Full House [R1 DVD] KBS America "Director's Cut"

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Full House [R1 DVD] KBS America "Director's Cut"

Post by pokute » Feb 6th, '07, 16:02

Alas, KBS America has discontinued distribution of this dvd set.

Wiki Link: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Full_House

[img]http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~pehrens/full-house-dvd.jpg[/img]

Number of discs: 9 (8 discs with 2 episodes each, plus the disc of extras)

Video Quality: Very high quality 29.970 fps with few interlacing artifacts. 4:3 full-screen presentation. Very bright scenes have some slight burn, but this was notable in the TV rips as well, so it appears to be intentional. Otherwise the color and contrast balance are excellent (far superior to the TV rips).

Audio Quality: Typical single mic video sound for dialog. Music is good quality stereo. The soundtrack is very clean, with no hiss or rumble detectable.

Subtitle Quality: The subtitle font is the old-fashioned blocky style. The translation is very flat... It appears to be accurate, but the choice of words is unsatisfying. There are a few spelling errors, and a LOT of punctuation is missing.

Packaging: Very attractive textured ivory satin slipcase with the dvd's packed in groups of 3 in folders with photo-quality artwork. Minimal English language printing on the packaging leads me to believe it is identical to the KBS Korean packaging but with "KBS America" printed on the folder spines. Overall an impressive package.

Extras: Outtakes, "Best Scenes", and "Making Of" on a seperate 9th disc.

Notable: There is a refreshing lack of advertising on the dvd's... They even decided to drop the usual FBI warning. The disc starts right up at the simple menus, and you can start watching right away without having to sit through a lot of rubbish.

Overall Grade: B - Because the subtitles are not very good. I have sent KBS America an email in which I described the shortcomings of the subtitles in detail, and have yet to hear from them. I feel that my $100 buys me the right to complain and to receive a response.
Last edited by pokute on Jun 27th, '07, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Mar 5th, '07, 18:35

Is this the official version released by Bitwin? the cover looks exactly the same... or does it say KBS America on the box?

i remember when the KBS America e-store first opened, they were selling the same bitwin sets for many of the older dramas (MISA, Ga Eul Dong Hwa/Winter Sonata/Summer Scent, Second Proposal, etc)... i assumed when they were closed for awhile, that they were re-doing some of the boxsets.

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Mar 11th, '07, 11:31

Annessa wrote:Is this the official version released by Bitwin? the cover looks exactly the same... or does it say KBS America on the box?
The packaging looks exactly the same, except like pokute mentioned they now sport the "KBS America" logo on the box and DVD surface. So far I've only seen episodes 1-6. Subtitle quality seems to vary from episode to episode, ranging from good to mediocre.

Unlike the Bitwin DVDs, which were All Region, the KBS America DVDs are R1. Also, playback with English subtitles is the default setting.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Mar 14th, '07, 09:14

^ thanks for answering my q. very helpful!

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Apr 9th, '07, 01:40

Is this the same version from what yesasia.com is selling? I would like to obtain a director's cut copy original one, but I have to make sure that its a good thing, its worth USD 100.99 - and that's a whole lot of money.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Apr 9th, '07, 14:57

This is the version you can purchase DIRECTLY from KBS America.

meep

Post by meep » Apr 10th, '07, 02:08

Damn, I wish I waited for this one :(

Anyone who has this series willing to trade me the box it came in?
I already purchased full house but the box it comes in is just the normal one

If anyone is wondering why, it's because I have a collection of Kdramas that I keep nice and tucked away :X

PM me if anyone willing to trade or make offer!

Nakiatala

Post by Nakiatala » Apr 10th, '07, 20:10

I bought my copy of full house off of ebay for 15 bucks. The scenes are longer than the tv rip. But I would definitely like to get my hands on the directors cut. 100 bucks is a lot of cash but I can save up. Thanks for the info and rating. :)

Nakiatala

Post by Nakiatala » Apr 10th, '07, 20:11

I bought my copy of full house off of ebay for 15 bucks. The scenes are longer than the tv rip. But I would definitely like to get my hands on the directors cut. 100 bucks is a lot of cash but I can save up. Thanks for the info and rating. :)

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Apr 15th, '07, 19:04

How are the subtitle talks going? $100 is not worth getting all that, but then have crappy subtitles. I really want this set, but if they're gonna butcher my experience, screw them.

arielle7

Post by arielle7 » Apr 15th, '07, 19:19

To be honest, I find the Directors Cut edition of ALL kdramas leave much to be desired. :scratch: ............I make sure to steer clear of them at all costs! Just stick with the original KBS Media dvd's and you'll be fine. Plus, don't all of them already come w/ special features dvd? My copy of full house does....

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Apr 18th, '07, 13:43

I bought this and sold it a few months back. And I am not cheap. If I can pay for something I will. I was not impressed by the subs. I decided to keep the fansub version. The subs (especially for the extra added scenes) were riddled with errors. I have seen worse but truthfully a lot of times I would have to go check the scene in the fan sub to get a full grasp of what was said. Plus in my mind full house was too long anyway so the extra scenes weren't that necessary. It really does not have great subs at all. I f they fixed that though I would definately love this Box set. Let us know if they ever do.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 4th, '07, 02:13

Hi! I noticed that there are 2 dvd versions of Full House on yesasia and one of them is the director's cut, the other i think is the malay version. What's the difference between the two and which is worth buying? Ahhh does the extras of both come with english subs?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 4th, '07, 02:28

The subs of the Malay version are a disaster!! I got a set of subs for Full House which I intend to edit and release SOME DAY, but it's a big project.

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 4th, '07, 02:45

That's so annoying, I guess I won't be buying it either. Can I just rant for a minute and ask when DVD producers are going to recognize that there is actually an English-speaking audience out there who would appreciate some decent subs? I just bought Anego because I loved the fansubbed version so much, and they just copied the fansubs onto the dvd, doing a bad job (ie leaving out the thought balloons, etc.) It really pissed me off...

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 4th, '07, 11:38

Hey, just want to know....what's exactly "director's cut" dvd version??? Does this means the episodes were cutted and are smaller to fit the dvds? :blink

if it's not asking to much, could some of you that bought full house take some pics of the box and some screenshot of the menu and the episode with subs?
The subs of the Malay version are a disaster!! I got a set of subs for Full House which I intend to edit and release SOME DAY, but it's a big project.
so you think the " director's cut" version is better?
Can I just rant for a minute and ask when DVD producers are going to recognize that there is actually an English-speaking audience out there who would appreciate some decent subs?
YEah!!! I think if they came to d-addicts only once they would notice the big number of people interested in dramas and that would pay to buy a dvd box with english subs. I, for example, if all the dramas i like were subbed and oficially sold, i would definetely buy. But sometimes i hesitate because i'm afraid i'll come across a bad subtitle :-(
I just bought Anego because I loved the fansubbed version so much, and they just copied the fansubs onto the dvd, doing a bad job (ie leaving out the thought balloons, etc.) It really pissed me off...
it's a pity! I also wanted to buy Anego, but many people complained about the malay version being sold... :-(
how could they not add the thought ballons?!!!! That was the best part of Anego!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 4th, '07, 16:45

The directors cut includes some extra material. The subs are okay, but not as good as they SHOULD be. Please see the first post in this thread.

JlovesVan

newbie question...

Post by JlovesVan » May 23rd, '07, 20:55

hi everyone, I am new to d-addicts but adore asian dramas! I recently watched a fan sub version of full house on youtube and loved it. I wanted to buy it but now I feel pretty bummed reading through these responses. I have no problems with copied fan subbed versions but I don't know where to get them. Is there a way to save them from youtube or how do I go about it. Sorry this is a lame newbie question I am sure. I just recently bought "It started with a kiss" and the english subs were so bad I couldn't even understand it so it was money wasted. Don't want that to happen again...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: newbie question...

Post by pokute » May 23rd, '07, 21:05

JlovesVan wrote:hi everyone, I am new to d-addicts but adore asian dramas! I recently watched a fan sub version of full house on youtube and loved it. I wanted to buy it but now I feel pretty bummed reading through these responses. I have no problems with copied fan subbed versions but I don't know where to get them. Is there a way to save them from youtube or how do I go about it. Sorry this is a lame newbie question I am sure. I just recently bought "It started with a kiss" and the english subs were so bad I couldn't even understand it so it was money wasted. Don't want that to happen again...
Series that you buy from KBS America will tend to be good. The subs will not be up to the quality of the better fansubs, but they will not have you going "WTF?!" " WTF?!" endlessly. The video quality of KBS America releases will be superb. The bad news is, KBS America may be on it's way out, since they are licensing YAE to distribute their shows. YAE has a variable reputation, especially because of their 4:3 releases of 16:9 broadcast material.

Read the reviews here carefully, and ask specific questions when you aren't sure, and you stand a fair chance of not wasting a lot of money (as some of us have done).

meep

Post by meep » May 23rd, '07, 23:20

It's a good set to get, if you care about getting something to collect and stuff.

A cool thing to note is that most new upconvert dvd players will set it to widescreen, not that 4:3 ratios isn't good enough as it is.

I wonder if they will release a HD DVD boxset of this soon :wub:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 23rd, '07, 23:23

meep wrote:It's a good set to get, if you care about getting something to collect and stuff.

A cool thing to note is that most new upconvert dvd players will set it to widescreen, not that 4:3 ratios isn't good enough as it is.

I wonder if they will release a HD DVD boxset of this soon :wub:
You mean they will stretch it horizontally, which is sucky.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 23rd, '07, 23:31

YAE = yesasia??
the only release available of full house is the KBS and the malay one?
I'm really looking foward to buy this serie but i really need to know if it's really that worth 'cause for me it'll end staying 2 times more expensive than for americans.
Does KBS release region free dvds?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 23rd, '07, 23:45

AFAIK, the only release currently is the Malay one. KBS America pulled theirs since YAE has licensed the distro for NA. It remains to be seen whether YAE will surprise us or what. And yes, YAE = YesAsia.

My personal experience dealing with the staff of KBS America was less than reassuring, but I am not going to elaborate about THAT, as tempting as it might be...

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 24th, '07, 01:41

Pokute, do you know if there's any diference between the version you have and this one:
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... rodcontent ?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 24th, '07, 04:35

Rasckita wrote:Pokute, do you know if there's any diference between the version you have and this one:
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... rodcontent ?
That one says it is published by BitWin, which if I understand correctly, should be identical to the KBS America release, but region 0. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* that the BitWin releases are the best Korean drama releases.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 24th, '07, 11:37

ahh ok!
So the only diference is the package then ...

Sorry annoying you again with this question, but does the subtitle issue makes the dvd box not worth spending 100 dollars (in my case R$200)? 'cause i'm not native english speaker so i'm not THAT picky with the subs, i just want to be able to understand what i'm seeying without subtitles that gives misunderstanding...

do you know someone that bought the malay version? how bad are the subs there? are they as bad as the anego malay dvd, with hard to understand english, missing subs and etc?

Do you think this is bootleg? The cover is the same as the yesasia one and it even has a "KBS" blabla in the top right...
i'm just thinking it's to cheap ....
http://www.dvdonline.com.au/shop/full-h ... -p-36.html

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 24th, '07, 15:02

The dvdonline version is definitely NOT the BitWin set. I realise the "Official" set is expensive, but the video qualty is top notch, as is the sound, and since this is a top-rated show, I'd say it's worth it if you're not going to starve as a result of spending the money. After watching it you will be craving plain rice porridge for a while anyway.

kablz

Post by kablz » Jun 20th, '07, 06:36

hi, is the malay version of the full house boxset from 'pmp entertainment', and if so, how bad are the subtitles (are they understandable but just a few spelling and grammar mistakes?) and is the video and audio quality good ? thankyou in advance

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 21st, '07, 17:39

kablz wrote:hi, is the malay version of the full house boxset from 'pmp entertainment', and if so, how bad are the subtitles (are they understandable but just a few spelling and grammar mistakes?) and is the video and audio quality good ? thankyou in advance
The Malay version is available in various packagings, with various invented company names. The Malay version sucks. If you get it you will have paid good money for something that is totally worthless, and you will regret it. If you see a set of Full House that is not "used" for less than ~$50, do not buy it if you need the subtitles in order to understand it. The folks that sell this crap have no compunction about selling junk, and will not refund your money.

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Jun 26th, '07, 10:47

Incidentally, the Full House DVD is no longer available through KBS-America's E-store. Neither is it available in video-on-demand format.

Didn't someone say that they heard YA Entertainment was going to release this show on DVD? If it's true, it might be worth waiting for that release, especially if it comes with subbed extras (hopefully they were smart enough to insist upon the extended 'director's cut' versions instead of the original TV broadcast ones, or there will be much griping, I'm sure).

JlovesVan

so frustrated!

Post by JlovesVan » Jul 8th, '07, 17:40

I have a burned copy of full house but I have been trying to get an actual box set for some time now. The official version sold on yesasia site says that it is not available to ship to the U.S., KBS america discontinued their copy they were selling and I can't find any thing else accept the maylay versions. Does anyone know anywhere else that might be selling the official boxset? I don't care about paying more I just want a good set.

QTgirl

Post by QTgirl » Jul 11th, '07, 04:48

I think you can still get it here but it's a bit more expensive.

http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.pfm?num=3569

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 11th, '07, 14:54

QTgirl wrote:I think you can still get it here but it's a bit more expensive.

http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.pfm?num=3569
Bloody hell... $160?! Plus shipping, I'm sure...

meep

Post by meep » Jul 24th, '07, 09:42

Pokute, you notice that KBS's website now says

'COMING SOON' for this boxset

I swear, I had a hard time spending 100$ to buy this DVD set because of mediocre subs you had told me about, and I hope they are not releasing a better *eh hem* widescreen version of Full House...

.: Edit:. scratch that thought... I think they are just restocking their shelves. I really wish that they could restock sassy girl chun-hyang too.. Then again wishful 2nd thoughts. *goes back to ebaying kdramas

clauric

Post by clauric » Aug 5th, '07, 07:50

ooh i remember i bought the DC version from yesasia when they can still sell kbs dramas in the us area..i bought for like $94 with a $5 coupon..yet the subs were a bit disappointing since it's also by bitwin.i had high expectations from them..but i really like the white packaging..

JlovesVan

more fullhouse on dvd...

Post by JlovesVan » Aug 27th, '07, 19:04

I just saw on Amazon that they have a pre-order for a new Full House box set coming out. That is such great news since the directors cut was discontinued already :( ...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: more fullhouse on dvd...

Post by pokute » Aug 27th, '07, 19:53

JlovesVan wrote:I just saw on Amazon that they have a pre-order for a new Full House box set coming out. That is such great news since the directors cut was discontinued already :( ...

Yeah. Fans of Bob Saget should be overjoyed.

heated_passions

Re: more fullhouse on dvd...

Post by heated_passions » Sep 18th, '07, 09:20

pokute wrote:
JlovesVan wrote:I just saw on Amazon that they have a pre-order for a new Full House box set coming out. That is such great news since the directors cut was discontinued already :( ...

Yeah. Fans of Bob Saget should be overjoyed.
it's discontinued...really. i'm from the US. the korean store here just received a new shipment of the director's cut dvd...i think i saw about 10 boxset...

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 1st, '07, 01:45

My friend has about 4 of this boxset, but it's not the director's cut from yesasia. It's real though, b/c I bought one from her. It's 8 dvds containing the 16 episodes and 1 dvd special and a bonus Rain cd (frankly, I don't like the free cd). I bought it for $65, so I don't know if any of you is interested. The subs are actually very good, give or take 7 or 8 grammar mistakes. Let me know if any of you is interested and I'll let her know.
Attachments
this is my copy
this is my copy
DSC04250.jpg (136.62 KiB) Viewed 24753 times

farah

Post by farah » Mar 8th, '08, 13:38

I don't know . How dose download episodes( Full House).
Could you please help me ?

ALUCARDfromHELLSING

Post by ALUCARDfromHELLSING » Jun 23rd, '10, 15:53

Does anybody know what are the differences between these two versions:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/full-hous ... /info.html
Release Date: 2005-01-20

And this one: http://www.yesasia.com/global/full-hous ... /info.html
Release Date: 2008-04-10

Or they are the exactly the same and 2nd version is just a reprint with a different cover?

Thanks.

wikat

Re: so frustrated!

Post by wikat » Jul 26th, '10, 01:57

JlovesVan wrote:I have a burned copy of full house but I have been trying to get an actual box set for some time now. The official version sold on yesasia site says that it is not available to ship to the U.S., KBS america discontinued their copy they were selling and I can't find any thing else accept the maylay versions. Does anyone know anywhere else that might be selling the official boxset? I don't care about paying more I just want a good set.
I have a set (Directors cut) for sale on e-bay if you are still interested...it's in good shape except that the disc holders come out of their "sockets" sometimes...not the discs though-they stay put in the holder. :D