Ajaja Fighting

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
crzycpl

Ajaja Fighting

Post by crzycpl » Jul 15th, '06, 09:28

What does this actually mean? Fighting bit I get, but I don't have a clue what the ajaja bit means. Anyone know?

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Jul 15th, '06, 14:28

Hmmm... how do you put it... guess you can say it's like 'Gambateh'! :lol

requiem

Post by requiem » Jul 16th, '06, 03:34

Think "faito" (fight!) in Japanese. English words usually are given emphasis in other languages, so using them means something pretty intense. In this case, it's similar to "do my best" or "overcome it!" "Ajaja" sounds like Korean gibberish to me.

Then again, I dunno a damn word of Korean...*dials up ex-gf*

...she has spoken; 'tis onomotopoeia. :-)

HanulSky

Aja

Post by HanulSky » Jul 16th, '06, 05:20

I think it's a invented teenage, cutesy girl word. I don't see old people using it. So it's not a traditional korean word at all. And didn't hear aja until Lovers in Paris. Hmm.

And so I think: Aja is is slang word for saying I can. :scratch:

Oh yeah, and I'm korean. :wink:

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 16th, '06, 05:28

I don't think aja is a word at all. It's probably like cheerleaders going "ra ra shish boom ba." Or US military(marines?) saying "HOO-RAH!"

chocopolko

Post by chocopolko » Jul 16th, '06, 23:07

ajaaja is just something you say to mak it cute. ^^ 아자아자!~ 파이팅!~ ^0^

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jul 17th, '06, 03:16

It's like how middle and high school track teams in anime and J-dramas will always chant 「(school name here)!ファイト!ファイト!ファイト!」 ("(school name here)! Fight! Fight! Fight!") while running, except that in Korean it's phrased differently and used in more situations.

Actually, 頑張って/頑張れ (ganbatte/ganbare) is probably the closer Japanese translation, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

*now doinkies is wondering how they translate "aja aja fighting" in the Japanese dubs/subs of K-dramas XD*

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Jul 17th, '06, 03:27

from what a korean friend says, it really is just a saying like "You Can Do It" or "GO get em tiger" type of thing...it's just for encouragement

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 17th, '06, 03:39

doink-chan wrote:It's like how middle and high school track teams in anime and J-dramas will always chant 「(school name here)!ファイト!ファイト!ファイト!」 ("(school name here)! Fight! Fight! Fight!") while running, except that in Korean it's phrased differently and used in more situations.

Actually, 頑張って/頑張れ (ganbatte/ganbare) is probably the closer Japanese translation, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

*now doinkies is wondering how they translate "aja aja fighting" in the Japanese dubs/subs of K-dramas XD*
horndogbuddhist wrote:from what a korean friend says, it really is just a saying like "You Can Do It" or "GO get em tiger" type of thing...it's just for encouragement
I think that's for the WHOLE phrase "aja aja fighting" and not just the "aja aja" part.

crzycpl

Post by crzycpl » Jul 17th, '06, 09:33

in Full House, that Bi character did the Aja Aja bit and the girl added the Fighting (sorry I am really bad with remembering names :-( ). Anyway, its a pretty cute expression, might start using it now that I kind of have a clue what it means.