Anyone from Hong KONG?

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Anyone from Hong KONG?

Post by kylagurl » May 14th, '07, 10:11

Dear all,

Just wondering, are there any users on da who are in Hong Kong??? I've tried writing letters to a few potential penpals who are from Hong Kong and it's been a week and no one replied me. Sobx... I might be going HK this June and I always feel that knowing locals and being brought around by locals would then make you feel the country... As a tourist, it's quite different from knowing how it's like to really understand (a little) how it's like as someone from Hong Kong? WAhha...

I've saw on other threads that many ppl have gone to HK but they aren't locals there and they're like recommending all the nice places or places that one must not miss if we ever go. I'm hoping to get some positive responses here ha, cos i'm not very lucky with emailing ppl from Hong Kong! Wahah...

*lurve, kylagurl
m_m* hee

Meko

Post by Meko » May 15th, '07, 18:25

@kylagurl

Im born and have lived in hk... but im currently living in Canada. I might head back this summer. If you need i could give u tips on where to visit and eat and shop? Other than that, if i can confirm my flight back to hk ill contact you again

-Meko Kun

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » May 21st, '07, 09:30

Meko wrote:@kylagurl

Im born and have lived in hk... but im currently living in Canada. I might head back this summer. If you need i could give u tips on where to visit and eat and shop? Other than that, if i can confirm my flight back to hk ill contact you again

-Meko Kun
Wow! Wahha, I have got many tips from another thread in d-addicts but I won't mind more ahha. When exactly you going back to hk? I think me and my frens have sorta postponed the trip to july, cos it'll be cheaper as it is not the peak season anymore... Why are you in Canada? Are you a gurl or boi? I can't tell from your nick ahha...

*lurve, kylagurl
m_m*

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » May 21st, '07, 10:01

Hong kong is such a nice city! I been there about three times.. Im was actually born in the US but im canton. If you want to take a tour don't risk paying cheap tours. There really scandalous in my experience.

1. Take the ferry at night its beautiful around 8-10pm they always have light/laser shows form the buildings. Im not exactly sure what time i forgot.

2. Take the taxi up into the mountains at daytime or night

3. Shopping in kowloon but almost anywhere is fine.. they have awesome bargains.

4. Ocean park is a amusement park. its not better then six flags but its nice atmopshere. They have Roller coaster right off the island.. and you can view the ocean while riding.

5. I never get the chance to catch the club names. But clubbing is also fun down there.
Its 18 to drink. So if you drink your fine to drink there.

Macau is also a good place to tour .

Hope some of this information help... Im actually going back ot hong kong around july also. I relaly miss that place.. I love the atompshere there. Good luck to your journey. Ga yoo!

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » May 21st, '07, 10:47

Wahaah, thanks hakkablood, are you hakka or cantonese? Does it mean you're a Chinese? Wow, thanks for all the pointers but I heard that it's ultra expensive to take a cab. Wahha, if you're going when I'm going, can we meet? Hee, cos you've been there before and I haven't had the experience of touring a foreign country with someone I don't know but kinda know, like know online ahhah...

Cos if me and my frens are going, it'll only be about 3 or 4 of us in total. Although I'm apprehensive about meeting people like this, I still wanna try, but you might be terrified ahha... I don't know... Wahhaa, can you speak Cantonese? Mine sucks...

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 21st, '07, 10:58

Ooh, you're planning to visit? Hong Kong is awesome, though if you're going in June, I'd advice you prepare some summer clothes XD It gets pretty steamy there, since it's ultra humid.

If you want to do some SERIOUS shopping, head for Fa Yuen Street in Mong Kok 8D And Women's Street, of course, though be careful, that's a popular tourist spot so they might try to rip you off. Speaking in Cantonese might help =D

If you like Asian music/boyband merchandise, try Sino Centre, also in Mong Kok. It's somewhere down Nathan Road, there's a big blue sign 8D

And make sure to eat as much as you can! XD The worst thing about being in Australia is the lack of food over here, LOL. Hong Kong is an awesome place to eat~

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » May 21st, '07, 11:01

Hoshiakari wrote:Ooh, you're planning to visit? Hong Kong is awesome, though if you're going in June, I'd advice you prepare some summer clothes XD It gets pretty steamy there, since it's ultra humid.

