Bento Boxes: Where to start?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Sugaface

Bento Boxes: Where to start?

Post by Sugaface » Mar 18th, '08, 17:58

I am really interested in Japanese cooking. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good place to start on something easy and any resources that you may use. I would also like to start making Bento box lunches. Does anyone here make them?

Thank you!

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Mar 18th, '08, 19:25

The common miss belief is that bento boxes are special recipes or something. But, a bento is simply a Japanese lunch box. There is no difference really between it and an American lunch box. Except it has Japanese food in it. You can put whatever you like into it. The only other goal in making one is to make it look appealing or cute.

You can try this for tips on arraignment and such.

Sugaface

Post by Sugaface » Mar 18th, '08, 20:25

Thank you Puppet Princess. That is really cool. I thought that was mainly what a Bento box was.

Do you cook Japanese food? Where is an easy place to start? Do you know of some good websites to buy Japanese products, like food or bento boxes? I found one website online that sells them but I really haven't found any others. Also I was hoping someone had a recommendation of a website they have bought from online.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Mar 19th, '08, 05:11

I found some sites you might find helpful for bentos.
Lunch in a Box
Cooking Cute

I think a easy place to start is onigiri. It's simple and doesn't require tools or many ingredients. Plus its made with your hands so it's fun. Just don't burn yourself with the rice. And of course don't feel bad if they look funny. Odds are they will. It takes a while to get the shaping right. lol They will still taste good.

Sugaface

Post by Sugaface » Mar 19th, '08, 16:31

Thank you so much! Those are awesome and I cant wait to try making onigiri!

phramc

Post by phramc » Mar 23rd, '08, 20:55

RICE balls, omerice, sushi, something i forget what it's called, onigiri, gyoza.....all are easy. Do you want recipes? I always thought japanese food was extremely hard to make but after having an exchange student that loved to cook for 4 months I learned how easy it actually is! Bentos are really fun to make if you try to make them cute. I'll most more when i'm not in a rush!

Sugaface

Post by Sugaface » Mar 24th, '08, 15:34

Awesome! Yes recipes would be great or a good place to get recipes would also be helpful. :)

Thank you!

krim

Post by krim » Apr 1st, '08, 03:38

Not quite easy, but Christopher Salyers' Bento Blog, with links to bento forums and companion book:Face Food

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Apr 1st, '08, 03:53

hehehe...you cud make japanese curry too if you want..yakisoba..okonomiyaki....theyr not too hard to make either.. ^^

wanna try those bento box tips..not that i actually have the time to make them(im a uni student)..but i love the designs..hehehehe...kakkoi.. ~

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » May 6th, '08, 22:14

I think those curled up tako sausages that look like octopus are really cute.

katzenjammin'

Post by katzenjammin' » May 16th, '08, 02:44

Ah~ I've recently gotten into bento lately... I think I'm going to buy a box set and accessories soon.

This (oops, just noticed this site was mentioned earlier...) is a great site that I came across that has lots of ideas for recipes and arrangements, as well as safety tips (i.e. antibacterial measures and such). This lady mostly makes bento for her kid, though.

There are also lots of recipes here:
http://www.c4vct.com/kym/bento/index.htm

And more example bento:
http://justbento.com/

I think it's important to remember that you don't have to go out of your way to make a bunch Japanese food (much like Puppet Princess said); it's easy to accommodate your local cuisine. Arrangement is pretty important, too... but have fun with it!

pow155

Post by pow155 » May 22nd, '08, 19:32

Yes, bento box is just like lunch box, you put food inside expect it's japanese. got to have rice with seedweed in it. Also eggs would be nice. On top of that, add some squid if you have them and some stir fry vegetable with beef. mmm yummy.