books and music suggestions?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
saki-chan

books and music suggestions?

Post by saki-chan » Nov 3rd, '08, 06:07

I love reading and i love japan, so i would really like to read some japanese books (translated into english, of course.) but i have no idea how to find them. it's not like i can just type 'japan' into the library or book store's search engine, because all that comes up are non-fiction or fiction about japan by american/british authors. I would really really like to read a good fiction book by a japanese author, and i've read all the books i could find. (only two authors, though, Murakami Haruki and Murakami Ryu. i think i've probaby read all their books, or at least those available to me.) I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. i've kind of been itching for a slightly romantic book, but i'm not picky. really any genre is good for me, i just want something to read!

also, music. i was also hoping someone would have a suggestion for a good japanese band. i'm really into Johnnys groups, but sometimes i just want something harder; i used to love rock music before i stopped listening to american bands. The Japanese rock bands i listen to currently are: Aqua Timez, One Ok Rock, Ellegarden, Uverworld, LM.C, Straightener, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Beat Crusaders, Orange Range, Asian Kung-fu Generation and Bump of Chicken. it's kind of a lot, but i listen to music pretty much constantly and am in need of new material. any suggestions?

I'm kinda desperate, i have no idea how to find more music and books! Help?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 5th, '08, 02:41

The only other Japanese authors I am aware of who have multiple stories/books translated into English are Banana Yoshimoto and Miyuki Miyabe. To find more, I'd suggest going to Amazon and looking at what other books ppl who looked at these authors have looked at.

Banana Yoshimoto stories are like lightweight Murakami fare, and I think her short stories are more interesting than the novels I've read.

Miyabe is a very popular and prolific mystery writer who has won numerous awards in Japan.

For music, there are a ton of places to look or ask around (including here). The Links of Interest have a lot of good forums/sites to start.

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Nov 5th, '08, 03:27

Battle Royale.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Nov 5th, '08, 04:54

It sounds like you should give up looking for translated books and read the real thing... The story's always better in the native language.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Nov 5th, '08, 05:12

If you don't min jidai-geki, there's a gorgeous Kodansha International edition of Eiji Yoshikawa's "Musashi"... it cost me £35, but it was worth it! A great book about the Musahi Miyamoto, taken from Yoshikawa-sensei's newspaper serial from the '30s.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Nov 5th, '08, 05:18

Oh and if u want something hard and Japanese to listen I reccommend Merzbow - not rock or metal, proper noise! Not to everyone's taste I admit, but I love it...

infundibuliform

Post by infundibuliform » Nov 5th, '08, 06:23

You should read books by Natsume Soseki. He's written a lot of classics, and Botchan had me in tears after just the first chapter. Apparently Botchan is his lightest work, so I'm not sure if the scene was supposed to be emotional on the reader or if I'm just overemotional. As for music, Ketsumeishi and NewS never fails me. I love AKFG, too! :P

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Nov 5th, '08, 23:15

thanks for all the suggestions. i'll definitely look into them all.

@quashlo: Alas, if i could. i can't read any japanese at this point, let alone a whole book.

@infundibuliform: Hahah, NewS has never failed me either. but, you know, i've listened to them so much i've memorized practically every song. and, totally adore your icon.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Nov 6th, '08, 07:52

Saki-chan, how about the book "A Boy Called H: a childhood in wartime Japan"?

As for music, maybe you can try Southern All Stars or Mr.Children? :)

or Dir En Grey, L'Arc~en~Ciel ....

noobee

Post by noobee » Nov 9th, '08, 12:22

read

by Miyamoto Musashi