Japanese Documentaries?

Discuss about Japanese TV Variety, Music, Game and any other TV shows that is not drama.
Akuma2636

Japanese Documentaries?

Post by Akuma2636 » Sep 16th, '09, 11:29

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Japanese Documentaries? I absolutely adore documentaries, especially ones about animals, plants, Darwinism and science. And I was wondering if anyone knows about any? And/or where I could find them?

Oh I'm looking for these documentaries IN Japanese, NOT about Japanese culture and stuff... Just to make it clear :P

Thanks a lot

Mugatu

Post by Mugatu » Oct 22nd, '09, 21:38

i know one, its not about nature or anything though.. it's about the host club business.
it's called The great happiness space.

kaiservonjapan

Post by kaiservonjapan » Nov 15th, '09, 21:23

Was that one available as a torrent? Would like to see that!

But two weeks ago there was a documentary about Brazilian Families in Japan which was really good, it is available as a torrent on the d-addicts tracker

Mugatu

Post by Mugatu » Nov 15th, '09, 22:35

it's available at asiandvdclub.org

ps790

Post by ps790 » Mar 23rd, '12, 04:01

NHK documentaries are available on NHK International TV throughout the world, even in the arctic, antarctic, middle of the Gobi desert, etc. Just get a suitable antenna and receiver, and point the antenna at one of several broadcast satellites broadcasting NHK International. This is common knowledge in the Japanese speaking community where you live.

Also, you may have noticed that quite a number of programs these days were originally on one of the Chinese WWW sites as streaming video (it is easy to capture, since it is buffered as mp4 or flv files on your hard disk during streaming). For example, Souku.com has numerous NHK and other Japanese network documentary programs. Rather than just watching these, why don't you download them and then upload them back here as torrents? The quality of non-drama programs here will improve if some of the better quality stuff out there is uploaded, rather than just yet another program of Geinokai making fools of themselves and trying to hype themselves.

ps790

Post by ps790 » Apr 6th, '12, 19:20

Quality documentary programs unfortunately don't seem to often get posted much on D-Addicts, and they are so rare, they can be hard to find among the other stuff. Instead we get non-drama programs that are full of Geinokai people out to promote themselves, however silly the venue. So let's use this Topic to announce the rare quality documentaries that get posted as torrents from time to time. They are so rare, they are easily missed among the numerous other j-tv listings.

A recent example is "Taira no Kiyomori e no Tabi ep1" and ep2 - ep4. These are 15 minutes NHK previews of historical background for the "Taira no Kiyomori" Taiga drama.

Other examples can be found by a keyword search for "NMT" (i.e. "not media trash"), which are documentary programs that I myself posted earlier.

unknownpleasures

Post by unknownpleasures » Apr 8th, '12, 15:01

I'd suggest signing up to asiandvdclub. There are tonnes of good documentaries on there, though the torrent files are huge. There's a few good documentaries about nature on asiatorrents as well. Search for the user 'Turbojugend' who has uploaded them.

lanka

Post by lanka » Apr 12th, '12, 05:58

Just as he say, NHK documentaries are available on NHK International TV throughout the world, even in the arctic, antarctic, middle of the Gobi desert, etc. Just get a suitable antenna and receiver, and point the antenna at one of several broadcast satellites broadcasting NHK International. This is common knowledge in the Japanese speaking community where you live.

unknownpleasures

Post by unknownpleasures » Apr 24th, '12, 12:41

If you're still looking, there are quite a few documentaries on 'Youku.com' as well. It's a Chinese website but if you search something like 'NHKスペシアル' you can find a fair few interesting documentaries.

ps790

Post by ps790 » Apr 28th, '12, 04:37

Many of the better documentaries that actually show up on D-Addicts were downloaded from Youku.com, as per the superimposed logo. For example, the Kiseki Taiken Unbelievable programs posted here seem to all have been downloaded from Youku.com. Just recently a very good business documentary appeared here, cambriakyuuden_120412_omnx3, and again that was a Youku.com download. Many of the videos on Youku.com have dicy quality, and some are blocked from viewers with IP addresses outside of China, but there is quite a lot of documentary programming posted there. Some of this can be found by searching using the Japanese TV program name, but at other times you've got to figure out a Chinese equivalent name for an effective keyword search. It is farily easy to download videos from Youku.com since the flash or MP4 video is archived to a temporary directory as roughly 4 - 6 minute segments that can be identified and copied somewhere else while the video is streaming, following by pasting the segments together using normal video editing software.

Jdrama lover

Post by Jdrama lover » May 30th, '12, 20:14

www.Hellofuntime.com it has all japan documentaries ,like cool japan and imagine-nation

ps790

Post by ps790 » Jun 1st, '12, 20:56

The WWW site www.Hellofuntime.com is interesting, but seems to have only a tiny selection of programs, which also seem to be defaced by English hard subtiles. In contrast, the selection on Youku.com is about an order of magnitude greater, and you don't have to deal with English subtitles and a heavily Gaijin-centric selection of programs.

What would be ideal is access to NHK-on-demand for us living outside of Japan, but I don't think that will happen any time soon. NHK is just too far behind the times. Fuji TV seems to be the real leader in online access. Some of the free Fuji TV online news and documentary broadcasts now on the Youtube channels are quite comparable to those that are being sold by NHK premium in N. America and Europe.

esprit9

Post by esprit9 » Jun 5th, '12, 06:37

hellofuntime only posts what's available on nhkworld streaming. If nhk streamed more shows that weren't geared to foreigners, I'm sure it'd be on the site. ;-)

gz2009

Post by gz2009 » Dec 31st, '12, 22:35

Try here for some (Mostly official NHK World youtube channels):

NHKWdocumentaries
NHKWorld
NHKTokyoEye
koenjistation

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Dec 31st, '12, 23:53

gz2009 wrote:Try here for some (Mostly official NHK World youtube channels):

NHKWdocumentaries
NHKWorld
NHKTokyoEye
koenjistation
Thank you for those. :)

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Mar 9th, '13, 15:16

Lately several outstanding documentaries (real ones, not the Geinokai publicity junk) have appeared on D-Addicts. If you want to see such programming, be sure to watch and leave a thank-you message describing what you find interesting about the program. Recent examples include:

NHK SP(Noberu Shou Sanchuu Shinya iPS Saibou Kakumei) - 201 (science documentary)

Kurozuappu Gendai~Genpatsu Sagyouin ga Satte Iku Fukushima (technology documentary on Fukushima, normally called "CloseUp Gendai")

Rekishi Hiwa Historia #137 - 2013.02.06.H264.480p.mkv (NHK's premium history documentary program)

osuneko_no_yane

Post by osuneko_no_yane » Jan 25th, '14, 10:06

Hi, I'm looking for newer shows of NHK Worlds Fudoki, the last I have is from mid 2012. Is this show discontinued?

pearlyriver

Post by pearlyriver » Sep 14th, '14, 17:02

All of the old streaming sites for Japanese documentaries have gone. Your best bet is to look them up on Youku. If you're blocked from viewing Youku videos, try installing an app called Unblock Youku. I've discovered some surprisingly cool NHK documentaries on Youku.

Ryosuke19

Re: Japanese Documentaries?

Post by Ryosuke19 » Aug 15th, '18, 14:04

You can find some on Jpfiles (NHK スペシャル), some rarely on YouTube, but Chinese titled, so they're hard to show up, some rare are on daily motion, as well as there's MVGroup & Chinese sub group Kamigami subs they rip torrent awesome documentaries.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 15th, '18, 14:12

theoadam at Nyaa.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 27th, '19, 00:26

There's a 19 min softsubbed documentary about the first Acura NSX on Youtube.