Coffee Prince - Kam & Ronson Enterprises Co Ltd

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
Ashiva

Post by Ashiva » Feb 7th, '08, 18:01

This boxset was delivered for me today, so I decided to make a review of it in order to procrastinate instead of writing my master's thesis...

Coffee Prince wiki

Got this boxset from YesAsia.com (global)

General Product Information
Product Title: Coffee Prince (AKA: The 1st Shop Of Coffee Prince) (DVD) (End) (English Subtitled) (MBC TV Drama) (Hong Kong Version)
Region Code: Region Free
Picture Format: NTSC
Spoken language: Korean
Subtitle: Traditional Chinese (hardsubs ->non-optional), English (optional)
Duration: 1080 Minutes
Publisher: Kam & Ronson Enterprises Co Ltd
Discs: 9 DVDs
Episodes: 1-17
Extras: Behind the scenes featurette
Price: US$43.99
Equipment I used for viewing: HP desktop computer (DVD software: WinDVD) that is hooked on my JVC TV (pal) through cables.

Package
I made a quick package presentation here, which should give you an overall idea. Oh and images on package are in reality totally clear and sharp (I just vidded the presentation with my really sucky webcam and shaky hands, which is why images seem blurry).

All the texts on package covers are only in Korean or Chinese - (I don't really recognize which one), also the paper insert that probably lists episodes is only in Korean/Chinese.

Positive:
*Good English subs - I checked quickly parts of eps from every disc and subs seems to be really good quality through out the series.

*Behind the scenes featurette is also English subbed.

*Price: only US$43.99 [~€29.72] -> Woohoo, so low that no import taxes have to be paid (at least in Finland)!!!

*Region free

*Image and audio quality are both ok. See screencaps:

The English subs are situated just above Chinese subs (my capturing software couldn't cap them for some reason) and their hight is about half of Chinese subs

Negative:
*All episodes are Chinese hardsubbed (English subs you can turn off and on)

*No scene selection available

*The font size for English subs is fairly small

*The release misses Gag reel and making of featurette that US release has.

Overall Impression
This release isn't great for vidding and screencapping purposes due to Chinese hardsubs, however, if you just want to enjoy episodes by watching, then it's pretty good deal considering its low price (at least, if you don't have a fairly small tv, of which you sit far away, in which case you might reconsider as the English subs really aren't that big).

vbah

the english subs

Post by vbah » Mar 8th, '08, 16:52

Nice review ! thanks!:thumright:
I really really want to buy this version but first I want to make sure about the english subs.
Positive:
*Good English subs - I checked quickly parts of eps from every disc and subs seems to be really good quality through out the series.
Are you sure about this? I bought the malaysian version and the english subs are very bad.:cry: Have you checked every episode of this HK version?

Ashiva

Post by Ashiva » Mar 8th, '08, 17:43

Well, the behind the scenes featurette had few weird errors, but otherwise English subs seem to be good throughout the series (at the moment in addition to watching several small segments from every episode, I have watched completely first four episodes, last episode, and behind the scenes featurette).

vbah

Post by vbah » Mar 8th, '08, 19:54

thanks ashiva!

OK then, I will buy this version for sure. Seems like I won't be disappointed anymore :lol

vbah

Post by vbah » Mar 26th, '08, 03:46

I have received the package yesterday and tested it. Please allow me to slightly post my own review, which is not much differ from ashiva's :salut:

The picture quality is very good (personally I think it is much better than the fansubs version)

The english subs are good (I have checked all episodes), and the font size is okay (can be read well).

Overall, this is a very good buy, considering the (very) high price of the US version.

Thanks again ashiva :-)