Do you like Japan? Well, Japan doesn't like you!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Nov 17th, '07, 07:22

|ZERO| wrote:One can only accurately know about a culture if one is of that culture. Even if you are a white man living in Japan and can speak and read Japanese fluently and have a Japanese wife, you still will never know what it is to be Japanese. That's the whole point of being Japanese, only the Japanese can be Japanese.
That is definitely not true. What is being a certain race, anyway? It all ends at culture. Past that we're all a part of the human race. So start thinking of people as equals. Everyone has the opportunity to share and learn from one another on this planet.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 07:33

It's not about equality or supremacy. It is just about being uniquely different. And there are those who are completely fulfilled with what they are and what they have and are not interested in learning about things that they do not care to benefit from.
Last edited by |ZERO| on Nov 17th, '07, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 07:37

quashlo wrote:
And if this couple has children, would you consider them Japanese?
It makes no sense for you to ask my opinion on this since I am not Japanese and so do not concern myself with whether the children are Japanese or not. What is important is if a Japanese would or not. Perhaps you should ask a Japanese person.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Nov 17th, '07, 08:00

|ZERO| wrote:
quashlo wrote:
It makes no sense for you to ask my opinion on this since I am not Japanese and so do not concern myself with whether the children are Japanese or not. What is important is if a Japanese would or not. Perhaps you should ask a Japanese person.
Actually, you aren't making a lot of sense here... My point is exactly what Gabriel is getting at. You are trying to attach culture to a person's "race" or ethnicity, when it has nothing to do with that. While what you consider Japanese culture may have historically developed within one ethnic group (with significant influences from other peoples), does that automatically make anybody who is not ethnically "pure" Japanese but who still participates in the culture (e.g. a half-and-half child, an Ainu who has assimilated into mainstream Japanese society) "not Japanese"? I don't buy that. And I would be willing to bet most of Japan wouldn't either.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 17th, '07, 08:05

What if a non-Japanese person was adopted and raise in Japan by a Japanese family? What is their culture then? Are they Japanese?

Personally I believe culture has nothing to do with the blood in your veins. If you marry a Japanese person there is nothing wrong with embracing and adopting their culture as well.
A willingness to take the effort to learn about a culture shows you are sincere to start with.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 08:15

quashlo wrote:
|ZERO| wrote:
quashlo wrote:
Actually, you aren't making a lot of sense here... My point is exactly what Gabriel is getting at. You are trying to attach culture to a person's "race" or ethnicity, when it has nothing to do with that. While what you consider Japanese culture may have historically developed within one ethnic group (with significant influences from other peoples), does that automatically make anybody who is not ethnically "pure" Japanese but who still participates in the culture (e.g. a half-and-half child, an Ainu who has assimilated into mainstream Japanese society) "not Japanese"? I don't buy that. And I would be willing to bet most of Japan wouldn't either.
I have made no such claims. Nor do I want to bother with defining ethnicity or race. A Japanese is obviously a Japanese, a Spaniard is a Spaniard. I don't know why you are so confused about things that are so apparent and obvious. So when you went to Korea did you ask if those people were Korean?
Last edited by |ZERO| on Nov 17th, '07, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 08:19

Puppet Princess wrote:What if a non-Japanese person was adopted and raise in Japan by a Japanese family? What is their culture then? Are they Japanese?

A willingness to take the effort to learn about a culture shows you are sincere to start with.
Again, I am not Japanese so it is meaningless for me to answer such a question. Only a Japanese person can answer that. I am sincerely about knowing my own culture well and that is what is most important.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 17th, '07, 08:20

|ZERO| wrote: I have made no such claims. Nor do I want to bother with defining ethnicity or race. A Japanese is obviously a Japanese, a Spaniard is a Spaniard. I don't know why you are so confused about tings that are so apparent and obvious.
Race is not always that simple. You can't apply the statement a 'Japanese is a Japanese' to mixed person.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 17th, '07, 08:24

|ZERO| wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:What if a non-Japanese person was adopted and raise in Japan by a Japanese family? What is their culture then? Are they Japanese?

Again, I am not Japanese so it is meaningless for me to answer such a question. Only a Japanese person can answer that. I am sincerely about knowing my own culture well and that is what is most important.
You can interchange the race to make it relevant you know. It is a general question. Whatever race you are, what would you consider the person?

My guess from everything you've said is that you wouldn't accept them as a member of your culture.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 08:26

quashlo wrote:
Actually, you While what you consider Japanese culture may have historically developed within one ethnic group (with significant influences from other peoples), does that automatically make anybody who is not ethnically "pure" Japanese but who still participates in the culture.
What an odd creature you are!

Why do you prefer to simply argue against my opinion instead of researching things for yourself? If you want to know about Japanese history then find a book on it. The same goes for anthropology and all the other subjects that you are uneducated about. I have told you what I think is valuable and meaningful and you acknowledge this yet want to continue trolling with silly blather. I am not your school teacher or slave sir! Do your own research -- I care not to educate you given your terrible record of laziness and willful ignorance. You make false claims that are quickly refuted but this never gives you pause before posting, nor do you show any work indicating an interest in educating yourself.
Last edited by |ZERO| on Nov 17th, '07, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 08:30

Puppet Princess wrote:
You can interchange the race to make it relevant you know. It is a general question. Whatever race you are, what would you consider the person?

My guess from everything you've said is that you wouldn't accept them as a member of your culture.
I am not interested in generalizing about races but would rather focus on what is meaningful. The person is both one thing and another thing at the same time.

BTW, though we have been kind of arguing, I can't help but like you. Smiles.

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Nov 17th, '07, 08:39

I can't hellp but to think Filipino's are not considered asians lol!

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Nov 17th, '07, 08:50

In the midst of all this I'd like to tell you one of my favorite stories. I heard it many years ago and it may or may not be true. Who knows? But it warms the cockles of my heart every time I tell it so please indulge me.

Many years ago there was a young man who lived in Kyoto and studied Japanese full-time. He lived in a neighborhood that had lots of kids and they often chatted with him as he went about his daily life. One day, one of these kids had a new friend over. While they were playing in a local park, this young man passed by. The new friend had never seen him before and said, "Heh, look! A gaijin (foreigner)!" His friend, the local kid, replied, "Nah...that's just his face."

I'll leave it at that...

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Nov 17th, '07, 09:05

Puppet Princess wrote:
|ZERO| wrote:People who have experienced cultural unity understand its meaningfulness and treasure it.
You don't have to ignorant to have cultural unity.

As for the Filipino thing. Now that I think about I've noticed it a lot of cultures do look down on Filipinos for some reason. I think it's because they are a race originating from racial mixing, so most of the races who consider themselves "Asian" don't see them as "pure." Though Asian is not a race it's a region of the world. Russian and Indians are also Asian but no one seems to acknowledge it.
and we, Turks, are Euroasians :D
Hanakurosu wrote:I can't hellp but to think Filipino's are not considered asians lol!
well, if they consider me as a foreigner and call gaijin, i'll punch them :D

Personally I believe culture has nothing to do with the blood in your veins. If you marry a Japanese person there is nothing wrong with embracing and adopting their culture as well.
yes :O i really wonder about it, someone should make a dorama about it :D

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 09:05

Hanakurosu wrote:I can't hellp but to think Filipino's are not considered asians lol!
Of course they are Asian. They share the same culture and civilization as the people who created the great empires of China and the refined arts of Japan!

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Nov 17th, '07, 09:13

^Great story, Nonbirira... Kids are wonderful. :lol
I think that says more than I could ever say.

And with that I will be leaving this discussion before it degenerates further...

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Nov 17th, '07, 09:47

in the school im at there is a boy whos parents are actually russian but the whole family has lived in japan scince he was three
everything about him is exactly like a japanese boy except the white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes (and the fact he can speak russian) but because hes different he still gets bullied in school

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Nov 17th, '07, 10:40

|ZERO| wrote:
Of course they are Asian. They share the same culture and civilization as the people who created the great empires of China and the refined arts of Japan!
I don't mean to offend someone but where did the idea of Filipinos not considered as "asians" came from? come to think of it Philippines is just located under Japan (any moron can pin-point Philippines in the map within the Asia region)... whether Asian this or that... Asian is not an ethnicity... its a region... so whom Japanese friends doesn't consider Filipinos as Asians? :alcoholic:

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Nov 17th, '07, 11:35

Hanakurosu wrote:
|ZERO| wrote:
I don't mean to offend someone but where did the idea of Filipinos not considered as "asians" came from? come to think of it Philippines is just located under Japan (any moron can pin-point Philippines in the map within the Asia region)... whether Asian this or that... Asian is not an ethnicity... its a region... so whom Japanese friends doesn't consider Filipinos as Asians? :alcoholic:
I'm sorry but...weren't you the one who said it? You said:"I can't help but to think Filipino's are not considered asians" You were the first one to raise the issue in the thread, and the only answer you got is from someone who disagree with the concept of Filipinno's not being asian(I feel the same too as a matter of fact lol, it's obvious Filipinno's ARE asians) , so I don't quite understand what point you are trying to make here, but maybe it's me...

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Nov 17th, '07, 12:38

nadesico wrote:
Hanakurosu wrote:
|ZERO| wrote:
I'm sorry but...weren't you the one who said it? You said:"I can't help but to think Filipino's are not considered asians" You were the first one to raise the issue in the thread, and the only answer you got is from someone who disagree with the concept of Filipinno's not being asian(I feel the same too as a matter of fact lol, it's obvious Filipinno's ARE asians) , so I don't quite understand what point you are trying to make here, but maybe it's me...

i think he was just commenting about from the previous post.. :scratch:
if you did a bit of back reading you would understand it...

Alveric

Post by Alveric » Nov 17th, '07, 13:12

That story of the kids in Kyoto is really great! It really tells a lot about human nature.
Since they could communicate with the young man perfectly, WHAT exactly was foreign about him? Only the face, of course, which you can't change nor do you have to. This all has to do with cross-cultural communication.

It also says a lot about learning a foreign Language. I'm a Japanese language teacher (I am not Japanese), thank you for telling that story, I'll tell it to my students in case they fear racism when they go to Japan. Like I said in a previous post, racism in Japan is not worse than in other countries. It is definitely wrong but it takes centuries to overcome. The fear of the unknown, that is.

Learning the language certainly helps. People in Europe, Canada and Latin America try to learn foreing languages since very early in life. Americans less so, but that trend is reverting.

Racism and anti-foreign propaganda is particulary strong in Asia because of the wars and all the deep resentment accumulated over decades and passed on to the children. Since the parents couldn't do anything about it, they instill this hate on the children hoping one day they will avenge the nation's pride or whatever?. Very sad, really. And this is very true with Japan-Korea(s)-China. In some aspects they love each other (mainly commerce, because nobody fights with money), but for the most part, they consider themselves either superior or victmized by their neighbor (and both feelings at one time). This is what, has prevented them from working together for a better, more unified Asia. Even Korea, one culture, one people, but two nations.

Racism is taught. It is learned, from teachers, family and social structure in a country. And it is all a perception really, since only a very very small percentage of the genetic structure makes you "white" or "yellow" or "red" or "black" or pink! for all I care. This kind of reasoning doesn't even hold scientific ground, yet, since it is accepted "culturally" as true (the weird association of nation and race you see in Asia) then, there's nothing you can do about it.

I suggest watching the movie "GO", a japanese movie about a japanese boy with Korean ancestry and a "true" Japanese girl that fall in love. It really portrays perfectly how this "racism" is so silly it doesn't stand a chance against a few things that really matter in life: Love, friendship and mutual understanding.

