enlisted for military service... just when he's got more projects coming up.

I have great respect for him as an actor I specially loved him in Mindo and well, Seon duk did make him stand out even more. I'm just going to miss is dark and yet endearing portrayal of his character. I guess he's some what type-casted for such roles.when he comes back I hope to see a lighter side of Kim Nam Gil... I wish him all the best... at least it would give him time to do other things other than acting. He's an advocate of a lot of good causes and I totally admire this side of his personality. I will surely miss watching him.Oh well, time flies too quickly and before you know it two years would have gone and we'll see a refreshed Kim Nam Gil... well, I hope....

zsuness

Post by zsuness » Jul 22nd, '10, 11:48

Could you guys tell me what's this from? Thank you in advance! :)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '10, 11:50

He was preparing for the military since January, that is why he was even reluctant to do Bad Guy (you were right, you... eishh), he couldn't do more projects. Yes, he had one "hidden" but... well, it's hidden. I guess even he forgot when he hid it, hehe.

In two years he will be 31/32, so I don't think he will go for a light stuff, although his comedy moments are hilarious. Especially not after Lovers Vanished who brought him a nominations and awards on different festivals worldwide. It's not light at all.
He's not that kind of person to just change from that respectable, admiring worthy human being to an idiot seeking for an applause, so don't worry. After 2 years he will be like he was. Maybe a bit more mature.

Plus, I think he will go into public service, or at least will be a civil agent. Or army will just say his health is fine and he can run for 30 kilometres with 20 kilos on his back.

zsuness: QSD?

aility

Post by aility » Jul 22nd, '10, 12:30

Ethlenn: Your beloved KNG. Dont know if you have seen this clip already.

I must say I am working really efficiently today, hahahahah!

:salut: :salut:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '10, 12:55

Oh, aility, you made me so happy (even though I have this interview), but your thinking of me is sooo nice^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I kinda like this show, I even uploaded one testing episode of it in the past, buts since there was no interest, I removed it.
I have it in 2 versions: normal (700 Mb) and 720 (2.3 Gb), which one you want me to upload here^^

aility

Post by aility » Jul 22nd, '10, 13:13

well, you know, I have started to associate KNG with you ^^

If it is not subbed, then me do not understand anything :( That could be the reason for the lack of interest I think, as there seems to be pleeenty of KNG fans here at DA.

On the off-topic side::offtopic:

SHINee is performing on Music Bank tomorrow (korean time?), if you could get that clip, I would be forever grateful :notworthy:

zsuness

Post by zsuness » Jul 22nd, '10, 13:19

Ethlenn wrote:zsuness: QSD?
Thank you! :-)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '10, 13:19

Aili, love, I'm uploading Music Bank every week^^

I uploaded here interview from June 24 and I saw the number of downloaders in my program. Disappointing. But well, it wasn't subbed too.
I said: give me the timing I will sub it, dammit!!

zsuness: no problem^^

aility

Post by aility » Jul 22nd, '10, 13:39

Yes indeed you know, I am just blind dear ^^

Will keep my eyes out for the next one then. No need for subs to that luckily. hehehe....

No idea how to get timing and such, if I did, I could be your timer for these kinda shows :salut:

Or it is that you just eh... watch the video and then write down times and "lines" for when they talk? :blink

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 22nd, '10, 16:49

Yeah, but it's not like I'm fluent now, I would need script, ehh... with it, I can translate everything. And as we know, Korean is not that easy language to hear the pronunciation, so...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 23rd, '10, 08:47

If you do get a script and still wanna sub, i can do the timig. Aility, there's timing software, you just gotta set marks where a line starts and ends...I didn't do it often, cause it takes loads of patience and it may be even worse if it's korean, cause i don't know the language, but i guess better than nothing.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '10, 09:43

Yeah, I'm looking for a script. It's not a big deal doing from ear, cause Korean shows have always subtitles of more important sentences, or even the whole transcripts of what someone is saying (it was like this in World and I, where he appeared, so it was easy for me to understand). But I'm lost when they joke sometimes and I don't get the context or pun. This damned Korean pronunciation. And although he has a great diction, but speaks silently. Eh that whisper just melts me...

Good to know, if I get the script, I will haunt you^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '10, 21:21

New pics: Military outfit is so....
Plus higher resolution of Goldfish for download.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 23rd, '10, 22:13

BTS Stills from Bad Guy.

Ahahaah! Look at him puckering up! Adorable! :rofl: Turn around, woman! Can't you see the man wants a kissy kiss? :P Lol. So cute!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '10, 22:29

Yeah, saw that, just too good to be true...
Plus those legs...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 23rd, '10, 22:34

Ahaha. She was busy talking to that other guy and didn't know what was happening right next to her. Lol. He's really funny. :lol

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 23rd, '10, 23:07

I loved those stills so much. I had to post a comment. should really have put it here on his thread. I have spent the last couple of hours looking at Nam Gil in various stills and videos and he is one amazing person.
There is just so much THERE there. Beautifully packaged. We will never know what is in the centre however, and that is not the least of his charm.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '10, 23:21

He keeps himself to himself. And this is what I admire. Among myriads of other things in him...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 23rd, '10, 23:28

OT. re Drama special. No seed and no peer and now it is stopped with 189 hours. should I give up?? don;t want to be a nuisance.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 23rd, '10, 23:33

I'm on my way to help!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 24th, '10, 00:03

Ayy, he looks like he could enjoy his 2 year long holiday in the military. Very relaxed expression and no comment on the Camo :P The BG stills are also lovely, what an adorable clown he can be :wub:

Ethlenn, I downloaded the interview just in case you wanna do the subbing project. Don't understand a word being said but strangely, I still enjoy watching him and listening to his voice.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 24th, '10, 05:37

Ethlenn.
I was thinking about a role in which Nam Gil would be rather effective. I would like to see him play the Humphrey Bogart role in 'CASABLANCA'. I'd also like them to keep the song 'As Time Goes By'. Might even have a small scene and let Nam Gil sing it to himself...mixing a drink or something like that. They would have to change things around a little I suppose, although there is nothing wrong with the original story line.
At least he would not die even if he did not get the girl. It is a classic and one of the better films to come out of Hollywood. Of course that was when they made some good ones.

Too bad we don't know some Korean directors.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 24th, '10, 11:03

That may change, my dear. By the time we will get his back, we may become directors or scriptwriters, and... you never know, the sky's the limit.
He has a nice voice, he could sing it himself. But not Casablanka, I'm not that fond of this movie.

Arakira: I started too look for a script. There has to exist one.

Plus: he will be in public service. It's official.
I guess his health is not that good.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 00:35

Well a few broken bones and a bad back doesn't work well with heavy military duty. So I will hope that the public duty will suit him for a change.

Top years out is too far for me to envisage. I go one day at a time and live every minute therof.
I do look forward to seeing Nam Gil again and also a few others. Kim Rae Won definitely. He is a ray of sunshine. He is one of the few Korean actors who can handle comedy quite well. It is much more difficult than tragedy or heavy drama.

'Casablanca was a tale of my times I suppose and it struck a chord here and there. Most of those films out of H'wood were strictly out of H'wood. They never knew the base from which to start.
I won'tgo into details it's too dismal.

I've been watching my Kimura talking about the new SMAP album. They are getting ready for their new concert tour in Japan. That will cheer anyone.
Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 01:18

That means maybe some public appearances (I started to feed on hope lately)^^
But then I doubt that. Yes, that's me, a realist in the end. And I would be more concerned about his legs, he injured them badly over the time. It's a miracle he's walking actually. I have somewhere some pics that were taken when he spend half of the year in the hospital. At least on them, he tried to stay cheerful. And goofy.

Kim Rae Won is great in a comedy, you're right, he's like a sunshine, I smile when he smiles.

But you can write here whatever you want, to your heart's content. One of my favorite ol' times movie is Morocco, I know, it's a bit tacky maybe, but I have such strong sentiment over that movie. I like the filtre they used, it was possible to achieve such effects only with black-and-white movies, I like the way they framed faces... But those times are long gone.
That is why I turned to Asian cinema long time ago, because they can make profitable movie not losing the artistic ways of making it.

Hmm, they have energy for another tour and album? They are like cyborgs, ne?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 01:48

Seems they never run out of energy. They are tightly contracted and seems also there is no way they can escape. They tried once but did not work. Now of course they could never do a concert on their own. It costs millions to put on the shows they do just for the trucks and the put together and take down staff. The musicians and the dancers are first class and this they all treasure especially Kimura.
They really make more money out of their CMs and dramas than they do with JE. Kimura looks at SMAP as a day of work. the cherry on the top is the cameraderie with the other members after being together for twenty years.

Ethlenn I'm going to miss you.

Ethlenn I will post about you know who, and you know who as well. 8)

Oh yes I saw JJY. He is rather special and has interesting face. Yes has family. did not say anything about them except ask them to 'keep on putting up with him....' :-)

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 11:47

JJY is a storm. Um, maybe a quiet storm when he speaks in interviews, but his roles are powerful as the last storm of the history.
Yes, I admire...
Interesting face? It sounded like, hmm, how to say he's far from being handsome but not to hurt her? Don't worry, I can handle the truth. Haha!!

I'm going to miss you too, be waiting for your post^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 16:29

Ufff, translated video is here:
Annyeong^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 20:26

It's too easy to say he is handsome. that is a given. But when you get a handsome face with something behind it, then that is interesting. He looks quite mysterious to me as though he could take you apart and put you back together again...if he wished.

I would say he is calm to be with but be on your toes mentally. Not JUST a handsome face. 8)

With lovely helpful link from Arakira, I go,t and watched, Boy meets Boy. It was the sweetest fable. Done so well with such a light touch. Those directors were well versed in the subject obviously.
I saw the Just Friends first but I think I liked doing it that way. ' Boys' solidified the whole life of the films.

Don't go Ethlenn
:whistling: Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 20:47

He was tempted to undergo a plastic surgery while filming QSD, but he's smart enough not to do it. This proves he's not vain.

"He looks quite mysterious to me as though he could take you apart and put you back together again...if he wished. "
I couldn't describe this inner feeling better myself. Exactly, if he wished.

Watching all of his recent videos while reporting to the military office, one thing is obvious, and we stated this few times. He can joke to lighten up the situation, but overall he's one deep cave inside. He can easily avoid the questions he doesn't want to answer and make everyone think that this is the answer THEY expected. You can take a veil from him, but under that veil is another and another. He looks sometimes as if he was in his one metre circle with invisible walls that no one, no matter how light and funny situation is around, care to cross.
This is what he built, this is his actor's trademark.

About those little movies, I liked especially BmB, because it was such a sweet etude. Almost without words, just focusing on those first, timid, awkward feelings.
Just Friends is another genre, it's a small comedy, wonderfully acted and made.

I won't be long^^ Three weeks, if my mental health will allow it. If not, I'll be back earlier. Long story.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 20:52

Ethlenn,

I am just starting to feel that I am losing the use of a few grey cells. I don't know why I can't follow some instructions when I want to make a comment on your blog. I just wrote comment on the Nam Gil farewell. Can't make it stick because it keeps telling me I am doing something illegal with entry. Anyway I loved your translation and you are really very clever because Korean is not an easy language no matter what anyone says. It may be that Korea is the Land of Morning Calm but translation of the language must make you tear your hair at times.
thank you for the satisfaction you gave me with this effort.

Peg

Next time you might have enough energy to do the Gold fish show translation...... :roll

OK I'm going.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 21:03

I would do the translation within two days, but this is a comedy show, so I know my level of Korean, although KNG speaks very distinctively, but usually in a low voice, plus Goldfish is a comedy, that means puns and jokes. If I had Korean or Japanese script, that would easy up my life, like this video. I had script on the screen, I could do it (plus it was 4 minutes, so it took me not an hour).
I have enough energy for such wonderful human being, I guess.

