The Host, the movie everyone talks about in korea

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Romance

The Host, the movie everyone talks about in korea

Post by Romance » Aug 20th, '06, 13:21

The Best Selling Films of 2006

1 The Host 7,880,000 n/a Jul 27 2*

[img]http://www.solaceincinema.com/wp-conten ... poster.jpg[/img]

People who have seen it, both from korea and at festival screenings here in the west, call it the best monster movie ever.

cant wait to watch

~anjelic~

Post by ~anjelic~ » Aug 20th, '06, 14:46

I work in a cinema in Sydney Australia and we are showing The Host. It has been very popular and all the customers coming out of it are raving about it :thumright:
I haven't had a chance to watch it myself yet but when I do I will post my rating up here :D

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Aug 20th, '06, 15:53

I've been reading reviews and news abt this movie from the papers and it seems really interesting... couldn't wait to watch it though I've read something like a guy saying that the graphics in the movie are not so good. However, I'm still really excited abt this one!!! :lol

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Aug 20th, '06, 16:21

Bah I was hoping to see some kind of info about it since the topic is so hot! But there's none about the movie :(!!!

Syuichi

Post by Syuichi » Aug 20th, '06, 16:36

I hope it breaks the King and The Clown record. The Host has a great cast with Song Kang Ho and Bae Doona. I can't wait to see it.

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy » Aug 20th, '06, 21:05

~anjelic~ wrote:I work in a cinema in Sydney Australia and we are showing The Host. It has been very popular and all the customers coming out of it are raving about it :thumright:
I haven't had a chance to watch it myself yet but when I do I will post my rating up here :D
Heh, I saw the film last friday in Sydney at Market City cinemas....

It was absolutely brilliant, I must say. I loved Joon-ho Bong's previous films, so I was very much so anticipating this. It really didnt dissappoint. And yes it is the best monster movie ever. :-)

lainey

Post by lainey » Aug 21st, '06, 02:09

can't wait to see it when it comes out on dvd!

~anjelic~

Post by ~anjelic~ » Aug 21st, '06, 04:12

:w00t:
Last edited by ~anjelic~ on Aug 21st, '06, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

~anjelic~

Post by ~anjelic~ » Aug 21st, '06, 04:15

Cassidy wrote:
~anjelic~ wrote:I work in a cinema in Sydney Australia and we are showing The Host. It has been very popular and all the customers coming out of it are raving about it :thumright:

It was absolutely brilliant, I must say. I loved Joon-ho Bong's previous films, so I was very much so anticipating this. It really didnt dissappoint. And yes it is the best monster movie ever. :-)
Hehe Really? :O I'm a manager at Reading CInemas, Market City and I was working on Friday. Which session were u watching?

~anjelic~

Post by ~anjelic~ » Aug 21st, '06, 04:23

Syuichi wrote:I hope it breaks the King and The Clown record. The Host has a great cast with Song Kang Ho and Bae Doona. I can't wait to see it.
We were showing Taegukgi and King and the clown at our cinemas as well and for some reason the host is doing nowhere as well as what Taegukgi and King and the Clown did. Taegukgi was our best one being sold out for about 3 weeks and it had no english subtitles so it was just real koreans!

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Aug 21st, '06, 04:41

I've always been a sucker for monster movies
This is the first time that I actually see a Korean made monster movie
Can't wait to see it

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Aug 21st, '06, 05:41

dxtr wrote:Bah I was hoping to see some kind of info about it since the topic is so hot! But there's none about the movie :(!!!
Here is the sypnosis :

Gang-du is a dim-witted man working at his father's tiny snack bar near the Han River. One day, Gang-du's one and only daughter Hyun-seo comes back from school irritated. She is angry at her uncle, Nam-il, who visited her school as her guardian shamelessly drunk. Ignoring her father's excuses for Nam-il, Hyun-seo is soon engrossed in her aunt Nam-joo's archery tournament on TV. Meanwhile, outside of the snack bar, people are fascinated by an unidentified object hanging onto a bridge. In an instant, the object reveals itself as a terrifying creature turning the riverbank into a gruesome sea of blood¡¦ Amid the chaos, Hyun-seo is helplessly snatched up by the creature right before Gang-du's eyes. These unforeseen circumstances render the government powerless to act. But receiving a call of help from Hyun-seo, the once-ordinary citizen Gang-du and his family are thrust into a battle with the monster to rescue their beloved Hyun-seo.

