Cellphones/Mobiles prices

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
shespink

Cellphones/Mobiles prices

Post by shespink » Jul 3rd, '06, 05:23

This coming september, some of my school friends are going to visit Japan :wub: (im from Australia btw). I would like to know how much cellphones cost. These are the ones i prefer to purchase:
-Samsung D520
-Samsung V840
-Samsung P900
-LG chocolate
-Samsung D820
-PG-K6500

wondering why i wanna buy cellphones in Japan? Only because these cellphones arent available here in australia..

If anyone could infrom me the prices of these cellphones, it will be much of a help. thanks

Final Hero

Post by Final Hero » Jul 3rd, '06, 17:32

https://store.willcom-inc.com/ec/

Source:

Google.co.jp > Mobile

shespink

Post by shespink » Jul 4th, '06, 04:31

Thanks alot :D

DouglasFir

Post by DouglasFir » Jul 7th, '06, 12:09

Wow - they have some nice phones!

So which one are you getting - or are you getting six mobile phones (boy you must be popular!)?

JFC

Post by JFC » Jul 7th, '06, 17:45

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you've checked to make sure that these phones will work outside of Japan, right? From what I hear, almost all of the Japanese cell phone networks are CDMA, and thus their phones won't work outside of Japan. They have a few GSM phones, but there's no guarantee that they run on the same global frequencies that the rest of the world uses.

Again, this is just based on what I've HEARD. You don't necessarily have to take it as fact. Still, I think it's a valid point to consider.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 7th, '06, 17:56

JFC wrote:Not to be a jerk or anything, but you've checked to make sure that these phones will work outside of Japan, right? From what I hear, almost all of the Japanese cell phone networks are CDMA, and thus their phones won't work outside of Japan. They have a few GSM phones, but there's no guarantee that they run on the same global frequencies that the rest of the world uses.

Again, this is just based on what I've HEARD. You don't necessarily have to take it as fact. Still, I think it's a valid point to consider.
extremely extremely important point actually.

EdisonLiu

Post by EdisonLiu » Jul 8th, '06, 00:31

Well the best one to get is from Vodafone, there are ones which works outside of Japan, but cost over $300 US dollars. There designs are very nice and the camera works great

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 9th, '06, 23:53

Those phones are from Korea. They use CDMA. You get them through "SK Telecom." Or, GSM, from the chinese market of course.

If you go to the right stores... they will import phones for you. I have a "Vodafone 903SH," which cost me around 350 USD. I'm with Cingular.

rickt

Post by rickt » Jul 10th, '06, 17:03

well, at least I know for sure that LG Chocolate is not CDMA, becos my friend has it and we also live in Australia. in fact you can get it from Virgin mobile plan for less than AU$200 (if I'm not wrong). here's the link: https://www.virginmobile.com.au/selfcar ... ne=lgkg800

but it's true that you have to make sure that those phones that you're gonna get from Japan can be used here in Australia. not only the GSM and CDMA thing, but when you do get the GSM phone also make sure the phone is not locked onto certain provider only. although you can get it unlocked for about AU$80 here..

btw, that LG Chocolate I mentioned above is locked onto Virgin and Optus network. apparently Virgin either borrows or uses Optus network, so only sim cards from those 2 providers can be used in the phone.

shespink

Post by shespink » Jul 11th, '06, 23:09

Ive already got LG chocolate and you can get one with open line actually.. i got it for alomst $700AUD.. and yeah the phones i mentioned works outside Japan! :wub:

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 12th, '06, 05:45

Awww, should of baught the Samsung 10 mega pixel camera phone, or the HDTV DMB phones, hahaha. But, I doubt the DMB function works outside of Korea.

afroken

Post by afroken » Jul 12th, '06, 21:21

shespink wrote:Ive already got LG chocolate and you can get one with open line actually.. i got it for alomst $700AUD.. and yeah the phones i mentioned works outside Japan! :wub:
I want one~~~!!!! >___<

Thanks for telling. (that the ones you listed work outside JPN)
I've been looking into mobiles for quite a long time (I have a crappy Siemens A50) but I can't decide which one looks good and which one works good. But I've always loved the Vodafone ones.
Would also be interested in a korean one.
I'm guessing you can change the language into English when you have the phone? But I don't think I would mind having it in Japanese..

But I read somewhere that i's illegal to have a phone imported like that? Is it true? Hope not.

Thank you Final Hero and Sharpneru for the links!

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 13th, '06, 03:16

No, I don't think it's illegal. You can import the phone, it's just if your provider will allow it.

http://www.gsmarena.com/

All the GSM phones. All of them are released through chinese market.
Some T-Mobile, some Cingular, but I think all of them work for both companies, just that your dealer provides them or not.

So far if you want a "true" Japanese phone, it's impossible, becuase USA does not support 3G, and some phones are created for a specific company, and that company doesn't allow the phones to be outside of Japan like... NTTdocomo or something. Probably only way is the phone being sold to chinese market or... hacked?

My phone, "Vodafone 903SH," it's from Japan, but it looks different. Japan has the same model number but looks different, and looks better in my opinion.
Panasonic phones, I think most Japanese use those, and the ones sold chinese market look the same. I'm thinking of downgradeing my phone, to get a panasonic, going for the looks now. cause the camera on these phones sorta suck, even though this vodafone had 3.2mp. it just isn't that great.

afroken

Post by afroken » Jul 13th, '06, 09:11

(from what I can remember) 3G is supported in Europe.
I don't really care if it's a true jpnese one or not, I really just like the design and stuff. ^^

Thank you for providing more information, I will search for more on GSM phones, thx for the link !!!