i have a problem of Korean money

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
jason901

i have a problem of Korean money

Post by jason901 » Mar 25th, '06, 02:03

how much are US 1 dollar to korea won?
i checked online is around 1000 won to 1 dollar
but when i see the korea dramas, i see them talk about 10 thousand won is like alot of money
but when i think about it, is only 10 dollars........
is it something wrong with the fansub or something else?
please help, so confusing

alliemon

Post by alliemon » Mar 25th, '06, 02:11

According to this site, $1 equals 974.280 KRW.

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Mar 25th, '06, 04:41

Perhaps if you gave more specifics about it, we could help you out. For all we know, someone could be complaining that 10,000 won is far too much for a can of Coke. And it would be.

It's possible that the subbers were trying to say 10,000 dollars, but forget to convert currency markers.

So yeah, some context would be nice.

yummiekiwi

Post by yummiekiwi » Apr 29th, '06, 00:37

I don't think you can compare a different country's currency to the US.. because the merchandise can be different for instances... I went over to visit a few Asian countries this summer.. and I spent my money like crazy.. why? because I don't understand their value of a dollar and because I am not a native there.. I got ripped off.. A LOT.. haha.. I got ripped off because I kept comparing it dollars... because I think wow.. it's more expensive in the US.. n is only this much USD..well if you're going or looking forward to traveling to Korea.. stick to the main big shops places where you don't have to bargin...I like the marked prices.. even though you get it for a little bit more expensive but you don't have to spend time barginin' or getting tricked.. hehe but if you have a native there that's excellent!

tdkyo

Re: i have a problem of Korean money

Post by tdkyo » Apr 30th, '06, 03:44

jason901 wrote:how much are US 1 dollar to korea won?
but when i see the korea dramas, i see them talk about 10 thousand won is like alot of money
It must be noted that although a numericial conversion of the currency yields a value that seems not that significant, Korea is still a developing nation compared to the United States. They have lower average wages and a lower economy than the U.S., so a value of $10 is considered worth more in the eyes of Koreans than Americans. Hope that helps!

Dokebi

Re: i have a problem of Korean money

Post by Dokebi » Apr 30th, '06, 09:14

tdkyo wrote:
jason901 wrote:how much are US 1 dollar to korea won?
It must be noted that although a numericial conversion of the currency yields a value that seems not that significant, Korea is still a developing nation compared to the United States. They have lower average wages and a lower economy than the U.S., so a value of $10 is considered worth more in the eyes of Koreans than Americans. Hope that helps!
although korea is obviously not as wealthy as the US, it is by no means a developing country...its already advanced nation with large economy...

BUT, its all how much merchandise in one country is relative to its currency... everything almost costs the same in korea compared to japan usually, except things in the market and food, b/c food is really cheap.

you can actually do alot with 10 dollars in korea, but maybe not buy too much stuff, so i they see 10 dollars as being alot...
i mean you can spend teh whole day and night and morning at a jjimjilbang with like 6 bucks. i mean of course they assume you will buy food and other stuff there, but you arent forced :)

yurrie

Post by yurrie » Apr 30th, '06, 11:25

ehm maybe the person on that movie is a poor person?
so that kind of money is a big amount?

freshfromnap

Post by freshfromnap » May 1st, '06, 03:47

A dollar is usually somewhere around 1,000 won. 1,000 won has the same value in korea as a dollar has in the States. The currency comes in 1000 won, 5000 won, and 10000 won.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » May 14th, '06, 03:53

i'm in korea now and 10,000 Won doesnt buy you alot. buses are normally 900 - 1,300 depending on if you're on a delux bus. a 4 hours bus ticket from Gjeongju (old capital) to Gwangju cost me 20,000 w.

in korea you dont get ripped off. ive tried getting overcharged by giving them more money than i should and they give it back lol. a bottle of beer like bud is 5,000 in a club or 1,300 in 7-11 or other 24 hour shops. also, hard to believe i know, but 10,000 dollar note is the highest currency note around. walking around with 400,000 bill notes all in 10,000 is quite a waste of time. why they havent thought of making a 50,000 note is beyond me

basically 10,000 won is $10 give or take a few, or 5 pounds in sterling

KCfan_1314

Post by KCfan_1314 » Jul 18th, '06, 22:23

so if u went into a restraunt how much does it cost just to eat a bowl of noodle of something ?

groink

Post by groink » Jul 18th, '06, 22:31

KCfan_1314 wrote:so if u went into a restraunt how much does it cost just to eat a bowl of noodle of something ?
I don't have a direct answer, but I think it depends on where in Korea you're at. Earlier this month, it was announced that Seoul is the second most expensive city in the world, based on the cost of living, such as food and living quarters. Other cities in Korea may be less expensive. For example, in Japan, Tokyo and Osaka are the most expensive cities, while the other cities in that country are less expensive.

--- groink

KCfan_1314

Post by KCfan_1314 » Jul 18th, '06, 22:33

groink wrote:
KCfan_1314 wrote:so if u went into a restraunt how much does it cost just to eat a bowl of noodle of something ?
I don't have a direct answer, but I think it depends on where in Korea you're at. Earlier this month, it was announced that Seoul is the second most expensive city in the world, based on the cost of living, such as food and living quarters. Other cities in Korea may be less expensive. For example, in Japan, Tokyo and Osaka are the most expensive cities, while the other cities in that country are less expensive.

--- groink
thank you x) hahahah all i think about is food :wub: hahaha i needa go to korea =) for its food -.-` i mma such a pig

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Jul 19th, '06, 01:09

"A bowl of noodles" is pretty vague. There's all types of noodles, quality of noodles, and noodle shops.

If you want to be real cheap in Seoul, go to the north side of the Han River. The cost of living is far cheaper than the south side. Try not to go to the tourist-y areas, as those will be more expensive on average. If you look hard enough, you can find good deals on food and some other things. The smaller mom-and-pop restaurants are more likely to give you a better deal.

10,000 won can actually last a good while in Korea. When I was there, a bus ride was only 800 won with the pass card (that's about 80 cents). Of course, if you go eat the expensive stuff and drink the high quality beers and imported stuff, 10,000 won isn't going to last long.

As for bills higher than 10,000 won, there are the "supyo." They're in 100,000 denominations, and look kind of like checks.

Why anyone would carry 400,000 won in cash at once is beyond me.

KCfan_1314

Post by KCfan_1314 » Jul 19th, '06, 15:25

lols thanksss x) hahaha wat if u want to buy like a cd . . or dvd >_<` man i asking to much ?

Tristiseye

Post by Tristiseye » Jul 22nd, '06, 07:11

10,000 won is quite a bit of money...

Minimum wage in Korea is around 4000-5000 won an hour. Someone asked how much a bowl of ramyeon would be-- average is around 2000-2500 won. So, if you do the math, that's about 4-5 meals on 10,000 won alone.

A meal is around 4000-5000 won, but it usually consists of a ton of food- around 10-15 side dishes, soup, plus your main entree.

An expensive meal is around 8000-10,000 won. For example, a meal of shabu shabu is around 8000 won. (at least in my city- but it's not Seoul.)

Seoul IS expensive, but that's due to people buying non Korean food. I went to an Indian restaurant, and the average entree was 20,000 won-- that's really expensive in Korea.

Korea isn't as cheap as it used to be, especially with the won becoming stronger, but it still can be cheap, if you know where to shop and where to eat!

I live three hours away from Seoul, and an express bus ticket is only 15,100 won (about 15 USD)-- pretty damn cheap, if you ask me.

Hope that answers your question---

P.S. And why they didn't make denominations higher than 10,000.. that goes into economics, but esentially, if they started producing them now, it would cause inflation, unless the money produced is taken out to equalize the flow of cash.. Anyway, haivng the bills they way they are is more precise..the value is... hard to explain-sorry.

dracorealmss

Post by dracorealmss » Jul 22nd, '06, 13:29

erm i think u all got it wrong... =p i think what jason901 meant is something in a situation like :

girl has to pay fathers debt (10,000) and in the scene it looks like DAM big money which is hard to get and which we know is only (10 usd)...

only explanation i think its, the subtitler canceled the 3 back zeroes (so its in usd)? or probably maybe cuz in korea perhaps ppl consider 1000 won as a "dollar term"

mkaymrxo

Post by mkaymrxo » Jul 22nd, '06, 14:34

In the drama series "Ruler of your own world - as you wish"
the doctors said that the girl need 5,000,000 for her operation...so does that mean the operation only costs 5,000 in USD??
thats cheap!
&& her illness wasnt common either.

beer

Post by beer » Aug 29th, '06, 19:12

I seriously wish fansubbers would leave currency alone! If it's a won deal, then it's a won deal, not a dollar deal.

E.g. in 101st proposal the auction ends in ep03 with 4,099,199 won. In ep04 the recap of the scene shows the bid as 4,999.99 dollars.

- You bought this for 5000 dollars?
[...]
- Even if you had a lot of money, you wouldn't buy this for 5000 won.
[...]
If you give me 5000 won, I'll give you 10 cents back in cash.
[...]
Lady, give me 10 cents for change.
[...]
5,000 dollars?
[...]
What made you buy this for 5000 dollars?

It doesn't add up in any currency!

As it has been pointed out - converting currency doesn't work. You cannot even gauge the prices of goods in any relevant manner. Have a look at http://www2.acnielsen.com/news/20060424 ... tail.shtml - the cheapest potato chips and most expensive soft drinks are both sold in Denmark.

If a soft drink costs 1,000,000 won, let it cost 1,000,000 won. It either makes sense in Korea or not, but it sure as hell doesn't for me if I get it listed in approximate dollars that have right now a record low exchange rate with euro.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Aug 30th, '06, 04:27

Tristiseye wrote:10,000 won is quite a bit of money...

Minimum wage in Korea is around 4000-5000 won an hour. Someone asked how much a bowl of ramyeon would be-- average is around 2000-2500 won. So, if you do the math, that's about 4-5 meals on 10,000 won alone.

A meal is around 4000-5000 won, but it usually consists of a ton of food- around 10-15 side dishes, soup, plus your main entree.

An expensive meal is around 8000-10,000 won. For example, a meal of shabu shabu is around 8000 won. (at least in my city- but it's not Seoul.)

Seoul IS expensive, but that's due to people buying non Korean food. I went to an Indian restaurant, and the average entree was 20,000 won-- that's really expensive in Korea.

Korea isn't as cheap as it used to be, especially with the won becoming stronger, but it still can be cheap, if you know where to shop and where to eat!

I live three hours away from Seoul, and an express bus ticket is only 15,100 won (about 15 USD)-- pretty damn cheap, if you ask me.

Hope that answers your question---

P.S. And why they didn't make denominations higher than 10,000.. that goes into economics, but esentially, if they started producing them now, it would cause inflation, unless the money produced is taken out to equalize the flow of cash.. Anyway, haivng the bills they way they are is more precise..the value is... hard to explain-sorry.

The prices are same in Korea as here... Some stuff might be cheap some stuff more expensive...

Buying a bowl of Ramyun is cheap... But that is Ramyun... The cheapest food you can get... Sort of like double chesseburger at McDonalds...

If you eat decent stuff it's more expensive... Like seafood for instance is more expensive in Korea... Meat is probably little more expensive too..

10000 is nothing in Korea just like it's nothing here... You can buy food... Maybe 3 meals if you eat cheap... Or buy cheap clothes in street vendor...

Lot of places to go for entertainment... You've got all these BANG's to goto for cheap...

I think people are ripping people off here when it comes to surgery or medical crap.. No one can afford surgery here without health care or some kind of AID..