Visiting somone's workplace in Jdoramas

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
goygakgoy

Visiting somone's workplace in Jdoramas

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 22nd, '06, 02:38

After watching many Jdoramas, I notice one wierd aspect, coming from a view from somebody raised in America. I notice that often, ppl would go visit somebody at their workpace, even when they are busy working. Person would put everything down to see the guest. Then they would talk about ANYTHING that could have been talked about on the phone or at a better time.

My question is, is this a reflection of Japanese society or is it just made up? Even if it's made up, I still find it odd to do so...just seems wierd.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 22nd, '06, 03:18

hm, that's an interesting observation. i guess it might be a culture thing.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Oct 22nd, '06, 12:05

Wow, yeah, that's a pretty good observation. But as for how real it is, It might be a little different. Considering the stories I've heard of salaymen being overworked and stuff, I'm not so sure it's really realistic. I could be wrong though..Nice observation

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Oct 22nd, '06, 12:12

I'm pretty sure it's made up.

I think it's similar to the american tv series where a detective decides to conduct a private investigation during working hours and no one seems to care... :-)

anoney

Post by anoney » Oct 22nd, '06, 12:28

Yep, gonna have to agree that this is made up.

Whenever I've visited the workplace of all my Japanese friends, it's always a short glance with a quick acknowledgement and a "let's phone/talk after I've finished working". Most times a buchou/kachou/shachou (department chief/section chief/company head) is in the vicinity and would probably not scold him/her in front of me for talking to friends during work hours, but will definitely mention something behind the scenes. When the situation is reversed, I do the same and they don't seem to be bothered at all. In fact, some times they suggest I get back to work quickly or I'll get told off.

Generally though, unless it's something super important, they will not come knocking at the door of the corporation you work at just to ask if you're going to pick up some milk on the way home. Texting really helps solve these kinds of situations. The only time I can see you being genuinely interrupted at work is if it's a big big thing between you and your wife/girlfiriend, or some domestic problem which needs to be solved right away.

Having said all that, it does depend on the kind of work you (or your friend) does. Office, retail, etc, they each treat this situation slightly differently.