English-Japanese dicitonary!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
newersumm

English-Japanese dicitonary!

Post by newersumm » Dec 1st, '07, 14:07

Hello!

Well I am looking for a good (+cheap) electronic JAP-ENG ENG-JAP dictionary
I was looking at CANON Wordtank but its really expensive :-( 400$ is a bit too much.
http://www.canon-mj.co.jp/wordtank/ima ... s/g70.jpg
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips what to buy.
Cheers! :-)

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 2nd, '07, 18:39

Check out these old threads:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_38961.htm
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_42334.htm

There might be something there to help (I don't remember myself, but...)

shneen

Post by shneen » Dec 3rd, '07, 01:43

It really depends on what level you're at and where you want to go with your Japanese study. I just bought the Wordtank G70 a few months ago and I really like it. It has lots of dictionaries and is pretty easy to navigate. The good thing about the Cannon models is that you can switch the menus and things into English, which is handy if you're at a beginner level.

Before the g70 I had a g50... the g50 is no longer available... it's been replaced by the g55. I really liked the g50, and when I bought it a few years ago it really suited my needs well (I'd been studying for about 2 years at that point). I did start to outgrow it a bit before I bought the g70 though, as I felt I reached a point in my studying where I needed something with more entries and dictionaries.

My recommendation is to evaluate your study/use goals... I've found it worth the investment since it's something that I get several years use from (I'd actually still be using the g50 if wouldn't have accidentally stepped on it when I got up in the middle of the night one night :( ) Once you get that taken care of, start looking around. When I was doing my shopping, I found the Japan Shop's guides and recommendations pretty helpful.
Recommendations: http://www.thejapanshop.com/recommendationsjisho.htm
Comparison chart: http://www.thejapanshop.com/compare.htm

The comparison chart is a little out of date, but it should give you a good idea of what's out there. I've seen cheaper (3,000 yen - 4,000 yen) dictionaries at bookstores in Japan, but not sure where you could get them online. They're really basic and would probably get you by if you're not looking for something to use with studying.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:04

If you have a Nintendo DS, those dictionaries may be worth a shot.

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Dec 4th, '07, 09:52

actually Im 1st year in university studying japanese, so I assume I will be needing it alot. :-)
Ive been looking at G55 (for 150$) but im not so sure about it now.

Shneen: Do you think I should buy G70 instead? Cause the price diffrenece is huge.

shneen

Post by shneen » Dec 6th, '07, 12:44

Sorry for the delay in replying.... my work schedule has been crazy this week.

Since I'm gathering you're a beginner, the g55 would probably suit your needs pretty well and be something that you'll be able to get quite a bit of use out of. I found that I didn't need one so much my first year at Uni, but as my classes got more advanced it sure came in handy during class and during study. The big difference between the g55 and the g70 is the dictionaries and amount of entries in the two. The g55 doesn't have as many technical/advanced entries, where as the g70 is a bit more advanced and is geared toward advanced students/translating.

I went with the g70 this time around because I've been studying for about 5 years and am hoping to study Japanese in grad school one of these days (If I ever decide to leave Japan :P )

I think you'd probably be fine with the g55... It should have enough stuff included for your studies and conversations without getting too difficult for you. I got along just fine with my g50 and would still be using it if I wouldn't have cracked the display :P But like I said, do some looking around.

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Dec 6th, '07, 16:20

thank you sooo much for this :)

I gotta make a decision now haha, I just cant pick one :roll
160$ for G55 or 250$ for G70.
Btw is that a good deal?

I'll probably go with G55 then.
This will be ok for 4 years of japanese at uni? :-)
Im just a bit worried about G55 because it contains "only" 97000 words Japanese-English and G70 has 480000 words Jpn-Eng :w00t:
Thats a HUGE diffrence :unsure:

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Dec 13th, '07, 07:52

Finally I have ordered my G55 instead of G70, because 70 was just too expensive. :-(
I hope g55 will serve well
Thank you for your help Shneen! :salut: