Beijing 2008 Olympics Travel Advice

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
sabriyahm

Beijing 2008 Olympics Travel Advice

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 14th, '08, 03:03

As a turning 30 gift to myself I have decided to go to the olympics this year. I will be traveling with 2 other females my age. I am budgeting about $5000 (which eliminates any packages since they all start at 5K). We got tickets to events. Thats about all we've decided on. Currently we are looking for a hotel. We are PICKY PEOPLE. Anyone know of any hotels or websites or even travel agencies that may be of assistance to me? Can anyone recommend a place to stay. Anything that smacks of a hostel is out. Oh and whats the best way to fly to china. Also is there anything I should look out for or specially request. For example; the hotel I stayed at in France didn't have washcloths, the Irish drive faster then the human eye can detect, and any part of Jamaica not specifically designated for tourists isn't a part you want to see. Things like that.

wujou_mao

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Travel Advice

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 14th, '08, 16:41

sabriyahm wrote:As a turning 30 gift to myself I have decided to go to the olympics this year. I will be traveling with 2 other females my age. I am budgeting about $5000 (which eliminates any packages since they all start at 5K). We got tickets to events. Thats about all we've decided on. Currently we are looking for a hotel. We are PICKY PEOPLE. Anyone know of any hotels or websites or even travel agencies that may be of assistance to me? Can anyone recommend a place to stay. Anything that smacks of a hostel is out. Oh and whats the best way to fly to china. Also is there anything I should look out for or specially request. For example; the hotel I stayed at in France didn't have washcloths, the Irish drive faster then the human eye can detect, and any part of Jamaica not specifically designated for tourists isn't a part you want to see. Things like that.
1st time to china? you will find that foreigners can't stay in many of the cheaper chinese hotels, partly cos the foreigners have more money and the goverment knows this, so you'll end up being turned away, unless you look asian and not white in which case you may be lucky.. some of the hotels are dirty, as well as the loo's are smelly and crappy.

i would of suguested buy a guide book, but Lonely Planet is for backpackers, and besides, the lonely planet book will get confiscated at borders with vietnam and at airports by the customs.

look around on the net, but book now before price will skyrocket and fully booked out, but beware of scams. just cos a picture of a room looks like its from that hotel, it may not be. just basic travel advice. i'm not saying they would plant a scam on you, i'm just saying look before you leap

sabriyahm

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Travel Advice

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 14th, '08, 22:51

wujou_mao wrote: 1st time to china? you will find that foreigners can't stay in many of the cheaper chinese hotels, partly cos the foreigners have more money and the goverment knows this, so you'll end up being turned away, unless you look asian and not white in which case you may be lucky.. some of the hotels are dirty, as well as the loo's are smelly and crappy.
It is my first time to China. As I am black I can not pass for Asian by any stretch of the imagination. I am not looking to stay at a cheap hotel in any case. I have a strict ten floors rule for foriegn non english nation travel. This tends to eliminate almost all the crappy places. I will take your advice though and be leary of photo's

hamihaha

Post by hamihaha » Jan 17th, '08, 11:05

Do you plan to visit other city than Beijing during your China travel?
If yes, the South-West is the best!