Most Japanophiles haven't visited Japan yet

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
kickedoutjapanese

Post by kickedoutjapanese » Jan 29th, '07, 09:17

LdyPixie wrote:I do have a question to ask however. What is the average/typical opinion(I'm talking stereotypes here) of an african american(completely white-washed, mind you) to a Japanese person?

I had a bad experience in San Francisco where I was waiting for the bus on Market St along with a few Japanese guys. I said hello and asked if they were touring San Francisco(in Japanese). Three of them outright ignored me. One guy said Yes, they were(very rudely in English). Then they all ignored me. Ever since then I've felt skeptical about visiting Japan. Maybe they were just spoiled brats, rich enough to tour America, or maybe it was because I approached them, or maybe because I'm black. I'd really like to know.
Well. I'm japanese and have to say those japanese doesn't even know how to speak politely. Since rap music got popular in japan, some japanese people (especially young) think swear words are cool and learning those words means mastering English. I learned english and am working in Canada right now. But I'm still learning how to speak and write politely in English. We have "Keigo" which is completely different words from we usually use for normal conversation. But it's hard to find the differences in English. And I guess they ignore you because they didn't expect somebody to be interested in them. As far as I know, some japanese people ignores (or makes big smiles on their faces lol) when something which they don't expect happens. I wasn't there so I can't say these are reasons but I can say you were unlucky. I'm indie musician and know how large black music scene is in Japan. They love black music, people and culture. and people like my mom think "Black people have warm heart". I don't know exact typical opinion, but I hope this post helps you. Well, please forgive my bad english lol. I just signed up this forum for replying you.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 29th, '07, 14:39

kickedoutjapanese wrote:Well. I'm japanese and have to say those japanese doesn't even know how to speak politely. Since rap music got popular in japan, some japanese people (especially young) think swear words are cool and learning those words means mastering English.
so the rap translation of "gomen kudasai" would be "f#ck off"? :P