Just got back from Japan (Tokyo).. Roppongi impressions

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Turbinator

Just got back from Japan (Tokyo).. Roppongi impressions

Post by Turbinator » Aug 10th, '07, 21:01

Hi all,

What do y'alls think of Roppongi?

I just got back from a week business trip in Japan. This was my 2nd trip in 2 years, the first was for vacation and the second was for business. Both trips were awesome and I love going there.

On this 2nd trip, I had heard from some native coworkers about an area in Tokyo called Roppongi, reputed to be the famous "red light district" of Tokyo. Now, being a guy, this caught my interest and I started daydreaming about what it might be like to take a visit and look around.

Thursday night came around and my native Japanese coworker and I boarded a train bound for Roppongi to check it out. Both of us are happily married and have no need to stray, if you know what I mean, but my curiousity was fueling my desire to take a look. Got off the train, exited the station, and bam, you're smack in the middle of a bunch of bars and clubs teeming with nightlife. We hit the sidewalks and started going down the streets to see what's going on - I fully expected to see attractive people lining the streets - a menagerie of eye candy, I thought.

Almost immediately we were approached by several dudes trying to get us to go into the bars and clubs to check out the girls. What surprised me most is that these dudes were African (from Africa based on the accents) and most were initially approaching us speaking Japanese, then English once they found out I spoke English. I was quite surprised and didn't expect to see this in Japan. As we continued down the sidewalk, one guy followed us, trying to get my native coworker to get inside. I said, "No, no, not for him." Hearing the English, the guy then turned to me, and asked "How about for you?" I shot back, "No, not for me either." As we continued down the sidewalk leaving him behind, I heard him ask, "Gay?" I laughed to myself as we shuffled along.. (no, we aren't gay)

It wasn't too long after when I realized there was no eye candy on the street. There were just suit-clad African guys lining the whole street trying to get us to go in and spend upwards of $1,000 USD on drinks with girls, not including any "special services" so to speak. I started to feel a bit disappointed, then sad, as I thought about how people came over here to run the trade in Japan. After getting accosted a few more times, we got outta there and headed back to where I was staying.

This isn't meant to be a statement on races or morals, so don't take it that way. But I've walked through Amsterdam and the way the trade is applied there is just totally different. It's legal in Amsterdam, people get licenses, and it's considered a normal job out there. There aren't sleezy pimps hanging around trying to pry your money out of your wallet (or at least there weren't when I toured through). I just felt the whole Roppongi experience seemed a bit sad.

What about you - what do you think? Have you been there? How did you feel? What was it like? Did you pay for anything? :)

Just sharing my thoughts and observations..

Turby

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Aug 10th, '07, 21:17

Kabukacho in Shinjuku and other places are more famous red light district then Roppongi is.

Roppongi is more famous because many foreigners and expats spend night-life there, in clubs and bars.

For Roppongi I only go there for the upscale shopping districts and other sights that I do see during the day time, since there are a lot of expat businesses in the area.

The people coming up to you trying to get you into hostess bars or clubs is quiet norm in many entertainment districts in Japan at night, so I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting.
Prostitution is illegal in Japan, so there are other businesses that skim the law. Its quiet complicated to explain so you'll have to read books and research material on Japanese culture to explain how it all works. However there are many legit hostess bars in Roppongi and elsewhere where all you do is pay a crazy amount of money and have a hostess pour you a drink. Nothing scandally about it.

But for Roppongi itself at night, thats where you want to hang out with other foreigners at clubs and bars, and because there is a large expat community in Roppongi, there are many establishments are owned by Africans, Brits, Australians etc..

vulgarshudder

Post by vulgarshudder » Aug 12th, '07, 16:39

Urgh I hate roppongi. Just oozes sleezy foriegners kind of thing. My dentist was there, so I fortunetly only had to go there in the day time.

The black guys that hang out on the streets no matter what their trade are really pushy...

As said Kabukicho is more famous red light district, there are a few live houses which I used to go to in there, and it's sleezy but not really that bad an impression. You won't see girls lining the streets tho, just the occasional trannie.

Turbinator

Post by Turbinator » Aug 13th, '07, 14:11

Thanks for the comments, I actually stayed in Shinjuku but on the west side where the business buildings are, at the Century Hyatt. I was told that there were some spots to see on the northeast side on the other end of the train station, but was also warned that the area over there also has a healthy population of gangsters?

But yeah, the Roppongi area just felt sleazy at night, I think that's why I didn't like it there.

Turby

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Aug 14th, '07, 12:28

This isn't roppongi roppongi, you were literally on the other side of the tracks, the other side of the highway. I think most people who visit Roppongi don't even go near there. Yes, it's sleazy and icky BUT it's sleazy and icky. Anything off the main street in Roppongi (and on the other side of the overpass which is either a train or a highway and i cant remember), the side not near Almonds) is disgusting. The side steets with the massage parlors are icky too.

:salut: Just want to clear up, i think most people who visit Roppongi are going huh? Not that i like Roppongi mind you, its overpriced, its boring. Its where you go in Japan where you want to stay westernized but be in Japan. its dull....

Chrisswe

Post by Chrisswe » Aug 14th, '07, 12:40

It doesn't sound that glamorous. By the way, what exactly is a hostess-club? I've seen alot of them in dramas etc but never really got the point of them,.. what, people pay a bunch of cash for women to pour drinks for them and talk to them? Isn't that kind of sad?

TreySteezly

Roppongi (lame-ness)

Post by TreySteezly » May 14th, '10, 17:51

Hey yeah its actually a really funny story... me and my family came here to visit, we've been seeing alot of the sites throughout the week and had to find a new hotel for our last night here (tonight).. anyways my buddy and I went out night skating after we were done site seeing.. it was like 1am and we wanted to see if there were any rub n' tug parlors or possibly strip clubs... we're 20 years old what do you expect... so before we looked we came and researched it and i found this forum and was weirded out by the fact that its not japanese people running these establishments...

sure enough we left our boards in our room and right when we walked outside we were basically attacked by several african gentlemen who were very persistent... i dont know what came over me but i was immediately disgusted and had no desire other than to return to my room and forget i even wanted to go look at strippers or get a happy ending...

honestly its a very large waste of energy and money to go out and pay for women... i had a straight up epiphany and am probably going to meditate and figure out what im doing with my life. there are alot of corrupt people and things in this world and i dont plan on involving myself in these kinds of acts anymore. the fact that foreigners have come to tokyo and are soliciting women and sinful acts doesn't exactly sit well with me, a nice nightclub where you can see the actual culture and dance with pretty girls is alot more appealing then getting sloppy seconds off 5,000 other people... or going to a strip club and watch women parade themselves nude because they couldn't make it through highschool...

anyway sorry i went off so much, hopefully you steer clear of such devious and juvenile experiences and see tokyo for what its really worth... there are alot of cool sites see and places to go, i recommend:

Tokyo Tower
Really big building with Tokyo City View (1,500yen)
Akihabara
Asakusa
Shibuya
if you have children, Tokyo Disney Resort

Have a great day/night, take care and stay safe!

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 11th, '10, 21:25

Roppongi is the worst sh*t hole in japan, i hate that place and i dont recommend anyone to ever visit it. Horrible. But luckily its only like that there - in whole japan. Filthy creeps trying to rip you off all the time. Btw did you know all of that is controlled by the yakuza? Its the yakuza who import them from africa,

The rest, the sleezy whites looking for a cheap lay are also funny to look at

And Kabukicho isnt that bad actually, ive had many interesting meetings there and alot of fun talk with funny host guys. :mrgreen: Quite enjoy it there! There is also an amazing game center called las vegas in the middle of it :mrgreen: :w00t:

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Aug 11th, '10, 22:52

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit
and it goes by the name of
ROPPONGI

At the top of the hole sit the privileged few
Making mock of the vermin in the lonely zoo
turning beauty to filth and greed...
I too have sailed the world and seen its wonders,
for the cruelty of men is as wonderous as Peru
but there's no place like
ROPPONGI!

cokinawa2

Be Cautious

Post by cokinawa2 » Aug 15th, '10, 13:12

I had always heard of the Roppongi district, so while in Tokyo I just had to visit. I was disappointed but still had a good time. Just as you said, as soon as my friends and I made our way from the train station to the area, we were propositioned non stop from these African guys to go to these clubs. "Come on man, tittys and beer." was the most common line I heard.
At first we tried to be cordial in turning these guys down but eventually had to resort to telling them to just leave us alone and that we had no interest in going to their "clubs". It was non stop wherever we were on the streets and at cretain areas my trust of these guys was pretty low.
Bottom line is we still had a pretty good time. However proceed with caution. A couple of guys I know were there not too long ago and got caught up in a drink spiking incident. The last thing they could remember was being in one of those bars drinking their drinks. The next thing they knew they woke up with no idea where they were with their wallets gone and a little bloodied. So be careful.