Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Tokusatsu / LIVE Japanese Super Heroes Topic

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Post Reply
User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Tokusatsu / LIVE Japanese Super Heroes Topic

Post by groink » Aug 25th, '05, 21:26

Any tokusatsu fans on D-Addicts? What is tokusatsu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokusatsu

I'll start off my like list (all are 1970's shows):

Rainbow Man
Kamen Rider (Masked Rider)
Kamen Rider V3
Jinzo Ningen Kikaider (Kikaida)
Kikaider 01 (Kikaida 01)
Inazuman
Sentai Go Ranger
Ganbare ROBOCON (my avatar)

ROBOCON is one of my favorite shows. It's even better than most trendy dramas. I just aquired a laser disc set (100+ eps) of ROBOCON via Yahoo! Japan auctions, so I'm waiting for them to arrive at my front door. And then once I receive the set, don't be surprised if I disappear for a few weeks.

I'm totally out of touch on the tokusatsu scene as of the early 1990's. I guess if someone feels obligated to bring up Power Rangers, I'll hold my breath and tie my hands behind my back during the ordeal.

--- groink

SusieQ
Posts: 375
Joined: May 8th, '05, 03:51
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Post by SusieQ » Aug 25th, '05, 23:25

I like Tokusatsu!

I currently watch the new Kamen Rider, Kamen RIder Hibiki; and the new Sentai series, MagiRanger. Before I was watching Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon love Action, as well. And I tried DekaRanger, but didn't keep up with it. I haven't really bothered with any older Toku.

If you check out any new series, check out Hibiki. It's REALLY good.

:lol I watched Power Rangers when I was a kid, so now I'm quite happy to have discovered Tokusatsu.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 00:15

SusieQ wrote:Sailor Moon love Action
Hey, I actually bought and watched a DVD set of Sailor Moon LIVE action from an Internet seller. I have deep anime roots, so watching Sailor Moon in a live format is only natural. Despite constant criticism from many adult folks, this is actually a very good show. It may not be hard-core toku like the new Kamen Rider shows, but remember that its geared toward young girls and groink.

A friend of mine watches the new Kamen Rider series. He talks to me and my other friends about it, and we basically give him a blank look like, "What are you talking about??!?!?" Like me, most of my friends were brought up with the 1970's stuff. So when we heard about the new Kamen Rider The First movie that's coming out later this year, we immediately started speculating how the producers can really ruin this movie (having a Johnny Jr member play the lead role, whussy theme music, lasers instead of TNT, and on and on...) Looking at the trailor and such, it's definitely not geared towards old people like myself who watched Kamen Rider in 1971.

--- groink

SusieQ
Posts: 375
Joined: May 8th, '05, 03:51
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Post by SusieQ » Aug 26th, '05, 01:10

Lasers? Movie?? Now I'm the one thinking "What the hell are you talking about?" I haven't heard of a new movie. I only watch the TV series.

Actually, in Kamen Rider Hibiki, they fight with instrument-styled weapons. Hibiki himself uses a pair of drum-sticks and a large drum. Another Oni named Ibuki uses a trumpet that can also shoot like a gun. It's pretty neat, imo. :P

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 01:27

SusieQ wrote:"What the hell are you talking about?" I haven't heard of a new movie. I only watch the TV series.
LOL!

http://www.maskedrider1st.jp

--- groink

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 01:34

Also, TOEI just released the Kikaider 01 DVD set in July 2005:

http://shop.toei-video.co.jp/shop/Produ ... =DSTD02441

About US$500.00. No English subtitles.

--- groink

taro
Posts: 107
Joined: Aug 1st, '05, 23:20
Location: Hawaii

Post by taro » Aug 26th, '05, 02:20

I've been wanting to get the Sukeban Deka DVDs for a long time, but can't afford it!
I've also debated fansubbing it, but I'm not so sure I can handle translating the language.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 02:51

taro wrote:I've been wanting to get the Sukeban Deka DVDs for a long time, but can't afford it!
I've also debated fansubbing it, but I'm not so sure I can handle translating the language.
You should hunt down #sfxjapan. They've been fansubbing various Kamen Rider series. Like the live drama fansub groups, that particular fansub group may help you. The Japanese language used should actually be simple because most of the toku shows are geared towards children and younger teens.

--- groink

taro
Posts: 107
Joined: Aug 1st, '05, 23:20
Location: Hawaii

Post by taro » Aug 26th, '05, 03:01

What intimidates me is the "sukeban" speak. I'll have to dig up my couple VHS tapes (official ones!) that I came across & watch them again to see how bad it is really. Still doesn't solve my problem of not having enough money, heh :)
groink wrote:
taro wrote:I've been wanting to get the Sukeban Deka DVDs for a long time, but can't afford it!
I've also debated fansubbing it, but I'm not so sure I can handle translating the language.
You should hunt down #sfxjapan. They've been fansubbing various Kamen Rider series. Like the live drama fansub groups, that particular fansub group may help you. The Japanese language used should actually be simple because most of the toku shows are geared towards children and younger teens.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2973
Joined: Feb 3rd, '04, 19:53
Location: missin' hawaii

Post by jholic » Aug 26th, '05, 06:22

'kikaida'? what's that?

ha, i'm just joking! i love kikaida. every year, i try to make it down to waikiki so i can take a picture with him in front of the royal hawaiian. a bit smaller than i remember him in the show, but that's alright!

most of my jp friends have never ever heard of kikaida. they give me the same blank stare as you mentioned above.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 09:37

jholic wrote:'kikaida'? what's that?

ha, i'm just joking! i love kikaida. every year, i try to make it down to waikiki so i can take a picture with him in front of the royal hawaiian. a bit smaller than i remember him in the show, but that's alright!

most of my jp friends have never ever heard of kikaida. they give me the same blank stare as you mentioned above.
KTSF-TV in San Francisco CA is showing Kikaida right now. They must be up to episode 20 or around there. I uploaded episode 1 to D-Addicts awhile back, and there was a good amount of people downloading it. Most people's complaints about the series is that it looks old, with cheap special effects and fake costumes. One guy even compared it to the earlier Godzilla low-budget movies.

Below are photos I took at the Kikaida 30th Anniversary event, held at the Japanese Chamber of Commerce in Honolulu. I'll post more later on.

--- groink
Attachments
DSCN1307.JPG
Kikaida and Kikaida 01 (left and right) are my tokusatsu friends doing the cosplay. Kamen Rider V3 (the middle) is a tokusatsu performer from Japan.
DSCN1307.JPG (63.56 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
DSCN1230.JPG
This photo is of Miyauchi Hiroshi (left) and Ban Daisuke (middle), along with Joanne Ninomiya (right) speaking. Miyauchi-san was in Abarenbo Shogun 1 as Yoshimune's ninja helper. Ban-san was in the horror movie Premonition, which also starred Sakai Noriko
DSCN1230.JPG (38.26 KiB) Viewed 10934 times

User avatar
Kyusaku
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 28th, '04, 18:44

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 26th, '05, 14:21

Just look at my sig of course I love tokusatsu.
Hibiki is decent if you like Jdrama, but if you're real toku fan at heart I recommend Genseishin Justirisers.

User avatar
tinokun
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 15th, '04, 18:28

Post by tinokun » Aug 26th, '05, 15:32

i'm a pretty big toku fan(especially kamen rider), i haven't seen alot, mainly because it's so hard to get (pretty expensive too)
here's what i've seen/own
Kamen Rider Black
Kamen Rider Agito(my #1 kamen rider series)
Kamen Rider Ryuki
Kamen Rider Faizu
Kamen Rider Blade
Ultraman Nexus (this series is absolutely amazing... but i think i remember reading somewhere that it got cut early. but this series is dark and very well written, definitely not for the kiddies. a good combination of when j-drama meets toku)
MajiRanger
DaiRanger
KakuRanger
MegaRanger
TimeRanger
Guyferd

so, mostly newer stuff... hopefully soon i'll be able to start obtaining the older series of toku.

User avatar
EJKat
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 17th, '05, 13:03
Location: NYC

Post by EJKat » Aug 26th, '05, 16:02

I like tokusatsu, and my husband loooooves it! I was into it first though because my brother and I watched Space Giants on the TBS Superstation back in the 70s. We used to play Goldar and Silvar all the time. I don't think we even knew it was dubbed, or old!

We haven't been able to see a ton, but I'd say we like the real basics, and really only the older stuff.

Ultraseven (even have the "banned" episode, bwahaha)
Ultraman
Kikaida and Kikaida 01
several Kamen Riders (I have to girl out here and say I don't know which ones!)
Janperson (sp?)
his absolute favorite is Tiger Seven though.
And I bet if I asked him to make this list it would be 3x as long!

I love Robocon the character but we've never seen the show.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 19:26

EJKat wrote:I love Robocon the character but we've never seen the show.
Tell you what... When I receive my ROBOCON laser discs, I'll rip and seed one or two episodes so you and the others can experience it. What tracker it'll be - I'm not sure right now.

--- groink

User avatar
Kyusaku
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 28th, '04, 18:44

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 26th, '05, 21:21

What I've seen(either seen the whole thing or good amount of the series):

-TOEI's Kamen Rider franchise- (I <3 all the Riders, although slightly more the older ones than newer ones)
Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider V3
Kamen Rider Stronger
Skyrider
Kamen Rider Black
Kamen Rider Black RX
Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Agito
Kamen Rider Ryuki
Kamen Rider Faiz
Kamen Rider Blade
Kamen Rider Hibiki

-TOHO's Chouseishin Series- (TOHO has made a great comback in the tokusatsu genre, I feel these shows are a lot better than TOEI's recent toku shows)
Chouseishin Gransazers
Genseishin Justirisers

-TOEI's B-Fighter series- ( enjoyed both B-Fighter series were quite fun)
Choujuukou B-Fighter
B-Fighter Kabuto

-Tsubaraya's Ultra series-
Ultraman Nexus(First story arc was good but then got really boring, was too dark and sometimes too predictable for its dark concept, also aired way too early for such a serious show.)
Ultraman Maxx (Very old school, even has monsters from original Ultraseven series)

-Uchuu Keiji series- (I really like the Uchuu Keiji series)
Uchuu Keiji Shaider
Uchuu Keiji Sharivan
Uchuu Keiji Gavan

-TOEI's Super Sentai series-(Newer super sentai has really annoyed me and disappoints me)
Zyuranger(meh...)
Dairanger(was ok)
Dekaranger(didn't like)
Magiranger(didn't like)

-Kikaida-
Kikaida
Kikaida 01

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 26th, '05, 21:45

Kyusaku wrote:What I've seen(either seen the whole thing or good amount of the series):
Yowza! Both old and new! Good work! Did you see all of these when they were first released? Or did you see them years later on DVD or TV?

--- groink

User avatar
Kyusaku
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 28th, '04, 18:44

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 26th, '05, 21:58

groink wrote:
Kyusaku wrote:What I've seen(either seen the whole thing or good amount of the series):
Yowza! Both old and new! Good work! Did you see all of these when they were first released? Or did you see them years later on DVD or TV?

--- groink
The old stuff I saw years later(within the last 3 years) the new stuff from the last couple of years I've kept up with.. I actually started my interest with newer toku shows and just started seeing the older shows. And have a great respect for the older shows because of how much heart they had.

youkka
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 30th, '05, 07:30

Post by youkka » Feb 6th, '06, 03:23

i want to have my favorite sentai series Hikari Sentai Maskman :D

zeppo1
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 00:51

Post by zeppo1 » Feb 7th, '06, 03:26


zeppo1
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 00:51

Post by zeppo1 » Feb 7th, '06, 03:32

dreaded double post (sorry!)
Last edited by zeppo1 on Feb 7th, '06, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Feb 7th, '06, 03:32

zeppo1 wrote:Japanese Spider-Man :mrgreen:
I know of this one woman who's really into the Japanese version of Spiderman, and it always puzzled me. Besides the language, is there a noticable difference between the American comic book and the Japanese manga?

zeppo1
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 00:51

Post by zeppo1 » Feb 7th, '06, 03:39

groink wrote:
zeppo1 wrote:Japanese Spider-Man :mrgreen:
I know of this one woman who's really into the Japanese version of Spiderman, and it always puzzled me. Besides the language, is there a noticable difference between the American comic book and the Japanese manga?
You know I think the only thing the show and the comic had in common was the suit!
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/spideyjapan.htm

sgtkira
Posts: 7
Joined: Sep 10th, '09, 00:23
Location: Long Island and Queens
Contact:

Re: Tokusatsu / LIVE Japanese Super Heroes Topic

Post by sgtkira » Dec 9th, '09, 02:54

groink wrote:Any tokusatsu fans on D-Addicts? What is tokusatsu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokusatsu

I'll start off my like list (all are 1970's shows):

Rainbow Man
Kamen Rider (Masked Rider)
Kamen Rider V3
Jinzo Ningen Kikaider (Kikaida)
Kikaider 01 (Kikaida 01)
Inazuman
Sentai Go Ranger
Ganbare ROBOCON (my avatar)

ROBOCON is one of my favorite shows. It's even better than most trendy dramas. I just aquired a laser disc set (100+ eps) of ROBOCON via Yahoo! Japan auctions, so I'm waiting for them to arrive at my front door. And then once I receive the set, don't be surprised if I disappear for a few weeks.

I'm totally out of touch on the tokusatsu scene as of the early 1990's. I guess if someone feels obligated to bring up Power Rangers, I'll hold my breath and tie my hands behind my back during the ordeal.

--- groink
I'm glad there's Tokusatsu fans here :O I am actually starting a fan sub group to sub older episodes, I hope the older fans can appreciate our releases ^^

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 3rd, '10, 17:26

TOKUSATSU, yes let the fans shine here on this site.
I stil watches KAMEN RIDER, i also love the godzilla(daikaijuu)movies.

User avatar
Bulykin
Posts: 285
Joined: Jun 2nd, '09, 20:24
Location: Hungary, Kazincbarcika
Contact:

Post by Bulykin » Feb 25th, '10, 19:36

yo! i like super hero movies, but the Kamen Rider and the other is lame for me :lol XD
is there any modern, a little bit serious drama? :-)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests