Music Bank, Music Core, Inkigayo, Mnet M Countdown, etc etc

Discuss the Korean music industry.
xk

Music Bank, Music Core, Inkigayo, Mnet M Countdown, etc etc

Post by xk » Aug 15th, '12, 02:21

Guys, girls,

I created a thread about complaining stage lighting and brightness issue with Music Bank stage and broadcast PQ about a month or so ago right?

I complained that Music Bank stage didn't have sufficient lighting to make artists appear with right brightness and hence affected the skin tones?

Well guess what. Watching the recently released shows I see that Music Bank has JACKED UP the video recording brightness instead of increasing the intensity of the lighting in the actual stage. :roll Pathetic move... Funny though at least they responded to my complaints. :D

All you have to do is replace or add some light bulbs in the ceiling and change the background set. Spend about $300k on the existing lighting system. That should be sufficient. And DON'T screw around with the recording brightness. You now made the pictures worse! Are you reading? Music bank stage management team? Your video quality was better back in 2008~ 2010. Heck.. And in 2011 you started to go south. And now the 2012, worst PQ I have seen so far from Music Bank. I mean it's not absolutely terrible by any standards. It still RAPES the CRAP out of Mnet M Countdown video quality... now that's an absolute junk I can say for sure.

You need to replace the crew manager that is responsible for stage setup and video recording. You got the nice expensive hardware... why don't ya use it wisely? I know those stationary HD cameras run $150k- 200k each! I suggest you work on your lighting and the background stage setup. Use WALL PAPERS or any "non-moving" solid materials instead of using LED or digital light projection system as it will cause massive amount of video artifacts. Don't use fast flashing lights either as this is the stupidest move.. 1080i /30 interlaced scan isn't able to handle fast motion and fast lighting. It will only cause more video artifacts and will make video look like crap. If you use non-moving background objects or walls the video quality will improve SIGNIFICANTLY. Another option is to upgrade to 1080 progressive scan @ 150 fps but then we are talking massive, massive increase in bandwidth requirement. This means the broadcast company will have to go through some major upgrade.... not going to happen. I suggest you get rid of the stupid LED light backgrounds. It's stupid....not only hurts video quality but also puts more strain on viewers' eyes. If you are not understanding what I'm talking about, I can show you the example of non-moving background sets Vs. LED light flashing background set on video.

MBC Music Core hasn't been so ghey. They have better lighting and the subjects are brighter. Sometimes over-bright, but is better than lacking lights. The skin tones are better and the subjects are more focused. That's what happens when you get enough lights. I guess Music Core camera crews finally realized the trick and learned from their mistakes in the past. KBS Music Bank in comparison the subjects are scattered all over the place. There is no sense of focus, on-point. Still, they need to get rid of the background LED's or any digital projection system they use. It'll screw up the video quality really bad. Again, guys, 1080i /30 isn't designed to handle this kind of stuff. If you have to, downgrade to 720p@ 60 recording, with bit rates keeping the same, around 18~ 20 mbps. That'll almost illiminate the graphical artifacts when using fast flashing lights and fast motion.

SBS Inkigayo is known / famous for strong sense of focus on subjects whic is nice. But they have different problems... the flesh tones are unrealistic as it lacks color depth, and too much edge enhancements applied on subjects. You need the better HD camera... or need to tweak some "settings". It is highly likely they are using the wrong settings as they also have very nice stationary HD cameras... Their recording technique is no surprise to me, as they have been like this way for a long, long time. I guess it's their *traditional* thing... like SBS Inkigayo's unique signature. But still, they need to improve. Have you guys seen their TV drama series lately? It's superb. They upgraded the cameras for that!! They look fantastic and blows the doors off the KBS TV dramas in PQ now...for 2012 that is. KBS has gone downhill in drama recording too this year. I'm telling you... something major has changed in the company. I think they really fired some KBS camera crew managers and hired the wrong people... Big mistake. Anyways, back to the SBS Inkigayo, I also noticed they use less bitrates on recording compare to the Music Bank which may explain why their color depth lack. I suggest you increase it to at least 20 mbps for the video bit rate.

I am not even going to waste my time with the Mnet M Countdown music show... they use a handheld $50 HD camera for recording. They look worse than some 352p ripped drama video from KBS back in 2006. I am not even sure why they exist. This company needs to be taken down. CEASE PRODUCTION.

For music shows the KBS Music Bank, MBC Music Core, and SBS Inkigayo are pretty much the top dog... all the rest TV stations are garbage. I have sworn to myself to never watch anything off Mnet and stations other than these three top three stations noted.

:lol
Last edited by xk on Aug 15th, '12, 20:53, edited 2 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 15th, '12, 09:00

Blame encoders, not the broadcast, OK? Oh, unless you're there personally while recording the show and have live experience. You judge what no one from us has any impact on, we just watch what encoders give.

And KBS gone down with camera work? You saw maybe Gaksital?
Please, write them CV and recommendation letter and maybe they'll accept your offer and in a year you'll improve their studio tremendously. Sincere wishes.

xk

Post by xk » Aug 15th, '12, 12:56

Ethlenn wrote:Blame encoders, not the broadcast, OK? Oh, unless you're there personally while recording the show and have live experience. You judge what no one from us has any impact on, we just watch what encoders give.
It's not the encoders. The videos I am talking refers to the uncompressed 1080i MPEG2-TS original recording. This is straight outta the HD camera. Encoders doesn't come to play here..:)

And KBS gone down with camera work? You saw maybe Gaksital?
No not only that drama. Pretty much all dramas starting of the year 2012 has gone down. I didn't watch all of them, but I suspect there has been a change in the recording method or technique on the KBS side. They were fantastic back in 2005~ 2011 with ones used with stationary cameras. But of course this is separate issue than the lighting and stage background sets in Music Bank stage.. two separate matter...
Please, write them CV and recommendation letter and maybe they'll accept your offer and in a year you'll improve their studio tremendously. Sincere wishes.
I will try to send them the message. I am sure I'm not the only person complaining this particular matter.... :D