Fun CDrama for learning Mandarin?

Discuss chinese drama series here.
Jana Adoru

Fun CDrama for learning Mandarin?

Post by Jana Adoru » Nov 13th, '07, 08:22

Hi,

I'm learning Mandarin and wondered which drama you'd recommend that is in Mandarin, has English subtitles, and is also fun to watch! (So I keep motivated learning the language!)

:lol

Thanks!!

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Nov 13th, '07, 20:57

twdramas are good...i used them when i was studying mandarin. Try devil beside you, smiling pasta, why why love, my lucky star, corner with love, rock paper scissors/a game about love, tokyo juliet, hana kimi, the prince who turns into a frog, meteor garden, mars, magicians of love, it started with a kiss, marmalade boy and many many more.

also have u thought about watching movies such as curse of the golden flower, crouching tiger, house of flying daggers etc...

Jana Adoru

Post by Jana Adoru » Nov 14th, '07, 02:14

ktnew wrote:twdramas are good...i used them when i was studying mandarin. Try devil beside you, smiling pasta, why why love, my lucky star, corner with love, rock paper scissors/a game about love, tokyo juliet, hana kimi, the prince who turns into a frog, meteor garden, mars, magicians of love, it started with a kiss, marmalade boy and many many more.
Is any of those particularly easy? I'm still just a beginner...

Also I'm confused. Is Taiwanese Chinese really Mandarin? Somehow I thought it wasn't.
also have u thought about watching movies such as curse of the golden flower, crouching tiger, house of flying daggers etc...
I'd love to but until I understand those...

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 14th, '07, 03:13

Jana Adoru wrote:
ktnew wrote:twdramas are good...i used them when i was studying mandarin. Try devil beside you, smiling pasta, why why love, my lucky star, corner with love, rock paper scissors/a game about love, tokyo juliet, hana kimi, the prince who turns into a frog, meteor garden, mars, magicians of love, it started with a kiss, marmalade boy and many many more.
Is any of those particularly easy? I'm still just a beginner...

Also I'm confused. Is Taiwanese Chinese really Mandarin? Somehow I thought it wasn't.
Taiwanese and Mandarin are different, HOWEVER, Mandarin is the common language spoken in Taipei and in dramas. Occasionally someone in a drama may use some Taiwanese slang but it's mostly Mandarin that is used.

Jana Adoru

Post by Jana Adoru » Nov 15th, '07, 06:24

Thanks! And sorry for being clueless...

Also, just saw someone else ask the same question... so I'm not the only one! :salut:

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Nov 16th, '07, 17:37

Ditto to the responses above.

Most Taiwanese dramas are in Mandarin, with Taiwanese slang. It's like the difference between different kinds of English in America. Taiwanese also usually speak the Hokkien dialect, which is very different from Mandarin and is used in very few drama.

Also, I would stay away from period/historical drama, because they refer to obscure poems, idioms, and people and things that even I have trouble with sometimes (but I just ignore it because I can usually get it from the context...). They're usually not THAT important, but too many in the show and it will throw you off a lot. Mean Girl Ah Chu--a modern romantic Taiwanese drama--is one of these. If you watch it, just understand that some of it will be a whole lot of literary mumble jumbo.

I'd watch action drama/movie, too. They have few words and are entertaining enough for you to keep watching even if you don't understand a lot of it.

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Dec 15th, '07, 07:39

Jana Adoru wrote: Is any of those particularly easy? I'm still just a beginner...
You're never going to get a really basic drama because after all they are made for people that actually understand the language. So what I recommend is you choose a drama with english subs lets take 'the devil beside you' for example and then you can actually enjoy and understadn the drama but also hear the language itself. You'll notice that you start recognising what words mean.

ginny_lunallena

Post by ginny_lunallena » Dec 18th, '07, 05:22

yup dby is fun to watch, Im a beginner too but the one I think I learned the most from is Meteor Garden :)

edit: btw, you know what's really worked for me..... I learned the lyrics of the theme song of Meteor Garden, and then looked up the video on utube, and it was like a karaoke, because it had the chinese characters.. so that might work for u too....