Il Mare remake (The Lake House)

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
aya

Il Mare remake (The Lake House)

Post by aya » Dec 13th, '05, 08:38

I remember there was a previous thread about this before but I couldn't find it.

I'm sure everyone knows that "Il Mare" is being adapted into an American movie with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. And it will be released sometime during the summer of next year. So I just wanted to share this picture I found and see what you guys think.

I don't really have any high expectations about this movie... but what I'm really disappointed about is the gosh darn mailbox! It would have been nice if they used the same mailbox from the original movie.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Dec 13th, '05, 09:18

I have no expectations for this movie (prolly cuz I don't plan to watch it :roll ). To tell the truth, the remake of Shall We Dance wasn't all that bad, it just wasn't up to par with the original, so, that's the end of that. And to watch my favorite romantic korean movie been mishandled, no, I cannot and will not stand for that :cussing: Hopefully, they will give up on any possibility of a remake of My Sassy Girl (that would make me cringe, just at the thought :pale: )

aya

Post by aya » Dec 13th, '05, 09:21

LOL. They are remaking My Sassy Girl... and there were rumors that they casted Jessica Alba.

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Dec 13th, '05, 10:38

aya wrote:and there were rumors that they casted Jessica Alba.
That rumor is more than likely false. She's connected to a different remake, called Surprise Party. It's based off of a Korean film called Surprise. I highly doubt she's going to do two remakes of Korean films.

As for The Lake House, I'd probably see it. They've made a few changes, so it won't be exactly like Il Mare. But the basic premise is still there.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Dec 18th, '05, 03:40

aya wrote:LOL. They are remaking My Sassy Girl... and there were rumors that they casted Jessica Alba.
ugh dey can't cast Jessica Alba as the lead female!! she's not funny & they need someone who has experience in romantic comedy movies. They should cast actresses like Courteney Cox or Sarah Michelle Geller.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Dec 18th, '05, 03:42

oh & I can't wait to see da American version of Il Mare wit Sandra Bullock & Keanu Reeves.

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Dec 18th, '05, 03:56

aya wrote:LOL. They are remaking My Sassy Girl... and there were rumors that they casted Jessica Alba.
Ewww.. Jessica Alba? No offence.. I just can't picture her as a sassy girlfriend. :crazy:

tknoodles

American Version of Il Mare called The Lake house

Post by tknoodles » May 16th, '06, 08:52

I just saw the trailer of Il mare, or should i say The Lake House, today on tv. Here's the official website for the movie. It is to be released in June. I hope they credited the original movie.

http://thelakehousemovie.warnerbros.com/

Sassy Man

Post by Sassy Man » May 16th, '06, 12:11

i saw il mare on dvd on weekend. great movie.

i just love movies involving time travel..

how about The Terminator part VI v Jeon Ji Hyun???? box office record breaker, eh???

I hope they acknowldegde the original too.

and i sure as hell wished they'd picked someone apart from speedchick.

at least Jessica got the part in Yupgijok..

Saint

Post by Saint » May 16th, '06, 12:19

anything hollywood touches turns to ashes

superlarki

Post by superlarki » May 16th, '06, 13:04

Well i just watched the trailer.

And it has two of my old favourite hollywood actors - keanu reeves and sandra bullock. I loved them in speed. But
they are attempting to Westernise one of THE most amazing romantic movies I have seen in a long time. I don't know how successful they will be.
But since no one seemed to even know that this was being released then I would hazard a guess that its been in the pipeworks for awhile.

Also I felt that Sandra's intro to the trailer was very weak - she just seems to be too
bland and boring. She's not getting emotion across to me. But then who could they
have chosen for that role?

Personally even with all that the lake house seems to have going for it, I still prefer IL MARE - it is the original.
And it is not just hollywood that copies korean movies ( and gets them wrong) - can we really forget bollywood's attempt to pass off zinda as
a completely original and exciting story - that is as opposed to the complete knock-off it was of oldboy (minus certain themes!)

