Japanese Singer Ayumi was insulted by Korean Critics

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
captain-nippon

Japanese Singer Ayumi was insulted by Korean Critics

Post by captain-nippon » Jul 20th, '06, 09:11

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/ ... 90010.html

yumi's Hit Solo Debut Divides Online Critics
Ayumi's debut as a solo artist after leaving the saccharine combo Sugar has divided amateur critics on the Internet.

Ayumi's recent appearance on SBS singing her title track "Cutie Honey" did not meet with universal approval from web users. "I thought a Japanese singer had taken the stage," one patriot complained. But others were more positive: "That fiery dance was just too sexy."

"Cutie Honey" is Ayumi's adaptation of the J-pop star Koda Kumi's hit of the same title.

The main bone of contention is that the Korean-Japanese singer’s outfit was as unambiguously Japanese as her name. She took the stage in a light blue shirt and white miniskirt that allowed her waistline to show clearly, a getup reminiscent of Sailor Moon.

Her agency says the outfit was chosen because the original piece was a Manga theme song. But it hotly denies imitating Koda Kumi, saying the aim was “to emphasize Ayumi’s sexy beauty in an original fashion."

The singer’s less than perfect pronunciation of the Korean lyrics has also upset patriots. Despite countless repetitions in the studio to ensure that the pronunciation came through clearly, viewers complained they couldn’t understand the lyrics.

But the politics of race has done "Cutie Honey" no harm, the catchy tune having already ridden all the way to the top of online charts. Additionally, the decision to shake off her cute and precocious image and emphasize her feminine appeal has also earned praise.

In the midst of the contradictory reviews by fans, it looks like Ayumi's solo walk through the Pop music world will become a closely watched issue for the summer.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

groink

Post by groink » Jul 20th, '06, 09:23

Very interesting... Usually the Japanese is completely thrilled when non-Japanese speakers make an attempt to speak the language. This one instance sounds to me like the Koreans aren't as happy about it. But they shouldn't speak so negatively... They totally trash the English langauge in their dramas.

--- groink

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Jul 20th, '06, 12:15

Aww. She's too hot to be insulted :(

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 20th, '06, 12:24

Online Critics. LIttle Kids on message boards trying to be mean. Total non news.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jul 20th, '06, 13:32

groink wrote:Very interesting... Usually the Japanese is completely thrilled when non-Japanese speakers make an attempt to speak the language. This one instance sounds to me like the Koreans aren't as happy about it. But they shouldn't speak so negatively... They totally trash the English langauge in their dramas.

--- groink
Ayumi was singing in Korean.

I really dislike Korean music fans (from Korea)... they are full of too many complaints and too much drama. Same goes for many english language speaking fans of JPop.

At least here in Japan, folks are just indifferent to things they don't like.

I liked the performance and it was a nice breath of fresh air compared to the weak attempts to rip off American hip hop in Korean music nowadays... it's a good throw-back to when music was fun in Korea circa the late 90s.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 20th, '06, 13:41

hikkichan wrote:
groink wrote:Very interesting... Usually the Japanese is completely thrilled when non-Japanese speakers make an attempt to speak the language. This one instance sounds to me like the Koreans aren't as happy about it. But they shouldn't speak so negatively... They totally trash the English langauge in their dramas.

--- groink
Ayumi was singing in Korean.

I really dislike Korean music fans (from Korea)... they are full of too many complaints and too much drama. Same goes for many english language speaking fans of JPop.

At least here in Japan, folks are just indifferent to things they don't like.
i so agree, there are people on this forum who feel a need to say WHAT sucks and WHY things suck. its amazing to me how people spend time to make sure others know that even though they like things, they really suck.

:whistling:

imaretard

Post by imaretard » Oct 8th, '06, 03:19

dxtr wrote:Aww. She's too hot to be insulted :(
very rite

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » Oct 9th, '06, 14:10

Even if she couldn't pronounce it right they shouldn't be so critisizing!!!
And plus....It a catchy tune! That should've been good enough. ^^

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 9th, '06, 14:35

I actually like the Korean bluntness and honesty quite a bit. Koreans are the kind of people that will tell you to your face what they don't like about things, even if it directly involves you. If takes some time getting used to - however, now that I am used to it, I value the Korean way of being honest and open like that. You don't have to second guess a Korean, whereas a Japanese can be seen as cunning. Of course, you can also turn it the other way around and say Koreans are tactless while the Japanese have more manners and are more concerned about harmony.

@niko: why would writing about a drama that sucked be a waste of time? I consider critical voices a valuable source when trying to pick a new drama to watch.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 9th, '06, 15:22

Néa Vanille wrote:I actually like the Korean bluntness and honesty quite a bit. Koreans are the kind of people that will tell you to your face what they don't like about things, even if it directly involves you. If takes some time getting used to - however, now that I am used to it, I value the Korean way of being honest and open like that. You don't have to second guess a Korean, whereas a Japanese can be seen as cunning. Of course, you can also turn it the other way around and say Koreans are tactless while the Japanese have more manners and are more concerned about harmony.

@niko: why would writing about a drama that sucked be a waste of time? I consider critical voices a valuable source when trying to pick a new drama to watch.
Usually the opinions are extremely biased and inaccurate. There is a difference between a review and a bashing.

For example here is my review for densha otoko deluxe
The story continues the relationship between densha and hermes. Densha is now trying to get the courage to ask her to marry him while a corporate executive is planning on destroying their relationship and using it for corporate gain.

I honestly thought that throughout the movie most of the things involved were unnecessary and stupid. The trip to tahiti was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Densha otoko is supposed to be based on real events, that means even though the story is fantasy it has to be believable. Black pearl? Fortune at birth? A real shaman to guard it? These are all ridiculous notions that may fit something like anime, but not a drama based on real events.

The ending though was really superb I thought. The people on the chat really displayed a great deal of affection and acting and it looked nice how they were able to affect everyone at the event. Definitely the highlight of the movie.
Here is a bashing
OMG that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. WTF does tahiti and some stupid black pearl have to do with densha otoko? DO is a story of an otaku who comes together with a beauty, not some sailor moon bullshit about magic pearls that tell peoples futures? I heard of gap fillins but that was ridiculously dumb. Trust me, don't watch it unless you want your IQ to drop a few points.
See the difference? Unfortunately, in my experience negative review are usually nothing more than bashings like the one I wrote and are nothing more than a waste of time and eyesore to read.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Oct 9th, '06, 15:27

Néa Vanille wrote:I actually like the Korean bluntness and honesty quite a bit. Koreans are the kind of people that will tell you to your face what they don't like about things, even if it directly involves you. If takes some time getting used to - however, now that I am used to it, I value the Korean way of being honest and open like that. You don't have to second guess a Korean, whereas a Japanese can be seen as cunning. Of course, you can also turn it the other way around and say Koreans are tactless while the Japanese have more manners and are more concerned about harmony.

i guess i should clarify, i dont think people should review things that by nature, they don't like. People who don't like k-drama's reveiw them to bash them. people who don't like j-pop idols review koda kumi cd's so the rest of the world know she sucks. people who don't like silly j-dramas feel the endless need to say densha otoko sucked. like that... they might be right, but there is no way to know. there's a LOT of that when you see people's opinions. i never review genre's i dislike - i really disliked Sapuri but i never posted in that thread what i really thought cause its not my thing genre wise so i feel like im biased...

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 9th, '06, 15:58

Of course I know the difference between bashing and reviewing. :blink
However, I felt that this thread was giving off a certain anti-Korean air, and I just wanted to clarify that Korean honesty can be very much a virtue sometimes, just as much as it can be stupid and unnecessary other times. I'm not going to say I think any of the comments directed at that singer were nice, however I don't think it's worth getting worked up over - singers have shown throughout recent history that causing controversy is often the key to success. This Japanese singer is probably getting a lot of attention precisely because some people are against her.

@niko: thanks for clarifying.

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » Oct 10th, '06, 14:00

Well, what everyones saying about honestly is definantly true. PErhaps ayumi can learn from this and work on her singing abit more and what the people there would perfer for the concert/

snowbird

Post by snowbird » Oct 10th, '06, 14:19

ayumi's korean pronounciation is soo cute >_<

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Oct 10th, '06, 18:35

well, she was better as a SUGAR-GIRL!!! Not to compare with Kumi Koda! Ayumi is too unexperienced as a solo artist, but wait wait.. she is able to improve!

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Oct 11th, '06, 14:25

It's a controversy that's been raging for a while, pretty much since the album came out in summer (August?).

The album was intentionally controversial as a promotion technique. Main reason they used Ayumi (other than the fact that she's hot) is that, iirc, she was raised in Japan (tho of korean descent).

I'm wouldn't doubt it if it came out that the record labels stirred up the anti-Japanese sentiments just for the sales

Daijoubu

Post by Daijoubu » Oct 13th, '06, 07:19

Néa Vanille wrote:...I value the Korean way of being honest and open like that. You don't have to second guess a Korean, whereas a Japanese can be seen as cunning. Of course, you can also turn it the other way around and say Koreans are tactless while the Japanese have more manners and are more concerned about harmony...
Your phrasing make it seems like all Korean are more honest and open with their opinions than Japanese who can be seen as cunning because they're are more mannered. I think it's unfair to make this universal judgment of two different but similar cultures. I'm sure there are the tactless and rude but also the quiet and well-mannered people from both cultures (for that matter, people from any culture).

Daijoubu

Post by Daijoubu » Oct 13th, '06, 07:23

Just wondering, shouldn't Ayumi be considered a Korean singer since she's technically Korean and performed with a group that was primarily made up of Korean singers?

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Oct 13th, '06, 07:34

Daijoubu wrote:Just wondering, shouldn't Ayumi be considered a Korean singer since she's technically Korean and performed with a group that was primarily made up of Korean singers?
Yes, that's correct. Some misinformation is going on in this thread. Ayumi is not Ayumi of jpop queen fame. Ayumi is the zainichi Korean ex- member of kpop girl group Sugar. The two are most definitely not to be confused with each other. Btw, "zainichi" simply means that she's a Korean who was born or grew up in Japan.

Some other misinformation: "Insulted by Korean critics" is a mischaracterization. It's more like "message board peeps didn't like Ayumi's new single". I think the thread starter has some issues he should check, given his case of misguided loggorhea.

Song, person, and performance:

eyesonme

Post by eyesonme » Oct 13th, '06, 07:42

lol incredible

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Oct 13th, '06, 08:03

Uh, cappy's not exactly known for getting his facts straight before he starts posting anything he sees as having anything to do with anyone or anything that seemingly dares to be so presumptuous as to favor Korea over Japan....

snowbird

Post by snowbird » Oct 13th, '06, 12:45

i'm not sure why people even bother to seriously answer to any threads created by captain-nippon.
there should be a faq you can link to, everytime captain nippon starts a new topic.

i have yet to a see thread from captain nippon that is not provocative or easily misunderstandable.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Oct 14th, '06, 01:40

ok, i just don't want to deal with these hot button threads that keep popping up after months of inactivity...
so, locking...

finally...:fear: