Recommended J-Movies (Ask for suggestions here)

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Oct 21st, '05, 03:29

I recommend Tokyo Tower. I'm not so much of a Jun Matsumoto fan; it just a really good film.

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Oct 21st, '05, 04:23

Movies I like are artsy or social comentaries so here are my recommendations:

All About Lilly Chou
This film depicts the problems Japanese teenagers are facing in contemporary Japan. The plot is very loose and you can easily get lost but the main points are still conveyed successfully. One of the root cause of this tradegy is the lack of authoritative figures in the lives of the youth which may also lead to bullying. Between the teachers and the parents, neither wants to take responsibility. It's a complicated issue that is common in several Japanese movies. The pacing of this movie is very slow that consists of snap shots in Yuichi's life, similar to a home made video. It would be difficult to enjoy this film if your sole purpose of watching is for entertainment. I find it more educational than anything mainstream. The scenes are beautiful as well as the musical scores. There is not much to say about the acting since all conversations are raw and somber.

Nobody Knows
One of the more thought provoking movies I have seen of late. I wonder, does this really happen? How aweful it would be to live in a society that abandons our children. This movie touched my soul and made me reflect on my own life. Am I doing enough?

This movie has an amazing storyline, but I'm afraid it did not translate to well in the film. It is not the most exciting movie out there. In fact, the pacing is very slow not to mention it's quite lengthy. However, I still enjoyed it. What carried the movie are the actors, hands down, Akira, the main character in particular who nabbed The Best Actor award at the Cannes Film Festival. As good as the acting was in this film I was a bit disappointed and mystified as to why none of the children shed a single tear throughout the movie. I would have loved to have seen atleast one crying scene. These kids are so damn cute.

Laundry
This movie is about two people living a life of hell. One physical (mentally handicapped) the other emotional (suicidal), and they only have each other for salvation. You are in for an emotional ride and this movie will touch your heart. First thing you'll notice about this film are the dialogues. They are raw, looks and feels like a rough draft. The script needs refining, yet at the same time, it's what makes this film unique and refreshing.

Suicide Club
This is an over the top movie that critiques the Japanese culture surrounding a disconnected society. I would love to write an essay about this topic but not here. To fully understand and appreciate this film you have to have background knowledge of the Japanese culture. Suicide is a very serious topic which I think this film has dealt with very well. This is a gory film that I, myself could not help but look away at times. Not for the squeamish.

One Missed Call
This film I had a bit of trouble with. At first glance it looks like another Japanese horror flick. However, if you think it has some hidden message like I do, it quickly becomes ingenious because of the irony of the cell phone as the vehicle of death. In a digital world where anybody can reach anybody with a press of a button, we are yet unable to really communicate with each.

Tokyo Tower
This a great atypical love story. Atypical? That's right. It's down right weird and maybe even gross. Nevertheless, it was very romantic and touching. Anyway, what stands out about this movie are the two leads. The guy is early 20s and the woman is early 40s. To make things worse, she's married and she's a friend of the guy's mother. I know it sounds wrong. However, I feel for her. This leads me to the underlying theme of the movie. In summary, the problem arises from the lack of male companion (husband working too much and infidelity). Anyway, that's why I sympathize and cheered on their relationship.

Hana and Alice
This is an excellent coming of age movie. Between the two main characters, Alice intrigued me the most. Her complicated relationship with her parents makes her situation more interesting as she struggles to find her place in the world. One of the most poignant scenes in the film would have to be with Alice and her father on a father-daughter trip. The music and scenery are superb. The pacing is moderately slow and the dialogues are placid but far from boring.

I may post more once I finished the others I have.

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Oct 21st, '05, 04:33

wow I have All About Lilly Chou, Nobody Knows, Hana and Alice.
Thanx for review cgozun, I think I'm try to make some time to watch them.
:D :-)

waffer

Post by waffer » Oct 22nd, '05, 17:29

I've only seen a couple of jap movies but from those, the one I recommend is G@me. The main actors are Fujiki Naohito (Antique) and Nakama Yukie (Gokusen).

This is a very good thriller, I was gonna write a mini synopsis but I'm afraid I might put a spoiler by mistake so just check out http://jdorama.com/drama.918.htm The actors do a really good job and the plot was pretty interesting as it develops more and more.

Rice

Post by Rice » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:59

May be it just me but Japanese movie producers don't have much sense of humor. Compare to korean, chinese or american movies, japanese movies are the least funny.

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 22nd, '05, 21:06

Dont think you can generalize like that, but they made waterboys, funniest movie ever

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Oct 25th, '05, 17:36

I did this the other day but forgot to post it..
I was going to post my list after I watched Wandafuru Raifu but it (the file) broke after an hour in so..
I'll try to link to reviews and give a little summary

KFCC - Kung Fu Cult Cinema (you should know of them already)
OpusZine - another movie review site
SayoNatchi - Padmé's review site
Note: some of these sites may contain spoilers

All About Lily Chou-Chou [SayoNatchi] - Lily Chou-Chou no subete / Riri Shushu no subete
The movie follows the lives of a boy called Yuichi and his friends from 13 to 15, Yuichi is a huge fan of the pop idol Lily Chou-Chou and has his own website dedicated to her which he visits and talks to other fans under the alias Philia, you're shown how Yuichi and his friends change (in some cases drastically) in those years and how their lives are effected.
First thing to note is that this movie doesn't go from 13-15 it starts off somewhere in the middle then goes back and forth with no warning so it can be hard to follow at times. The movie is based on a novel also by Shunji Iwai I believe, the movie itself is very well done, it can be very emotional (think 'Nobody Knows'). You follow how Yuichi starts off as a nice normal kid then gets his life turned around and ends up a recluse (and maybe a bit of an internet freak ;p) It is an very very beautifully shot film, not one you should miss.
Written and directed by Shunji Iwai (Hana & Alice)
Staring: Ichihara Hayato [Waterboys 2/Aikurushii] Oshinari Shûgo [Taiyo no Kisetsu/Shiawase ni Naritai] Ito Ayumi [Swallowtail/Wedding Planner] Aoi Yû [Hana and Alice/Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003]

Audition - Ôdishon
Shigeharu Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi) is simple widower living a lonely life with his son, Shigehiko (Tetsu Sawaki). Going off an idea from his producer friend, Yasuhisa Yoshikawa (Jun Kinimura), Aoyama decides to participate in a fake audition in order to find a suitable woman to remarry. Though innocent in execution, Aoyama is successful in the mock audition and finds a beautiful girl by the name of Asami Yamazaki (Eihi Shiina), who seems more than what she portrays herself to be. Filmed with unbridled ferocity and unrestrained intensity, Takashi Miike presents his horror magnum opus, "Audition." - KFCC
This is one scary assed and quite freaky movie, complete classic which you must watch.
Directed by Takashi Miike (if you don't know him then you be a fooo, go and learn!) - he did Ichi the killer
Staring: Ishibashi Ryo [Haru to Natsu/G@me] Shiina Eihi [Kaidan Hyaku Monogatari/Kyou no Dekigoto] Kunimura Jun [Nurseman/Yasashii Jikan]

Azumi - 1&2
A warrior, who's son was slain during a pointless battle, is assigned a private mission by a high priest. It is up to him to try and stop the madness of wars that wreak havoc upon feudal Japan.
Pretty good movies quite typical japanese samurai movies where not everything (well quite a lot) is believable. - KFCC
Ryuhei Kitamura directed #1 he also did the movie Versus
Staring: Aya Ueto [Ace wo nerae!/Attack No.1] Shun Oguri [Gokusen/Stand Up!!] Hiroki Narimiya [Gokusen/Stand Up!!] Ishigaki Yuma [Gokusen/Waterboys]

Battle Royale [KFCC] - Batoru rowaiaru
The Japanese nation is in turmoil and on the verge of a collapse, the government must act to stop the violence from the nation's youth. They introduce a new measure 'Battle Royale' in which the pupils in a class from a randomly chosen school are taken to a deserted island and forced to fight each other to the death...
This movie is also considered a quite a classic one of my (if not my) favourite movie, it's very original and has won many awards including Best Film, Most Popular Film, Best Editing and Newcomer awards for the cast. It also stars Kuriyama Chiaki <3
Staring: Fujiwara Tatsuya [Shinsengumi/Sabu] Maeda Aki [The Cat Returns/Mokuyou no kaidan] Yamamoto Taro [Shinsengumi] Shibasaki Kou [Go/Orange Days] Kuriyama Chiaki [Kill Bill/Azumi 2] (Beat) Takeshi Kitano [Zatoichi/Izo]

Blue Spring - Aoi Haru
Graduation looms overhead as a group of seniors at Asa High live out the dangerous yakuza-style life on a miniature high school scale. Kujo leads the pack, but the playing field gets distorted when his authority is questioned and duly challenged by his closest friend Aoki. - KFCC
One of the first Japanese movies I watched, it gives you quite a different insight into japanese school life, the movie starts off (if I remember correctly) with a gang of pupils chasing their teacher out of the school which pretty much sets the whole feel of the movie up for you. You could think of this as what happened in school before the battle royale program was introduced. Gangs run the school, (or really 1 gang) the leader is decided by a game where the 'contestants' stand on the outside of the guard rail on the roof and have to clap an incremental amount of times, the one who quits first or falls off the roof loses.
Directed by Toshiaki Toyoda (who also did 9 Souls)
Staring: Matsuda Ryuhei [Nana/9 Souls] Arai Hirofumi [Go/Taiyo no Kisetsu] Takaoka Sousuke [Taiyo no Kisetsu] Yamazaki Yuta [GTO/Neverland] Oshinari Shûgo [All About Lily Chou Chou/Battle Royale II]

