My Travel photos

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
wujou_mao

My Travel photos

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 22nd, '07, 00:41

as ive been chatting to a fellow english person on the international forums, iv told her where i've traveled. like me, just loves Korea. but unlike her, i have been and she hasnt had the chance yet.

as this topic is about travel, i thought it would be wise to add my photos here [some mind] rather than putting them in the UK forum.

so Funkindagirl, here are some pictures of Loas.
just like Thailand, Laos is a Buddhist country. also, its a very quiet country. no nightlife, a 12 o'clock curfew and just under 670,000 in the capital city
this is called the Vertical runway by the ex-pats, cos the money the yanks gave the laos goverment for a new run-way, they built this heap of crap instead. its very rough up close, with re-bar sticking out all over the shop.

Loas has some glorious countryside, and thats where the poor people live, and the many tribes, like the black thai, who are very shy and would shut themselves inside their houses if you happened to walk into their village.
this is a Black Thai village. only the dog is outside
this is differant i guess. a village by the roadside, and it has eletricity unlike the black thai's.
this are the Plain of Jars. an area of stone jars wither for stonring rice wine or human bodies. many were destroyed by the yanks, as well as most of the country during the '70's.
just be thankful you have a right arm, or you'd find this bridge is a pain in the arse to cross
cart full of lime
found this in a Lao market. never eat the head, but i have eatern dog in another country
roadside food at a bus stop
as you may or may not know, Laos was colonlised by the French. [the 's' is silent] so these buildings are still in use, although you would hardly think so as they have fallen into ruin
eating too much of this plant makes you see things, and makes you go blind. bugger
over filled bus, our 15 hour bus ride winding through the hills on uneven stone. the aslie is full with boxes of rice and other crap. as well as the roof.
and this is what happens when you're not paying attention
paddie field
twin waterfall. it was bloody huge
novel way to catch fish
and the end of the Mekong River near the Cambodian border
what other country would you like to see?

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Sep 22nd, '07, 19:54

what other country would you like to see?
What other countries have you been to. Give us a list so we can choose :)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 22nd, '07, 20:08

Malaysia, Thailand, day trip to Burma for a thai visa run, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, HK, Macao, Korea, Taiwan and the Philippines

ive been to Oz, Brunei, east malayisa and singapore as well, but i've lost my photo CD's sedning back home

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Sep 22nd, '07, 22:00

i haven't seen pics from Macao and barely any pics from Cambodia or Burma so I vote for these three countries, with Macao being on the top of my list.
Ideally i'd say put them all up heh but that would be too much of a hassle.

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 23rd, '07, 00:33

wow laos seems to resemble thailand a lot.
but it seems so strict! not nightlife and there's curfew of 12am?
btw, wot happens if ur caught out about after that time?
and does that mean some people can speak french then?

:lol oh and i just found that comment about the right arm so funny.
i was imagining only having a left arm and trying to cross the bridge, damn difficult.

and eating too much of a plant can make u go blind? thats scary...

ooo! id love to see taiwan next!
thats second on my list after korea for places i hav 2 visit.
and im interested in HK too cos i know it was colonised by the british up until 97...so im curious about the british influences still present there.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 08:15

funkindagirl wrote:wow laos seems to resemble thailand a lot.
but it seems so strict! not nightlife and there's curfew of 12am?
btw, wot happens if ur caught out about after that time?
and does that mean some people can speak french then?

:lol oh and i just found that comment about the right arm so funny.
i was imagining only having a left arm and trying to cross the bridge, damn difficult.

and eating too much of a plant can make u go blind? thats scary...

ooo! id love to see taiwan next!
thats second on my list after korea for places i hav 2 visit.
and im interested in HK too cos i know it was colonised by the british up until 97...so im curious about the british influences still present there.
yes, Laos remindes you of Thailand. The Lao's can understand Thai as they watch Thai tv channels, but that wont work the other way around. maybe only the guides in thailand can speak Laothian.
well we only found out once what happens at 12. the hotel refuses to open to door so you have to find somewhere else to kip. but also, if you arrive in the city early in the morning from your bus ride to extend your visa, no one will open up at 9am let alone the 4am when we arrived.

its strict cos Loas is comminist.

sorry to say this, but i hated HK. its too westernised. so i only have a few pictures.

eblue

Post by eblue » Sep 23rd, '07, 08:37

WOW...that's some very beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to visit Thailand someday...and many other country. :D

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 16:33

Taiwan is such a small island. nothing much to see, but plenty of freedom. but hardly any of the bigger countrys around the world reconize it as its own country. and i found something out, if you travel overland between the borders of Vietnam and china and you're carrying a Lonely Planet China, book, it will be confiscated, as the map of china doesnt include the Island of Taiwan as part of China

you can't take pictures like this in China
Ami tribe girl, and the resturant
Yehliu National Park, just outside Taipei
the 'Q'ueen'. rock formations carved by the sea, wind and rain
view from the tallest completed tower in the world. Dubai tower isnt finished, although its taller than Taipei 101
its built lto look ike square bamboo
Taroko Gorge, east side. valley carved out of solid marble by the chinese, under orders of the Japanese
its the 3rd time its been built as it used to be built of the fault line
take a closer look
saw this sunset on a train
9 dragons immortals bridge
volcanic gas vents
snow in 30' temperture?
salt fields
green Island
green island - spot the sleeping woman and the dog

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:33

u take such amazing pictures...with the sunset, green island and snow pics.
haha kinda expected there would be more buildings than scenery in taiwan.
but i love that bamboo building! haha i think its so fantastic looking.

yeh, i would say america are the no. 1 at not recognising taiwan as its own country... :glare: (oh, and who could forget china itself! :P )
but wow such a little thing as the map of china not including taiwan will be confiscated?
how'd they expect u to find ur way then?? lol
wujou_mao wrote: yes, Laos remindes you of Thailand. The Lao's can understand Thai as they watch Thai tv channels, but that wont work the other way around. maybe only the guides in thailand can speak Laothian.
well we only found out once what happens at 12. the hotel refuses to open to door so you have to find somewhere else to kip. but also, if you arrive in the city early in the morning from your bus ride to extend your visa, no one will open up at 9am let alone the 4am when we arrived.

its strict cos Loas is comminist.

sorry to say this, but i hated HK. its too westernised. so i only have a few pictures.
laothian is a language, oo. never heard that before.
and laos is communist??? no way...hm never been taught that in geog.
my teacher would always say cuba is the only one left purely communist. (and china obviously, but not as strictly)
Last edited by funkindagirl on Sep 23rd, '07, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

sarten

Post by sarten » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:44

awesome pictures!!! =)
sarten has only travel in mexico... never been outside her country =(

sarten

Post by sarten » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:44

awesome pictures!!! =)
sarten has only travel in mexico... never been outside her country =(

georgeyklee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by georgeyklee » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:47

nice pictures. sux things went downhill

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:54

funkindagirl wrote:u take such amazing pictures...with the sunset, green island and snow pics.
haha kinda expected there would be more buildings than scenery in taiwan.
but i love that bamboo building! haha i think its so fantastic looking.
well yes, Taiwan is basically one large island with a concrete jungle, esp on the west side of the island. but i hate concrete jungles. oh, and that picture of the snow isnt snow. its a salt farm :D
funkindagirl wrote: yeh, i would say america are the no. 1 at not recognising taiwan as its own country... :glare: (oh, and who could forget china itself! :P )
but wow such a little thing as the map of china not including taiwan will be confiscated?
how'd they expect u to find ur way then?? lol
maybe thats something they havent thought about or care. they are more pissed off at taiwan cos its indipendant rather than a 'breakaway province'.
funkindagirl wrote: laothian is a language, oo. never heard that before.
and laos is communist??? no way...hm never been taught that in geog.
my teacher would always say cuba is the only one left purely communist. (and china obviously, but not as strictly)
i guess Laothian would be a language, at its what the people in Laos speak. Laos, Vietnam, China, N.Korea is comminist. basically you could call Burma comminst, seeing as you dont have freedom there.

Kity_Kira

Post by Kity_Kira » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:08

Amazing pictures! I feel like grabbing some of them and start painting it. :-) Espeically the one of China (I think) with the bridge, lake/river and rocks...
I dream to travel cause I don't get out much ^_^;;; and takes photos too. But I'm bad at taking photos and won't look as good as yours!
I've only been to Hong Kong, it's a surprise that you haven't been to Japan, cause it's quite popular.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:09

as i said, i disliked HK, mainly cos there isnt much to see. its a modern city and kowloon is just like the streets of London. too many indians pestering you for a 'copy watch' 'copy watch'. indian girls looking for customers with their black pimp boyfriends looking over at you. only stayed in Kowloon cos thats where the backpacker area is. HK island would be rather expensive.

its like an opening scene from Police story
strange fruit. i dont know what it is. do you know funkindagirl?
biggest Buddha in HK
forgot where this was, but i seemed to remember saying Kung hei fat choi to an old man and his face beamed. felt good
someone forgot what a ''U'' looks like
HK Harbour

Macao. i only went there on a day trip. least i got a banknote and a stamp in my passport
as well

year of the dog. now you know what year i was there

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:14

Kity_Kira wrote:Amazing pictures! I feel like grabbing some of them and start painting it. :-) Espeically the one of China (I think) with the bridge, lake/river and rocks...
I dream to travel cause I don't get out much ^_^;;; and takes photos too. But I'm bad at taking photos and won't look as good as yours!
I've only been to Hong Kong, it's a surprise that you haven't been to Japan, cause it's quite popular.
that would be Taiwan. its not part of China, although china seems to think it is :roll
pacman99 wrote:i haven't seen pics from Macao and barely any pics from Cambodia or Burma so I vote for these three countries, with Macao being on the top of my list.
Ideally i'd say put them all up heh but that would be too much of a hassle.
ok, ive put Macho up on the other page. cambodia and Burma next

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:28

wujou_mao wrote:ok, ive put Macho up on the other page. cambodia and Burma next
Thanks a lot! Like the others have said, you seem to have an eye for photography. I'd put pics of my travels up too but they probably won't compare to yours and they're of the middle east and south asia rather than east asia :(
I was curious though. What line of work do you pursue that allows you to save up enough money and get enough vacation time to travel so much?

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:30

seen lots of pics of the HK harbour cos its so well known, and its absolutely beautiful looking at night with all the lights.
its gives me the same feeling of being in malaysia at night looking at the twin towers.

HAHAHA i dont have a clue what it is, its the strangest looking fruit ive ever seen but so cute. did u try some?
:lol ''post office bVilding''?? wot an odd mistake to make...& i cnt think y it would be intentional.
but actually it seems strange they would point out its a building, 'post office' seems fine enough.
oo and that first picture feels so claustrophobic just looking at it. :blink

oh and btw, d'you know actually how long the 9 dragons immortal bridge is? i would like to walk on it =D

wujou_mao wrote: well yes, Taiwan is basically one large island with a concrete jungle, esp on the west side of the island. but i hate concrete jungles. oh, and that picture of the snow isnt snow. its a salt farm :D

maybe thats something they havent thought about or care. they are more pissed off at taiwan cos its indipendant rather than a 'breakaway province'.

i guess Laothian would be a language, at its what the people in Laos speak. Laos, Vietnam, China, N.Korea is comminist. basically you could call Burma comminst, seeing as you dont have freedom there.
well taiwan isnt a country id visit for the scenery anyway, just to experience busy city life, so i guess its ok for me.
oo a salt farm?? whereabouts in taiwan is it? i HAVE to visit that

yeh, i heard china even offered TW the same status as HK but they declined. good on them!

oh yeh...lol N.Korea completely flew outta my head...how could i 4get
my business teacher is stupid, she says cuba are the only commuinists left...

