[OFFER] Upload Reqs for 80's JDorama Series

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
mieko

Post by mieko » Nov 9th, '05, 23:16

dochira wrote:
mieko wrote:I gave up on J-Dorama when i could not generate any interest whatsoever in 80's dramas,not a single reply or E-mail !!! All i got was "Oh ! is Hard Luck Hero English Subtitled ?". WTF !!!!
I went back and saw your topic. I think one of the problems is there isn't much older dramas out there for trading. At least for me, the earlier ones I have are from the mid 90s, and the quality of them is less than desirable. :-(

-Pretty depressing..eh ! You must have had to go back quite a few pages to find my thread on Jdorama, after a couple of months i stopped looking and i never got a single E-mail i set up for my site from anybody on Jdorama.

-I will update my site with more titles so you guys can browse. I always make a point of
not putting up or keeping titles that are less than desirable quailty. Between the stuff i copied when lived there,buying LD & DVD boxes and getting things copied to DVD off
of Japanese DBS satellite and regular TV...90 percent of everything i have is pretty good quality.
mieko wrote: Also the whole Korean and other Asian dramas flooding J-Dorama made it rather
annoying!!!
Does'nt J-Dorama mean Japanese Drama and not Korean,Chinese or whatever ?
There was a whole issue about that. People started posting, "Why not make it JKDorama.com?" :blink :unsure: But the posts remain there, albeit under the General Discussions and Buy Sell Trade.

-Jdorama is a lost cause... As long as i keep this thread open there's at least a forum
for 80's drama discussion.
mieko wrote: Plus the fact that it's just and fanboy/girl site as well kinda annoys me and just serve to limit people from exploring the fact that there are other things out there than "trendy dramas"
They don't want to take the chance. Someone needs to infiltrate the VCD market with the older dramas. You might pique their interest; then again, they may simply reject it. :pale:

-Yeah... It's only gonna be older fans and more open minded younger drama fans that will even bother with my seeds.
mieko wrote: Maybe it's because i'm thirysomething and prefer to enjoy dramas & anime from my youth,but fact is that i really haven't seen too many dramas in the last decade alone that really impress me.

I'm truley grateful that there are people here that do appreacte older drama and hope that there are other old school collectors here that will seed othe old shows as well.
I enjoy Japanese dramas, period. No matter when they were produced. I started watching in the mid 90's and haven't stopped since. :-) Thank you for sharing, BTW.
-Well it's always good to keep watching... the hope is that things don't remain too formulaic and some fresh ideas come out.

dochira

Post by dochira » Nov 9th, '05, 23:21

mieko wrote:I will update my site with more titles so you guys can browse. I always make a point of not putting up or keeping titles that are less than desirable quailty. Between the stuff i copied when lived there,buying LD & DVD boxes and getting things copied to DVD off of Japanese DBS satellite and regular TV...90 percent of everything i have is pretty good quality.
Just to make sure, I meant video quality, not necessarily content quality. But I'll take a look at your list, though I probably won't have anything to trade for it. :-(

mieko

Post by mieko » Nov 9th, '05, 23:36

I make a point to having excellent video & audio quality on everything in make a point of collecting. The only things that are less than great quality are the chinese subtitled
drama VCD boxes for some 90's~00' dramas & old drama rental tapes from various
Japanese rental shops where they pretty much put up 2nd gen tapes to begin with.

I'm always looking to replace my chinese subtitled VCD's with better quality RAW footage,
like Sweet Devil (With MAX) & Legend of Silver Wolf.

mieko

Post by mieko » Nov 10th, '05, 09:30

Call me insane or generous but i will probably start to seed Aitsu Ga Trouble later tonight.
That should make toshi and fans ofYuji Oda pretty happy...

If you are clueless as to what show i am talking about (which is probably most of you)
you can read about it on my site here:

http://mewfdojins.com/Dorama/DoramaTV4.htm

mieko

Post by mieko » Nov 11th, '05, 09:00

Just to let everybody know that i'll start seeding Abunai Deka Episode 3 in about an hour or so.

mieko

Post by mieko » Nov 19th, '05, 03:07

Seeding Swan No Namida Ep 2 in about 10 minutes.

mieko

Post by mieko » Dec 3rd, '05, 02:43

I'm just finishing seeding Aitsu No Trouble Episode 2. Most of my PC problemsare solved so i should be able to resume my seeding projects with more frequency.
I tried to update this thread after putting up my Torrent announcement, but the site give me
some odd message saying that " it's too soon to post another message...try again later"
WTF !!!! I thought donating like everybody else would keep the site moving smoothly...

At least i donated and i try to get stuff uploaded....can't say i don't try... At least when i
donated to the creator of the "DVD decrypter" software i got a nice thank you E-mail.
Well i'll get more stuff encoded and up over the next week. Viva la 80's :thumleft:
Last edited by mieko on Dec 16th, '05, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

mieko

Post by mieko » Dec 16th, '05, 11:19

Swan no Namida Episode 5

Well due to the real lack of interest in 80's dramas this will
be the last episode i will upload. I'm rather disappointed that
outside of like 6-7 appreactive fans i have not received the
response i need to justify the bandwith uploading to leechers
and people who don't even bother to acknowledge the effort.
That was the whole point of my rant when i uploaded episode 4.

Now what happens now is that i will upload future episodes of
Swan no Namida & Aitsu no Trouble to my private server for people
to download directly. (At least you will be able to get it much
quicker Smile )

I require people who wish to download future ep's of Swan & Aitsu
to PM me to let me know you want it and i will forward download
links when i upload episodes.

Further episodes of Abunai Deka will be seeded with the help
of another person once i can finish encoding them and shipping them
out.

Other series that i did get requests for, such as Sukeban Deka
& Sailor Fuku Hangyaku Domei i will most likely make available
for direct download as well at a later date.

This really sucks but it pisses me more with the idea that i have
been wasting my time, but i do have a responsiblity to the new
fans i have introduced to 80's drama to make those series still
available.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 16th, '05, 12:42

I'm actually with mieko on this. We must understand the carved-in-stone fact that the majority population of D-Addicts are those who go along with the heavily modified "trendy" drama formula, which moved from the storyline quality of the 80's and 90's, to idols of the 00's. If the drama contains no raggy-cut guys or girl idols, it's basically a flop on D-A.

Another fact is that, by observing the voting in the 2005 polls within D-A, English subtitles is a MUST for any drama to get attention on D-A. There are a few dramas aired in Japan that blew away Densha Otoko and Hana Yori Dango in the ratings, but I've yet to see them voted on simply because no one subbed them. And I think the same idea rings true for past dramas as well.

In order for the golden oldies to reach a much larger audience, one basically needs to stay away from the English-speaking sites like D-A and share them with the Japanese-only message boards with a more mature membership who were actually watching dramas in the 80's. Like mieko, I have hundreds of hours of RAW material via old laser discs, Betamax tapes, and digital recordings off NGN and NHK. But they're rendered worthless on the English-speaking sites.

It basically comes down to the simple fact: If your personal life experiences cannot relate to the drama, then you're not going to give the drama a chance. How can someone born in the 1980's watch a 1980's drama today? It's like us 1960's born people watching The Fugitive or Gunsmoke. It's not just trendy dramas either... Even tokusatsu go through the same generation thing... People born in the 1980's and 1990's can't stand watching Kamen Rider 1 and 2 (1971) because the costumes look old! They can't even watch the old Godzilla movies because cheap props look too corny.

'nuff of my rant!

--- groink

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Dec 16th, '05, 23:32

groink wrote:I'm actually with mieko on this. We must understand the carved-in-stone fact that the majority population of D-Addicts are those who go along with the heavily modified "trendy" drama formula, which moved from the storyline quality of the 80's and 90's, to idols of the 00's. If the drama contains no raggy-cut guys or girl idols, it's basically a flop on D-A.
I guess you, me and a couple of others fall in the minority population that prefer storyline quality of the 80's and 90's. The thing for me about the current dramas is that they never make a lasting impression on me since I can't seem to get into them and at the same time, I can't get myself to watch them over and over again.

About the raggy-cut guys or girls idols, I bet the only way for someone to get into these classic dramas is to say something like "Do you want to see [current idol of choice] before they became famous?" and I'm sure you may convince some people to watch it. However, you're going to get the occasional "Where are the English subtitles for [classic drama]?" and they stop downloading it when it doesn't exist.
Another fact is that, by observing the voting in the 2005 polls within D-A, English subtitles is a MUST for any drama to get attention on D-A. There are a few dramas aired in Japan that blew away Densha Otoko and Hana Yori Dango in the ratings, but I've yet to see them voted on simply because no one subbed them. And I think the same idea rings true for past dramas as well.
I guess this is expected, especially when you see how many people will just not watch something unless subtitles are available. I don't know too many dramas that blew away Densha Otoko and Hana Yori Dango currently, but if you mention in the past, that would make a lot of sense. For 2005, I didn't see too many dramas that I would vote for in the thread that Ruroshin posted and that's why I don't have a post on there.
In order for the golden oldies to reach a much larger audience, one basically needs to stay away from the English-speaking sites like D-A and share them with the Japanese-only message boards with a more mature membership who were actually watching dramas in the 80's. Like mieko, I have hundreds of hours of RAW material via old laser discs, Betamax tapes, and digital recordings off NGN and NHK. But they're rendered worthless on the English-speaking sites.
I can't agree with you more, groink :thumright:

Here's a questions: If someone subbed these classic dramas into English, do you think more people would download them and appreciate them or not?
It basically comes down to the simple fact: If your personal life experiences cannot relate to the drama, then you're not going to give the drama a chance. How can someone born in the 1980's watch a 1980's drama today? It's like us 1960's born people watching The Fugitive or Gunsmoke. It's not just trendy dramas either... Even tokusatsu go through the same generation thing... People born in the 1980's and 1990's can't stand watching Kamen Rider 1 and 2 (1971) because the costumes look old! They can't even watch the old Godzilla movies because cheap props look too corny.
Ah, that's where you're wrong. I was born in the 80's and I don't find anything wrong with the 80's dramas at all, even by today's standards. Sure, the costumes may've been hot at the time, but I think they're still cool. I watched my share of 80's drama when I was growing up and they never bothered me at all. I mean, shows such as Knight Rider, Airwolf, MacGyver and Mission Impossible (the 80's version) are still good after all these years while others may find them cheesy. As for Kamen Rider, they never showed those programs on cable where I lived back then, so I'm sure I would of enjoyed them as well. To me, I can watch Godzilla movies and never complain about the props at all, but I never was a big fan of it unlike someone I know.

So, you ask "how can someone born in the 1980's watch a 1980's drama today?" and my response is "why not? As long as you enjoyed them when you were growing up, it's not a big problem at all. I seen some shows back in the 60's and 70's and they are as good then as they are now (e.g. Three's Company, Batman, Mission Impossible)".

I guess I ranted for too long, but all I can say is that today's dramas can't really match up against dramas of the past, no matter what language you've seen them in.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 17th, '05, 00:00

yt_toshi wrote:Ah, that's where you're wrong. I was born in the 80's and I don't find anything wrong with the 80's dramas at all, even by today's standards.

So, you ask "how can someone born in the 1980's watch a 1980's drama today?" and my response is "why not? As long as you enjoyed them when you were growing up, it's not a big problem at all. I seen some shows back in the 60's and 70's and they are as good then as they are now (e.g. Three's Company, Batman, Mission Impossible)".
Yes, yes... There are exceptional and open-minded people in the world. Thanks for giving me hope for the next generation.

As I pointed out earlier, the dramas you watch is usually based on how you as a person relate to the dramas. Writers and producers have a feel for what the majority of drama fans think. In the 1980's and 1990's, fans wanted dramas about real-life issues, which is what Fuji TV and TBS were famous for creating, and is heavily documented in various publications on the Internet and in printed books.

As the 21st century came about, the writers/producers started seeing a trend where the fans idolize the artists more and more. And as a result, today the artists weigh more than the writing. What caused this? In some ways - advertising dollars are even more valuable than ever, due to various multimedia means. In other ways, the kids who were weened on anime and manga are now the consumers. And third, the talent agencies now own the geinoukai, whereas in the past the TV networks owned the geinoukai.

I'm not saying that the writing and casting today is sh*t. Or maybe I am! :lol In any case, whether or not the oldies are better or worse than the new stuff, my bottom line is that the older RAW Japanese dramas don't have a place on the English-speaking sector of Japanese drama entertainment. Maybe I should create a tracker/message board entitled Oldies.D-Addicts.com and mieko, yt-toshi and I will be the sole members there, kind of like VH-1 is to MTV, or Nickelodean is to CBS.

--- groink

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 17th, '05, 00:11

groink wrote:Maybe I should create a tracker/message board entitled Oldies.D-Addicts.com and mieko, yt-toshi and I will be the sole members there, kind of like VH-1 is to MTV, or Nickelodean is to CBS.

--- groink
Heck, I'm not far behind you Groink... :D I'm with ya...

mieko

Post by mieko » Dec 17th, '05, 03:18

It was always my hope to help generate real interest in older dramas. I guess the percenage
of people who understand (or have a grasp of) Japanese in much much smaller than i would
have expected. Otherwise i would have figured that the response to the stuff i put up would be much higher.

I make it no secret that i am purpetually stuck in the 80's... Why ? Because
it was a much happier time and i will always love the music,movies and TV from that time.
Things mediawise has gone more and more in the crapper since the earlier 90's that i spend most of my media watching and listening time enjoying the 80's (I got my Season 1 21 Jumpstreet DVD box yesterday...WhooHoo :) )

I have felt for the longest time that i am one of the very few major 80's Jpop/Dorama collectors out there that was in existance in North America... I've spend years trying to
find others who shared my love and passion of Classic dorama & Jpop.. Nori-P,Yukko,
& Miporin would mean nothing to anybody who did'nt enjoy the idols of the period.

My Dorama site (even though it's only 30 percent complete) alone indicates that i'm
a little nuts. My 80's jpop library is rather insane along with Anime,Concerts,MTV
& idol Videos... Yet i still haven't found anybody who comes close to the size of my library or willing to trade. I'm not boasting... I'm indicating that i'm rather nuts about the
80's.

Although my experiment on D-Addicts was mostly a failure, i am grateful for the new
fans i have help introduce 80's dramas to and will just offer them to you directly &
i plan to get a 80's Jpop/Dorama blog going to keep you guy on top of new projects
i've got going. I'm currently archiving around 800 VHS & Beta tapes (All 80's
Japanese) to DVD. "Groink... I'm kinda curious about your beta tapes but can discuss it later)

If there comes a day that there is a 80's D-addicts, then i would be a very happy guy !

I think Yoshi asked whether 80's dramas would have more viewership on D-Addicts
if they were English Subbed... I don't think so.

Simply because most of the people on D-addict are strictly into trendy dramas and drooling over newest hunk or starlet. Myself, i do still try to watch current dramas,
but the vast majority of them are so predicable now (since they have been recyling
plots and storylines from th 70's-90's) that they really don't do anything new.

Me and the wife greatly enjoyed Densha Otoko recently, the last drama we enjoyed
that much was Osorubeshii Otonashi Karin back in 97' .... But alot of dramas we will
just turn off after the first episode or two.

Do i still drool over 80's idols ? Yes, of course (Yeah...My wife understands :-) )
BUT UNLIKE PEOPLE TODAY.... I won't watch a drama just beacuse it has a fav idol iit's got to be good and entertaining otherwise i would be no better than the younger fans
today.

Well for now.... If i don't hear from you i will contact all the people who have been supportive and give the heads up to future uploads and give DL links.
Last edited by mieko on Dec 17th, '05, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 29th, '12, 09:47

I recently asked myself what happenend with Doramas in the 80's. I mean, you hardly can get dramas from the 90s, but to get dramas from the 80s is nearly impossible! Great to see that there was a topic about these issue and that there are some digitized 80s dramas, but unfortunately i came 6 years to late to get some of them :P If someone else is interested in old doramas, there is still a sourcet: http://raredoramas.info

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jan 29th, '12, 22:35

Sorvaseven wrote:If someone else is interested in old doramas, there is still a sourcet: http://raredoramas.info
Unfortunately almost all the content on raredoramas was wiped out when Megaupload was closed and Fileserve erased files...

9w2whi

Post by 9w2whi » Dec 8th, '12, 12:37

i hope its not too late for me to give my support for those 80's series. ganbare for the uploaders. since i'm a hew learner for japanese, so eng sub are very important. if there is any old series with eng sub, i'll absolutely dl n share it. chears... ^_^V