Casshern [KFCC]
Fifty years of war between the Great Eastern Federation and Europa have taken their toll on planet Earth. As a result of the use of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons, much of Earth has become uninhabitable and people have become prey to new diseases. Professor Azuma's neo-cell project, which is supposed to be the answer to mankinds hardships, becomes a nightmare come true when mutants spawned from the experiment escape and declare war on the human race. Azuma's son Tetsuya, who was killed during the previous war, is reborn into the cyborg Casshern as mankind's last hope against the new mutant threat.
This movie was mostly (I believe) shot in front of a blue(or green) screen. If you've seen the trailers or the movie itself then you'll know it's action packed - obviously with it being shot in front of a blue screen it's pretty much jam packed with special effects and action. The movie itself is somewhat based on the 1973/1993 animes Casshern: Robot Hunter. The sound track to this movie is simply awesome - my favourite from any movie, with artists ranging from Hyde and The Back Horn to Utada Hikaru and Chihiro Onitsuka.
This is Kazuaki Kiriya's first movie he wrote/directed/edited and provided the Cinematography
Staring: Yusuke Iseya [Wandafuru raifu/Yoomigaeri] Kumiko Aso [Shinsengumi] Kohinata Fumiyo [Ganbatte Ikimasshoi/Ai no Uta] Terao Akira

Go [KFCC]
About a Korean-Japanese boy who moves to a Japenese school (which since he's Korean means prejudice) and meets a girl called Sakurai they get close and things are going well, but he hides the fact that he's part Korean fearing how she might react.
Very good and thoughtful film based on an award winning novel by Kazuki Kaneshiro. Yôsuke Kubozuka won best actor for his performance.
Staring: Yôsuke Kubozuka [GTO/Ping Pong] and Kou Shibasaki [Battle Royale/Orange Days]

Hana & Alice - Hana to Arisu
Walking home from school one day a boy called Miyamoto falls and hits his head, a girl, who was secretly following him comes rushing to his aid, when he awakes she tells him that she is his girlfriend, since he can't remember this she says his must have amnesia, to convince him what she says is true Hana must make up more elaborate lies one which involves her best friend, Alice.
Latest movie from Shunji Iwai who also did All About Lily Chou-Chou.
Staring: Suzuki Anne [Stand Up!!/Gambatte Ikimasshoi] Yû Aoi [All About Lily Chou-Chou/Shining Boy & Little Randy] & Tomohiro Kaku [All About Lily Chou-Chou/Seija no koushin]

Ichi The Killer - Koroshiya 1
The boss of a gang disappears with a small fortune. His loyal gang members start to search for him but their methods are both gory and aggressive. One of the members of a rival gang is Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a mysterious past...
Another Takashi Miike classic! probably the most well known in the west. Since it's Miike you should expect Gore and Insanity (well the main character is insane :p) The only thing that lets this movie down is the CGI it's quite poor and laughable (though I guess it might depend on what version you get.) I remember seeing this movie's front cover in shops and assuming that the guy on the front was Ichi which completely confused me when I actually watched the movie months later. There are 2 Ichi movies altogether and 1 short anime special #2 and the anime aren't really that good.. the anime provides an inside into Ichi's past and so does the second movie (it's a prequel) though both Anime and Prequel (#2) contradict each other a bit. - Watch out for the girl who speaks english for absolutely no reason at all :p
Staring: Oomori Nao [Haru to Natsu/Gaichu] Tadanobu Asano [Zatôichi/Survive Style 5+] Shinya Tsukamoto

Nobody Knows - Dare Mo Shiranai
Four children live together with their mother in a small apartment, only one of them however is known about to the landlord, this means only he and his mother can leave the house of they risk being kicked out and forced to find a new home again. one day the mother leaves a note saying she'll be gone for a while forcing the children to take care of themselves.
Quite an amazing and heartbreaking movie. Yuuya Yagira (the main character) became to youngest person to win the Best Actor award at Cannes for his performance in this movie (I think he was 14 at the time). Based on a true story which took place in 1988.
Written and Directed by Hirokazu Koreeda who also did Wandafuru raifu
Staring: Yûya Yagira [Shining Boy & Little Randy/Denchi ga kireru made], Ayu Kitaura, Hiei Kimura, Momoko Shimizu, Hanae Kan and You as the mother

Ringu 1&2
A mysterious video kills whomever views it, unless that viewer can solve its mystery.
Not much need to explain this it's the originals to the american Ring movies, so ofcourse since hollywood doesn't tend to get it right, it well worth watching - especially Ringu 2 which has a completely different storyline to the american version.
Staring: Matsushima Nanako [GTO/Forbidden Love] Nakatani Miki [Otousan/Densha Otoko(movie)] Sanada Hiroyuki [Hikon Kazoku/Last Samurai] Takeuchi Yuko [Mukodono!/Pride]

Versus [Opuszine]
Prisoner KSG-301 along with his cell mate escape while being transferred which has been set up by a Yakuza influence. They meet up with their so called saviors only to receive orders which include keeping a girl hostage for the boss. KSG-301 does not agree with them and tells them to let the girl go. After a brief gun fight everyone realizes something is terribly wrong and the dead are coming back to life. - KFCC
Considered a cult classic.. quite a popular movie among japanese movie fans. Versus 2 is out in 2006.
Written and Directed by Ryuhei Kitamura
Last edited by Lowest on Oct 26th, '05, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

diOdio

Post by diOdio » Oct 25th, '05, 19:14

i just saw "josee, the tiger and the fish" and you have to watch it too! its a simple movie about a normal guy that falls for a handicapped woman. im not much of a reviewer, but ive seen this movie 3 times in the past week so give it a shot.

http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/josee.shtml

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Oct 30th, '05, 02:17

Lowest wrote:Audition - Ôdishon
Shigeharu Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi) is simple widower living a lonely life with his son, Shigehiko (Tetsu Sawaki). Going off an idea from his producer friend, Yasuhisa Yoshikawa (Jun Kinimura), Aoyama decides to participate in a fake audition in order to find a suitable woman to remarry. Though innocent in execution, Aoyama is successful in the mock audition and finds a beautiful girl by the name of Asami Yamazaki (Eihi Shiina), who seems more than what she portrays herself to be. Filmed with unbridled ferocity and unrestrained intensity, Takashi Miike presents his horror magnum opus, "Audition." - KFCC
This is one scary assed and quite freaky movie, complete classic which you must watch.
Directed by Takashi Miike (if you don't know him then you be a fooo, go and learn!) - he did Ichi the killer
Staring: Ishibashi Ryo [Haru to Natsu/G@me] Shiina Eihi [Kaidan Hyaku Monogatari/Kyou no Dekigoto] Kunimura Jun [Nurseman/Yasashii Jikan]
For those of you in the UK, Channel4 is showing Audition this Sunday (30 Oct) at 12:05am.

Rice

Post by Rice » Oct 30th, '05, 02:55

Again, maybe it's just me but I failed to understand why many people are so crazy about Takashi Miike's movie. I admit that audition is a good movie but most of his other movies are just plain sick. For example, in Dead or Alive
what's the point of of showing the dog **** the girl and what sup with the old guy flushing the girl's **** out of her arse and picking the **** water with a cup and smelling it? Wow, here's a naked girl lying in her **** water with floating poops near her face! And she died in her own poop water!
How come no other directors in the whole world never tought of it, that's totoally genius and creative!

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Oct 30th, '05, 05:56

Rice wrote:Again, maybe it's just me but I failed to understand why many people are so crazy about Takashi Miike's movie. I admit that audition is a good movie but most of his other movies are just plain sick. For example, in Dead or Alive
what's the point of of showing the dog f*** the girl and what sup with the old guy flushing the girl's **** out of her arse and picking the **** water with a cup and smelling it? Wow, here's a naked girl lying in her **** water with floating poops near her face! And she died in her own poop water!
How come no other directors in the whole world never tought of it, that's totoally genius and creative!
To be fair, he didn't write DOA he just directed it, afaik he's only written 1 movie, the reason people are fans of miike is because of his directing ability (although if the movie is good then the director gets the credit anyway).
Anyway I'm not exactly a big Miike fan, I've only seen a few of his movies which happened to be good.

tabana

Post by tabana » Oct 30th, '05, 16:35

My cousin bought Final Fantasy Advent Children and we watched it last night.
I'd give a 7/10 for the story, but the graphics are so great! Wow! Nice job Square. :thumright:

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Oct 30th, '05, 19:53

Nobody Knows was a very good movie. Showed me a side of Japan I haven't seen before. I highly recommend this movie, but not everyone will like it.

jubeichanxoxo

looking for a good japanese horror movie

Post by jubeichanxoxo » Oct 30th, '05, 23:12

Can anyone suggest a really good horror movie for me? I heard the some of the best scary movies come from japan. Thanks ^_^Y

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 31st, '05, 02:06

Rice wrote:Again, maybe it's just me but I failed to understand why many people are so crazy about Takashi Miike's movie. I admit that audition is a good movie but most of his other movies are just plain sick. For example, in Dead or Alive
what's the point of of showing the dog f*** the girl and what sup with the old guy flushing the girl's **** out of her arse and picking the **** water with a cup and smelling it? Wow, here's a naked girl lying in her **** water with floating poops near her face! And she died in her own poop water!
Miike is a strange man. His works are not mean to be taking serious, not everything he does is a masterpiece, but it's definitely something you don't see normally. The man makes like 5 movies in a year at least, some are good, others can be crap. Either way, he's a great director & his works are perverted, disgusted and disturbing, but that's his thing.

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 31st, '05, 02:11

Just one? hmm, this is a toughie.

can i just give you a list and let you pick which one?

Ju-On: The Grudge 1 & 2, Ju-On: The Curse 1 & 2, The Ring 1 & 2, Dark Water, Kairo, Kakashi, One Missed Call 1 & 2, Uzumaki, Suicide Club.

Let me just say, all the sequels are crap, so go with the original.

crossvii

Post by crossvii » Oct 31st, '05, 02:19

Uzumaki was really messed up. I think it was meant to give out seizures... Juon 2 is awesome.. so much better than the first. Dark waters, the locker, and Bushinsaba (korean) are really good ones too.

Twitchfilms.net has a lot of info on new and upcoming horror movies. The new horror, A.P.T., looks good too.

cmge

Post by cmge » Oct 31st, '05, 06:12

japanese only... hmmm... besides the stuff listed above i recommend.. Audition, St. Johns Worts, Tokyo Psycho and Face... koreans make great horror films too

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Oct 31st, '05, 09:00

jubeichanxoxo

scary movie

Post by jubeichanxoxo » Oct 31st, '05, 20:37

THANKS. I have most of these movies in my streamload. now I can scare the people who are going to my halloween party. :-(

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Nov 2nd, '05, 00:46

Anyone know where i can find the torrent for Audition? i would love to see that!

Lime-kun

Post by Lime-kun » Nov 2nd, '05, 00:58

I thoroughly enjoyed "Tales of Terror 1" recently. Perfect for halloween in the sense that it's not completely terrifying or gorey, but more spooky and artsy. It's a compilation of 8 short films, some mysterious, some scary, and some comedy. It's a good shift from the usual horror movie.

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 2nd, '05, 01:06

Not sure why Audition is on the list, to me, that's not really horror, but i guess it's somewhat freaky.

btw, director Takashi Shimizu of The Grudge has a new movie out called, Marebito. i don't think it's very new, but it's only out for download now. not sure about how good it is, but i like his work, so i'm watching it anyway. btw, it was film in just 8 days.
wonder how The Grudge 3 will do, honestly, i just don't like the sequel.

about Marebito, http://imdb.com/title/tt0434179/

jubeichanxoxo

^^

Post by jubeichanxoxo » Nov 2nd, '05, 01:48

Audition was a creepy! I spent the last 30 mins repeating WTF!...
Last edited by jubeichanxoxo on Nov 2nd, '05, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 2nd, '05, 03:28

fayewolf wrote:Anyone know where i can find the torrent for Audition? i would love to see that!
Just a reminder: Please do not request torrents for movies on the forum. Even though it isn't being uploaded to our tracker, we don't want to inadvertantly post something that could get us in trouble with the MPAA.

Thanks for understanding!

(dang... where'd jholic's handy li'l message go?...)

REIRA

Post by REIRA » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:15

Gaichu (Harmful insect), Akihiko Shiota's movie (watched for the first time at Venice film festival) is very good. And really sad.

All Takeshi Kitano's movies: Hanabi, Kikujiro no Natsu, Dolls are my favorite.
But also Sonatine and Brother are good.

And, even if they're not japanese, Wong kar-Wai's movies, as 2046 or In the mood for love, are really the best!! I highly recommend them all!!

otaku72

Post by otaku72 » Nov 24th, '05, 00:02

Here's a list of my fave J-Movies off the top of my head listed by director:

Miike Takashi -
Young Thugs: Nostolgia
Bird People In China
Dead or Alive II: Birds

Kitano Takeshi -
Any and All

Sogo Ishii -
Electric Dragon 80,000 Volt
Gojoe

Ishii Katsuhito -
Party 7
Shark Skin Man And Peach Hip Girl
Cha no aji (The Taste Of Tea)

Shimizu Takashi -
Ju-On I & II
The Grudge: I & II
Marebito

Shunji Iwai -
All About Lilly Chou Chou
Ghost Soup

Gen Sekiguchi -
Survive Style 5+

Junichi Mori -
Laundry (Note: This is possibly one of the best movies ever made IMO)

Tetsuro Takeuchi -
Wild Zero

Yamada Yoji -
Twilight Samurai
The Hidden Blade

Kenji Sonoda -
Kyouki no Sakura (Madness in Bloom)

Plenty more where that came from, at least 100, but just wanted to toss out a short list for sake of conversation!

Schala

Post by Schala » Nov 24th, '05, 08:35

crossvii wrote:the locker
Really? You liked that movie? I just watched it and the sequel and thought they were TERRIBLE. The acting in it was beyond bad, and it wasn't even scary at all. The creepiest part of the movie is the dvd cover. x_x It was the first Asian horror movie I was thoroughly disappointed with.

ussoptheliar
Deactivated

Post by ussoptheliar » Dec 3rd, '05, 16:07

Crying out love in the center of the world is one jmovie to be recommended. I think it is as good as the series.

Kaji-shonen

Post by Kaji-shonen » Dec 9th, '05, 20:56

Shimotsuma monogatari (2004)
aka "Kamikaze Girls" - (English title)
http://www.kamikazegirls.net/news.html (fan site)
http://www.shimotsuma-movie.jp/trailer/index.html (official ,trailer)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416220/
Fukada Kyoko, Tsuchiya Anna

sweetxvanilla

Post by sweetxvanilla » Dec 11th, '05, 09:02

kindaichi shounen no jikenbo
battle royale
not battle royale 2, kind of a let down.
moonchild

yunwun2k1

Post by yunwun2k1 » Dec 17th, '05, 22:14

Kamikaze Girls is an awesome movie! My sis seen it in the theatre when it came out in the U.S., but I already seen it way before, but she really enjoyed it!

The japanese movie "Dragonhead" is a great post-apocalyptic movie dealing with a group of japanese students who survive through a world-shattering disaster. Great movie, should definitely check out, I believe it is released in the U.S. now under the same movie title so it shouldn't be hard to find!

Jimmy777

Post by Jimmy777 » Dec 20th, '05, 04:34

I love the Ring Movies (thus the sig). Battle Royale was also good.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 21st, '05, 01:17

I've been consulting this thread for a while now whenever I want to watch some Japanese movies. I saw Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu(Be With You) came up a lot with the recommendations. I read the synopsis, and it sounded like there is some magic related to the story. I usually stay away from fantasy except if it's anime.
So I kept putting it behind on my list. Yesterday, I thought at last I'll give it a try.

After watching it, I thought to myself: You dummy! That was probably one of the most romantic movies ever created and you almost missed it, baka. baka, baka

I better learn to trust the majority, lol...and as usual, I shouldnt judge the book by it's cover.
So if you havent seen it yet, watch it now!!!! :cussing: :mrgreen:

hitoe0

Post by hitoe0 » Dec 22nd, '05, 11:32

I liked Versus

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Dec 27th, '05, 05:14

Grave of the Fireflies.....definately something anyone should check out. I cried every five minutes.

starlitedr3amer

Post by starlitedr3amer » Dec 30th, '05, 08:02

Daremo Shiranai <<Nobody Knows>>. This movie is incredible, it's stunning to see how well a child can act.

XoRENEWDLIFEoX

Post by XoRENEWDLIFEoX » Jan 2nd, '06, 07:58

Right now...the only japanese movie I can think of is
:lol :unsure: MY SASSY GIRL :blink :lol

ikki_72

Post by ikki_72 » Jan 4th, '06, 09:48

not seing much/any of it...just koreans...

Yoh-Asakura

Post by Yoh-Asakura » Jan 6th, '06, 08:34

Yeah..... JMovies ROCKS!!

soles

Post by soles » Jan 15th, '06, 04:45

My Sassy Girl was good!
Windstruck was ok!

ly_el

Post by ly_el » Jan 15th, '06, 11:49

does anybody know where i can free :D download GAME ??

airskape

Post by airskape » Jan 18th, '06, 07:11

my sassy girl and windstruck are korean :lol

anyway can someone PM me where to download japanese movies? thanks! :salut:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 18th, '06, 14:03

fox666

Post by fox666 » Jan 21st, '06, 20:29

Domo arigato for this great topic :cheers:

keep them coming those recommendations !!
:thumleft:

ikki_72

Post by ikki_72 » Jan 22nd, '06, 03:45

sweetxvanilla wrote:kindaichi shounen no jikenbo
battle royale
not battle royale 2, kind of a let down.
moonchild
yeah, true, true! BR2 sucks the pants off. i hate it. really psychotic.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jan 22nd, '06, 04:01

I really like Kamikaze Girls :wub:

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Jan 22nd, '06, 05:38

wow everyone recommended really good movies.
then i shall recommend some that i just watched, which i think are not that fantastic but worth a watch.

Hinokio: a traumatized boy after an accident using a robot to have contact with the outside world.

Negotiator Mashita Masayoshi: a role from the popular Odoru Daisosassen. I thought this was rather good too, and expecting a sequel.

Dog movie: short stories about dogs, and has itoh misaki.

wahyu_ru

Post by wahyu_ru » Jan 22nd, '06, 17:37

has anyone seen Shinobi?? the latest one...

i'm planning to buy the dvd... if it's not that great, I'll still buy the dvd for erika sawajiri's sake... :D

DougFunnieee

Post by DougFunnieee » Jan 26th, '06, 00:57

Has anyone seen Tony Takitani? It's a subtle film but it's really good.

Nikko

Post by Nikko » Jan 26th, '06, 01:59

I liked 'Deep Love: Ayu no monogatari' (http://www.zavn.net/index_p.php)
Theres a drama too, but I haven't had to chance to see it. Both are about a teen prostitute who learns to cherish her life (as well as body) through a series of life-altering events including real love.

'Satorare- Tribute to a sad genius' also with a drama based on it XD This was the story of a man who had the strange affliction of everyone being able to hear his thoughts. Known as 'transparents' people with this affliction are monitored by a government group and are usually geniouses. Its difficult to explain, but its a touching story of love, science fiction and even conspiricy

and 'Saigo no koi, hajimete no koi' or 'First love, last love' which is an interesting story of a depressed salaryman who lost his wife in an accident and goes to Shanghai on business where he falls in love with a Chinese girl. Its like most Japanese dramas, where someone learns to appreciate life, which I always love, and what I found the most interesting is they both have to converse in English to understand each other XD

Anyway, I didn't see these ones listed and I saw them all when I lived in Japan two years ago. Most of them are on yesasia with English subs, but Deep Love hasn't been translated as far as I know. Hope this helps, I really liked these movies alot!

taro

Post by taro » Jan 26th, '06, 23:00

Available on US DVD, picked it up a couple weeks ago. Pretty good movie, had a bunch of us laughing, esp in earlier parts. It kind of looses some of its loopy steam near the end.
I'm a bit dissapointed in the quality of the US DVD though. Subtitles are hardcoded onto the video, translation is different from what said in a couple places, video quality doesn't look all that stunning.
yunwun2k1 wrote:Kamikaze Girls is an awesome movie! My sis seen it in the theatre when it came out in the U.S., but I already seen it way before, but she really enjoyed it!

nihonjunkie

WELCOME BACK MR MACDONALD

Post by nihonjunkie » Jan 28th, '06, 20:40

Hi, i read this thread about japanese movies..
was wondering if anybody has watched this movie? it stars toshiaki karasawa.. and i've read ONE review about it.. it's touted to be really good.
but i can't seem to find it anywhere, and there is a dvd version.. but i don't see it anywhere in singapore yet.....

has anyone seen it online? it's quite old.. a 1998 film.

ir0nm0use

Post by ir0nm0use » Jan 28th, '06, 20:46

Have you tried http://asiandvdclub.org/ ? I've had some luck with movies there.

T3tsuo

Post by T3tsuo » Jan 30th, '06, 16:14

Some good japanese movies to watch:

- Josee, the tiger and the fish
- Nobody Knows
- Kamikaze Girls
- Ping Pong
- Battle Royale
- Dolls

imutau

Post by imutau » Jan 31st, '06, 17:28

I like the Samurai classics like "Yojimbo", "Sanjuro", and "Seven Samurai." Toshiro Mifune is definately a god in japanese cinema and Akira Kurosawa's pretty good too (j/k.)

Beat Takeshi's films are great but can be a bit too graphic for some. He is definately Japans version of Torentino which I hate to say because he's (Beat) been in the business of film making alot longer.

Also "After Life." It's kinda sad but it does have a nice ending to it and the story is one of the most original I've seen in a long while. They should have made an adapted version of that instead of "Shall we dance."

Also Miyazaki's 'Nausicca", and "Totoro" anime are great family films with good action and a decent story. I think I like them better then some of his more recent movies.

DougFunnieee

Post by DougFunnieee » Feb 5th, '06, 02:15

I saw Jam Films S recently. I thought it was good, but not as good as Jam Films. Now I need to watch Jam Films 2...

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 5th, '06, 02:25

Hello..Can anyone reccomend something similar to Kamikaze Girls?

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 5th, '06, 02:26

DougFunnieee-The girl in your sig looks really familiar...did she play Xiang Qin's friend that is like interested in music in "It started with a kiss"?

DougFunnieee

Post by DougFunnieee » Feb 5th, '06, 22:11

OvertheRainbow wrote:DougFunnieee-The girl in your sig looks really familiar...did she play Xiang Qin's friend that is like interested in music in "It started with a kiss"?
I don't think so. :-( Her name is Fumiko Mizuta and she's fairly new to the business. If there's a girl that looks like her in another show, I'll have to check that out, haha.

Shonen Bat

Post by Shonen Bat » Feb 7th, '06, 23:10

Kamikaze Girls
The Taste of Tea
Loved Gun

Only some masterpieces came out in the last years ;)

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 7th, '06, 23:13

DougFunnieee wrote:
OvertheRainbow wrote:DougFunnieee-The girl in your sig looks really familiar...did she play Xiang Qin's friend that is like interested in music in "It started with a kiss"?
I don't think so. :-( Her name is Fumiko Mizuta and she's fairly new to the business. If there's a girl that looks like her in another show, I'll have to check that out, haha.
Ooo..Well I was right that she was a small part in a drama but i was wrong about which drama it was

She plays Bando in Nobuta Wo Produce

witica

Post by witica » Feb 8th, '06, 08:42

hm, kairo was listed but kiyoshi kurosawa's other movie the cure wasn't yet... so i'd suggest that. it was every bit as good a kairo.

Demiwing

Post by Demiwing » Feb 9th, '06, 02:35

ima ai ni yukimasu!!!-Great movieeee. best ever

Rinoa Heartilly

Post by Rinoa Heartilly » Feb 12th, '06, 18:19

Kagen no Tsuki: Starring JRocker Takarai Hideto
Summary: Touching romance with the moon cycle of 19 years. 19-year old Mitsuki meets mysterious Adam. She looses her memory by an accident, and she is trapped in an old mansion. Hotaru and Mitsuki's boyfriend Tomomi visit her, and they find out the event that happened 19 years ago. It is a miracle only occurs every 19 years. Based on Ai Yazawa's novel.

Moon Child: Starring JRockers Camui Gackt and Takarai Hideto
Plot Synopsis: In the year 2014, Japan has collapsed economically and thus its people emigrated in large numbers and settled in other parts of the world. In a corner in Asia, there is a little street called Mallepa, a big melting pot where Asians such as Hongkongers, Taiwanese and Japanese live together. It was a place where people fought for order, food and freedom. It was there where Shou (Gackt), raised as an orphan and Kei (Hyde), who could live forever, met and became the best of friends. However, they were unable to escape from the fight for power involving gangs of different ethnicity on the street of Malepa...
[Source]

Kagen no Tsuki is a pretty deep film, I cried through most of it. The storyline is absolutely beautiful and touching, I highly recommend it. :-) Moon Child's a great film as well, lots of action, and at times can be quite depressing.

AngelGurl6

Post by AngelGurl6 » Feb 13th, '06, 18:03

My all-time fave is Battle Royale I (II is ok) and Princess Blade. The action sequence for Princess Blade is awesome, and highly recommended for people who love kick @ss women!!!!

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Feb 14th, '06, 09:14

Shiko Funjyatta - starring Motoki Masahiro. The director Mr Subo made the original "Shall we dance?"

This is a story of a Sumo club in a university. When I watched it, I couldn't stop laughing :lol

babycurious

Post by babycurious » Feb 23rd, '06, 10:03

hei guys!
I just finished with j-series trick 1,2,3
and now seriously curious about Trick the movie!
can you tell me where to find it?
or can anyone help me seeding?

thanks y'all

naoto

Post by naoto » Feb 26th, '06, 03:27

hey guys, i know you cant request jmovies here which is cool... but do any of you know where to download them? (maybe a personal message then). Thanks..

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Feb 26th, '06, 06:15

naoto

Post by naoto » Feb 26th, '06, 08:46

aha! That's what I was looking for, but when I searched I got 300+ results. Thank you!

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Feb 26th, '06, 09:03

i highly recommend Ima Ai ni Yukimasu!! its a very touching and unforgettable movie!! the leads are so good, Takeuchi Yuko and Nakamura Shindo!! they must have been overwhelmed by the story, that they continued the romance in real life. coincidentally, thay have a son in the movie and in real life, Takeuchi just gave birth to their son last september. :D

kaze-kun

Post by kaze-kun » Feb 27th, '06, 20:37

damn this thread is long... thanks to everybody for contributing havent come across any names of movies i dont yet have, but i'll definately keep looking through the thread hoping.
so thanks for posting. :salut:

smartasien

Post by smartasien » Mar 1st, '06, 04:38

OvertheRainbow wrote:
DougFunnieee wrote:
Ooo..Well I was right that she was a small part in a drama but i was wrong about which drama it was

She plays Bando in Nobuta Wo Produce
'

Just finished watching Swing Girls. Pretty upbeat movie, i liked it a lot. But this Fumiko Mizuta!
Good GAWD she is freaking blazing. MELTING!!!! :goggle: Hope she'll b in more movies or dramas :) the whole punk look is just :w00t:

slain_naru

Post by slain_naru » Mar 3rd, '06, 17:05

I like a lot Aoi haru!!!! wiz Ryuhei Matsuda