ARRGGGHHH!!! The Oscars just snubbed the Chinese!!

Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Mainland China entertainments goes here.
auroragb

ARRGGGHHH!!! The Oscars just snubbed the Chinese!!

Post by auroragb » Feb 26th, '07, 04:04

I'm watching the Oscars and they said that infernal affairs was a Japanese film when they announced that The Departed won the best Adapted Screenplay Award

Japan had nothing to do with this film!! They could have said Chinese or HK, but they said Japanese. The guy who won could have corrected it, but to be fair, he's probably too excited to hear...

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Feb 26th, '07, 04:09

i know! when i heard it, i was shocked. how could they get something like that wrong? :blink as for correcting it, i was wondering about that, can the audience hear the commentary that we hear? but anyways, at least he thanked the original screenwriters...

Star42985

Post by Star42985 » Feb 26th, '07, 04:12

OMG! I know! I was so shocked to hear the mistake.

Please join me in a united effort to get the Academy to admit the mistake by contacting them.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211

Telephone: (310) 247-3000
Facsimile: (310) 859-9619

You can also write them an email by going to this web address.
http://www.oscars.org/contact/general.html

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Feb 26th, '07, 04:16

I was shocked when I heard that too! We can't let them take away our glory :lol

I'm with ya Star, it's just wrong. They shouldn't have made such a simple mistake. They'll definitely be getting a piece of my mind. If need be, I'll personally go there on my lunch break. :lol

~penelope~

Post by ~penelope~ » Feb 26th, '07, 04:37

:cussing: :cussing:

grrrr

I guess Americans only think Japan is the worthy Asian country. Also lately their movies have to do with Japanese.

Last Samuri
Babel ==> has a Japanese actress
Iwo Jimo (i think thats how you spell it)
Geisha

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Feb 26th, '07, 04:41

(Could someone explain exactly what happened??!! plz?!)

Star42985

Post by Star42985 » Feb 26th, '07, 04:44

When Mr. William Monahan won for best Adapted Screenplay for the film The Departed, the announcer said that the film was based on a Japanese film Infernal Affairs. The film is actually a Chinese production.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Feb 26th, '07, 04:51

OOOH!!! OUCH! Well that sucks! What the hell?!?! That's not fair!

bl00_4ng31

Post by bl00_4ng31 » Feb 26th, '07, 04:51

ooooooo wow.....

that's a stupid mistake to make :x

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Feb 26th, '07, 05:06

Funny thing is, I'm not surprised by this screw-up. :glare:

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Feb 26th, '07, 05:19

~penelope~ wrote::cussing: :cussing:

grrrr

I guess Americans only think Japan is the worthy Asian country. Also lately their movies have to do with Japanese.

Last Samuri
Babel ==> has a Japanese actress
Iwo Jimo (i think thats how you spell it)
Geisha
Quick question... who were the actresses in Geisha?

Hmmmm, I wonder how black ppl feel about the 'Oscars snubs' this year. I am sure someone's written a book about the 'Oscar snubs'. You just have to find it.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/feat ... 3snub.html

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Feb 26th, '07, 05:29

That's how I felt when I saw the Oscars and they made that mistake. Hollywood and America in general have this fascination with Japan and still .. grr . I can't believe they made that mistake.

And really, Martin Scorsese is a great director and everything, but I can't believe that the pinnacle of his career is due to his adaption of another film. Seriously .. I thought Infernal Affairs was a bit better than "The Departed". I liked the ending to IA more, also.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 26th, '07, 05:54

Kamui6 wrote:Quick question... who were the actresses in Geisha?

Hmmmm, I wonder how black ppl feel about the 'Oscars snubs' this year. I am sure someone's written a book about the 'Oscar snubs'. You just have to find it.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/feat ... 3snub.html
I don't want to make this an issue about chinese vs japanese, that is not the point. They could have called it a Korean or Mexican film and, imo, it would be equally bad.

Whether or not people were nominated or not, fairly or not, is also not the point.

But the problem is the sheer magnitude of the ERROR of MISATTRIBUTION of work. The Oscars is a fancy popularity award, so who gets in or out has a lot more to do with politics than sheer quality of work. But to attribute to one people the work that was done by another people, is like giving the Scorcese the Best Director award for his work in Little Miss Sunshine.

When the whole point of an award show is to give recognition, such error is near unforgivable. Everything that is done in voiceover should have been proofread and edited multiple times, this is extremely big snafu

At least Scorcese emphasized "the original film from Hong Kong" when he gave his speech

The Oscars should definitely offer a formal apology for its error

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Feb 26th, '07, 06:01

donna8157 wrote:That's how I felt when I saw the Oscars and they made that mistake. Hollywood and America in general have this fascination with Japan and still .. grr . I can't believe they made that mistake.

And really, Martin Scorsese is a great director and everything, but I can't believe that the pinnacle of his career is due to his adaption of another film. Seriously .. I thought Infernal Affairs was a bit better than "The Departed". I liked the ending to IA more, also.
i thought script was better written in IA than 'The Departed'. However, I thought the actors are better in the 'The Departed'. :salut:

blackcoffee

Post by blackcoffee » Feb 26th, '07, 09:19

preferred IA too..

-
yes, i agree.. although perhaps they were all too excited and they thought its the same thing. "all asian countries. is there a significant difference?" - ive been asked loads and when i tell them that there are actually significant differences theyre like "really!" but lol, some just dont care :/

melica37

Post by melica37 » Feb 26th, '07, 09:57

I thought the actors are better in the 'The Departed'.
I couldn't disagree more but to each his own.

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Feb 26th, '07, 10:01

IA is definitely better than The Departed in terms of acting and script.

hun_wun_gal

Post by hun_wun_gal » Feb 26th, '07, 17:28

I haven't watched the Oscars. It's a bad mistake taking glory from the HK entertainment. I also prefer IA alot more to The Departed. Both films had their good and bad points but i generally think IA is better.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 26th, '07, 17:48

The purpose of the Oscars is for U.S. studio execs to slap each other on the back publicly. Anybody that wastes their time watching that pathetic dog-and-pony show and ISN'T outraged by it deserves to watch only the crap that Hollywood poops out.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 26th, '07, 18:08

scorsese corrected them.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 26th, '07, 18:09

pokute wrote:The purpose of the Oscars is for U.S. studio execs to slap each other on the back publicly. Anybody that wastes their time watching that pathetic dog-and-pony show and ISN'T outraged by it deserves to watch only the crap that Hollywood poops out.
all award shows are like that, aren't they? :lol half the movies i like wouldnt be considered for an oscar anyway.

:salut: i see nothing wrong with scrocese getting an oscar, he got jobbed so many times before.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Feb 26th, '07, 18:15

haha, When I heard the anouncer say, "the script was adapted from the Japanese film Internal Affairs," I freaking screamed! It's CHINESE people...oh my god. . freaking Oscars!

janlow

Post by janlow » Feb 27th, '07, 06:49

Hear hear. I think they should make an apology. How can they make such a stupid mistake! Preferred IF

skachild

Post by skachild » Feb 27th, '07, 07:11

Star42985 wrote:OMG! I know! I was so shocked to hear the mistake.

Please join me in a united effort to get the Academy to admit the mistake by contacting them.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
8949 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California 90211

Telephone: (310) 247-3000
Facsimile: (310) 859-9619

You can also write them an email by going to this web address.
http://www.oscars.org/contact/general.html
i just send them an email... WTF, how come there can make such a mistake...!!! :cussing:
i didn't watch the oscar but i didnt think that the departed can win so many awards(especially best picture), this movie suck..!!!!
compare too infernal affairs... :thumleft: