With whom do you share your JDorama or JPop/JRock Addiction?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
mii-t

With whom do you share your JDorama or JPop/JRock Addiction?

Post by mii-t » Jul 15th, '09, 23:34

Not including the D-Addicts community, with whom do you share your love of Japanese entertainment?

Family? Friends? School groups? Meet-up groups? What other outlets have you found to share this "hobby" outside of the electronic realm?

I have a few friends that watch K-dramas on occasion, but for the most part the only person I know that really watches Japanese dramas or listens to Japanese music is my brother. We have different tastes in both the music and dramas we like, but still watch enough of the same things to be able to talk about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with online discussions, but it's nice to have a real conversation once in a while, eh?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 16th, '09, 00:19

You are right...it would be so nice to have a real live person to discuss Japanese dramas and film. As it is, I have turned my lady in my bank on to the kdramas and cdramas.
She did not know about them and also did not realise she could watch Chinese programmes on at least three channels on TV. She is from Taiwan. I am able to talk with her about kdramas when I visit the bank. Apart from that it is all with my many cyberfriends. My English friends would think me slightly round the bend if I mentioned Japanese dramas etc. Just the same, my personal feeling is that I am slightly 'superior' because I can d/l and put English subs on to Asian dramas and enjoy myself totally.

I fulfills my need to keep my little grey cells clicking.

Peggy

kittykhatz20

Post by kittykhatz20 » Jul 16th, '09, 00:35

I share my Jdorama and Jmovie fascination with my youngest sister whom I also initially influenced to watch anime. Well the Kdrama part I sort of share with my other younger sister but she's more addicted to it than I am. I also have a couple of cousins in the USA who I swamp Jdorama/Kdrama info so it's pretty nice. I also found out recently that some of my subordinates at work also like watching Jdoramas and some Kdramas and Kmovies.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 16th, '09, 00:41

We have an unofficial Japanese drama club of sorts on Oahu. Four or five of us meet at Aki-no-no (Ito Yuna's parents' restaurant) every Friday night. Nothing organized - just fans of Japanese culture. But lately, we've been meeting at other restaurants, and at times sticking to IM and Twitter because of the increase in cost for sushi.

Otherwise, we constantly mail DVDs and thumb drives to each other.

--- groink

mii-t

Post by mii-t » Jul 16th, '09, 01:17

All of my attempts to get others on the Dorama Wagon have failed. Whenever I bring it up to my non-Asian friends, they just look at me cross-eyed. When I mention shows to my Asian friends I usually get, "Oh, I think my mom was watching that!"

I have a friend who's Japanese girlfriend is trying to brush up on her language skills. She asked me for a drama to watch so I gave her a copy of Orange Days. We'll see if that gets them hooked. I think it takes just one or two shows to get people on board.

groink - I've always assumed that exposure to Japanese television and music is fairly high in Hawaii, is that a fair assessment? While we have a large Japanese community in Southern California, I don't think in-language entertainment has much reach beyond the community itself.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 16th, '09, 01:55

mii-t wrote:groink - I've always assumed that exposure to Japanese television and music is fairly high in Hawaii, is that a fair assessment? While we have a large Japanese community in Southern California, I don't think in-language entertainment has much reach beyond the community itself.
Some Hawaii history. We had a Japanese wave during the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. Many of the baby boomers in Hawaii were affected by the wave. Most of Generation X (i.e. me) in Hawaii were brought up by these baby boomer parents who constantly played 45s J-pop songs, and watched KIKU more than the major TV station. Imagine that in Hawaii, more people were watching tokusatsu and Japanese dramas than the likes of All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore Show, etc. Generation Y didn't receive this exposure because, in all honesty, most of my generation thought our parents were crazy! And therefore, Gen Y in Hawaii is a lot more interested in Korean culture because of its current wave.

As for my personal experience, I stuck with Japanese culture despite most of my friends giving it up by high school. Several things helped me keep up the interest. KIKU never gave in on the Korean wave. I also took a trip to Osaka during my senior year in high school. Also, the flood of Japanese tourists to Hawaii have kept the Japanese stores, radio stations, etc. alive.

In your situation, you're attempting to influence people to watch your favorite shows. This is the wrong approach! These people must discover the shows themselves. And they're right in that their parents watch the stuff, so for most young people, the stuff their parents enjoy must be awful!! Even if your friends are Asian, it is a fact that Asia the culture is disappearing with each new generation (the Filipino communities is trying to preserve its culture in California, but I don't see the same level of effort by the East Asian cultures.) What you need to do is have others find YOU. D-Addicts is a great start, but you should build an on-line community specific to your geographic area. I did this when KIKU shut down its message board, by creating DoramaSuki http://www.doramasuki.com

Hope this is inspiring in some way...

--- groink

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Jul 16th, '09, 02:25

Sadly with no one. My friends think i'm weird and even teased me for liking Asian dramas and Music, my family couldn't care less. So yeah, outside the Internet land no one cares about my tastes *sad face*

Feisty_Warrior

Post by Feisty_Warrior » Jul 16th, '09, 05:45

Family & friends who are thankfully open-minded :cheers:

garcon

Post by garcon » Jul 16th, '09, 08:00

my online buddies in crunchyroll....and my bestfriend....

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Jul 16th, '09, 08:18

I share it with my family. My parents been exposed to Thai and Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwanese/Singaporean dramas since I was a kid. So everyone of us is influence by that. We got to Japanese drama through anime. My dad use to be an anime freak so that's how it all got started. But not a lot of my friends watches it though, although I do introduce some Asian music to them which include Thai, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

avery

Post by avery » Jul 16th, '09, 09:03

I have some friends with whom i share the love for japanese dramas. I also watch kdramas and tw dramas and 2 of them do that also sometimes.

But it was actually me and another friend who introduced them to jdramas.
At first they were looking weird at us discussing jdramas and on one occasion the other friend had some dvd's with her. So we decided to show them Hanasakari no Kimitachi e.
+ i showed a korean movie. It ended with one of them doing a marathon of Hana Kimi the next day and the other hooked on kdramas. And then there was one more friend who wasn't there that evening but was introduced to kdramas as well later on.
So i actually have 4 friends who watch asian dramas.

My parents are quite open to it as well, they watch some movies with me occasionally mostly korean. But i did give my dad the dvd's for Galileo so he watched that. And they don't mind the music.

I've always had different interests from my friends so it's kinda weird but nice to have something that we all enjoy together. Before that I only had my internet friends for these kinds of things, I still do.

mii-t

Post by mii-t » Jul 16th, '09, 17:45

groink wrote:
In your situation, you're attempting to influence people to watch your favorite shows. This is the wrong approach! These people must discover the shows themselves.

--- groink
Yeah, I've learned. Seems like many people just stumble upon these things. My sister-in-law got hooked on Kim Sam Soon because she happened to catch part of it while I was watching it. She's not addicted like my brother and I, but she still will sit and watch shows with her husband from time to time.

I got hooked on dramas by chance as well. I started watching anime in high school (back when fansubs were traded via VHS by mail), but didn't start dramas until I was already out of college. I was getting ready for work one morning and caught an episode of the NHK Asadora drama Kokoro. The first thing I remember thinking was, "wow, that actress is very pretty." Then I started waking up every morning to watch the next 15 minutes while getting ready. Been watching ever since.

One thing I think that keeps some of my friends from watching is a lack of technical skills. Downloading a torrent and loading a sub file are cake, and with D-addicts, it's not like you have to go searching very far, but they just think it's more trouble than it's worth.

noobee

Post by noobee » Jul 19th, '09, 10:54

obviously with friends :D

mele90

Post by mele90 » Jul 21st, '09, 19:06

a few of my friends. i got one of them into j-pop and another i over-all talk about Japanese culture with. but when it comes to jdrama i keep it online

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Jul 21st, '09, 19:27

I keep my addiction to myself unfortunately.

Two years ago, an anime otaku psychiatrist had the strange idea of using Anime songs as a relaxing activity for his patients. This was prominently showcased on national TV.
Imagine a group of suicidal teenagers screaming Otsuka Ai's Sakuranbo at the top of their lungs.
So now,in people's minds, unfortunately, japanese culture is now associated with a high-sugar diet or a certifiable pathology.

Korean culture gets no traction here whatsoever because of numerous overt and extreme acts of racism by Korean nationals towards local people and culture. And we do know how to hold a grudge.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jul 21st, '09, 19:54

I get to share dramas with about 3 of my friends that are actually into Jdramas. As for people I haven't met I share with a couple of people on Final Fantasy XI and some of my Japanese friends on it discuss dramas sometimes. The only thing is that they really don't watch dramas aside from the occasional big hit.

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » Jul 25th, '09, 05:50

My mom loves Asian dramas in general so we sometimes watch together. And I have a few friends who are into Japanese dramas. We don't always have the same preferences, but it's always fun when there are people who actually understand JDrama-related topics, not to mention the addiciton. :thumright:

miku-chan

Post by miku-chan » Aug 4th, '09, 04:46

Well I got into Japanese entertainment because of two of my friends. One forced me to watch anime and the other forced me to watch jdramas but I'm totally thankful!! I even got my dad to watch a couple episodes of Gokusen with me, haha. Then my mom thinks its cool that I'm into stuff from a different culture.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Aug 4th, '09, 05:46

I watch with my daughter, who's 12 and stays weekends at mine. She likes more j-pop than me overall than me, and we watch anime together too. I only watch a tiny bit of anime, many more j-dramas (and more movies than anything), but me and the offspring have similar tastes in j-drama (Hana Kimi and LIFE rank high on both our lists).

One friend of mine has watched a few dramas cause I reccommended them. He's another anime fiend who loved LIFE (pun intended cause he's a miserable bastard like me, lol) and then got into some comedy like Mop Girl and some romances I haven't dared watch...

Plus, I'm happy this week cause another friend was suffering from a badass True Blood cliffhanger and needed a show to watch... so I sent him here for My Boss My Hero. He's a sucker for yakuza **** and and anime freak (all fighting stuff, yawn!) but this is his 1st j-drama.

He always called me gay for watching 'em, so... guess who's the chutney-ferret now! Mua-ha-ha-ha-HAA!!!

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Aug 4th, '09, 12:48

I share my jdrama addiction with my younger sister, a nephew and 2 nieces, more accurately they shared their jdrama addiction with me. Now I'm the one scouting d-addicts for upcoming dramas, downloading and scheduling marathon screenings.

My sister and I have seen enough jdramas that we already recognize at least 3 actors in any given series because we've seen them in previous projects. It helps, of course, that the jdrama industry only has about 100 working actors. :P

As for recommending My Boss My Hero to your jdrama-virgin friend :lol KUDOS! Great choice! Even if he didn't like Yakuza, it's still a real treat to watch.

MasterCJ

Post by MasterCJ » Aug 5th, '09, 12:14

lenrasoon wrote:Sadly with no one. My friends think i'm weird and even teased me for liking Asian dramas and Music, my family couldn't care less. So yeah, outside the Internet land no one cares about my tastes *sad face*
I know this feeling all too well, however as time has passed I've actually come to enjoy it. I'm not sure if it's some kind of superiority complex or what, but it makes me feel good to know that I possess the ability to enjoy something that other people won't even give a chance to. :D

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 5th, '09, 13:37

Other than a friend in Minnesota and my jpopsuki friends who have given 2TB of my music to, and some fellow staff at Anime Central I have no one who like Asian media. And the ones that do are no where as addicted as I am. Oh, and the Japanese friends I have are no where near as Japanese as me, and I am an Irish American.

mii-t

Post by mii-t » Aug 5th, '09, 20:47

wmcnair370 wrote: Oh, and the Japanese friends I have are no where near as Japanese as me, and I am an Irish American.
My Japanese friends don't watch either. They are pretty in-tune with their culture and listen to J-music, but not into the dramas. They usually ask me what/who is popular in any given season.

Diedie

Post by Diedie » Aug 31st, '09, 23:59

I have a similar experience with friends.
But when I told one of my friends I watched Hana Yori Dango, he was all Hm...Everyone seems to like...

And I was all Rui?
He laughed and told me yes him and Domyoji. XD

However my Japanese teacher, is very into the dramas.

As to answer the original question it is a select amount of friends (some of which are only online friends) and my mom! I got her into it! She loves Gackt and Ayumi (and thinks Kyo of Dir en grey is the hottest little thing, hahaha XD; )

However she is afraid to watch dramas because when she was pregnant with me all she did was watch soaps on tv and she said she didn't want to miss them going back to work! So she is afraid to spring the addiction again. Hah~

Okashi

Post by Okashi » Sep 1st, '09, 01:04

unfortunately, I'm alone in this :cry:

Seems like most people is interested in anime rather than dorama...

My boyfriend only watches a dorama if it's guy oriented and funny.
Even my japanese girl friend is not interested in dorama :-(

Aiko_

Post by Aiko_ » Sep 1st, '09, 11:10

with my friend from university. we are both studying japanese and korean and like asian music. she is rather into anime than dramas, and i'm only into dramas, but we are sharing our thoughts with each other every day :)