My Travel photos

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jul 27th, '08, 13:56

i took another holiday over to Thailand again this year to see another festival which is very popular with the Thai's. thankfully i planned just right and found a place to stay for the event.

the festival i went to see is the candle festival. shops around Isan are scattered with these. i bought some for myself. 2 candles for £5 [just under 10 dollars for you other folks]

although these candles are small, the big suprise is coming later.

The Monk is cutting the bee's wax moulds which are place one at a time on the model. takes about 2 months or more to create these

the detail is amazing. I asked whoever could speak English whether they follow a plan. answer is no. all from the head!!

Isan dancing

i visited this temple which made this candle as it was behind my room which i rented. imagine there are 25 temples in Ubon Ratchanthani. each temple makes one float. the homes around the temple help in building it etc etc

i was quite drunk as you can possibly imagine

i can eat most things once. i've had this before. grasshoppers ants with chili and far right, silkworm. not to keen on silkworm. bit mushy inside

nothing much left of catterpillers once they're fried
but the thought of eating baby birds put me :pale: off. i just had visions of newborn sparrows
Last edited by wujou_mao on Aug 31st, '08, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

jeffreytaos

beautiful photos and life

Post by jeffreytaos » Aug 3rd, '08, 02:38

I am very impressed with your selection of photos and your experience. I'm englishwithjeffrey.com and have some Korean temple photos on wordpress. Sometime I can send you the links. I am so impressed with your photos. Thank-you for sharing this part of your life. I am from New Mexico. Have a super fantastic day and be well always! There is a Rainbow Gathering in the USA in New Mexico coming July, if you find yourself in the states, and you have refuge in Taos at my place any time. Peace Brother man, and be well!
Attachments
533770a444fc83f62228c.jpg
533770a444fc83f62228c.jpg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 7343 times

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Aug 31st, '08, 12:30

some more Buddha images made of bee's wax

these are a differant shade of yellow. almost reminds me of Marzipan :lol

next i saw the biggest bayon tree is Thailand. its 350 years old and it really is just one tree.

after Isan, i went to Kanchanaburi for the biggest toursit trap ever, but hey, makes a great photo opportunity

zerch

Post by zerch » Oct 18th, '08, 15:11

Wow. What beautiful pictures you have. It really opened my eyes to new cultures and wondrous places. Some landmarks I've seen before, but your pictures really capture the beauty in the mundane.

The "V" in Post Office Bvilding is actually supposed to look like a V. I know a lot of ancient buildings that spell use V instead of U. I'm not exactly sure why, but maybe "U" didn't exist in the Greek/Roman spelling system?

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Nov 9th, '08, 03:27

excellent photos mate.. Well done.
Here are some photos I've taken from my travelling.. just like you, i'm a travel junkie..

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Nov 25th, '08, 17:57

zerch wrote:Wow. What beautiful pictures you have. It really opened my eyes to new cultures and wondrous places. Some landmarks I've seen before, but your pictures really capture the beauty in the mundane.

The "V" in Post Office Bvilding is actually supposed to look like a V. I know a lot of ancient buildings that spell use V instead of U. I'm not exactly sure why, but maybe "U" didn't exist in the Greek/Roman spelling system?
cheers mate, and thanks for your photos Atomic. i can see you have a nack at taking 'real professional' photos where mine are just tourist photos

*EDIT

just a little bonus video which i'll add which i took when i was in Thailand in July 08 for Hols. i showed my mates down the boozer and they just complained about the health and safety of it. lol. click to play

Train Market

Yggdrasil
Fansubber
Fansubber
Great Britain

Re: My Travel photos

Post by Yggdrasil » Apr 3rd, '20, 18:27

Ah, its so nice to see my travel pics still here. I had to register again as i couldnt remember my username or pw to my old email address.

AmyRose
Korea South

Post by AmyRose » May 12th, '20, 06:03

Nice report and thanks for the photos. Now I want to visit Thailand for sure though because of the quarantine I don't know when I'm going to be able to do that. Anyway, if you're still around could you please tell me what should I carry on such a trip? I heard that Thailand has a humid climate and that means there's a ton of bugs, like flies and mosquitoes. I'm afraid of them and diseases they might carry so I decided to do some research and found this advice, I hope this should help.

Yggdrasil
Fansubber
Fansubber
Great Britain

Post by Yggdrasil » May 12th, '20, 17:51

Well for one thing, i'm no longer travelling. I stopped in 2011 or so, although numerous times I went back yearly to the Philippines for a month. As for Thailand and mozzies, unless you're going to go hiking through rain forests, I wouldn't really worry too much about mosquitoes biting you. You could if you really desire, to take anti malarial for 6 months before travelling, so you're body is somewhat immune.

I personally stopped taking my medicine when I found it wasn't needed in the cities. It's only the countryside that you've got to worry. And with this pandemic, I certainly won't be taking any trips abroad for a good while or so.

I'm sure Korea is just as unsafe to visit as anywhere,and I've only been to your country once, way back in 2006 or so.