New Features?

New D-Addicts phpBB3 forum discussions
SusieQ

New Features?

Post by SusieQ » Sep 1st, '19, 06:07

No announcements were made, but there seem to be at least two new futures added to the forum, one of which I have a small problem with.

First I noticed is also the one I'm bothered by: adding a flag aka defining your country is a new and apparently mandatory feature. I use a VPN for reason of privacy. I'm not totally against the idea of sharing my country of... residence? Origin? Whatever. In fact, I had the "Location" field filled in until recently. But I'd like it to be optional. There doesn't seem a way to dismiss the "please select a flag" dialog besides selecting a flag, and there's no option for undefined or n/a. It's no big deal. I'd just like to be able to select something like "outer space," if I can't just leave the field blank without the nag appearing.

The second is a more confusing feature: thread ratings. They seem to be based on how many "likes" the original post gets and nothing else. Um. Okay. That wasn't at all apparent at a glance. Useless so far. What's the intended application?

Related, my user info on my posts now lists how many times I've "thanked" aka rated. A part of me wants to offer my opinion on this as well, another part knows no one cares. So I'll just leave it at that.

Anything else you're trying out?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Features?

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 4th, '19, 19:16

@SusieQ Selecting the flag is optional. Simply leave the option at "Choose your flag."

I wasn't aware that users couldn't dismiss the notification. I had it ON to let the users know about the new feature, but I have turned off the notification now.

The ratings came with the "Thanks" plugin. I wasn't sure either how the rating worked. Now I know and it doesn't seem to serve any purpose to the posts or topics within a forum. I have removed the ratings and kept the "Thanks" button only.

Saltine
Fansubber
Fansubber
Japan

Post by Saltine » Sep 5th, '19, 13:26

Thanks admin for the update.

IMO it was a very good thing to add the "thank you" button.

I hope that this will stop the users from posting dozens of thank you messages all at once, that will highlight the thread also if no useful/pertinent information are added to the topic.

I, like many users, browse the "new" posts of the thread to see what it is changed from the last login and the multiple thank you additions practically vanishes this function, requiring users to read many more posts to see the real news.

Maybe users should be taught to use this function instead of posting multiple "thank you" messages, unless they have relevant things to say.

Thanks would still come to the author of the post with the significant benefit of reducing thread lengths and the load of the forum.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 6th, '19, 09:18

Saltine wrote: Sep 5th, '19, 13:26 Thanks admin for the update.

IMO it was a very good thing to add the "thank you" button.

I hope that this will stop the users from posting dozens of thank you messages all at once, that will highlight the thread also if no useful/pertinent information are added to the topic.

I, like many users, browse the "new" posts of the thread to see what it is changed from the last login and the multiple thank you additions practically vanishes this function, requiring users to read many more posts to see the real news.

Maybe users should be taught to use this function instead of posting multiple "thank you" messages, unless they have relevant things to say.

Thanks would still come to the author of the post with the significant benefit of reducing thread lengths and the load of the forum.
I appreciate the insight into the application of the feature. :D