Korean translation question

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Briar

Korean translation question

Post by Briar » May 28th, '12, 22:04

I have been a fan of Asian Movies for quite a while but am SOOOOO addicted to Korean TV shows. I have a question that Google isn't helping me with. I've noticed that in the translation on the subtitles that the couples profess their feelings and I am getting the feeling that when they say they "Like" someone, it's not the same as American like. It feels more like an admission of love but I've seen that translated too. So when I talk about friends that I like, I am not saying that I feel a strong romantic feeling, it's more like camaraderie or friendship. So when they break down and admit to liking someone is it similar to admitting love?

Thanks so much for the site. I think my friends and family think I've lost it because I sit and watch for HOURS. My favorite actors (Korean) so far is Lee Min Ho and Jang Geun Suk. Also, I am always looking for advice on what to watch next and this seems like the place to come for help :D

Thanks,
Briar.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 1st, '12, 20:19

Actually it's more of the cultural-linguistic thing regarding this "like/love" thing. It's not translation only.
"Joha hada" - to like (generally)
"Sarang hada" - to love.
Professing the feelings, the former is enough, because "sarang" has deeper, more personal feelings. Sarang is rarely used, unless we know we could die for another person (or spend an entire life with him/her). Asian culture is very cautious with words (which is good). So yes, what normally would be translated as "I like (movies, bacon, etc)", can be translated as "I love you".
Let's not be language purists to the extremes, I've been translating stuff for almost 10 years now, there is nothing like faithful translation. We translate according to situation, you know.
Plus, it's good to know anything basic on Neo-Confucian thoughts and so-called Samgang Oryun. This way why "I like you" is such a strong expression wouldn't surprise anyone.
In Confucian society no one jumped the streets exclaiming "I like you" to any tavern lady.

But, you have terrible taste in actors/actresses, tbh. :D

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 1st, '12, 20:30

Well this is a pleasant place.. Perhaps you should save time and ban me now?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 1st, '12, 21:44

Not everyone gets my humour I guess.
:cry:

But I do think I answered the question. :salut:

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 1st, '12, 22:37

My question was answered nicely on the other thread that people wanted to keep going. I'm somewhat new to Korean movies and TV. Mostly stuff on Netflix and the second thread I asked the question on was titled The Good, The Bad, The Weird... THAT was perhaps the first movie that my teen daughter and I watched and the whole time we were just entranced by how crazy but good that it was and tried to share it with others who lacked our appreciation. So I am just a weird mom discovering new shows that I absolutely love. I watched what I could on Netflix and really liked the shows that Lee Min Ho was in, Especially City Hunter. Now I am catching what I can on YouTube and find Jang Geun Suk movies and TV shows to be quirky, weird and fun. I'm not opposed to venturing out, which is why I found this board. I followed your link to your blog and see that you are pretty much a snarky person in general. I am too, but taste IS subjective and I am going to need guidance and advice on what to watch next. I need people who can understand my interests but not judge them. I have a bajillion questions yet to come and hoped I'd found a place to ask them. I love the other thread I posted on because it's talking about all the interesting things that seem to pop up in most of the shows I've watched so far. But I AM a newbie, and I realize that newbies are annoying because they asked the same questions over and over. I've moderated message boards before and answered the same questions over and over. Not everyone has the patience for that. I just may be someone who requires patience? I don't know. I do appreciate the help I've received here, though.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 2nd, '12, 08:36

Well, I do have a lot of patience and I'd love to help.
We had a situation 2 years ago here on D-A, so whenever I see someone stating that her favorite actor/actress is JGS, I think "uh-oh, a crazy fangirl on the horizon", and I load my weapons. So you understand my reaction now.
I have no problems with newbies (good, good, Kdrama fandom grows, kkk), unless they ask questions "how to download", "where are the subs?", "why drama that starts airing in July is not available here??"
Those I destroy, cause they're stupid.

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 2nd, '12, 14:49

I'm 42.. Too old to be a fan girl. I'm just creepy. :P If I can figure out the answers myself I don't ask. The thread with the quirky things is fun. I've noticed a lot of things and now that I read the thread, I'll notice quite a few more.

I've enjoyed movies from Korea, Japan, and China for years. I love the difference in the horror. It amuses me to see American remakes that are never as good. I think it's cultural, the superstitions or perhaps myths or legends? I just start to think that nothing can scare me, and I watch an Asian horror movie and it sticks in my mind. I notice the quirks in them too.

I've been fascinated by all things Asian (more specifically east Asian?) all of my life. It's reflected in the way I decorate my house, the way I cook, etc. My family and friends say I must have been Asian in a former life. I wish I could afford to travel to each of the countries. But I can't so I learn as much as I can online. This board seems very helpful and already I've gotten some answers from very nice members. I appreciate that and I think perhaps I understand you better now too. Like I said, I've been a moderator, too and I know it requires enormous patience. And I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about JGS and LMH. I'll save the names of my VERY favorite actors for awhile. I'm not sure I can handle being teased again :wink:

airboy

Post by airboy » Jun 3rd, '12, 18:42

I have always thought that the words "I love you", often is being said to easy in many movies and dramas from US and other western contries. Okey, they have a time limit so they can't drag thing out too long, but saying "I love you" to somebody you have dated 1-2 times is a bit too much. So in this case "I like you" feels better, but that feels also a bit to weak. "I realy like you a lot" would be somewhat better.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 3rd, '12, 19:02

Briar wrote:I'm 42.. Too old to be a fan girl. I'm just creepy. :P
Once a fangirl - always a fangirl. There is no age limit to that (I'm quite old too). I fangirl hard and I fangirl everyday.

@airboy: exactly about the first part. Throwing "I love you" around when dating someone for 2 weeks seems stupid to me.
In dramas we can hear sometimes "manhi" (pron. man-i) added, meaning "a lot". But at first, when developing a relationship, "I like you" is safer. So in case we break up, we just liked each other. I like mint ice-creams too.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 3rd, '12, 20:52

:-( too old to be a fangirl at 42?

That comes as a shock. Wish I could remember what it was like to be 42 sigh.

And I just found out about BigBang. So I suppose I will just break all the rules and go gaga over G.Dragon and TOP and the others.
I knew there was a reason not to join any Seniors group.

Hi Ethlenn. Has that thread gone missing about the potato and his bra?

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 3rd, '12, 22:09

Okay, since you are all approving, I will admit I'm a total fangirl...Hi, my name is Briar and I'm hopelessly addicted to Korean shows. (Isn't the first step admitting you have a problem??) I saw someone call it a 'noonaphile'. So I totally am. I am also glad to find this group because none of my family will watch any of it with me. It's not as much fun if you don't have someone to discuss it with!!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 3rd, '12, 22:35

It's so good to know I'm not the only pedo-nuna here... :alcoholic: :alcoholic:
Hi Peggy!! Potato is potatoing, released his japanese song album. Below mediocre as everything he's lately done :salut:
For us, older women, all guys are younger, eh...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 4th, '12, 02:41

Ah yes but you must realise that once the toyboy has made his entrance into your mentality, then age vanishes. OK I will admit to 35 of course. However that just makes me a cougar and no feeling of senior remains.
If I were really 35 and in the right vicinity...then I would be stalking, kidnapping and making merry with every delightful chosen one available. When I was 35 I could do that easily. Now it is a mere memory.

Old potato head will someday get mashed I hope. I cannot understand his grip at all.

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 4th, '12, 19:10

Okay, so what you are telling me is that I'm NOT a creeper? I think I've just met my new best friends :D

Oh and who is Potato Head?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 4th, '12, 19:17

cougar, creeper... I call it pedo-nuna and I'm fine with that. At least they are all legal.

I'm really not sure if we didn't shift this thread into some weird direction, ladies. It's fine to spazz over younger meat, but...
Briar wrote:
Oh and who is Potato Head?
You won't like it... JGS a.k.a. The Diva. :unsure:

Briar

Post by Briar » Jun 5th, '12, 02:18

No more weirdness from me. At least not on purpose.

And I am not concerned with criticism of who I like. Like I said, purely subjective. Like, I'm not getting the attraction to the actors who have had so much plastic surgery that it's obvious. But I noticed quite a following for some of them, so I didn't say anything.

I'm straying from topic but are you fans of Chinese movies?