BTW yes they do credit IL MARE. if you watch the trailer right at the end it says that its based on the motion picture il mare produced by (1 of my
favourites) Sidus.

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » May 16th, '06, 13:10

Sandra Bullock is one of my fave actress during my younger years (speed enthusiast hehe) so i guess i could forgive them for making a remake of it.. i'll even watch it.. even though they changed the plot quite a bit... :glare: but of course there's just no duplicating the original.. Jeon Ji Hyun is the best! :thumleft:

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » May 17th, '06, 07:00

I wonder what would've happened if they're released il Mare in the United Stated with English Subs.

Would anybody see it?

I highly doubt it unless you're asian :lol

I saw the trailer on tv and it looks pretty similar to IL Mare as far as the house and storyline.

It's pretty hard to beat a remake of any movie cuz it's the first movie.
I'm gonna have to watch the movie to make a reasonable judgement :P

mrs_xaiko

Post by mrs_xaiko » May 17th, '06, 15:37

yeah i notice that they are making remakes of asian movies....like a couple months ago they made a movie i think it was called Aqua Marine but the storyline was kind of like the chinese movie Mermaid Got Married starring christy chung.....the mermaid gets legs and then falls in love or likes a guy....then now they have The Lakehouse which looks just like Il Mare.....i think its nice that they are remaking their own versions of the movies but I hope they do give credit to where they get the ideas from....

mrs_xaiko

Post by mrs_xaiko » May 17th, '06, 15:42

actually.....nvm....just did some research and found out the Mermaid Got Married is just like a remake of Splash

mystic818

Post by mystic818 » May 17th, '06, 23:47

I saw the trailer for The Lake House a couple days ago too. It actually looked pretty good, although as we all know, remakes generally are a disappointment compared to the original movie/book. It seems interesting enough to watch - you gotta love keanu reeves and sandra bullock! And it does seem like there has been lots of american remakes of japanese/korean movies these last couple of years...

superlarki

Post by superlarki » May 18th, '06, 00:22

We all know Hollywood seems to be continuing the trend of copying/remaking asian movies that was started possibly from the horror genre copies.
But, we shouldn't get too disappointed yet guys! No one has seen The Lakehouse yet - it may be worth it. Of course it can never ever possibly be better than the original! Can it?!

Just to let you know: If anyone knows their HONG KONG movies they'll know about the amazing "Infernal Affairs" movies starring Andy Lau, the first of which was released in 2002.

AND guess what...........?

That's right! Hollywood is making a remake of the first movie, and it will be called 'The Departed'.

The originals were amazing and even i loved them all.So can the Western versions do any better? Hollywood seems to have an ace up its sleeve as it is directed by Martin Scorsese and stars Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. Its in post--prodution at the moment so who knows when it will be released - is supposed to be 2006.

BTW we shouldn't forget that the trend works both ways, as Hollywood movies are remade/copied by Asian filmakers too!!

buffyreg
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by buffyreg » May 18th, '06, 05:04

i just saw the trailer and it looks pretty similar... and even the house is , u know has alomost the same structure... anyways, the characters are both good and my favs so im gonna watch it even though ive seen Il Mare...
Attachments
The Lake House
The Lake House
lakehouse.JPG (36.65 KiB) Viewed 7866 times

whatitdo

Post by whatitdo » May 18th, '06, 05:08

i liked the original as well. I don't know where i should place my expectations for lake house though =x i'm not fond of sandra bullock because of Crash, haha. and keanu reeves.. all he reminds me of is neo-esque chars. oh well, we'll see how it comes out. btw aren't they remaking my sassy girl as well?

buffyreg
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by buffyreg » May 18th, '06, 05:15

whatitdo wrote:i liked the original as well. I don't know where i should place my expectations for lake house though =x i'm not fond of sandra bullock because of Crash, haha. and keanu reeves.. all he reminds me of is neo-esque chars. oh well, we'll see how it comes out. btw aren't they remaking my sassy girl as well?
is there some news bout remaking my sassy girl? hahaha, im not sure if theyre gonna beat the original... twas very unique, for me... one of the best...

