TV Schedule for Japan?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Karyudo

TV Schedule for Japan?

Post by Karyudo » Sep 11th, '05, 17:02

I will be heading to Japan shortly, and want to be able to easily check out what's on at the moment. Is there a TV Guide-style list someplace here that shows what dramas are showing, on what networks, on what days and at what times?

For example, there's apparently a Korean drama on opposite Densha Otoko—which I know is shown on Thursdays at 10pm—but it appears to be difficult to find said drama by the sort of "reverse lookup" I'm after.

In the same vein, I'd like to do some quick research on the gekku drama that must be popular right now. But it seems as though I'd have to check every drama individually.

Please tell me I'm an idiot, and that there's a better way!

dochira

Post by dochira » Sep 11th, '05, 17:04

The only place I know is to visit the individual station websites and to view the schedules that way. Or, if you live near a Japanese bookstore, they may have TV Guide, TV Life, other television mags, for sale.

Karyudo

Post by Karyudo » Sep 11th, '05, 17:54

Sort of an unnecessary bump, considering only a handful of people have had time to see my original post, but I did find this thread (http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19194) that goes part way towards collating the information I'm after.

But as you can see, there's still no Korean drama listed, even though I know there's (at least) one showing!
Last edited by Karyudo on Sep 11th, '05, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

dochira

Post by dochira » Sep 11th, '05, 18:03

Yes, I forgot about that useful thread, but as you have noticed, it does not represent all of the programs shown in Japan. The only way (as far as I know) of finding out, is as I described earlier. Good luck in your search.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Re: TV Schedule for Japan?

Post by mizune » Sep 11th, '05, 18:18

Karyudo wrote:I will be heading to Japan shortly, and want to be able to easily check out what's on at the moment. Is there a TV Guide-style list someplace here that shows what dramas are showing, on what networks, on what days and at what times?

For example, there's apparently a Korean drama on opposite Densha Otoko—which I know is shown on Thursdays at 10pm—but it appears to be difficult to find said drama by the sort of "reverse lookup" I'm after.
I think your problem might be that you are assuming the entire country shares the same broadcasts, but this isn't true. Not even counting cable and satellite channels, each prefecture has its own TV broadcasts that can vary somewhat, and this is most likely the case for the Korean drama you're looking for....

Here's the link for TV Guide Japan: http://www.tvguide.or.jp/cgi-bin/top.cgi

The default TV Guide is set for Tokyo, but If you know where you are going to be, you can use the pull down bar on the left to pick the broadcasts in your area....
That being said, I did poke around the Tokyo listing and the only Korean show around that time slot that I could see was 宮廷女官・チャングムの誓い (which translates to something like Lady of the Court, Changumu's Oath -- don't have a clue what it is though since I don't watch a lot of kdramas...and it's dubbed, by the way...) on BS11 in Tokyo...

Karyudo

Post by Karyudo » Sep 11th, '05, 20:05

mizune wrote:I think your problem might be that you are assuming the entire country shares the same broadcasts, but this isn't true.
No, I know that. I used to live there. But what I was assuming is that this is a first-run, network-run drama, which it may not be.
Here's the link for TV Guide Japan: http://www.tvguide.or.jp/cgi-bin/top.cgi
That is supremely helpful! Thanks.
the only Korean show around that time slot that I could see was 宮廷女官・チャングムの誓い (which translates to something like Lady of the Court, Changumu's Oath -- don't have a clue what it is though since I don't watch a lot of kdramas...and it's dubbed, by the way...) on BS11 in Tokyo...
That must be it. Doesn't matter where you are in Japan, everybody gets BS11 (since 'BS' stands for 'Broadcasting Satellite'). It also looks like it's both dubbed (there are voice actors given) AND subbed (there's a '字' mark, short for 'jimaku', plus a '2'). Wouldn't be unusual, I don't think.

Karyudo

Post by Karyudo » Sep 11th, '05, 20:19

Looks like it must be 대장금 / Dae-jang-geum. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Dae_Jang_Geum

That was a fun little detective job. Don't seem to be English subs torrented (again, unless I'm a big idiot), and there are 54 episodes, so I might have to let this one pass...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 12th, '05, 09:55

Karyudo wrote:Don't seem to be English subs torrented
not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but the entire dae jang geum series (with eng subs) is available on the AF tracker: http://x-fury.net/

Karyudo

Post by Karyudo » Sep 12th, '05, 13:22

Sometimes I love being wrong! Thanks for that. I did a search here, but didn't get anything but some Cantonese subs. Now I know about x-fury...

adneycandy

Post by adneycandy » Apr 1st, '16, 12:46

very nice