The Myth 2005

Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Mainland China entertainments goes here.
Free Bird

The Myth 2005

Post by Free Bird » Jan 29th, '06, 03:15

anyone seen this movie? I just saw it fea days ago, i still want to watch it again, its one of the greatest movie i have seen. I don't know why it's good, but it is just good, it make me think about lots of things, like this world is nothing but an illusion, time goes by and nothing last forever :(
You live and die, what can you take with you after death?
AARRG so many things, this movie is just great, also the love story in it is very nice :)

kyoshi

bleh

Post by kyoshi » Jan 29th, '06, 04:13

watched it a while ago, and yeah pretty much fell in love witht he movie.

Its actually pretty good for a Jacky Chan movie, none of the usual comedy antics... ok well there was a lil bit in the present.

Only problem was that it was kinda choppy how they went from past to present and it didn't flow that much. Especially the part in India, they could've filmed that part a lot better.

BTW: Kim Hee-Sun memorized her lines for that movie, but it wasn't bad ^^ Love the main theme song (Shen Hua)

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Jan 29th, '06, 05:31

what language they speak in there?

kyoshi

?

Post by kyoshi » Jan 29th, '06, 08:35

in the mv or in the movie?

mv/mp3 is in mandarin/korean

Movie is in different languages actually:
Past: Mandarin
Past: Some Korean at the beginning
Present: Cantonese (i think...)
Present: English
Present: some Indian

Free Bird

Post by Free Bird » Jan 29th, '06, 19:07

the switch between present and ancient is quite good i think.

But damn, there are so many nice actresses lately, and most are asian, i have seen loads of western movie and can't see anyone nice ^^

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 29th, '06, 19:27

The movie sucked hard. Perhaps the worst thing Jackie Chan ever did... he should be embarassed. I can't believe we are talking about the same film. I showed it to a group of twelve people and I was the only one to sit through it until the end.

Free Bird

Post by Free Bird » Jan 29th, '06, 23:09

well, actually if u watch it as a normal movie then it sux ye. But i like the idea of it, really nice, give me alot to think about;)

krafty

Post by krafty » Jan 29th, '06, 23:31

i havent watched it yet, but heard the fighting is really good... i guess that's expected from a Jacky Chan movie

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '06, 01:54

krafty wrote:i havent watched it yet, but heard the fighting is really good... i guess that's expected from a Jacky Chan movie
Yeah... all 5 minutes of it... NOT what you expect from a Jackie Chan movie.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Jan 30th, '06, 01:54

I normally watch Jackie Chan's movies for action and not really for plot, so I didn't expect to get into The Myth's story or characters too much. But I liked the ancient scenes in this movie a lot and I think Jackie did a pretty good job overall, plot holes aside. The India-China connection, the modern-ancient connection and the very end didn't make all that much sense, but just the ancient parts made the movie for me. Jackie captured the epic feeling of ancient warfare quite well. (I like the way they showed the end of his ancient character's last stand.)

The modern battle on the sticky conveyer belt really cracked me up. That was Jackie humor right there.

Though the ending wasn't logical to me, it had more emotion than many entire movies I've seen this year. I wasn't disappointed in The Myth; it made me scratch my head because things didn't always match up, but that's nothing new with movies. The ancient-modern mix was new though, and that made it quite interesting to watch.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '06, 02:10

I guess this means nobody here ever saw A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthour's court... which was the first crappy movie (out of about a hundred) to do this same thing.

A Jackie Chan movie is supposed to have a weak plot wrapped around a whole lot of fantastic stunts. The myth has a weak plot wrapped around a lot of lame CG and wirework. Anybody that has ever seen Police Story would be disappointed by The Myth. I love Jackie Chan's old movies (before he went to the U.S. and became the straight man for a bunch of really talentless American actors)... but The Myth just plain sucks.

T_Mak__

Post by T_Mak__ » Jan 30th, '06, 07:23

The boat was probably the best part of the movie.

Free Bird

Post by Free Bird » Jan 30th, '06, 15:21

well, true this movie got alot of holes, i dont like the inda part either, but still the ancient part is cool.

The reason i think this movie is great is cus it give me a view of love tat can last in thousand of years, and reincarnation of the general, make me think tat death may not be the end of everything, cus something will last forever.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Jan 31st, '06, 01:46

If a movie is bad just because it uses an idea or theme that's been used before, then every movie ever made and ever will be made (and every novel and play ever written) is automatically bad. It's all been done before.

The story of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court operates on a completely different level than The Myth: in Yankee the guy himself travels to the past in real-time, aka in his lifetime (like Step into the Past) and interacts with the past people from the perspective of a modern person. The Myth deals with past lives, where the character isn't in the past himself, but is remembering who he used to be. He doesn't have control over what already happened and doesn't act in the past with the perspective of his modern self. He really isn't his past self, as he comes to realize. Actually, you could say that instead of traveling back to the past in The Myth, the past came to the present. Totally the opposite of Yankee.

Plus, I assume all the movie makes of Yankee are somewhat based on the novel. Movies based on books tend to at least have a relatively reasonable plot to go off of, while I already remarked that The Myth's modern-to-ancient plot is sadly warped. I still enjoyed many parts of it, though.

And as far as I know, this is one of the first major modern Chinese movies to have settings in both the past and the present.

Free Bird

Post by Free Bird » Jan 31st, '06, 20:48

i havent seen much chinese movies, but there is a serie tat is really good, i watched it long ago, its about a guy travelling back in time to the time before the emperor in the Myth (dunno names). And he also became friend with the becoming emperor. This was the first chinese video which have time travelling. But again it's physical travel, not flash back of memories, so maybe it's true the Myth is the first chinese movie with flash back mixed with present.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Feb 1st, '06, 01:42

That series would probably be Step into the Past, as I mentioned :) A HK series starring Louis Koo, right?

nodrog

Post by nodrog » Feb 2nd, '06, 07:42

Yeah I agree with Calcifur. I mean really ideas been used well so have a lot of them. No one really has an original idea anymore.

Anyways it was a good movie, a little bit confusing at first but overall it was good.

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 8th, '06, 16:23

A favor to ask regarding this movie. There was a korean song that played in the movie when the two met up in the mausoleum, does anyone know what that song is and maybe where I can dl it. It sounds absolutely beautiful!

thank you in advance!

Deleted User 44190

Post by Deleted User 44190 » Feb 9th, '06, 02:55

If Jackie Chan had the movie split in two: Modern and Ancient ( I prefer Ancient), The movie would have been the best movie I have seen.

Rakkie

Post by Rakkie » Mar 9th, '06, 22:27

can someone explain to me that when you introduce ancient characters in a Chinese movie why do you have to introduce supernatural powers into the characters (like jumping 20 feet, bouncing off water/trees, etc)?

it seems like every Chinese epic does this (CTHD,Hero,etc), but Korean ones like Emperor of the Sea and Damo do not. i prefer my action more grounded in reality.

i saw this movie a few months ago and all i can really remember is dragging on for too long and the fight scene on the conveyor belt.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Mar 10th, '06, 02:45

Emperor of the Sea and Damo are both series. You shouldn't talk about series with movies because it's not a fair comparison. (I loved that conveyor belt scene, by the way.) I think Chinese movies try to spice their ancient plots up with supernatural stuff because ancient-themed media is nothing special. They want to do something different with movies but it usually backfires. This "deep", martial-arts supernatural powers, flying, bouncing stuff like in CTHD is a very recent development and definitely not the norm in the overall scheme of things.

If you want to watch things like Emperor of the Sea/Damo, you're in the wrong department; you want Chinese series, not movies. In that case, you'll be drowning in them. There are hundreds of Chinese ancient/historical dramas dealing with everything from court intrigue (Prince of Han, The Last Concubine, Emperor Kang Xi Incognito, Ji Xiao Lan, Ming Dynasty, Wu Ze Tian,) to war (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Sui Tang Heroes) to adventures/generals/royalty (Princess Returned Pearl, various Yang Family Generals series, Water Margin, etc) to period romances (Moment in Beijing, Story of a Noble Family) to ancient detective stories (various Justice Bao series, the Song Dynasty Investigator) and so on. All relatively free of weak characterization and plot holes and CG/wires, especially. The wuxia genre has endless titles as well, though they'll have some more fighting/flying, naturally. Some of the newer series might use the wires and CG a lot, but it's a relatively new trend. Any hardcore Mainland historical series will be free of major "artistic" junk and supernatural stuff. Lately there's been a reawakening of the ghost/fantasy genre, so there're more of those kinds of series coming out, but they're still more coherent than these so-called "wuxia" movies like CTHD, House of Flying Daggers (thought Hero was ok, the Myth was bearable). I personally think these movies are giving the genre a bad rap with their incoherent plots.

owimevil

Post by owimevil » Mar 13th, '06, 23:47

yea i saw this movie. i was surprised at how good this movie actually was :lol