Time will tell. We'll just have to wait for all the people who want to teach and promote hate to either give up, or, sorry to be so crude, die off. Then maybe children will be able to be children and make friends without looking as superficially as their skin, which is what they would normally do unless told differently by the society.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Nov 17th, '07, 14:54

biniBningPunkista wrote:
nadesico wrote:
Hanakurosu wrote:

i think he was just commenting about from the previous post.. :scratch:
if you did a bit of back reading you would understand it...
Ok, my bad then . I must admit I haven't thoroughly read the thread since the beginning, I must have jumped 2 or 3 pages and that sentence caught my attention. I won't intervene anymore anyway

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 16:58

Of course Filipinos are Asian. Just look at their names.

kekekeke

Post by kekekeke » Nov 17th, '07, 17:15

filipinos are better off labeled as austronesians rather than asians since they are so different from the chinese,korean,japanese.. culture,language etc

to the filipinos: stop trying to associate yourselves with the chinese,koreans,japanese .. that is just pathetic

austronesian or pacific islander is better

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 17:31

What do you mean they aren't Asian? Weren't they the ones who built the great wall and the Golden Pavilion in Japan?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '07, 17:35

|ZERO| wrote:What do you mean they aren't Asian? Weren't they the ones who built the great wall and the Golden Pavilion in Japan?
huh? I thought the Chinese built the great wall of China....

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 17:38

I think it was the Filpinos. If believe the Filipno that originally drew the plans for the Great Wall was was either named Gonzales or Gomez. Filipinos also invented the Han Chinese language that binds all the civilizations of Asia, even though they don't speak it themselves. I think Confucius and Lao Tzu were Filipinos.
Last edited by |ZERO| on Nov 17th, '07, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '07, 17:40

Yorokobi wrote:

in the school im at there is a boy whos parents are actually russian but the whole family has lived in japan scince he was three
everything about him is exactly like a japanese boy except the white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes (and the fact he can speak russian) but because hes different he still gets bullied in school
Your school seems to have a lot of kids with problems ^^; I'm sure there are groupies in every high school. But bullies due to racism I sometimes do experience in Canada when I was young too. Your school just seems to have a lot of both ^^;

I don't see any filipino names listed here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China

It says here Confucius is Chinese. O_o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

"Confucius was a Chinese thinker and social philosopher, whose teachings and philosophy have deeply influenced Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese thought and life."

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 17:55

seirin, wikipedia is a website that anyone can just go in and edit it however they want to without having any credentials. I bet some Chinese guy when in there and changed all the info so that the Chinese can take credit for building the Great Wall and also changed Confucius' nationality to Chinese in order to make the Chinese look better than they are.

Did you know that the Emperor of Japan and the first 5 shoguns were Filipinos?

Pointer025

Post by Pointer025 » Nov 17th, '07, 17:58

I love the way Japan is. Unlike some other places in the world, Japanese society seems to be one of the highly civilized society. One aspect of evaluating whether civilized or not is allowing freedom. And of course, freedom is not anarchy. Japanese cops don't or no one filed complaint against those ... then let them. Being loud in day time is not prohibited in Japan. If you don't like it ... time for you to leave there.

Comparing Japan to North Korea is not quite relevant parallel at all. I don't see anything in common with Japanese and North Korean from politoeconomic and caltural stand point. As a matter of fact, Japan and North Eastern Asian countries had quite different historic/development path.

Anyway, no matter where you go, you will see ultra nationalists. It is a given fact. If you don't like it: Too Bad.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '07, 18:01

|ZERO| wrote:seirin, wikipedia is a website that anyone can just go in and edit it however they want to without having any credentials. I bet some Chinese guy when in there and changed all the info so that the Chinese can take credit for building the Great Wall and also changed Confucius' nationality to Chinese in order to make the Chinese look better than they are.

Did you know that the Emperor of Japan and the first 5 shoguns were Filipinos?
Where are you getting all your sources from? I have never heard any one mention Confucius is not Chinese even in my Chinese classes or history dramas.

Also how can the Japan Emperor be filipino? The Japanese were really racist in the past. I don't think they would accept a ruler that wasn't Japanese.
Last edited by seirin on Nov 17th, '07, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:03

Ultra nationalism is wrong, unhealthy and evil. No country should make protecting their culture, values and language a priority.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:06

seirin wrote:
Where are you getting all your sources from? I have never heard any one mention Confucius is not Chinese even in my Chinese classes or history dramas.

Also how can the Japan Emperor be filipino? The Japanese were really racist in the past. I don't think they would accept a ruler that wasn't Japanese.
I was told by a Filipino. He said he was as Asian as anyone else in Asia. So that means that Filipinos should have credit for all things related to Asian/Oriental culture and civilization.

idyanie

Post by idyanie » Nov 17th, '07, 18:06

come on..chinese, japanese, koreans, filipinos, whatever..we are all in asian region..

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:10

idyanie wrote:come on..chinese, japanese, koreans, filipinos, whatever..we are all in asian region..
That's right! They all share the same exact culture societal structure. Asians, Africans and South Americans are the same too since they are all in the southern hemisphere. Come to think of it, every culture in the world is the same since we all share one planet!

kekekeke

Post by kekekeke » Nov 17th, '07, 18:12

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '07, 18:12

|ZERO| wrote:
seirin wrote:

I was told by a Filipino. He said he was as Asian as anyone else in Asia. So that means that Filipinos should have credit for all things related to Asian/Oriental culture and civilization.
I don't know about the groupings for Asian or what not. You can say an Asian built the great wall of China or you can say a Chinese built the great wall of China. But you can't say a Filipino built the great wall of China.

As an analogy, you can say a North American founded Canada. But you can't say Americans founded Canada.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Nov 17th, '07, 18:18

haha that's really funny. you don't believe wiki but you believe your friend. so if i asked my chinese friend "hey do you know the emperor of japan descent from what race" and he said chinese and even though i told him, " but wiki says he is japanese descended from ameterasu" and he said back" you shouldn't trust wiki you know" and i should fully believe him?

that is the most illogical thought process thinking i have ever heard.

If you see the map, Philippines is not even in east Asia. It's in located in south east asia.

everybody is asian if he comes from asia, i'm from malaysia and so i am not less asian,my indian friends are asian, and yes even people who comes from middle east is asian.

should we all take credit for the oriental civilization? I don't think so. We all have our own heritage civilization. Asian tradition varies differently from one region to one.

Duh should continue this stupid conversation with this troll? I feel like we're all wasting energy.
Last edited by milleu87 on Nov 17th, '07, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Nov 17th, '07, 18:18

ok, i have to say. I studied asian history a great deal when i was in school. read almost everything i could get my hands on. i didn't read anywhere about a designer of the great wall. i'm quite interested to learn more and shall go to the library later today. but i had read that the wall was originally a series of smaller walls built by individual chinese states to protect their border and after the unification of china, the emperor (can't remember which one off the top of my head) decided to have all the walls linked together. and i can't remember if it was the same emperor or a later one that decided to extend the wall even further.

as for Confucius. i do remember reading in history books and encyclopedias that he was born in Lu...which is where Qufu, China is now.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Nov 17th, '07, 18:20

the emperor who did that is the first emperor of china, shi huang ti.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:21

seirin wrote:
I don't know about the groupings for Asian or what not. You can say an Asian built the great wall of China or you can say a Chinese built the great wall of China. But you can't say a Filipino built the great wall of China.
Well filipinos are Asian and an Asian built the Great Wall so doesnt that mean Filipinos should have some credit in building the Great Wall?

You should also look up some of the great Filipino dynasties in Asain history such as the Shang, Qin, Song, Tang and Ming dynasties. Did you know that the Goguryeo and Silla kingdoms of Korea were Filipino and the Hangul writing system was created in one day by a Filipno named Minguella Babi.

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Nov 17th, '07, 18:21

kekekeke wrote:filipinos are better off labeled as austronesians rather than asians since they are so different from the chinese,korean,japanese.. culture,language etc

to the filipinos: stop trying to associate yourselves with the chinese,koreans,japanese .. that is just pathetic

austronesian or pacific islander is better
what a bright Idea Ei!

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:22

milleu87 wrote:the emperor who did that is the first emperor of china, shi huang ti.
And he may have been Filipino.

kekekeke

Post by kekekeke » Nov 17th, '07, 18:25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

u people need to read this to understand zero's posts

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Nov 17th, '07, 18:27

ahaha have you ever realized that all the dynasty that you name actually from a place where they come from.even geographically it's not possible.

haha if you really want filipino to be all that great, i then wouldn't disturb your imagination.

hangul writing is not created from a filipino. it's created by taking chinese characters.it's the same for japanese writing system.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 17th, '07, 18:28

lordy people, you've all been on this board HOW long and still can't identify a troll?
i mean he's laying it on so thick somebody blind AND deaf would be able to tell...
i swear, all people have to do here is come up with a few ridiculous fantasy statements to get everybody into an uproar, some people just make too easy targets i guess... XD
i wasn't going to outright lock this thread because people should be able to voice their opinions, but this is getting sad...
so please people, use your heads a bit before posting and try to keep the topic serious... else this thread's seen its last in a little while... *shakes head*

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Nov 17th, '07, 18:28

thanks milleu ^_^ i couldn't think of it at all. and i agree with you. that person is definitely a troll and i'm kind of amazed that i was provoked to post, but my love of studying history compelled me.

and my compulsion is now relieved ^_^ i shall go back to ignoring the troll again.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Nov 17th, '07, 18:29

kekekeke I totally agree with you.

ahh now I am caught with stupid argument. Somebody should throw him an east asian text history book. But he would convert all the word chinese to filipino. So it might be useless.

I'm done with this thread.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:32

milleu87 wrote:ahaha have you ever realized that all the dynasty that you name actually from a place where they come from.even geographically it's not possible.

haha if you really want filipino to be all that great, i then wouldn't disturb your imagination.

hangul writing is not created from a filipino. it's created by taking chinese characters.it's the same for japanese writing system.
Yes, but did you know that Chinese characters are based in Tagalog? Can you not hear the similarities or see the similar writing structure?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '07, 18:35

kekekeke wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

u people need to read this to understand zero's posts
I don't think that was sarcasm. I think it's more of an insult. I may not like my heritage much in certain aspects, but to take credit where it's not due is insulting. Like I'm sure Americans would be insulted if I said a Canadian founded the USA when it's not true. You can generalize, North American founded USA. I'm sure you would get flamed for saying Canadians founded US.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Nov 17th, '07, 18:42

ironicwave,

Listen, I am not a troll and I sorry that I got a bit over-zealous. I am just trying to make a point that not all countries in the Asian region share the same culture.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 17th, '07, 19:06

Wow. This thread (and person) got even stupider than it was while I was asleep. This was more fun when there were statements that seemed to have 'some' thought in them. Bored now.

Oh and kekekeke, it's great that you can look up the definition of a word and all but sarcasm is identifiable though inflection and tone. A deadpan statement would never be seen as sarcasm.
In case you forgot, this is type. Type has no inflection and no tone. Tone is decided by the reader. Unless the writer is skilled enough to use adjectives and what not to "imply" a tone. Sarcasm does not exist in type.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 17th, '07, 19:18

whether it was sarcasm or not really isn't the point here, it should've been easy enough to see that bait was being laid out in the bluntest form imaginable and rising to it could've been avoided...
i see everybody's done arguing whatever points could possibly have been made to an already incendiary topic and offtopic posts about semantics are superfluous...
locking...