Most Overrated/Underrated TDrama of 2007?

Discuss chinese drama series here.
Keymaker

Most Overrated/Underrated TDrama of 2007?

Post by Keymaker » Dec 20th, '07, 17:16

As 2007 comes to a close, it looks like that time of year where people discuss their favorite dramas that came out. It's been a pretty good year for dramas, especially with popular dramas such as My Lucky Star. I figured that since favorite lists will be common, I wanted to change it up a bit. So the question is: what was the most overrated and most underrated dramas of this year? For me...

Most Overrated: Hana Kimi
This is a love/hate drama for a lot of people, but it wasn't like that for me. I just found it about average, mostly because it was excellent in the first half and not very good in the second half. This is a common trend in a lot of Taiwanese dramas as they lose steam, but it was more so in Hana Kimi. Maybe the producers got greedy and thought they could get away with milking this series of profits. Whatever the reason, this show received an incredible boost in popularity with a star-filled cast based on a name-brand comic series. Unfortunately, its execution doesn't deserve the hype it got.

Most Underrated: 18 Censored or Not
I was seriously surprised about this show. I didn't think that it would be that good since I didn't recognize any of the actors, but the script writing for this show was phenomenal. Even though it was a big hit in Taiwan, very few people seem to care about it in the forums. It's an even bigger shame that people would assume that it would just be a gimmicky and perverted show from the first episode alone. That's too bad though, because it simply became a deeper and engaging show afterwards. It'll never get the popularity that other high school dramas like Hana Kimi got this year, but it deserved just as much.

Hyun

Post by Hyun » Dec 21st, '07, 01:31

I totally agree with that. Most of my friends seemed to love Hana Kimi but none of them have even heard of 18 Jin Bu Jin. I thought Hana Kimi was so-so, but I actually stopped watching it when Hanazakari no Kimitachi e aired.

Since I don't know mandarin, I've only watched the first 5 episodes of 18 Jin Bu Jin but I really like it and I think its definately underrated as you said.

ginny_lunallena

Post by ginny_lunallena » Dec 23rd, '07, 23:16

i think Why Why Love was overrated.... i like rainie and LOVE Mike and Kingone.. but the plot of the story was just meh.... there's no way I can compare it to Devil Beside You or Mars...

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Feb 4th, '08, 03:41

Overrated: Goong
I really didnt enjoy this at all! I thought it was draggy and the excessive about of time spent on the family convos was rediculous!

Underrated: Mars
I never hear about this being recommended or raved about, and I think its one of the best dramas out there!

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Feb 4th, '08, 03:53

goong is korean...not taiwanese and was mars from 2007? someone told me it was 2004

overrated....totally Why Why Love ick on so many levels. it tried too hard to be Devil Beside You 2 but failed hardcore. hana kimi comes a close second tho....the acting....ickkkky!

underrated..,,i haven't seen 18jbj...so i will go with ying ye 3+1...it was a cute non serious show that didn't take itself too seriously ^_^

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Feb 4th, '08, 04:08

Mars was 2004..... and is pretty popular from the people I talk to. A little heavy for most people maybe.

Overrated: And I agree... Why Why Love was a huge let down. It seemed totally made up on the spot and very unrealistic. It just failed.

Underrated: Queen's. It was so funny and so cute. Xiao Gang was like a little puppy. Adorable and pathetic. It made you want to squish him with love. The part with the BL was nicely done too. It actually had me rooting for the dudes.

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Feb 4th, '08, 04:52

battlegirlai wrote:goong is korean...not taiwanese and was mars from 2007? someone told me it was 2004

overrated....totally Why Why Love ick on so many levels. it tried too hard to be Devil Beside You 2 but failed hardcore. hana kimi comes a close second tho....the acting....ickkkky!

underrated..,,i haven't seen 18jbj...so i will go with ying ye 3+1...it was a cute non serious show that didn't take itself too seriously ^_^
oops sorry i misread the title and thought it was a general convo about over/underrated dramas.

baka-ranger
Location: Either in Jap Disneyland or at the JE building stalking or recruiting boybands to join my JE Yakuza

Post by baka-ranger » Feb 5th, '08, 09:18

Overrated: Definitely Hana Kimi, hey I loved it at the start but it failed drastically with the worst ending I'd ever seen in a drama...heck any story=___= the only reason I don't completely hate it by now is cause of Jiro and Chun saving it, I mean without them it'd prob wouldn't be too good, plus I thought some of the acting was a bit blehXP
I haven't seen why why love yet so i wouldn't know but I did like dy but it seems wwl can't even be compared to it by the comments I've read

Underrated: Whoa theres a lot for me, I thought My Lucky Star was underrated till I saw how little discussion there was for 18 Jin bu Jin and my Brown Sugar Macchiato(which I usually now mention in every thread I post into o.O...okay I just gotta say it ...WANG ZI!!!!!!!!♥≧▽≦)
I think I can understand how BSM is a underrated cause it doesn't suit to everyone's tastes if they're into serious dramas but 18 Jini bu Jin, eben though it seems perverted i think its the only t-drama that can teach us morals and have meaning in it paired up with its wonderful script, I simply love the little messages at the end of each episode, I find them very touching and not corny at all plus I usually find A LOT of things corny and fake but the messages are very sweet and real=___=omg I sound so friggin corny GAHHHH but its trueeeeeeeeee!!

saby

Post by saby » Feb 5th, '08, 09:32

overrated: WWL.. it was just..... boring... and rainies acting.... gosh

underrated: MY LUCKY STAR....

anythingthatrhymes

Re: Most Overrated/Underrated TDrama of 2007?

Post by anythingthatrhymes » Feb 5th, '08, 11:33

Keymaker wrote: Most Overrated: Hana Kimi
This is a love/hate drama for a lot of people, but it wasn't like that for me. I just found it about average, mostly because it was excellent in the first half and not very good in the second half. This is a common trend in a lot of Taiwanese dramas as they lose steam, but it was more so in Hana Kimi. Maybe the producers got greedy and thought they could get away with milking this series of profits. Whatever the reason, this show received an incredible boost in popularity with a star-filled cast based on a name-brand comic series. Unfortunately, its execution doesn't deserve the hype it got.

Most Underrated: 18 Censored or Not
I was seriously surprised about this show. I didn't think that it would be that good since I didn't recognize any of the actors, but the script writing for this show was phenomenal. Even though it was a big hit in Taiwan, very few people seem to care about it in the forums. It's an even bigger shame that people would assume that it would just be a gimmicky and perverted show from the first episode alone. That's too bad though, because it simply became a deeper and engaging show afterwards. It'll never get the popularity that other high school dramas like Hana Kimi got this year, but it deserved just as much.
I agree completely with keymaker...
18JBJ was so funny, but I was a bit disappointed that they got reallycliche around the last couple episodes, especially since Qiao left an they replaced her with an inconsistent character.

Hana Kimi I liked, but it didn't offer much development in the second half. Plus, Wuzun... I just don't like him. Jump or don't jump, make up your mind.

Flaminco Girl

Post by Flaminco Girl » Feb 9th, '08, 08:06

Overrated : Definitely Hana Kimi. I actually stopped watching it halfway, and I skipped every 10 minutes or so, and watched maybe 10 seconds of it, to get the main idea of the ending. I hated that drama. Ella's character was too exaggerated and stupid! Wu zun's acting was kinda embarrassingly awkward? Sometimes, you just can't bear to watch some scenes, because it was so awkward. Jiro's character was annoying as heck! All he ever says is his attraction to Ella. I was like...Yes, I KNOW, I GET IT...and then I skip forward to other scenes.

Other notable is romantic princess. It was okay, but the acting and plot just weren't there.

Underrated: MY LUCKY STAR! This drama is so funny, romantic, sweet, and eventful. Many unforseen things happen in the story, and it just keeps you watching without ever wanting to stop. I watched the whole drama of 20 episodes in one day :D The chemistry between the main characters is really evident and sweet. And best of all, there's no cliches and anything like that. The whole drama was extremely refreshing and entertaining to watch.

iluvzaizai21

Post by iluvzaizai21 » Feb 11th, '08, 05:34

Overrated: Its a toss-up between Hana Kimi and Romantic Princess. I love Wu Zun as much as the next fangirl out there, but these two dramas were just major disappointments (not his fault, though). Hana Kimi was terrible mainly because Ella's acting was incredibly over-the-top. She just wasn't charming at all. And the ending sucked. Romantic Princess, I think, had a shallow premise and was pretty draggy. Angela didn't help much either.

Underrated: Definitely My Lucky Star. :D I love this series. Great plot, great chemistry between the leads. Couldn't stop watching it. I agree with the people who say that this drama kept the cliches down to a minimum. Quite refreshing actually.