Credits to : www.hancinema.net

For more info & pictures, go to http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_The_Host.php :-)

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy » Aug 21st, '06, 06:18

~anjelic~ wrote:
Cassidy wrote:

Hehe Really? :O I'm a manager at Reading CInemas, Market City and I was working on Friday. Which session were u watching?
The 1:30 session. Heh.

I wanna go see the film again, its the type of film you want to rewatch over and over.

kootsvayouma

Gwoemul...

Post by kootsvayouma » Aug 25th, '06, 05:56

I saw this movie in Seoul before I came home for vacation. I can't speak Korean, but know just enough to catch the easy stuff. Anyway, thankfully this movie was not complicated to the point where a total understanding or subtitles were necessary.

It's a sweet and straightforward monster movie, and the creature (a grossly over-sized mutant tadpole) was very cute. *^^* It's also my favorite monster movie I've seen since i was a kid. I live one street away from the Han river park, so I know the area very well and maybe that's why I fell in love with the film. I have this romantic notion I'll run into one and we'll be best friends (a boy and his dog). \(^o^)/

It you find a way to see it without subtitles, all you need to know are the general characters which is basically a family: A grandfather, his two sons (one a business man and another a single father, his daughter (a professional archer) and his granddaughter. Believe me, everything else will fall into place.

Believe me, you have not seen a "giant monster" type movie such as this. This movie is very Korean, making it completely different than your typical American giant animal/insect movie or Japanese kaiju movie. It would be well worth your time to seek this one out and catch it on a big screen if at all possible.

I just wish I could find a torrent for it so I could show my friends here in the US. T.T' The general US (limited) release date seems to be around Jan 07, so I'll need to wait for a Korean version DVD to send.

If anyone does come across a torrent, please post it. I check multiple sites daily, but so there's no luck on my part. I know at least a cam version must be available. The way bootlegs are available in Seoul, it would be impossible to find some type of release for about 5,000-10,000 Won.

-Koots <^^> Gegol! Gegol!

kootsvayouma

Post by kootsvayouma » Aug 25th, '06, 06:00

~anjelic~ wrote:
Syuichi wrote:I hope it breaks the King and The Clown record. The Host has a great cast with Song Kang Ho and Bae Doona. I can't wait to see it.
We were showing Taegukgi and King and the clown at our cinemas as well and for some reason the host is doing nowhere as well as what Taegukgi and King and the Clown did. Taegukgi was our best one being sold out for about 3 weeks and it had no english subtitles so it was just real koreans!
\

Taeguki is also a very good movie. You can find the DVD easily enough now with subtitles, but it's also great on a big screen.

-Koots <^^> Gegol! Gegol!

Syuichi

Post by Syuichi » Aug 26th, '06, 19:02

~anjelic~ wrote:
Well, it looks like The Host will break the record that the King and The Clown holds. It took the King and the Clown over 3 months to sell over 10 million tickets. The Host hasn't even been in theaters a month and has already reached 8 million viewers.

Cefuroxime

Post by Cefuroxime » Aug 31st, '06, 05:13

I am not into monster films, but it's nice to have a movie gaining 8 million viewers. but I think it doesn't sound good for other films.

babyblueangel

Post by babyblueangel » Sep 4th, '06, 19:09

anyone know where i can find subtitles for this movie?

SillyYun

Post by SillyYun » Sep 23rd, '06, 06:31

anyone got the link for this movie clubbox and subs?

Baek

hmm

Post by Baek » Sep 23rd, '06, 06:36

we will have to wait until DVD comes out....i guess.

I SHOULD HAVE WATCHED WHEN I WAS IN KOREA A MONTHS AGO!
I DIDN'T THINK THAT MOVIE WOULD GAIN ALMOST 10MILLIONS PEOPLE!