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 20:08

funkindagirl wrote:well taiwan isnt a country id visit for the scenery anyway, just to experience busy city life, so i guess its ok for me.
oo a salt farm?? whereabouts in taiwan is it? i HAVE to visit that
go to Vietnam then. i have video's of the traffic that will make your jaw drop

ok, Burma. we all know about what the goverment is like. i only found out about burma a year ago. as you may know Funkindagirl, Malaysia KL has lots of Burmese people living there. their country is called Mynamar, but its still burma to me. these few pictures here are in a place near Mae Sod in Thailand. infact, the town of Mae sod has more burmese living there than Thai's. at least here they can earn money nad be free from the goverment.
i'm also sorry to say i havent, and will not enter Burma to visit. i'm very upset at what the goverment is doing to its people and the 'the lady', Aung san suu kyi. although i had to enter Burma for a day pass and pay ther goverment $5, i wanted another month stay in Thailand, and going back down to Malaysia for an hour and coming up again wastes 2 days.
but i'm also sad for the people, so when i visited the Burmese town, i stayed 5 hours, walked 24km and eat in any run down cafe to give them my money, and to give them a suprise. i had 12 people look and stare at me while i eat, but i never felt threatened.

these girls were giggly, till i asked them for a photo. they nodded, but sat rigit. only laughed again when i showed them their picture.
nice back garden. least the rubbish is all in one spot
Burma left, Thailand - Mae sod right
say no to drugs

ok, these following pictures are from Thailand, but they are Burmese temples, so that why i decided to put them here. i'll add the Thai pictures if someone asks

something about Burmese Buddha's makes them more attractive than other Buddha's iv seen
Balancing Rock stupa in Mae Sod.
This Strange Burmese temple is towards the 3 Pagodas pass. border of Thailand and Burma
longest woden bridge in Thailand. its also home to Burmese Mon and Karen Ethnic groups.
its the burning brush season. man it was tough walking up a hill for 10 mins
another shot of the bridge
pacman99 wrote:
Thanks a lot! Like the others have said, you seem to have an eye for photography. I'd put pics of my travels up too but they probably won't compare to yours and they're of the middle east and south asia rather than east asia :(
I was curious though. What line of work do you pursue that allows you to save up enough money and get enough vacation time to travel so much?
why the glum face? we all love to see them

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Sep 23rd, '07, 20:26

your photos are amazing, they make me want to pack my bags and travel right now...im currently at uni in the horrible rainy north of england and the photos are making me soooo want to not be here loll!!

Upload more!!! (if its not too much trouble) im fascinated!!!

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Sep 23rd, '07, 21:00

wujou_mao wrote:why the glum face? we all love to see them
lol cuz they're not east-asia! Anyways thanks for putting up Burma. Looking at pictures like this makes Canada seem so boring. That trash pile in Burma reminds me of Pakistan though hehe.
Were the people that poor though? Did anyone understand english or was communication limited to sign language?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 21:26

pacman99 wrote:
wujou_mao wrote:why the glum face? we all love to see them
lol cuz they're not east-asia! Anyways thanks for putting up Burma. Looking at pictures like this makes Canada seem so boring. That trash pile in Burma reminds me of Pakistan though hehe.
Were the people that poor though? Did anyone understand english or was communication limited to sign language?
well i found Loas was worse. everyone chucking rubbish out of the window, even baby's nappy's.
yes, Burma is poor. read about it on wiki. some people i guess would speak english, namely the touts or goverment soilders. buddist Karen rebel Monks did anyway.
i could only say Min go la baa which meant hello, but unless you say it correctly, it wouldnt make much sense. as for sign language, i wasnt in the country long enough to talk. i was only pasing through so i could get another 30 day stay in Thailand. when i bought food, i'd just lift up the saucepan lids and look inside. smile, point. no point in asking what it is cos of the language barrier.
and Burma used to be a British Conoly, so Aung San Suu Kyi can speak perfect english. look her up too.
i'll upload cambodia tomorrow after work.

emrams

Post by emrams » Sep 23rd, '07, 22:27

Very beatiful pictures. I loved them. I just wanted to point out that the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada is taller that the Taipei 101 by almost 50 m. It currently holds the record of tallest free standing builiding in the world, I guess until the one in Dubai is done. Just wanted to be patriotic there for a second. Please upload more pics if you can, I love them. You must have an awesome camera.

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 24th, '07, 18:22

wujou_mao wrote:
go to Vietnam then. i have video's of the traffic that will make your jaw drop

ok, Burma. we all know about what the goverment is like. i only found out about burma a year ago. as you may know Funkindagirl, Malaysia KL has lots of Burmese people living there. their country is called Mynamar, but its still burma to me. these few pictures here are in a place near Mae Sod in Thailand. infact, the town of Mae sod has more burmese living there than Thai's. at least here they can earn money nad be free from the goverment.
i'm also sorry to say i havent, and will not enter Burma to visit. i'm very upset at what the goverment is doing to its people and the 'the lady', Aung san suu kyi. although i had to enter Burma for a day pass and pay ther goverment $5, i wanted another month stay in Thailand, and going back down to Malaysia for an hour and coming up again wastes 2 days.
but i'm also sad for the people, so when i visited the Burmese town, i stayed 5 hours, walked 24km and eat in any run down cafe to give them my money, and to give them a suprise. i had 12 people look and stare at me while i eat, but i never felt threatened.
traffic that bad? d'you mind showing?
well havent really wanted to visit vietnam, not a country thats really interests me.
and in taiwan id be able to communicate more easily and get free housing cos my auntie has a house there. =D
sorry i know my knowledge on burma is very limited, but what is the gov. doing to its people?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 24th, '07, 21:14

raping, killing the villagers, purging its people, putting Aung san suu kyi under house arrest for 11 years cos she won the country's vote, not the goverment. go to http://www.irrawaddy.org

ok, someone asked for Cambodia's pictures. not really a great deal in Cambodia. plenty of ruins.
Erm, its broke....
very steep stairs
royal palace in capital city
quiet beach
the great Ankor Wat
hold on tight
mending the road stone at a time ...with a line

what country would you like to see next? we seen burma, taiwan, cambodia, and Laos
funkindagirl wrote:[ traffic that bad? d'you mind showing?
click this. quality isnt good as 1, i've uploaded it to photobucket, and 2, it was my old Canon IXUXi5

Last edited by wujou_mao on Sep 24th, '07, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Sep 24th, '07, 21:38

Nice pictures! You seem enjoying traveling so much. You should have your own online journal to keep all these photos. Have you been to Malaysia and Indonesia? I wanted to know more about those two countries.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 24th, '07, 21:41

lightsoul wrote:Nice pictures! You seem enjoying traveling so much. You should have your own online journal to keep all these photos. Have you been to Malaysia and Indonesia? I wanted to know more about those two countries.
finished traveling now bud. and yes, been to Malaysia, but not Indonesia

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Sep 24th, '07, 21:45

wujou_mao wrote:
finished traveling now bud. and yes, been to Malaysia, but not Indonesia
Really? Nice....I would like to see amazing photos of yours in Malaysia. I'll visit there too someday. I hope..

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 24th, '07, 21:54

might as well put up Korea for others while i'm here, seeing as most poeple on this site likes japanese and korean drama

1st day in Korea.
changing of the guard, period style
Jedu Island
Dae JangGuem was filmed here, as well as other period drama's
clean streets
North gate
floating stone cap Buddha
nice garden eh
seen The four gods drama? this is in the 1st episode. its a lava cave on Jedu Island
these kids have no quarms about knocking them over. a Buddha's theroy about the universe and religious idea's
Gwangchoksa the Buddha from the future
Dae Jang Guem Theme park. the kitchen
the vinager episode
seen 'Emperor of the sea'? location of the 'dock'

angelcoolz

Post by angelcoolz » Sep 25th, '07, 10:53

nice photographs...i would love to travel around like you...
please post more pictures in whatever country you visited...they're all amazing..
what is the top 3 favourite country will be on your list??.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 25th, '07, 20:34

angelcoolz wrote:nice photographs...i would love to travel around like you...
please post more pictures in whatever country you visited...they're all amazing..
what is the top 3 favourite country will be on your list??.
1. Korea
2. Philippines
3. Thailand

so here's some pictures of Malaysia.its quiet modern compared to thailand and above
Sarawak tribe park or something.
visitng my Friends Grandma. she is Iban tribe, so staying in a longhouse
jungle leaf
believe it or not, it says Private Property
Camaron highlands
Mossy forest
the biggest flower in the world, the Raflesia..although this one is dying
Kuching
Penang
Alor Star. most people were honking theit horns, and i didnt know it was for me till someone smiled and waved. Kampang
Kellie's Castle - Ipoh
its said to be haunted, but thats just to scare people or bring people here. no one died in the house. Kellie Smith died in Lisbon waiting for a lift for his castle in 1929, then his wife and kids moved back to Scotland

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 25th, '07, 20:46

Thaipusan Festival Feb 1 - Malaysia. this festival is banned in India so i have been told
I went to see the Fireflies in Kualar Selengor, but no photographs cos you wont be able to see the fireflies with camera flash. besides, it was raining.
have a break, have a Kit-Kat
mamma and baby
Blue Mosque, Shar Alam
the Mosque is the biggest in Asia, and can hold as many as 25,000 people
KL, chinatown
these pictures are not Malaysia. taken from 39,000 feet while flying back to UK.
looks like giant footprints

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Sep 26th, '07, 00:30

what camera have u been using to get such great pics? My fujifilm f31fd can't even come close.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 26th, '07, 04:47

pacman99 wrote:what camera have u been using to get such great pics? My fujifilm f31fd can't even come close.
all previous photos including the photos of the indian festival were taken with Canon Ixus 65 6 million pixels and the malay photos onwards from the blue Mosque is from my Pentax Optio A30 10 million pixels

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Sep 26th, '07, 05:11

awww gosh darn, I really want to go.
Where are your Thailand pics?
I remember Thailand it was so beautiful, but so many shady people trying to pimp out their girls.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 26th, '07, 16:19

nophankh wrote:awww gosh darn, I really want to go.
Where are your Thailand pics?
I remember Thailand it was so beautiful, but so many shady people trying to pimp out their girls.
i was in Thailand for a total of 5 months, but spread over 2 years. the longest i was there was 3 months feb - may 07
Ayutthuta, old capital of Thailand
went of a 4X4 off road driving for 3 days/nights.

market food. yum
flying ants and onions
something for you to chuckle at
do you like spicy food?

ever seen a rabbit with a dress on before?

will upload rest tomorrow

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 27th, '07, 19:28

Songkran - the best new year i have ever had in Asia. [christmas in philippines was ****. sorry to say. no mince pies, no christmas dinner, no christmas pudding, no christmas crackers. just felt like any other day :(]

so songkran, its one big water fight for 5 days, with people getting trigger happy 2 days before and after the event. if you're in bangkok, this festival would last a day. if in the sticks, it lasted 8 days.
the last day, the traffic was moving, but at snails pace, a good way to get drenched with ice cold water while stuck in traffic
beer, music, dancing in the stret, knowing full well tomorrow the festival is over till next year

there is rather a disturbing story to these pictures, one that i had the please to expericance :D
left side is Thailand, till the line of trees which is [Burma] Mynamar. right side of river, [Burma] Mynamar

this little mishap happened 22/4/07 when i was in Maesai. i looked in LP and decided that the nicest place to stay would be in the maesai guest house, with nice views to burma, just 50 foot away [closer in some places] so close, you can almost touch it. as i like walking, and wandering places, not touristy areas etc, i remember my book said there are some intresting walking trails behind maesai guest house. so off i trot, walk the path out of the guesthouse, and chipped right. didnt think of anything when i saw the thai ranger army guardhouse. they never looked up. one was reading, the other cooking on a stove. i walked over to the fence, to have a gander at burma on the other side of the water. then i carried walking along the well walked path. some burmese people [which i noticed were burmese cos of the face powder on their cheeks.

hello, where are you going they said

min go la ba. [hello] for a walk i said. i carried on, through the barbed waire fence, again, never took any attention. i noticed that the gate had folded back, and grass and weeds were growing through, besides the path was well worn after all. 2 k's down the track, i saw a bridge in the distance from the burma side to the 'thai' side. i wondered why so. even more so when i saw burmese lettering on the top of the iron poles over the bridge.

a man naked, apart from camaflarged shorts said hello and come here, sit down. i said hi,, but no thanks. i just would like some water [Yei] which i found in the icebox. the shop was small with the normal sort of nicnacks you get in any shop in the middle of no where. i noticed the bottle again had burmese lettering, so i asked the question i was dreading. with a finger pointing to the earth, i asked Burma???

yes he said. me eyes widened, to which he saw, and said GO! GO!, and did the moving motion with his hands. i gave him 20 baht for the water, not bothering to ask for 15 bhat back. i just wanted to get back the way i came. how can you look carm, when you know you are in serious shtoom?

i dont know why, but the thai army rangers still never looked up, although there were 5 now, and one was still reading a book. i was gone for 30 or 40 mins, and it was about 4.30 pm when i got back to the rangers. they cant be idiots. there is no where else i could of gone in 30 mins apart from taking an illigeal walk to burma.