Strange, I think I set up that everyone can make a comment, I see comments from those who don't have Blogger accounts, if you have gmail or any other, I think you can post it. Anyway, I will look into it.
I wonder, I use this blog to vent all my emotions (like I have any, hehe), so I wonder what will I do through 3 weeks without it?

Love!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 21:04

Incidentally you did mean the Morocco with Marlene??

They always had to shoot her scenes, especially the closeups, with a sheer veil over the lens. that's why she always looked so luminous. For an actress she knew all there was to know about her best image and how the cameras worked, and especially the lighting she needed...and always got.

When she did her shows in Las Vegas she was really the perfect 'star'. She was truly a showman. Tough as nails. She still went on after she had broken her leg and it never healed properly. Very painful and needed constant attention. Very few knew because she looked ravishing and did it all as usual. For years.
I always was shocked at the bad mothing she got from her daughter after she died.

Well I hope I am talking about the same film here...

Peg

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 21:06

Don't worry re the blog. I wil go back and take my time instead of dashing away.

It's not YOU...It's ME babe.

Love that line.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 21:19

Yes, i was talking about this MOROCCO, with great Marlene. She was really great, a true star, independent, strong and free to do whatever she wanted. She knew her worth also.
I don't really give a damn about the rumors spreading by her daughter. I admire her still. She ws in the same time flexible like a snake and hard as steel.

The line is indeed memorable^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 21:45

Ethlenn :-)

http://www.hancinema.net/photos-of-kim- ... 24324.html

Not wonderful but natural.

Peg

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 25th, '10, 21:57

One more from Hancinema

http://www.hancinema.net/kim-nam-gil-bi ... 24261.html

You can see how good your own translation was.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 25th, '10, 22:06

I translated the essence of it, I'm still a newbie in putting lines into it^^
Yes, I saw the pics, posted them^^
It's natural AND wonderful, just to add.

Thank you, Peggy :wub:
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jul 27th, '10, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 26th, '10, 00:48

After reading the translations of Kim Nam Gil's farewells upon entering the military, I am struck with his general equanimity. He seems to be taking life in his stride even tho he was rushed over the last week or so with the drama. I think he truly is one of the band of rogues and vagabonds that make up the artistic roamers of the world.
They make the most of their time wherever they may be. He is one to absorb all the nuances from the people he meets and the situations in which he finds himself.
I guarantee that in the future he will use every experience in one way or another in his acting life.

Some people drift through time enjoying or being miserable, but they don't leave much in the world. I think that some of the good actors leave part of themselves because they affect other people to a great degree and Kim Nam Gil is certainly one of them.
I know I have been impressed with his acting ability and his personality. That mean that even when he is not right in front of me on the screen, I can still see him and enjoy him in my mind. Now that is giving a great deal to the world..and he seems to be happy doing it most of the time.
I like to hear that he still appreciates the opinions expressed by his parents about such a small matter as his haircut. He is a very basic person still.

Enjoy the time Nam Gl.

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 26th, '10, 12:05

He seems to be very down-to earth person, always alert but distant.
I think his family can be proud of their son ike this. As a person - he's humble and shy still, as an actor - he's brilliant and on the good way to be even better, to outshine everyone of his generation.
Plus he has a big heart, and lot of empathy, especially towards kids and deprived of any rights.

I think he will enjoy this two years but he doesn't need to mature more. He's mature enough.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 26th, '10, 20:22

This is an interview with Nam Gil when he was doing the BIDAM role. I really like the things he says about acting and I love that he brings his father into the converstions so often in interviews.

http://www.jazzholic.com/2009/11/04/int ... m-nam-gil/

A long interview but most worth while if you like him as an actor or as a person.

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 26th, '10, 21:12

I know it, I read it on Asiae some time ago. It was actually first QSD interview I read. I was reluctant to go to any QSD-mentioning website, I just refused to look for it. I don't know why, maybe because all this fuss around his stormy appearance in the drama. Maybe I was annoyed by those stupid girls going kyaaa over the character they surely didn't udnerstand? I mean, it is natural to admire his portrayal fo Bidam, but you can't love the character. Bidam was a blade, if you kiss the blade it can cut you in half. I guess it was all because of the looks, not because of the character.
Lets face it, Bidam was an animal, completely wild and uncivilized, he wasn't tamed. He was cruel, cunning and merciless. Not to mention unstable and borderline. As much as I feel sympathy towards him, the more I fear him. There was this scene in one episode (37, or 38?) when he kicked the rock at one bird. He was simply sadistic sometimes.
I don't get it why some nutty girls went kyaa over him. It was just because Bidam's look, not his persona.

But thank you for reminding me of that interview. I like to read/watch the interviews with solid actors who have something interesting to say about their way of work. He's serious about it. he gives his all. That is why Jae Min has been haunting me for 4 years, that is why when I started to watch dramas, his work was the first I ever downloaded.
Because he's a whole when we speak about actors. He's borderless talented, hard-working, normal, sensitive person. He merges all qualities into this one amazing human being called Kim Nam Gil nim.
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jul 27th, '10, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 27th, '10, 00:07

Ah but Bidam was fascinating. A real bad boy with the right kind of smile to pull everyone close before he unsheathed the terror. It was Mishil who opened him up finally to being her son even tho she would not accept him. What a harsh scene when they were alone on the hilltop and he made his plea to her as his mother. She was really the evil one all the way through to her bones.It is the fact that the fangirls only found him in this role that is rather frustrating. He was a fine actor long before this role but it often happens they are not having the right light put on them so it takes one 'overnight' flash and suddenly they are a 'Star'. Nam Gil does not want this kind of idol popularity so I think he will over come it with style once he returns.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 11:41

He fears that Bidam made a way too big impact on his career and he will be always seen as him no matter what he plays. But he sounded optimistic when he said it's his responsibility to break from it.

As for Bidam and Mishil. I admire Ko, she created a pure evil in a form of a gorgeous woman. I remember when she told him that she should killed him instead of abandonning. Deep down, Bidam wanted her love and acceptance all this time. This was his true yearning, and for her, for one warm word from her, he would flood the world with blood.

And I have no power to bear with all that fangirls who find him ugly in other roles. It's just plain stupid.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 27th, '10, 18:16

Ethlenn,

Who finds him ugly?? He is ever fascinating and never ugly. He plays the role he has taken and he takes on the personality as deep as he can get to it. I did not find him ugly in the homosexual film and that could have been a disaster. It was a portayal of a soul in despair at times. I found it very moving, and almost saddened me, but it was wonderful acting and nothing ugly about him or the movie. That setting for that kind of lowlife to which he had found entry was ugly, but he was never ugly.

Well fan girls.... :-(

I still have to bring myself to watch Bad Guy. I know what it entails to go through that when he is that kind of role. sigh. But it's the acting that lures me.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 18:31

His acting is actually the only thing that is worth watching in this drama. Maybe I will change my opinion after I see the ending, I don't know.

I wasn't talking about No Regret only. For most of his "fans", there is only Bidam in his resume. They find all his roles boring and him as unattractive. I guess they never seen Goodbye Solo, he was pretty as a flower in it. Cold and sly at the same time, but pretty. Actually, personally, I like him older, I like him worn out, if you know what I mean. With mustache, with longer, tied carelessly hair, wearing jeans and tshirt.
He has this image of "this is the man I can talk about everything with", not just stare and look at his beauty.
His every website (non-officials though) were created after QSD, sad as it is, but that's true. That is why I can believe in his bitterness and lack of any delusions about fame and popularity. he treats it like a surge, like a wave. It comes and go. He doesn't throw himself frantically into crowds of screaming, hormone-ridden girls, he does nothing to please anybody. As an actor he does what he is supposed to do. As a person, he gives us only what he considers as harmless to himself and his privacy.

Yeah, he can sometimes look unattractive, he does, but then again, who doesn't?