luckyboon

Post by luckyboon » May 18th, '06, 05:38

yea, i also saw the tailer out today. i might go and watch it

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » May 22nd, '06, 03:39

I just saw the trailer for The Lakehouse. I don't know, Hollywood remakes don't really appeal to me. I'll just watch it when it comes on satellite/cable. :) Hollywood can't really capture the "Asian" flavor, don't really know how to explain it. :D I guess certain movies can be copied but I don't think My Sassy Girl can be copied because the culture's just too different. JJH beat the crap out of that guy in the movie. In the U.S. that type of beating might land JJH a restraining order! :lol

superlarki...I know what u mean about the Infernal Affairs series, I watched all 3 and they were all good.

as for other remakes, money talks. as long there's money to be made, more movies will be re-made.

buffyreg
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by buffyreg » May 22nd, '06, 04:14

kali4niaguy: hello there! just saw your name in the index... so it seems youve seen Il Mare already....

anyways, i still would like to see the movie The Lake House... one bad trait of mine, am quite a movie addict espcially if i like the castings.... i agree bout some korean movies, too much beatings and all... ive assumed that its against the law in some countries but bout the culture, it could be adjusted in some ways...i suppose... havent seen infernal affairs, was it good?

hacksign

Post by hacksign » May 22nd, '06, 04:59

I'll probably end up watching it just cause it's a remake of one of my favorite movie, but after seeing the previews, I'm a little disappointed. The script didn't give me the same sort of appeal--too "American"? The acting is the same way. When I watched Il Mare it had a melancholic feel to it (which made me unwilling to watch it for a while), but with this... it starts off too strong and evidently continues like that throughtout. Altogether, I might say they lost the entire feel of Il Mare. Somehow images of the movie "You Got Mail" enter my mind when they were reading and writing the letters... probably end up only as an okay movie to decent movie.

Meiki

Post by Meiki » May 23rd, '06, 21:11

superlarki wrote:Well i just watched the trailer.

And it has two of my old favourite hollywood actors - keanu reeves and sandra bullock. I loved them in speed. But
they are attempting to Westernise one of THE most amazing romantic movies I have seen in a long time. I don't know how successful they will be.
But since no one seemed to even know that this was being released then I would hazard a guess that its been in the pipeworks for awhile.

Also I felt that Sandra's intro to the trailer was very weak - she just seems to be too
bland and boring. She's not getting emotion across to me. But then who could they
have chosen for that role?

Personally even with all that the lake house seems to have going for it, I still prefer IL MARE - it is the original.
And it is not just hollywood that copies korean movies ( and gets them wrong) - can we really forget bollywood's attempt to pass off zinda as
a completely original and exciting story - that is as opposed to the complete knock-off it was of oldboy (minus certain themes!)

BTW yes they do credit IL MARE. if you watch the trailer right at the end it says that its based on the motion picture il mare produced by (1 of my
favourites) Sidus.
Yes, Il Mare was a beautiful movie, but I don't like how Hollywood is going to Americanize the movie either. Jun Ji Hyun > Sandra Bullock.

khristine

Post by khristine » Jun 19th, '06, 09:31

i've already seen the lake house.. i should say that i like il mare's ending more..the lake house's ending is somewhat cheesy. lakehouse is more fast-paced and is more specific to some details though.

jennerz

Post by jennerz » Jun 19th, '06, 09:48

lakehouse was blahhh.. the plot wasn`t as appealing. hey killed it in the beginning. ending was too "out there". no suspense.. il mare was way better. =)

Dee_Chan^.^

Its coming out!!

Post by Dee_Chan^.^ » Jun 19th, '06, 13:31

Yeh Its soon comign out in Australian Cinemas im excited to make a comparison..personally i don't think it will be as good as Korean ver. But They chose really good actors who match!! :wub: