[DIscussion] Initial D the Movie (Live-Action)

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Amano

[DIscussion] Initial D the Movie (Live-Action)

Post by Amano » Oct 9th, '05, 12:21

Do u know if the japanese version of Initial D has been release.

Y_T

Post by Y_T » Oct 9th, '05, 12:59

yes

RedLink

Post by RedLink » Oct 9th, '05, 20:32

I had tickets to the preview in Japan :P but couldnt go. It's great to know a lot of ppl :P

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 10th, '05, 05:05

hhms..........no discussion on the movie?

overall, I thought it was an okay movie.....................but i didn't like that Anne Suzuki's voice was dubbed (and the guy from Poor Prince Taro's voice was dubbed, too). Edison was pretty darn hot in that movie~ lols.....and was that Jay Chou's own voice? I mean I know his Cantonese isn't very fluent (he said so himself at his concert last Dec), but the accented Cantonese really sounded like his voice.

Another movie with Shawn Yue and Edison Chen, I thought that was good enough of a reason to watch it (c'mon the "Infernal Affairs" trilogy and "Jiang Hu" were good, right??)

Did anyone notice Kuma from Gokusen??? He stood out even if he did only have a very minor role. I thought that was pretty interesting~ :D

and yes....once again....Edison was hot~ And I'll be the first to admit that his Cantonese has improved tri-fold over the years he's been in HK.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Oct 10th, '05, 06:15

there was another Initial D discussion awhile back, too lazy too look for it. :D the movie was interesting. I didn't watch the anime before watching the movie, so I didn't know what to expect. after I watched the movie, I started wishing I can drive like those guys! :blink I'm glad I don't drive like that, can't really afford the tickets. :)

cmge

Post by cmge » Oct 10th, '05, 06:27

the live action had soo many flaws... >_< ... it just irritated me... being spoiled with anime and the manga i thought the live action would be at least good... but i was wrong... it was horrendous... they tried to fit in too much and messed everythign up.... the drift battles were good tho i hafta agree....

but seriously next time... lets get the japanese ppl make the movie instead of it being a HK flick... -_- ... i was reading in a nother forum they are making a sequal???

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 10th, '05, 15:53

I found the movie rather bland and even though the racings are pretty good, I don't feel attached to any of the characters. The end left me with a 'huh, that's all?'.

Rhocake

Post by Rhocake » Oct 10th, '05, 20:35

Kuma from Gokusen was one of the bad boy racer rodies! According to the credits, he was "NightKid Member 3". It was kinda cool to see

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 11th, '05, 04:43

mikomi wrote:I found the movie rather bland and even though the racings are pretty good, I don't feel attached to any of the characters. The end left me with a 'huh, that's all?'.
although i haven't seen the movie myself, many of my friends were telling me the same thing. the special effects were very nice, but the movie itself was not the greatest....

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Oct 11th, '05, 18:01

kali4niaguy wrote:there was another Initial D discussion awhile back, too lazy too look for it. :D the movie was interesting. I didn't watch the anime before watching the movie, so I didn't know what to expect. after I watched the movie, I started wishing I can drive like those guys! :blink I'm glad I don't drive like that, can't really afford the tickets. :)
I think its a good thing you didn't watch the anime before watching the movie, you would've been disappointed a bit. I felt a bit disappointed, but still liked it. Most of the cast did great. I think Jay Chau played his part pretty good, since its not hard to act as Takumi :roll

@Mikomi: I think the movie left off giving us the impression they might make a sequal....
Last edited by K.T.Tran on Oct 12th, '05, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Oct 11th, '05, 18:24

I don't know if I'd want to watch the sequal.......

I watched the movie first and then the anime but still the moment I watched the anime I start feeling that the movie sucks more and more..........

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Oct 11th, '05, 18:36

Honestly I thought the movie was really bad. I thought they could have done a lot better. It feels like the movie was quite in a rush. The characters doesnt seem to fit that well imo.

DreamCasts

Post by DreamCasts » Oct 12th, '05, 11:10

:glare: So n SO n so the Movies :glare:
:w00t: Is A joke :w00t:
:x JAY CHOW..SOrry YOu r not A GOod Actor :x
:wub: Maybe Girls Like to See HIM :wub: but not Me :pale:
The Animes Still de BEST!!

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Oct 13th, '05, 05:46

yes, Jay Chou dubbed his own voice for the Cantonese version.

CiNN

Post by CiNN » Oct 13th, '05, 06:18

it looks like that japanese version has eurobeat whereas the chinese version has some sort of rock. i'm not sure its just that the japanese trailer has eurobeat on it :wub:

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Oct 13th, '05, 07:56

I was pretty disappointed about the movie, but that is because I follow the anime series. The race scenes were awesome, but the way that they portrayed the charachters were pretty disappointing. I am sure that any fan of the manga/anime would probably feel the same way. I especially had issues with them turning Bunta into a drunk/child abuser, and the way they did Itsuki's charachter...

Yabe

Post by Yabe » Oct 13th, '05, 23:01

Is it true the Japanese version has Eurobeat? I didn't like the film much first time around but I gradually got used it, though I do miss the Eurobeat, it just sets everything up so nicely, Im surprised there wasn't a Japanese project to make this in to a live action. Bunta (Anthony Wong) was kind of cool as he walked around with his eyes closed half the time just like the original, but a lot was re-hashed and took some getting used to. Jay Chou had too much emotion playing Takumi and the story progress far too quickly (the movie practically compiled the first three stages, 39 eps and one movie)

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Oct 15th, '05, 01:28

^ Yep. The anime soundtracks were mostly consisted of Eurobeat.

The movie was really disappointing. I almost fell asleep. =\

I didn't like Bunta's portrayal either. He was cool in the anime but in the movie, he was just a drunkard; almost a comic relief more than an actual character (to me, at least).

I hope they don't make a sequel.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 15th, '05, 19:48

Moomin wrote:^ Yep. The anime soundtracks were mostly consisted of Eurobeat.

The movie was really disappointing. I almost fell asleep. =\

I didn't like Bunta's portrayal either. He was cool in the anime but in the movie, he was just a drunkard; almost a comic relief more than an actual character (to me, at least).

I hope they don't make a sequel.
Although, Bunta seemed sort of cool (as being portrayed as being the wised one with all the knowledge), I really didn't like the fact of him being a drunk and abusive father. :x

ParaParaJMo

Post by ParaParaJMo » Oct 16th, '05, 02:10

The fact that Initial D tried to fit in a lot of stories didn't really bother me. I'm a fan of Initial D, but I never really cared about story/plot/character development. I always thought Initial D is likeable without those things and I could care less about the live action movie itself having a story whether or not it was 100% accurate to the original anime or manga.

As for Jay Chou's acting, I heard it was his debut role, so I'll cut him some slack.

I mostly care about the races and I thought the races were good enough.

leo89

Initial D anime

Post by leo89 » May 14th, '06, 13:03

Hi,,

It's my first time here. I'm trying to look for the anime version of Initial D. It's better than the movie and Jay Chow's weird~~

Does anyone know where i can download this anime?

youkka

Post by youkka » May 14th, '06, 13:23

u can download the anime version at animesuki.com via torrent

jellyman

Post by jellyman » Jul 8th, '06, 15:30

Hehe...I watched this ages ago, last year. Frankly, the only reason I watched this was for the eye candy. Seriously how hot was Edison. And Jay was cute and you really can't say that he can't act since that role didn't require him to do a lot except nod his head and talk once in awhile. I ended up after the movie swooning at the hotness of Edison driving that hot car and the really REALLY cool racing. The plot line wasn't really that great I admit but I thought the characters were quite funny...Jay's dad and Do Mun Zhat (Sorry I don't know his English name or his name in the movie) were quite entertaining. The only thing I didn't like about this movie was Anne Suzuki...she annoys me greatly. But this was an okay movie I guess...worth watching for the eye candy.