i'm very luckly i didnt get caught, mainly from the burmese, as when i was in burma in next day , i took the road parallel to thailand to the end of the village checkpoint, near the bridge, and i noticed that it had a a few huts, some depressed junta with guns and didnt look friendly. beyond that, was the bridge. i can quite thankfully say i was very lucky

that road with Maesai guesthouse ends right there. after that its burma. maybe i should of paid more attention. i thought if it was no entry, at least i would be told off by the rangers, or said that, a notice at the barbed fence to warn this is now burma beyond that point. i jus assumed that burma would be on the other side of the water all along [not really paying much attention to the map of chiang rai province, did i notice maesai GH is on the edge of the 'top Northern most edge of thailand'

and here's is the barbed wire fence to separate Burma and Thailand :crazy:
someone likes english football :thumleft:
so this is what i thought was thailand and burma across the water. oh how wrong i was. :unsure:

this is the oldest Laos temple in Thailand. the temple caved in during heavy rain some years back, so its been restored
and this temple, its a copy of a temple in India. cant remember which province this is in tho.
have some kip - ZzZzZz
if the bird at the front looks familur, its Garuda
lotus seeds. you can eat them, although some seeds are a tad bitter
insects - taste good with a beer, not for breakfast :D
larvae
Last edited by wujou_mao on Sep 27th, '07, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

julicar23

Post by julicar23 » Sep 27th, '07, 20:03

wujou_mao wrote:Songkran - the best new year i have ever had in Asia. [christmas in philippines was ****. sorry to say. no mince pies, no christmas dinner, no christmas pudding, no christmas crackers. just felt like any other day :(]

so songkran, its one big water fight for 5 days, with people getting trigger happy 2 days before and after the event. if you're in bangkok, this festival would last a day. if in the sticks, it lasted 8 days.
the last day, the traffic was moving, but at snails pace, a good way to get drenched with ice cold water while stuck in traffic
beer, music, dancing in the stret, knowing full well tomorrow the festival is over till next year

there is rather a disturbing story to these pictures, one that i had the please to expericance :D
left side is Thailand, till the line of trees which is [Burma] Mynamar. right side of river, [Burma] Mynamar

this little mishap happened 22/4/07 when i was in Maesai. i looked in LP and decided that the nicest place to stay would be in the maesai guest house, with nice views to burma, just 50 foot away [closer in some places] so close, you can almost touch it. as i like walking, and wandering places, not touristy areas etc, i remember my book said there are some intresting walking trails behind maesai guest house. so off i trot, walk the path out of the guesthouse, and chipped right. didnt think of anything when i saw the thai ranger army guardhouse. they never looked up. one was reading, the other cooking on a stove. i walked over to the fence, to have a gander at burma on the other side of the water. then i carried walking along the well walked path. some burmese people [which i noticed were burmese cos of the face powder on their cheeks.

hello, where are you going they said

min go la ba. [hello] for a walk i said. i carried on, through the barbed waire fence, again, never took any attention. i noticed that the gate had folded back, and grass and weeds were growing through, besides the path was well worn after all. 2 k's down the track, i saw a bridge in the distance from the burma side to the 'thai' side. i wondered why so. even more so when i saw burmese lettering on the top of the iron poles over the bridge.

a man naked, apart from camaflarged shorts said hello and come here, sit down. i said hi,, but no thanks. i just would like some water [Yei] which i found in the icebox. the shop was small with the normal sort of nicnacks you get in any shop in the middle of no where. i noticed the bottle again had burmese lettering, so i asked the question i was dreading. with a finger pointing to the earth, i asked Burma???

yes he said. me eyes widened, to which he saw, and said GO! GO!, and did the moving motion with his hands. i gave him 20 baht for the water, not bothering to ask for 15 bhat back. i just wanted to get back the way i came. how can you look carm, when you know you are in serious shtoom?

i dont know why, but the thai army rangers still never looked up, although there were 5 now, and one was still reading a book. i was gone for 30 or 40 mins, and it was about 4.30 pm when i got back to the rangers. they cant be idiots. there is no where else i could of gone in 30 mins apart from taking an illigeal walk to burma.

i'm very luckly i didnt get caught, mainly from the burmese, as when i was in burma in next day , i took the road parallel to thailand to the end of the village checkpoint, near the bridge, and i noticed that it had a a few huts, some depressed junta with guns and didnt look friendly. beyond that, was the bridge. i can quite thankfully say i was very lucky

that road with Maesai guesthouse ends right there. after that its burma. maybe i should of paid more attention. i thought if it was no entry, at least i would be told off by the rangers, or said that, a notice at the barbed fence to warn this is now burma beyond that point. i jus assumed that burma would be on the other side of the water all along [not really paying much attention to the map of chiang rai province, did i notice maesai GH is on the edge of the 'top Northern most edge of thailand'

and here's is the barbed wire fence to separate Burma and Thailand

christmas here in the Philippines is not that bad. maybe in provinces because they celebrate it inside their homes, most likely quiet, but in Metro Manila christmas is also fun but not that noisy, because filipinos are very religious and were christians and we do stuffs on christmas day (Christ birthday) like praying altogether and eating noche buena and its our time or bonding time with our family.. new year's the noisiest and there's fireworks also. where are you on that day? ... Christmas here in Manila is not that boring but parents are little strict, they won't let you go outside because of the "paputok" there's fire crackers everywhere even if it is the time where you have to celebrate Jesus' birthday....
by the way, do you have pictures taken here in the Phils.while you're here...I wish to see your photos if it's okay with you? :)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 27th, '07, 20:14

julicar23 wrote:christmas here in the Philippines is not that bad. maybe in provinces because they celebrate it inside their homes, most likely quiet, but in Metro Manila christmas is also fun but not that noisy, because filipinos are very religious and were christians and we do stuffs on christmas day (Christ birthday) like praying altogether and eating noche buena and its our time or bonding time with our family.. new year's the noisiest and there's fireworks also. where are you on that day? ... Christmas here in Manila is not that boring but parents are little strict, they won't let you go outside because of the "paputok" there's fire crackers everywhere even if it is the time where you have to celebrate Jesus' birthday....
i spent last years Christmas on Malapascua Island, Cebu. but then even on boxing day in Cebu, a foreignern owned eatery didnt have a 'Christmas Dinner' on the menu
julicar23 wrote:by the way, do you have pictures taken here in the Phils.while you're here...I wish to see your photos if it's okay with you? :)
oo. once i've finished with Thailand i'll put up, but it wont be till tomorrow night

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 27th, '07, 20:48

White Temple, Chiang Rai - right of the tourist trail
oldest reliefs in Thailand. the reliefs are on the edge of a cliff, overlooking modern day cambodia. but years ago, this part of thailand was once cambodia
so round here, there is Phrae Vihear Temple. the only access is by road, from the Thai side, so you basically go into cambodia on a day pass to see the ruins
the Khmer Rouge were still fighting the camodian goverment up here in the late 90's
anyone Buddhist here? can anyone explain why these sticks are placed inder the rocks
look closer. does the clouds look like the image of thundercats?

bridge over the river Kwai
Lopburi moneky temple
say Thanks

Buriam province

Yasothon Rocket restival - if you guys have seen the Thai film Dynamite warrior, this film is based on the rocket festival
homemade rockets shoot upwards 1000's of feet. this is the daddy, 120 KG's of niterate
platforms for the rockets. taks 45 mins to set it in place and light the fuse
and now, click this image for a video of the rocket

largest teak temple in Thailand. bad news its in Pattaya

julicar23

Post by julicar23 » Sep 27th, '07, 21:14

okay... thanks :)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 29th, '07, 20:50

just like Thailand, iv been to Philippines about 3 times in spread over 2 years of backpacking in Asia..
bohol Chocolate hills, or tears of 2 dead giants
smallest monkey - taisher
1st time seeing a pig spit roasted. i was at my X- bird's place in Gingoog. thats pronounced Hing-o-og or something simular. not Gin-goog as i tried to say it
Bagiou
Taal volcano
chinese-filipino graveyard in chinatown area of Manila
Sagada
bit of a squeeze
banaue [banawe]
Cebu
Malapasua Island
never be coconut collector
Last edited by wujou_mao on Sep 29th, '07, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 29th, '07, 21:14

beautiful coloured fish
sunset on Malapasua Island
Negros Occ - Silay's European Colonal Sugar cane houses
sugar cane lorries are far as the eye can see
we dont get bamboo this large in UK
need a few rubbish bins for the waste material
Jeepeny
not Religious, just love old buildings. this church is made out of coral blocks
and so is this one

rice drying. guess no one cares about exhaust fumes then...
Tinglayan
went to see the tribal cave Mummies
and our guide asked if we wanted to lift him out!
look menacing kids right?
Kalinga
Francis - my guide
look at his toes
very shy kids who would sneek up behind me but would cower round the corner if i turned to them
look what 20 mins does to them.. :-)
Francis Uncle's burial. look closely. thats a chicken upside down on a rope. the woman contiunes to bang the sticks together till the casket is sealed. then free's the chook
slaughered bull. missed the slaughter by 5 mins
Francis Mum. she is a headhunter tribe, as everone else is in the villages. not so much head hunting goes on about these days.
my last day here. trapped for 3 days cos of monsoon, and day i wanted to leave, roads washed out. needed ATM, so Vigan was my next point of call. walked for hours with 25kg on my back

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 29th, '07, 21:41

another colourful Jeepney
funny story to this. i bought a burger but she ran out of red sauce. she got this packet out of the fridge and i laughed at her cos i told her it looks like a blood bag :lol
Vigan
you could almost say you stumbled into a spanish town. glad to see it survied the american bombing of WWII
Cagsawa Church - Bicol
Matnog
very friendly people. felt famous for 3 hours. i know what its like to be mobbed now crowds of people
Singulog 07

Simple_Insecurities

Post by Simple_Insecurities » Sep 29th, '07, 22:54

mm.. if you guys want pictures of hong kong & macau..
I actually have quite a lot from my trip this past summer
they aren't as good as wujou_mao's
cause well.. my camera sucks uber...
it's like.. 5 years old? but either way...
as wujou_mao said... Hong Kong is truely westernized..
but I love hong kong >.<.. it's a beautiful city..
the shopping's great.. and the night life is crazy..
but yeah.. just lemme know if you want to see them...

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 29th, '07, 23:06

Simple_Insecurities wrote:mm.. if you guys want pictures of hong kong & macau..
I actually have quite a lot from my trip this past summer
they aren't as good as wujou_mao's
cause well.. my camera sucks uber...
it's like.. 5 years old? but either way...
as wujou_mao said... Hong Kong is truely westernized..
but I love hong kong >.<.. it's a beautiful city..
the shopping's great.. and the night life is crazy..
but yeah.. just lemme know if you want to see them...
sure, i'll like to see some more of HK, cos what i had seen wasnt what i had seen in HK movies. i even expected to see junk ships in the dock, but they had all gone. last one i think got burnt

as for my pictures of the philippines, sorry if they seem boring to you, cos they are only people shots. but the filipino's just love to be photographed and are happy to just jump into any photo. also it captures the moment of what the people are like. as i said before, i'm not a beach person, so you won't find any pictures of Boracy here.

ok, the only countrys i have left to pop up if anyone is intrested is Viet Nam and China

Simple_Insecurities

Post by Simple_Insecurities » Oct 9th, '07, 00:18

k i'll try my best top get them up asap..
with the whole downtime with d-addicts
[i have to say i went a bit crazy.. u know..
drawing circles in the sand in the corner and all haha jk]
and how i just started class again last week.. it's been a bit hectic..
i have 700+ pictures form there so yeah >.<..

and did you guys want to see pictures from disneyland there?
[its shitty dont go.. its a waste of money]
and macau?

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Oct 9th, '07, 10:28

Simple_Insecurities wrote:and did you guys want to see pictures from disneyland there?
[its shitty dont go.. its a waste of money]
and macau?
sure, why not. It'll help me convince my sister not to go to disneyland in hk (that's kind of one of the top things on her list that she wants to do there :()

pacman99

Post by pacman99 » Oct 9th, '07, 10:30

wujou_mao wrote:ok, the only countrys i have left to pop up if anyone is intrested is Viet Nam and China
one vote for posting vietnam and china (which part of china?)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Oct 9th, '07, 13:57

pacman99 wrote: one vote for posting vietnam and china (which part of china?)
As Paul Daniels would say, 'not a lot'

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Dec 15th, '07, 10:59

pacman99 wrote:
we'd love to see your photos of the middle east and what do i do for a job? saffolding, but i saved hard for years.

redbean

Post by redbean » Dec 26th, '07, 14:08

Halong Bay (Hanoi, Vietnam)

Tam Coc

Sung Sot Grotto

Junks

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Dec 26th, '07, 16:48

so you been to Ha Long bay too then? and that cave looks familur. btw, i went to a few caves in Viet Nam and i went to Phong Nha
Last edited by wujou_mao on Dec 27th, '07, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

redbean

Post by redbean » Dec 27th, '07, 02:12

wujou_mao wrote:so you been to holong bay too then? and that cave looks familur. btw, i went to a few caves in Vietnam and i went to Phong Nha
Halong Bay is stunning. I would love to go there again. Could you post pics of your trip to Phong Nha?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Dec 27th, '07, 09:50

redbean wrote:Halong Bay is stunning. I would love to go there again. Could you post pics of your trip to Phong Nha?
Unfortunatly the time i was traveling around in Vietnam was Autumn time. not a good year for reasons of lots of fog, mist and the rivers leading to the caves were bursting their banks. wrong time of year to go. so my chinese photos are all but depressing.

here are a few of my photos of Vietnam. it was still fairly warm here as i crossed over from cambodia, but 52 days later, it was cold as soon as you crossed the border into china. strange really. anyway, i cant remember where these falls were. but they look lovely
some differant pictures of buddah
i like the look of this one. it was in a vietnamese culture park off the beatern track, and not in lonely planet
temple walls plastered with broken bottles
many designs made from chinese looking china bowls. these resemble chinese dragons
crusing along [Shane up front]
some Khmer loking temple on the coast. its not My Son Temple
i have to say we never popped into this rather strange craft. i hadn't even remotely even thought a thing like this would exsist.
next time i'll try, there is always a next time

streets flooded here, major
Image]
this part of town escaped the rising water

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 13th, '08, 20:02

went of one of thoese dredded bike tours. really hate them, as you find the bikers take you to the touristy places, like Marble Mountain
still, you get to see how rice noodles are made, even if its child labour involved
or to see silk worms doing what they do best

this is My Son temple. another Khmer looking temple in the middle of north and south. not much to look at, and its rather run down.
the bike tours said dont bother, but i make my own mind up. still wanted to see it
walked for hours up a mountain slope to find this in a cave

large temple area, most of it is been destroyed during the war. looks nice with the moat
got mobbed by vietnamese girls who had come to another temple to pray
Ho Chi Minh was on holiday in russia getting his anual makeover. so it was closed for the duration

the only place i seemed to remember the name of in Vietnam, and the place i loved the most. Sapa.
got of the bus and was asked in amazing english if we wanted a room for the night. these hill tribe girls work as guides,
so they are not as shy as the ones who are not in the industry. these girls, we had met the night before in the only happening bar in town
took us on a FREE tour of their countryside. normally you would have to go on a tour and pay some dollars.
all they needed was 2 days worth of food for their trouble.
Sapa was also my 1st time of seeing rice terraces, so Sapa is still the best, even tho there are some fab ones in China and Philippines

i'm still camera shy, i know it would of been better from the other direction, but not everyone likes their photo taken, and ask for money instead, which complety spoils the moment
This isnt Sapa, its another town, less touristy, but every satuday its colourful as the hill tribes wear their tradional outfits. again, i'm camera shy

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 13th, '08, 20:36

went to see some caves. were put on the wrong tour lol. still saw something for the day.
must be knackering to row the boat all day
reminds you of Gualin in china if it has a river running through it
now that is what you call balance. i cant even stand in a boat when its fastened to the pier :lol and these guys are standing while its moving,
and the rim is touching the water. :w00t:

who's scared of spiders? bit stupid i know. we both got up real close to this, and we wasnt even sure if it was dangerous. what a knob

looks like bulls horns, but its a type of nut
rambutan. bloody expensive in UK cos its imported. 6 will cost you about $6
you want some copy shoes that will hurt your feet?

rice on a barge, going to a floating market
more rambutan
dont be squeamish anyone thats not asian. trust me, it tastes better than it looks, and its ...
pig brain!
everyday traffic in Vietnam. blown away by the sheer volume of it. hardly any cars or trucks etc. just mountains and mountains of bikes.
on you marks, get set..
GO!!, even when the traffic is stil coming from the right. bollocks!!!

redbean

Post by redbean » Jan 31st, '08, 14:11

wujou_mao,

Thanks for uploading those amazing photos.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 31st, '08, 18:21

redbean wrote:wujou_mao,

Thanks for uploading those amazing photos.
no worries mate. do you have any more photos of where you went on hols, or where you reside?

redbean

Taipei

Post by redbean » Feb 4th, '08, 10:58

TAIPEI

Computex 2007 Exhibition Hall

Danshui - Fisherman's Wharf

Ilan County - Turtle Island

Long Shan Temple

Taipei 101 (Hmm.... Marry Me? Diana)

Huge Winter Melons

Stinky Tofus

Steamboat at Taihodien Restaurant

Meat Dumplings

wujou_mao, I hope you don't mind me posting photos of food and I don't know how to resize the pics. Sorry :-)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Feb 4th, '08, 17:38

no worries redbean. i use ACDSee to resize my photos [and the retouch 'em a lil bit] sure, i don't mind the food photos, but just one question about the food, its stinky tofu. do you love the smell/taste or does it make you chuck? for a westerner like me, smelling stinky tofu in Beijing made me really ill, and i blamed it on something else, till somone said it was food. so please, dont take offence if it sounds like i just said something out of turn.

turtle island would look better when the sun is out and the sky clear. i supose you could really see the hump of the shell.

somewhere in amongst my 20,000 photos, i have a picture of an island i nicknamed Buddah island. but i can't remember if it was taken in Taiwan or Philippines.

redbean

Post by redbean » Feb 6th, '08, 07:28

Well, the stinky tofus are.... hmm..... real stinky. Tried it but I don't like the taste but I like the sour cabbage that comes with it.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Feb 6th, '08, 21:21

redbean wrote:Well, the stinky tofus are.... hmm..... real stinky. Tried it but I don't like the taste but I like the sour cabbage that comes with it.
i never tasted it. who would want to eat something that smells like sewage is beyond me :crazy: . there was a simular smell when i visited Vietnam. some sort of stinky herb used in the soup. i was staying in a guesthouse in Saigon and the smell was rising upwards from below. As i was checking out, i tried to keep myself from throwing up, but still coughing and reaching as you do :D

redbean

Post by redbean » Mar 14th, '08, 06:10

Malaysia's Teh Tarik (Pulled Tea)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 14th, '08, 17:45

where about was the photo taken Redbean? any more photos from malaysia/boreno?

i tended to stay away from all manners of milky tea when i was away and only drunk chinese tea or bottled tea as i dislike UHT. i find it quite gashtly and i prefer normal milk straight from the udder

redbean

Post by redbean » Mar 15th, '08, 08:22

wujou_mao, that photo was taken in Kuala Lumpur. Boreno? Did you mean Brunei?

I like tea (with or without milk) more than coffee. Have you tried Vietnamese coffee? It's pretty strong.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 15th, '08, 18:54

i have been to mainland Malaysia and Malaysia boreno, Sarawak. [as well as brunei for a night]. i think i should of asked weather if it was West or East Malaysia that the photo was taken.

no, havent tasted viet coffee. sorry redbean, i dislike any coffee

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 21st, '08, 22:06

My photos of China were taken end of november 05 to end of jan 06

travelled over from vietnam to Nanning and found this in the shower which really cracked me up.
i didnt see anymore Chinglish till later on.
next we went to Guilin. great nightlife there. but rather cold compared to Vietnam which was only 2 days ago. so i bet this water was propper freezing
i also had a T-shirt printed as i missed my japanese 'Baka Gaijin' one which got slightly ruined in Thailand. think this was at the top of fairy temple, but don't know where
Went to Longsheng to see the dragon's backbone rice terraces, but due to the fog and mist we stayed in the valley for 3 days and saw nowt. cold showers didnt last long i can tell you. you'l hardly gonna smell of BO when its this cold. the day we left, we saw just how stunning this looks in the summer
compared to this which was yesterday at 10am
went and visited the town where the women have the longest hair in the world. i hear its in the guinnes book of records.
this is the wind and rain bridge in Chengyang. built in 1912, its 78m long, took 12 yers to build & is built without the use of nails!
next we went to Chongqing and i saw this equally laughable sign inside Chongqing Train Station shop
this was outside Chendu Zoo
after seeing the panda's we went to Xi'an to see the superb Terracotta Army
it was proper freezing in here and we wasnt allowed to use flash, so everything had to be high ISO and low shutter speed. something the female guide refuse to understand and kept us moving along
place is huge and under the fossiled beams and soil are yet more statues, but as soon as the roof is opened, so the air will destroy the colourful paint job on the statues. best keep in hidden till they can find a way to keep them intact
Next we travelled to Pingyao. a living musuem if you will. straight out of a period drama. Pingyao's wall is 6km's long and said to be the last remaining one in China
out of our bedroom window
outside the gate, new Pingyao to the left
climbed to the top and found this fantastic chinglish sign. me and shane were pissing ourselves for hours. tossing is slang for
wanking
although in Chinese it says no crossing, why was this on the top of the wall, and why say tossing instead of crossing? :goggle:
would you believe this was -20!? doesnt look cold but it really was
deserted courtyard
more chinglish.
mind your head, take care of the shaft
collecting 'night soil'
bought this, which i have YET to still arrange them in order and frame it
Last edited by wujou_mao on Mar 21st, '08, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 21st, '08, 23:05

next it was the long journey to Beijing and arrange for a new visa on boxing day at the cop shop
forbidden palace
no picking flowers? what bloody flowers??
went and saw the 'old great all' with this lovely old man. language problems besides, it was a pukka time out here on our todd
then we saw the 'new great all. all restored
fair enough
some temple on a roundabout in Beijing
muslim quarter
i don't know where this is
or this one, and the temple isnt on the piss, its the person holding the camera
never did like chinese food
this was ontop on Shanghai Post Office
left Shanghai for Yandang shan

some other pictures which i don't know the locations of. but as we didn't like the cold we just kept on heading south and decided our next stop would be philippines

firestorm1

Post by firestorm1 » Mar 26th, '08, 04:17

its Borneo, land of the head hunters.... (well............ many eons ago) not now.... :D

redbean wrote:wujou_mao, that photo was taken in Kuala Lumpur. Boreno? Did you mean Brunei?

redbean

Post by redbean » Mar 28th, '08, 12:43

wujou_mao, what can I say? Thank you for these amazing photos.

Someday, I'd like to visit Xi'an just to see the terracotta warriors.

Illanair

Post by Illanair » Mar 28th, '08, 16:09

Those are some incredible photographs you've taken there. :) Thanks for sharing them!

franchosa

Post by franchosa » Mar 28th, '08, 20:55

I really enjoyed looking at the photographs you took. I'm inspired to take a trip in some of those Asian countries you featured.

I'm curious, though. It seems you ate like a native while staying in those countries. I know a couple of people who ate street food in Taiwan, and now they have colitis. Did you get sick at all from eating local food?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 29th, '08, 01:42

franchosa wrote: I really enjoyed looking at the photographs you took. I'm inspired to take a trip in some of those Asian countries you featured.

I'm curious, though. It seems you ate like a native while staying in those countries. I know a couple of people who ate street food in Taiwan, and now they have colitis. Did you get sick at all from eating local food?
thanks guys for all your comments. it was a truly wonderful experience. one that has opened my eyes up to life outside my own country and find out that people dont behave like they do elsewhere. as for local food and being ill, i only got a bad dose of diarrhoea in Cambodia from eating dog soup. but i think it was manily down to drinking to much local drinks with ice that made me ill as Shane had the same as me and it didnt effect him

i also had dog in the Phillippines and it didnt effect me there either. but i always thought it best to try something new as you're not likily to taste it again elsewhere or even back home. here are a few which i have tried along with the country

Crocodile = Australia
Balut [duck fetus] = Philippines
Camel = Saigon, Viet Nam
Rat = Hanoi = Viet Nam
bird nest drink = Viet Nam
Flying Ants, Cockroaches and Crikets = Thailand
Chicken feet = UK
Pigs Ear, Trotter = China
Dog = Cambodia, Philippines
Snake Head soup = Vietnam
Snake wine = Laos. [i have a picture of this, but i don't think i posted it up]
Pig Brain congee = Vietnam, Saigon

and some gashtly bitter fruits in Sarawak. just having a little bit a few millimetres in size distorted my face and it never effected the Iban tribe who eat them like an apple

of course there are some things i just cannot bear to try, like dog penis / bolllocks which we saw in Beijing or Sheeps head in Morocoo

Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Jul 14th, '08, 04:48

very nice :)