Disturbed by frequent rapes in THAI dramas.

Discuss about other asian culture here.
nophankh

Disturbed by frequent rapes in THAI dramas.

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 02:33

I'm lao and Laos is heavily influenced by thai culture. Laos imports all their entertainment from Thailand. Laos kids grow listening to thai music and watching thai lakorns and other thai shows rather than our own.

I'm a Lao-American and I pretty much grew up watching lakorns. Since as long as I can remember, there has always been rape in Lakorns. A typical thai drama (not saying all) have the male lead rape the lead girl and she becomes pregnant and they fall in love. OR he rapes her to prove his love and then they work it out and then they fall in love. The evil side character gets rape occasionally. Personally, this is sickening. What is this saying about thai culture or rape in general? Clearly this is not ok, but yet thai drama makes rape seem OK!

What I know is that rape is a psychological tool used by pimps to controlled sex slaves/prostitutes. Rape is used by pimps to make girls or potential sex slaves feel shamed and feel that they deserve no better.

In thai drama, the lead guy rapes the girl and apologizes, she cries and pretty much later on forgives him. Rape by the lead guy is showing his frustration over how he can't show his "love". Rape becomes an action of proving your "love". I don't get it, but this is how it is portrayed.

Some people might argue that this is just a show or drama and shouldn't take it seriously. However, little kids do watch these dramas. I started watching thai dramas when I was 8. What is thai drama teaching young girls, it's ok to be raped.

THIS IS SICK and something should be done about it.

here are some dramas up on YOUTUBE where the lead male rapes or attempts to rape the lead girl.

uploaded by Ruchaneewan--love this person..got to watch some really good lakorns on youtube because of her.

1.)Pee nong 2 leuard with Dan and BEAM from the boy band D2B. like this drama but totally turned off near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E1VuZfA ... 7E&index=1

2.) Rahut rissaya with Paul and Noon. Don't even know why I watched it. Curiousity?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvueHsUA ... DC&index=0

Uploaded by Misluver

1.) Taung Paun Kamathep : love the chemistry between Janie and Andrew...but turned off near the end.

synopsis: Thripope (Andrew) just got back from being out of the country. He goes and visits his father, whom's about to get married to a younger lady. He is furious about it, because his father is doing his stepmother wrong. He has a half-sister that is divorced and a neice. Things get really complicated when he kidnaps the alleged bride to be. But he kidnapped the wrong lady. He kidnaps her sister, played by Janie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dss0xn8b ... F0&index=1

2.) Leh Ratree---you can tell from reading the synopsis that someone is gonna get rape.

synopsis: Sek (Pepper) is a rich and stern business man and the only son/child of his family line. Ann (Kate) is the daughter of one of his workers. Kate's dad have been stealing money from Sek's company for a long time. When his mistakes are exposed, Kate will pay the price to save her family. Sek's family wants an heir. So, Kate's dad suggest that in return for the money that he has stolen, Sek can use his daughter to carry a child for his family line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvhFVOEysuk

Uploaded by Wishbonika WITH ENGLISH SUBS

1.) Kaew Tah Pee: roughly translated to "your (for guy) crystal eye"

synopsis: a rich blind guy falls in love with a school teacher and they get married. She married him out of pity because she thought he was poor and blind. They get married or something and go off to Paris where he gets his eye surgery. It's about their relationship and people trying to pull them apart...or something like that. I haven't watched it, but this is what I heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TChZoZswLXQ

Uploaded by wasabizan WITH ENGLISH SUB

Duang Jai Patiharn : lead guy "attempts" to assault the lead girl several times.

synopsis: Techo, is a bratty rich guy with a fatal heart aliment. He lives his life to the fullest and recklessly because he knows at any moment he could die. Techo has a butler who loves him as his own son and has even convince his real son to become a doctor to care for Techo. The butler and his son attempts to calm Techo down by introducing him into painting. They hire Mo=leading girl to become his art teacher. They get off at the wrong start...blah blah...there is a inheritance struggle, slutty gold-digger trying to get between Mo and Techo's relationship...blah..blah..your usual Thai drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyvQTaDND0[/u]

I have yet to see a KOREAN drama with rape. I stopped watching thai dramas for a long time because of this.
Last edited by nophankh on Mar 30th, '07, 02:58, edited 2 times in total.

malljclay

Post by malljclay » Mar 30th, '07, 02:40

Now that you mention it....yeahhhhh.
There seems to be ALOT of raping in thai dramas.
Hmmm....

leighya

Post by leighya » Mar 30th, '07, 02:51

oh... now that's alarming... :-(

nalika

Post by nalika » Mar 30th, '07, 02:59

i agreed that there is a LOt...but I guessed the Thai people don't really care about it or take it lightly with the rape scene because it doesn't even get to the point where there's an "actually raped" scene...the scene ended with the male lead throwing the female lead on to the bed and jump on top of her...sometime it just make you go like "if you going to do a rape scene at least make it look real"....

but what funny about that drama it that rape scene are okay but kiss scene are a no no... :crazy:

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 03:15

Rape isn't pretty; it's very brutal and obviously you can't show that kind of thing on TV, but the way they portray rape makes me want to vomit with disgust. The guy nuzzles harshly on the girls neck or something and then the camera points to the lamp or whatever. They do make rape scenes too light; the mood seems romantic in some sick way. The casualness of the scene makes it seems OK and not taken seriously....i definitely agree.

grr.. annoyed and appalled.. I definitely don't get it.

martina_SMO

Post by martina_SMO » Mar 30th, '07, 03:37

Wow, I've yet to watch a Thai drama, but this reminds me of similar patterns I've seen in American romance novels of the late Seventies and early Eighties, where the hero was often raping the heroine--- and then falling in love with her. Later these romances evolved into more politically correct stories where rape was not present, if not only as a subtle "forced seduction".

The same thing is going on in sexually explicit girls' comics in Japan. They often feature the heroine being forced into some sexual act by a guy, and later falling in love with him. I believe these too will evolve someday into something more politically correct as it happened with American romances.

I think the reason behind it is pretty much what Nancy Friday wrote in the 70s about women's "rape fantasies". Basically, it was way to conceal women's own sexual desires. By being "forced" into sex by someone else, instead of participating willingly, the female heroine (as well as the female reader/viewer) can pass off as "innocent and pure".

Once society, as well as women in general, become more liberated and learn to accept their sexual desires as natural, female readers and viewers won't need anymore this disguise/excuse provided by rape stories.
That's at least what happened with American romances, and I swear the plot of "Taung Paun Kamathep" seems to be taken straight out of a historical romance XD

My guess is that, since
rape scenes are okay but kiss scenes are a no no...

these dramas somehow aspire to be 'sensually thrilling' but are inhibited by society's morals, and therefore they use the "concealment" provided by the rape scene. Or something like that :scratch:

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Mar 30th, '07, 03:50

if only u could show us only the rape parts...i mean...with only the opening, it looks just like a normal dramas...and im not gonna watch the whole dramas just to see your point...

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 30th, '07, 03:57

I haven't seen any Thai Drama's yet. I'm really surprised to hear that though. Is it a cultural thing for Thai men? Are the Thai ppl understanding of drama's and movies like this?

ooky sorta off subject(or a lot, sry i'll ask in the correct topic next time), but what are the popular thai drama's? My friends have told me to try watching some. I've just recently watched a Filipino Drama and that was surprisingly good so now I want to try a ThaiDrama any suggestions?

elden41

Post by elden41 » Mar 30th, '07, 04:09

I'm glad I don't watch Thai dramas then. I'm not into that stuff.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 04:10

Silvestre wrote:if only u could show us only the rape parts...i mean...with only the opening, it looks just like a normal dramas...and im not gonna watch the whole dramas just to see your point...
Here
1)Rahut Rissaya -rape scene

ep. 9 (4/10) and 9(5/10) morning after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w73WrwWq ... C&index=87

2)Taung Paun Kamathep

ep. 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGUTLifomow

abstractcandy

Post by abstractcandy » Mar 30th, '07, 04:22

Martina is right on the money- viewers want to see something they feel is "erotic", but they don't want female leads in dramas to be "loose". Ridiculous, but unfortunately, that's the way it is at the moment.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 04:37

christaluvsdrama wrote:I
ooky sorta off subject(or a lot, sry i'll ask in the correct topic next time), but what are the popular thai drama's? My friends have told me to try watching some. I've just recently watched a Filipino Drama and that was surprisingly good so now I want to try a ThaiDrama any suggestions?

Well this is what is being subbed.
Hua Jai Chocolate "chocolate heals the heart" --cute so far...I guess it's about two people coming out of a terrible relationship and finding each other. Mos's character is being cheated on by his long time gf. Aom's character just left her cheating bf. MOs is a famous thai singer and Aom is a really popular thai actress.

Ep. 1

Khun Por Rub Jang (Daddy for Hire)- A single working- lawyer mom is disturbed that her son has girlish tendency and fears that he might be gay. She decides to hire a male babysitter to teach her son how to be a "man." What she she get is Pee, a womanizer/ playboy from a very prominent magazine empire family. He has a degree in Child psychology from the sates and wants to start a CHILD rearing magazine. His father who heads the publishing company refuse to help him get the start up because he knows his son is irresponsible. He thinks his son majored in Child psychology to pick up girls.

Pee fakes being poor and gets the babysitting job to learn more about child rearing and prove to his father that he can do this and child psychology was his passion.

Last edited by nophankh on Mar 30th, '07, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 04:46

abstractcandy wrote:Martina is right on the money- viewers want to see something they feel is "erotic", but they don't want female leads in dramas to be "loose". Ridiculous, but unfortunately, that's the way it is at the moment.
Ok, America changed. For Thailand it has been like this for the past 25 years.

aired
Pee Nong 2 Leurd- 2005
Rahut rissya - 2007 just ended

I do agree with Martina because in both Thai and Laos cultures girls are suppose to be sexually submissive or have no desire at all. I think it also promote male dominance for the culture. In away, it's advocating control over the female sex.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 30th, '07, 04:55

nophankh wrote:
christaluvsdrama wrote:I

Well this is what is being subbed.
Hua Jai Chocolate "chocolate heals the heart" --cute so far...I guess it's about two people coming out of a terrible relationship and finding each other. Mos's character is being cheated on by his long time gf. Aom's character just left her cheating bf. MOs is a famous thai singer and Aom is a really popular thai actress.

Ep. 1

Khun Por Rub Jang (Daddy for Hire)- A single working- lawyer mom is disturbed that her son has girlish tendency and fears that he might be gay. She decides to hire a male babysitter to teach her son how to be a "man." What she she get is Pee, a womanizer/ playboy from a very prominent magazine empire family. He has a degree in Child psychology from the sates and wants to start a CHILD rearing magazine. His father who heads the publishing company refuse to help him get the start up because he knows his son his irresponsible. He thinks his son majored in Child psychology to pick up girls.

Pee fakes being poor and gets the babysitting job to learn more about child rearing and prove to his father that he can do this and child psychology was his passion.

Thanks I'll check these out. :-)

Also I saw those two scenes and I'm really appalled. How can they make the rape scene seem so natural. Also how the other guy just acted as if the just had 'sex' instead of the fact that he 'raped' her. Does it not process through their brains that it wrong. I have to agree about what you said. What is this telling for young girls who decide to watch these? If they're swayed to believe its okay adults and society aren't doing their jobs to proctect them. This is a big problem, this shouldn't be on televison. These aren't even based on a true story to tell a story of someone. They're Romance, Romance-Comedy movies and drama its SICK!!!!

abstractcandy

Post by abstractcandy » Mar 30th, '07, 05:07

nophankh wrote: I do agree with Martina because in both Thai and Laos cultures girls are suppose to be sexually submissive or have no desire at all. I think it also promote male dominance for the culture. In away, it's advocating control over the female sex.
Yeah- I hope things change in Thai and Laos cultures so that rape isn't portrayed the way it is in these dramas. It's disturbing as hell. :goggle: It's hard enough being someone who went through rape in America, where things are supposed to be more open and women have more rights- I can't imagine how women in Thailand and Laos deal with it. Especially since many people will think along the lines of "Well, these women on these TV shows were raped, but they act normal... why is this girl upset?" To be completely honest, though, I've heard so many stupid comments on the subject of rape from people whom I thought were very intelligent that I'm hardly surprised by stupidity of the media about rape- in any culture. Sad, but true.

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Mar 30th, '07, 05:20

I could be an ass now and say "Thailand, the land of sex-tourism, where fat, old European men go on 'vacation' to rape 10 year old girls". I know they're trying to crack down on that in Thailand, but it doesn't seem to work that well (yes, they have harsh penalties by now, but in order to punish someone, you have to catch him doing something first). And as a result of that I could say that I'm not really surprised about rape in their tv shows.

Women may have more rights in America or Europe, but listen to a certain part of the male specimen. Listen to the comments they make about women. Nothing has really changed there. The statement "if she's dressing up like that, she's asking to get raped" is still around pretty much everywhere. The Japanese health minister called women "birth giving machines" and got a lot of flak for it. Surely, in Europe or America no politician would dare to say that, but not because they think it's wrong. Sorry, but politicians are notorious liars, don't tell me they really care whether this is statement is right or wrong. The politician in America or Europe doesn't say it, for the simple reason that he's concerned about his public image, because of the next election, because he wants to stay in power (or get more of that). He may think it (especially conservatives), but he won't say it out loud, or outside of a small trusted circle.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Mar 30th, '07, 05:30

Ok I found another scene. This could have been one of my favorite thai drama, but they had to add this near the end.

Pee Nong 2 Leuard.

ep. 19 (3/5)
He's telling her that he can't stop thinking about her though she is his brother's gf. Then he assaults her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yge-_SLT ... 9&index=88

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Mar 30th, '07, 11:09

now i can say this: true indeed...and it happens between the leading roles...usually only thugs are supposed to do rapes, arent they...lol...now it got me thinking maybe that's the way to get a thai woman...just kidding...i dont believe that rapes would lead out to a healthy relationships, i mean something's just not right if they do work out...to summarize: thai dramas are the most unreal ones lol...

tooni

Post by tooni » Apr 5th, '07, 09:29

i have to do with the stupid double moral in thailand, we all have been taught that a man and a women is different!!

and somehow man have so much freedom in live and seem like they never blame a man for anything!!! As if all the fault fall to women. just give out some saying......

if he is cheatin on his wife, well it's her fault to seduce him, and it's his wife's fault for not make he happy enought!

If a man talk to many girl, well he have it goin!!! if a girl do the same, no one will want her to be a mother of their child!

You know that in our parent time the most popular way to get a bride is to sood(kidnap) her right(well, that happen to my mom and her 1st husband, but later she left him)? That just another proof how little a women's feeling is not count in the Thailand. And another thing the rap scene mean that she belong to him!!!!

I dont rilly think the rapscene will ever be gone, when the lead actress is ok doing it, when all the women watchin it are ok with it! what needed is someone to stand and say a rap is a rap, it doesnt matter if he love her or not!. If he force her even befor their marry, wat does it say about his charactor.

oh, man this rap-scene rilly get me boiling mad sometime! and the point that no one have try to poit out that is wrong in thai-ent. make me sick!!
Last edited by tooni on Apr 5th, '07, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Apr 5th, '07, 10:03

What?? In Thailand the most popular way to get a bride is to kidnap her? I've never heard of that before. Thats very scary, I'm repulsed right now. Of what I know of Thailand is about the forced child prostitution and mail order bride and the high rape numbers. Stuff like this really pisses me off. Its like whats got to happen for stuff like this to stop? When will it stop?

tooni

Post by tooni » Apr 5th, '07, 10:51

christaluvsdrama wrote:What?? In Thailand the most popular way to get a bride is to kidnap her? I've never heard of that before. Thats very scary, I'm repulsed right now. Of what I know of Thailand is about the forced child prostitution and mail order bride and the high rape numbers. Stuff like this really pisses me off. Its like whats got to happen for stuff like this to stop? When will it stop?

yeah, for around 30 years or so ago, maybe not as much popular in the city as in the coutry side.....

i dont think it will stop anytime soon, since no one have make a big deal of it!

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Oct 27th, '07, 22:44

Wow, I never thought of it that way. It's a concealer. My gawd, why didn't I think about that. It all makes sense now! Thanks martina.

Yeah a couple of years ago, I used to read those little girly Japanese mangas where the girl, is forced by some older dude, who's usually in his mid-to-late-20s, into some kind of sexual act, and then later fall in love w/that same guy. Thing is the girl is always saying "no" but her thoughts in the bubble are always "i know it's painful, but um, it feels pleasurable and stuff [sic]" and i was always going huh? But reading that post cleared that up. She wanted it, I mean, why else would she be thinking that, but it's because she's not an active participant, that it became "ok" for girls reading this, with thoughts like these to indulge in this. I finally stopped reading those when I read one about a girl who was 10 years old and a guy who's like 26, and he forced himself on her. Firstly, I was appalled that they'd allow a girl that young to be the heroine, and then when I read on, he kind of dumped her temporarily cuz she got her period :glare: It was just all too much, I mean, she was 10 for crying out loud.

As for the rape scenes in dramas, I've seen one in a Japanese drama called Ooku - Hana no Ran, but the aftermath of that was done right. The shogun or whoeever, raped a couple of women there and none of them were too happy, not even later, and they never fell in love with him--not even close, ha! And when I lived in the Philippines over a decade ago, I remember watching dramas and there was always a rape scene somewhere, but usually done by the bad guys. Yeah, I think I was about 8 or 9 and me and my little cousins would re-enact those scenes, not knowing how truly bad they were. When I was at that age, I thought raping was kissing, since that's all I saw in those shows. Only when I came to the U.S. and perhaps cuz I was older, did I realize the monstrosity of the act.

I hate that these scenes have to be included at all, but I think there's a stupid idea that people won't watch it, unless they see something erotic or something like that in these shows.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Oct 27th, '07, 23:14

That kind of shoujo manga sounds like the type found in magazines like Sho-Comi. Beginning in the late 90s or so, Sho-Comi began running a lot of manga with sex in them, and those types of rape scenes showed up often. Sho-Comi has become controversial in recent years with angry parents writing to newspapers about it, the PTA naming it the worst magazine for children, etc. In fact, a common nickname of Sho-Comi on 2ch is 性コミ, which pretty much means "SexComi". :P

Those series are pretty much the equivalent of the trashy romance novels that were mentioned in an earlier post. However, not all shoujo manga are like that.

There was a J-drama in the mid-90s called Mahiru no Tsuki that starred Tokiwa Takako. It was about a woman who is brutally raped, and the trauma she experiences. I haven't seen it, but it has pretty good reviews.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Oct 27th, '07, 23:47

doink-chan wrote: There was a J-drama in the mid-90s called Mahiru no Tsuki that starred Tokiwa Takako. It was about a woman who is brutally raped, and the trauma she experiences. I haven't seen it, but it has pretty good reviews.
I saw Mahiru No Tsuki and I love it. It is an honest potrayal of rape (the rape is between the lead female and some gangsters not the male lead). I especially love how they don't act like love conquers all. She needed real psychiatric help and eventually that's what she gets. It's available with English subs and I highly rcommend it.

As for the Thai shows, It looks like I will never watch one. From what I saw on those You tube clips they are extremely disturbing and I would never be able to sit through the show after seeing something like that.

meviet

Post by meviet » Nov 13th, '07, 05:02

i only saw kaew ta pee, and there were at least three rape scenes in there. i thought it was just for this series only, but now you mention it, i do think it's quite scary. i hope it's not true that raping is normal and ok for thai audiences. it's not ok at all.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Nov 25th, '07, 09:52

meviet wrote:i only saw kaew ta pee, and there were at least three rape scenes in there. i thought it was just for this series only, but now you mention it, i do think it's quite scary. i hope it's not true that raping is normal and ok for thai audiences. it's not ok at all.
I just finished watching Kaew Tah Pee, and I only saw cases of attempted rape. That is, a guy forces a girl on a bed, but the whole thing stops pretty soon, and there is no actual intercourse. Even clothes are kept on. Also, the guy is the baddie. It should be quite clear to any audience that what he is doing is bad.

maro1985

Post by maro1985 » Nov 25th, '07, 10:51

Takekaze wrote:Women may have more rights in America or Europe, but listen to a certain part of the male specimen. Listen to the comments they make about women. Nothing has really changed there. The statement "if she's dressing up like that, she's asking to get raped" is still around pretty much everywhere. The Japanese health minister called women "birth giving machines" and got a lot of flak for it. Surely, in Europe or America no politician would dare to say that, but not because they think it's wrong. Sorry, but politicians are notorious liars, don't tell me they really care whether this is statement is right or wrong. The politician in America or Europe doesn't say it, for the simple reason that he's concerned about his public image, because of the next election, because he wants to stay in power (or get more of that). He may think it (especially conservatives), but he won't say it out loud, or outside of a small trusted circle.
I don't think that politicians in America or Europe would ever think that way,and I think you are vey ignorant of this situation and talk completly out of context...take for example Cherie Blair,the former UK prime minister's wife, she is a barrister now and makes more money that her husband...as for the conservatives who will hopefully never come to power in the UK again, they have actually started a petition just last month on tougher sentences for rapests and more aid for vicitims.
As for America did you completely forget Condoleezza Rice, the brains behind the Bush administration,I'm sure they dont think her a 'baby making machine'!

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Nov 25th, '07, 15:54

Sakari wrote:I just finished watching Kaew Tah Pee, and I only saw cases of attempted rape. That is, a guy forces a girl on a bed, but the whole thing stops pretty soon, and there is no actual intercourse. Even clothes are kept on. Also, the guy is the baddie. It should be quite clear to any audience that what he is doing is bad.
I haven't seen that show at all but what you're describing sounds like the particular rape scenes cited earlier that I saw on YouTube. The problem isn't showing the actual rape, cuz obviously doing that would cross it over to pornography. The problem is that the idea of rape is portrayed um, too casually. And the girl falling in love with the very same guy that raped her doesn't help.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Nov 25th, '07, 17:12

ackirom wrote: I haven't seen that show at all but what you're describing sounds like the particular rape scenes cited earlier that I saw on YouTube. The problem isn't showing the actual rape, cuz obviously doing that would cross it over to pornography. The problem is that the idea of rape is portrayed um, too casually. And the girl falling in love with the very same guy that raped her doesn't help.
I don't know what you have seen. At least in Kaew Tah Pee, the girls that the bad guy tries to rape do not fall in love with him. Quite the opposite.

GlamourGirl40

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Nov 25th, '07, 17:59

Omg i feel bad for Thai women. I really think Thai culture is very interesting but the fact that women are degraded is really sad.
abstractcandy wrote:Martina is right on the money- viewers want to see something they feel is "erotic", but they don't want female leads in dramas to be "loose". Ridiculous, but unfortunately, that's the way it is at the moment.
I also kinda think this is true.

Gluestick

Post by Gluestick » Dec 28th, '07, 10:24

Don't forget the psycho Thai chick in every Thai drama...

hoosdathu

Post by hoosdathu » Jan 25th, '08, 10:51

not always rape, but almost definitely got some hot scenes... i watched province 77 recently... wow wee... the dancing chick was hot :p

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jan 31st, '08, 01:15

Province 77 was a terrible movie, I had to fast-forward to most of it.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 31st, '08, 01:40

@nopankh: couldn't help but notice your "jam loey rak" avatar and signature :)

unfortunately, even that lakorn had a rape scene that i wished I had skipped over. (episode 7)
I was not at all pleased to see Harit rape Soriya in episode 7. I wanted to squeeze his neck and kill him for her. I don't condone rape at all...and what made it worse was that he raped her in the guise that she was someone named "Sansanee". I was literally going WTF! In a case of mistaken identities, please lay off on the rape. And then he finds out she wasn't lying all along......in episode 8. what irony~

I know everyone seems to like So with Harit, but I prefer her with the gardener dude with the college degree whatever his name was.

sarasma

Post by sarasma » Apr 15th, '08, 14:24

"there has always been rape in Lakorns. A typical thai drama (not saying all) have the male lead rape the lead girl and she becomes pregnant and they fall in love. OR he rapes her to prove his love and then they work it out and then they fall in love. The evil side character gets rape occasionally. Personally, this is sickening. What is this saying about thai culture or rape in general? Clearly this is not ok, but yet thai drama makes rape seem OK! "

That pretty much summarizes it.. I really did not understand how could a woman ever forgive her raper... especially if she was virgin!!! this is not a thing to forgive even if later the raper apologizes... as you said thai dramas make rapes seems OK which is culturally/religiously/ internationally known as a BIG NO NO and INHUMAN :/

GraceKelly00

Post by GraceKelly00 » Jun 1st, '08, 08:49

Thank god I'm not the only one who noticed this... I got interested in Thai drama after I saw Kaew Tah Pee.

Quick summary:
rich blind guy is waiting for cornea transplant (eye). Had one previous bad relationship where gold digger left him he was in love with her was so angry he drove the car too fast got glass shard in eye... that's why he needs the eye transplant
Anyways he goes off with a servant to some lost town for some piece of mind. School teacher gets on bus to said lost town. She was engaged to a bastard of a man who she was going to marry before she found out he was already married. She is so depressed she hops off the bus to kill herself. He saved her. She thinks he is poor fisherman. They get married rest of drama is about people trying to pull them apart.

In that drama there was a attempted rape scene but it was the bad guy not the male lead. The bad guy tried to rape her and then he tried his own niece. No one fell in love with him.

Then I watched Leh Rah Tree. OMG I thought I was watching a romance/drama/comedy but heck that rape scene and she gets pregnant from the rape scene and the evil dude also attempts to rape her.

Sawan Biang. Male lead kidnaps female lead because he is angry and got defamed by the female lead sister who also happens to be his step-mother. He kidnaps female leads, keeps her captive for a weekend at least, rapes her not once but FOUR times at least, physically abusive, emotionally abusive too. Female lead gets pregnant. In the end fall in love forgives him and they are happy together. I was baffled.

Someone also mentioned jam loey rak. OMG i was going to kill the male lead. I thought it was my bad luck to fall on thai drama where there was a rape scene with the male and female lead but heck.... This is very disturbing; this is saying well if the guy has anger issues, likes you but can't seem to speak (because apparently never learnt how....) it's ok for him to rape you then you can start feeling for me and if you are pregnant you marry him. I think I won't be watching anymore thai drama.....

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 12:35

sarasma wrote:"there has always been rape in Lakorns. A typical thai drama (not saying all) have the male lead rape the lead girl and she becomes pregnant and they fall in love. OR he rapes her to prove his love and then they work it out and then they fall in love. The evil side character gets rape occasionally. Personally, this is sickening. What is this saying about thai culture or rape in general? Clearly this is not ok, but yet thai drama makes rape seem OK! "

That pretty much summarizes it.. I really did not understand how could a woman ever forgive her raper... especially if she was virgin!!! this is not a thing to forgive even if later the raper apologizes... as you said thai dramas make rapes seems OK which is culturally/religiously/ internationally known as a BIG NO NO and INHUMAN :/
Please tell me your kidding that the rape victim becomes in love with the rapist....

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 20th, '09, 01:07

kuro570 wrote:
sarasma wrote:"there has always been rape in Lakorns. A typical thai drama (not saying all) have the male lead rape the lead girl and she becomes pregnant and they fall in love. OR he rapes her to prove his love and then they work it out and then they fall in love. The evil side character gets rape occasionally. Personally, this is sickening. What is this saying about thai culture or rape in general? Clearly this is not ok, but yet thai drama makes rape seem OK! "

Please tell me your kidding that the rape victim becomes in love with the rapist....
+
SHe/He is not. These pretty accurately describe the dramas.
Last edited by sabriyahm on Oct 15th, '16, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Basuha

Post by Basuha » Feb 20th, '09, 01:36

WOW, I never watch Thai drama but reading this I'm glad I don't. It a big different between saying NO and meaning NO....I hope these drama display the latter but I don't which to watch it to find out.

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 20th, '09, 01:50

i'm a big fan of thai lakorns and i've began watching them before Chinese/Japanese/Korean dramas... i still watch them but not as much anymore... and yes... it is a bit disturbing seeing a lot of it in lakorns when it isn't present in it's counter part dramas... may be it's a cultural thing...i'm not sure...cuz i'm not thai so i wouldn't know 100%...

BlaqNumbr9

Post by BlaqNumbr9 » Feb 20th, '09, 02:17

Well, ladies and gentlemen, do something about it. Find out who the production companies are and begin a protest. Rally people together and put pressure on these companies. Or you can make a Thai/Lao website that points these things out and denounce them. It can be a site where victims of rape can come to vent. It can also bring change to an entire country.

The power is in your hands.

getawayfrom

Post by getawayfrom » Feb 20th, '09, 02:39

I have not watch any Thai drama so I wouldn't know but do they actually show the raping part? I was watching the Korean drama EAST OF EDEN where there was a rape in the drama but they never show the actual part so you wouldn't even notice it was rape but you could sense it was. Actually there was nothing to see that it was a rape but you know it's a rape by the talking in the drama. I might just watch one of the Thai drama to see why it's such a controversy issue with these kind of drama.

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Feb 20th, '09, 05:05

I'm not Thai either but have been watching Thai dramas on and off for the past few years. Almost every Thai drama has a rape scene but of course it's just a hint of what happened, never the graphics of it. But what is disturbing is that in the dramas the use of 'force' seems to be an acceptable norm for a man to express his love for a woman. I'm not against the use of rape as a storyline. In the right context and the right storyline it can be very emotionally gripping as in "The Accused" but when you tell millions of people that force against women is alright and acceptable this tends to breed a society that is skewed. Thai dramas are often very removed from reality and in that sense very similar to Bollywood productions where selling tickets are selling unrealistic dreams to ordinary people whereby they get to escape from reality for a few hours. I suppose if society just accept it as a form of escapism and not as facts of life the damage might be minimal. I'm not saying the portrayal of violence against women is right but change, if any, must come from the Thai people themselves as we are in no position to know why there are no protest against this in Thailand itself. Anyway singling out Thai dramas ignores the fact that tons of Western literature disguised as 'romance books' are also selling rape as being acceptable. Therefore this victimisation of women is not only an Asian problem but world-wide.

sijhawm

Post by sijhawm » Jul 9th, '09, 13:22

we're all entitled to our own opinion and somehow i prefer thai lakorns over korean, chinese, tawanese..etc.. that's why if you don't like something then just don't watch it. it's that easy.

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Jul 9th, '09, 14:13

I was born in Thailand and was very influence to Thai and Chinese culture because my parents been watching their dramas ever since I could talk. A lot of Thai dramas are very good. There are plenty that doesn't have the rape thingy. I can say close to about half of it have the rape thing going for the lead roles. It is wrong but it does not mean that the story itself is bad. It's only these past 5 years that I slowed down on watching them because I've gotten into Korean and Japanese stuff. Wrong or not.....please watch it before making any real assumptions. If you don't taste the food how do you know if it is good or not? And as far as I know most Thai/Khmer women gets to keep the husband's savings. That alone should say how much men respect their wives over there.

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Jul 9th, '09, 14:43

Well it bothers me to frankly, but I try to look at drama as only a blurry window into the country that makes them not AS IS. If you believe most K-drama every girl in Korea a virgin and most of the men never kissed a girl..lol..yeah right.
But yes rape and guns..everyone seems to have guns and a pretty girl can not walk across the street without being raped or kidnapped and sold. And I only watch Thai comedies!
One I swear the lead girl was threatened with rape or sold to a brothel twice every episode. she never was..quite but as mention in this thread, the evil girl of the story was raped..divine punishment is seems or something like that.
But even with that is was funny..after all in the same Tv show the lead girl sells the lead guy off to a couple of gays so all fair.
I have often wondered if rape has more than one meaning in Thai lang as it used so much and in some odd places.
I think the bottom line is most drama are fantasy while they may reflect in some way the culture that makes them, they should not be taken as the way things really are. A blurry window.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Mar 25th, '11, 22:55

Oh wow, I didn't know this was frequent in Thai lakorn's. I just finished my first lakorn Jam Loey Rak and was so upset that Soraya was raped and ended up being forced in love to marry her attacker. I will be careful to select my lakorn's and other Asian drama carefully from now on. I don't want to see rape and then love resulting from a rape situation. Rape does not equal love it equals hatred and cruelty in any culture or society.

LakornFan

Not all Lakorn is Rawr

Post by LakornFan » Aug 4th, '15, 21:58

christaluvsdrama wrote:I haven't seen any Thai Drama's yet. I'm really surprised to hear that though. Is it a cultural thing for Thai men? Are the Thai ppl understanding of drama's and movies like this?

I'd say some of the 'Rawr' TV does stem from Thai/South East Asian culture. It used to be quasi-common for rape to happen. Today rape cases still aren't reported as frequently as they should be. Part of the ideology behind rape there is a type of machismo found in South East Asia. Some rape cases are a show of affection that is the very antithesis of Western idea of love. I'd say most rape cases are still people being horrible people.

I'm certainly not condoning force. It is not okay. That being said, I don't shun Rawr TV. The stories are very compelling, the high emotion that goes into it is very good drama. And if you like Revenge in your TV, the ladies 99% of the time get payback to the guys that have raped them. If I like the actors and the plot sounds good I'll watch it. Another tag to look out for if you don't like drama like this is Slap/Kiss. Usually they have Rawr in it, but not all the time.

Great non-Rawr Lakorn is Red Castle (probably my favorite Lakorn of all time), One in My Heart (2006 or 2015 version) Duang Taa Nai Duang Jai (super cute w/ tall lead actor), Sawan Saang (P'ek is a total jerk, but things are revealed & he becomes sympathetic character, this is slap/kiss with a consensual love scene that is very sweet. No rape.)