If you want to do some SERIOUS shopping, head for Fa Yuen Street in Mong Kok 8D And Women's Street, of course, though be careful, that's a popular tourist spot so they might try to rip you off. Speaking in Cantonese might help =D

If you like Asian music/boyband merchandise, try Sino Centre, also in Mong Kok. It's somewhere down Nathan Road, there's a big blue sign 8D

And make sure to eat as much as you can! XD The worst thing about being in Australia is the lack of food over here, LOL. Hong Kong is an awesome place to eat~
Wow thanks hoshiakari ahha, for all the tips. Have you been there? Well I guess summer there is not much difference with Singapore since Singapore is humid all year. We don't even have the slighest change of the 4 seasons, it's just rain or shine ahha. I know a teeny weeny bit of cantonese but I'll surely be made fun of by those Hong Kongers ahha, since it sucks really bad.

My pa told me to speak in Mandarin, at least they can't fight back in Mandarin since most of them aren't too fluent in that ahha. Wahha, Australia has lack of food? Which part of Australia are u from?

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » May 21st, '07, 11:15

Oh man i spended all night watching hello miss! and saw this post again.. I love hello miss so much got me soo addicted to it trying to get the last ep16 sub.. but yes i speak fluent cantonese. My antcestors are hakka but i don't know how to speak it i wish i do. Hakka is like korean and cantonese mix together if you wanted to know how it sounds like. Im spending about one week in hong kong its really expensive there =D im trying to spend most of my time in guangzhou. Everything is soo cheap food is great , shopping likeyour rich but really you only brought like few thousand with you haha. Atmosphere there is also nice. And most my family lives there. But yeah i don't mind to meeting up im bringing about 5-6 cousin and freinds down there too. Yeah i prefer not don't meeting people from the internet but you never know =D. So your mardarin?

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 21st, '07, 11:15

I was born there and lived there for half my life 8D I go back every Christmas as well. Ah you're from Singapore? In that case Hong Kong weather would be NOTHING XD I've been to Singapore once and you literally stand there sweating buckets even in "winter".

Well these days a lot of people in Hong Kong ARE mainlanders, so they'd be speaking Mandarin anyway 8D; If you know a bit of both, you'll be fine in Hong Kong XD

I'm from Sydney O: Not too much variety here, really. And I'm talking about snackfoods and all sorts of other things =P You go to the supermarket here and all you get are Smiths chips and crackers, LOL.

stefonia

Post by stefonia » May 21st, '07, 11:33

kylagurl wrote: My pa told me to speak in Mandarin, at least they can't fight back in Mandarin since most of them aren't too fluent in that ahha. Wahha, Australia has lack of food? Which part of Australia are u from?
don't speak to them in mandarin! they dont usually offer discounts to people speaking mandarin cuz most dudes from mainland china don't bargain : p
& im from hong kong, born and raised ! when're you coming?

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » May 21st, '07, 20:26

Stefonia is right. Some people in Hong Kong would like to take advantages of the foreigners.

stefonia

Post by stefonia » May 22nd, '07, 05:13

its funny how bargain works best in flea markets!
for me i go up, smile at them, -they talk a lot- and i pretend i enjoy listening and beg them for a cheaper price like im their granddaughter LOL, but it works well haha xD

Arion

Post by Arion » May 29th, '07, 10:25

funny fact is: sometimes even if they say that they made it cheaper for u if u bargain, it's still a rip off xD

somehow they know that ur not from there even if ur fluent in cantonese ;) depends in how ur clothed and act.

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » May 30th, '07, 05:57

All I got to say is im pro at it haha. Always walk away till i get the price is the way i wanted it haha. Learn it from my mom and grand mom

evilkelvin

Post by evilkelvin » Jun 13th, '07, 12:41

im from hk and here are some tips
.be persistent and realli dont try to lower the price THAT much
.if they still say no, pretend u walk away in frustration (this sometimes works and they might call u back)
.say that other shops offer lower prices and im just buying here cause u look decent enuff or somethin lol!

stefonia

Post by stefonia » Jun 13th, '07, 13:12

and try to spot some flaw on that thing you want lol : p

its never a rip off buying things in flea market! :0 which one you think is a rip off!?

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Nov 10th, '07, 10:30

Hanjae wrote:I was born there and lived there for half my life 8D I go back every Christmas as well. Ah you're from Singapore? In that case Hong Kong weather would be NOTHING XD I've been to Singapore once and you literally stand there sweating buckets even in "winter".

Well these days a lot of people in Hong Kong ARE mainlanders, so they'd be speaking Mandarin anyway 8D; If you know a bit of both, you'll be fine in Hong Kong XD

I'm from Sydney O: Not too much variety here, really. And I'm talking about snackfoods and all sorts of other things =P You go to the supermarket here and all you get are Smiths chips and crackers, LOL.
Omigush, Hanjae! I just realized you had posted in the thread I had started and I never even realized... It's fate, didn't know I'd be working with you after a few months and I nv went to Hong Kong wahha...

So you speak Cantonese and can read Chinese characters? How are you? Very busy, right? I haven't heard from you in such a loooooooooong while ..... -_-

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Nov 10th, '07, 10:47

hakkablood wrote:Oh man i spended all night watching hello miss! and saw this post again.. I love hello miss so much got me soo addicted to it trying to get the last ep16 sub.. but yes i speak fluent cantonese. My antcestors are hakka but i don't know how to speak it i wish i do. Hakka is like korean and cantonese mix together if you wanted to know how it sounds like. Im spending about one week in hong kong its really expensive there =D im trying to spend most of my time in guangzhou. Everything is soo cheap food is great , shopping likeyour rich but really you only brought like few thousand with you haha. Atmosphere there is also nice. And most my family lives there. But yeah i don't mind to meeting up im bringing about 5-6 cousin and freinds down there too. Yeah i prefer not don't meeting people from the internet but you never know =D. So your mardarin?
Oooh, this is such a delayed reply but yes, I'm mandarin, as in Chinese but I speak mandarin. I'm frm Singapore actually. Mmm, I'm not going to hong kong in the near future I guess, but I'm going to the USA Yellowstone next May!!!!

kiwi_ichigo

Post by kiwi_ichigo » Jan 12th, '08, 21:28

I'm from Hongkong, too! But I've been living in Germany ever since my 2nd birthday. Seriously, I don't have plans to return to HK unless for vacation. I do speak Cantonese pretty well, at least my relatives told me so, however, I have big problems when I'm there. All those people always talk so fast and I need quite a long time to realize what they're saying. I hope they don't think I'm retarded. XP

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Jan 13th, '08, 08:41

kiwi_ichigo wrote:I'm from Hongkong, too! But I've been living in Germany ever since my 2nd birthday. Seriously, I don't have plans to return to HK unless for vacation. I do speak Cantonese pretty well, at least my relatives told me so, however, I have big problems when I'm there. All those people always talk so fast and I need quite a long time to realize what they're saying. I hope they don't think I'm retarded. XP
WAHAHA, you're cute. Does it mean your entire extended family also moved to Germany? I think they talk very fast too, native Cantonese speakers. Sometimes, their accents are kinda strong and it's harder to understand. Mmm, but I'm sure, with more practice, your Cantonese comprehension skills will definitely improve loads!

asia-cherry

Post by asia-cherry » Jun 15th, '08, 11:43

hi,,
I´ve been in HK last summer 2006 I´m chinese too (cantonese)

asia-cherry

Post by asia-cherry » Jun 15th, '08, 11:44

kiwi_ichigo wrote:I'm from Hongkong, too! But I've been living in Germany ever since my 2nd birthday. Seriously, I don't have plans to return to HK unless for vacation. I do speak Cantonese pretty well, at least my relatives told me so, however, I have big problems when I'm there. All those people always talk so fast and I need quite a long time to realize what they're saying. I hope they don't think I'm retarded. XP
haha,, same too me, but I´m from Holland LOL :P and I´m born in Holland

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Jun 15th, '08, 12:41

Any tips to go to the best places in a 4-day trip? Thanks.

Jackee

Post by Jackee » Dec 29th, '08, 20:35

Lifo wrote:Any tips to go to the best places in a 4-day trip? Thanks.
Mongkok, Causeway Bay for shopping, food ~

you could go to Ngong Ping 360 to see the huge Buddha Statue and the monastery if you're that interested and plus you'll be going up the mountains by electric cable car for a good view of the airport and Tung Chung. You can get there by MTR to Tung CHung and go round the back and you will see Ngong Ping 360 cable cars. cant miss it.

but it depends on what interests you really ^^ dont bother with Disneyland, its not that good

blumage

Post by blumage » Jan 5th, '09, 15:11

i'm half hong konger. But you shouldn't worry much about Hong Kong. It is one of the safest place I know on earth

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Jan 13th, '09, 15:03

You should go to a "wet" market, it's something you don't see in most developed countries, then go to a steak place after. Err, or not, if you are sqeamish or have a delicate stomach!

It is very safe generally, though like any city it has its dodgy areas.